Thrustmaster T-GT Wheel Thread

It turns out T-GT is simply GT branded PS4 version based on TS-PC and isn't direct drive. I feel...

• Excited - Still a new and the improved wheel for PS4 by Thrustmaster

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Fine - Knew it won't be direct drive all along

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Disappointed - Not a direct drive

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Extremely Disappointed - Not drive drive and poor pedals set

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which means i can only switch it off completely? I wanted to have the normal force feedback but without that GT Sport exclusive “deep force feedback”.

Switching off vibration only switches off DFB and leaves normal FFB intact. It is the same thing as setting the switch the "Other" though, so if you think that's not good enough then this probably isn't either.

Attachments

• T-GT1.JPG
    T-GT1.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 185
  • TGT2.JPG
    TGT2.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 186
So after just 15 months of use (and 80% of those are not hard usage by any means), my T-GT has now developed 2 problems. The Share button would press randomly in races causing the game to quit (even after setting it to "Hold for menu" it still does that sometimes). Secondly after a particularly hard 3 hour session of GT Sport the other night the rubber on the left side of the rim has flaked off and now it looks like someone took a sandpaper to my wheel. My G25 developed this problem as well but that was after 6-7 years of abuse and sweaty hands. I took care to wear cotton gloves with my T-GT and it developed this problem in a much shorter timeframe. Premium product my 🤬

Sorry to know that @LeGeNd-1 .
Yes my G29 developed similar issue but I was able to know the issues; opened the wheel and glued the main connection coming from wheel board to its connector. A bit of a shake caused the connection to be interrupted which sent all kind of orders at the same time quitting me to the home screen!
I hope it's still under warranty and that you can fix it if it's not!

Sorry to know that @LeGeNd-1 .
Yes my G29 developed similar issue but I was able to know the issues; opened the wheel and glued the main connection coming from wheel board to its connector. A bit of a shake caused the connection to be interrupted which sent all kind of orders at the same time quitting me to the home screen!
I hope it's still under warranty and that you can fix it if it's not!

Well I researched a bit online and most said similar - one of the connectors are probably misaligned. I took the wheel rim off and reseated it and haven't had the Share button problem so far *touch wood*. Still it's a bit annoying if you have to do it every so often. Unfortunately you can't glue the connector with Thrustmaster as the rims are designed to be replaceable. The leather issue is more cosmetic than anything, but still a pretty poor outcome for a $1000 piece of kit. Unfortunately the warranty only lasts 1 year so I'm out of luck it seems.

Anyway, I've now tried both Logitech and Thrustmaster. When I'm in the market for a new wheel next time I'm gonna go Fanatec. I just hope Polyphony has the sense to ditch TM as a partner and go with Fanatec instead. Gran Turismo with direct drive is going to be an experience to behold :drool:

Good evening! I have a T-GT, and was wondering if it’s possible to use the clutch and shift with the paddle shifters? This is how I drove in iRacing, but can’t seem to figure out a way to map it, or engage the clutch in GT Sport. My assumption is you need the Thrustmaster shifter plugged in to engage the clutch?

I’ve searched and haven’t come up with anything. Thanks for any info!

Good evening! I have a T-GT, and was wondering if it’s possible to use the clutch and shift with the paddle shifters? This is how I drove in iRacing, but can’t seem to figure out a way to map it, or engage the clutch in GT Sport. My assumption is you need the Thrustmaster shifter plugged in to engage the clutch?

I’ve searched and haven’t come up with anything. Thanks for any info!
The options are paddles/sequential shifter, H shifter or H shifter+clutch. Why would you use clutch with sequential shifter anyway? You can just press it if you like. It won't really have any effect IG, but if that makes you better racer ...

The options are paddles/sequential shifter, H shifter or H shifter+clutch. Why would you use clutch with sequential shifter anyway? You can just press it if you like. It won't really have any effect IG, but if that makes you better racer ...

Good morning! The main reason is for online time trials/races in GT Sport where if you don’t use the clutch to shift you are at a serious time disadvantage. I did try and use the clutch and shift with the paddles in game, but pressing the clutch doesn’t do anything, which is why I was asking.

This is the same reason I used the clutch with the paddles in iRacing, so I wouldn’t be at a time disadvantage.

Thanks!

Good morning! The main reason is for online time trials/races in GT Sport where if you don’t use the clutch to shift you are at a serious time disadvantage. I did try and use the clutch and shift with the paddles in game, but pressing the clutch doesn’t do anything, which is why I was asking.

This is the same reason I used the clutch with the paddles in iRacing, so I wouldn’t be at a time disadvantage.

Thanks!
I see. Well, you are at disadvantage because you are using sequential shifter with a car which has H shifter. The only way to overcome that is to buy a H shifter.

I see. Well, you are at disadvantage because you are using sequential shifter with a car which has H shifter. The only way to overcome that is to buy a H shifter.

That is essentially what I was trying to confirm....bummer! I appreciate the reply.

Cheers!

Hi anyone can help? My tgt downshift paddle need to press hard to downshift like the spring inside is jam. Can i open the cover to check? Thank you.

Hi anyone can help? My tgt downshift paddle need to press hard to downshift like the spring inside is jam. Can i open the cover to check? Thank you.
Check with Thrustmaster support to see if it's still under warranty first, opening it will void that. Some countries only have one year warranty, but others have two. Sorry I couldn't put a link here, their site was undergoing maintenance.

Check with Thrustmaster support to see if it's still under warranty first, opening it will void that. Some countries only have one year warranty, but others have two. Sorry I couldn't put a link here, their site was undergoing maintenance.
Yes still got warranty. But i scare it takes a long time.

Yes still got warranty. But i scare it takes a long time.
If you bought from a store you can just take it back. I've never had any issues with my T-GT but when my T500rs pedal springs broke (after warranty) they were helpful and it only took two weeks to get the parts in Australia (which is pretty normal for us down here). Once you get past the emailing back and forth bit things should go smoothly.

If you bought from a store you can just take it back. I've never had any issues with my T-GT but when my T500rs pedal springs broke (after warranty) they were helpful and it only took two weeks to get the parts in Australia (which is pretty normal for us down here). Once you get past the emailing back and forth bit things should go smoothly.
Thanks for reply. I think i will send it in after getting a spare wheel.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned already in this thread but I’ve only just realised you can use the TGT in ‘other’ mode on GT Sport. In other mode I found it to be much more similar to the feedback my G29 gave me (obviously smoother), whereas with it in ‘GT’ mode it would really emphasise understeer to the point where the wheel would go really light. I personally prefer it in other mode.
Are there any other TGT owners who have tried this? I’m interested in others opinions. Thanks

Not sure if it’s been mentioned already in this thread but I’ve only just realised you can use the TGT in ‘other’ mode on GT Sport. In other mode I found it to be much more similar to the feedback my G29 gave me (obviously smoother), whereas with it in ‘GT’ mode it would really emphasise understeer to the point where the wheel would go really light. I personally prefer it in other mode.
Are there any other TGT owners who have tried this? I’m interested in others opinions. Thanks

It is quite personal. I have heard some opinions (SRG) on how the tire model in GT sport with TGT actually exceeds other "sims" like AC and iRacing.

I have heard some opinions (SRG) on how the tire model in GT sport with TGT actually exceeds other "sims" like AC and iRacing.
Wait wait what!
The tire model is a very deep calculations/algorithms going on down deep the sim. This cannot be changed or altered in any way by simply changing the wheel, using a pad, a mouse and keyboard, or doing anything on your part. This is the basis of the physics of the sim.
What you probably meant, is that the force feedback felt better by changing the wheel mode, which is a very true statement.

Wait wait what!
The tire model is a very deep calculations/algorithms going on down deep the sim. This cannot be changed or altered in any way by simply changing the wheel, using a pad, a mouse and keyboard, or doing anything on your part. This is the basis of the physics of the sim.
What you probably meant, is that the force feedback felt better by changing the wheel mode, which is a very true statement.

You misunderstood. I was speaking of the game specifically with this wheel, not just the wheel. View the video to see what I meant.

I do. But it's mostly because I switch around between Driveclub and GTS a lot and Other mode works with both games (while GT mode obviously only works with GTS). I can't say I notice any major difference in physics/FFB. The T-DFB feedback is turned off in Other mode (which I actually also prefer), but you can also achieve that by turning off controller vibrations in the options in GT mode.

It is quite personal. I have heard some opinions (SRG) on how the tire model in GT sport with TGT actually exceeds other "sims" like AC and iRacing.

No way, not by a long shot. While it is improved from previous GT, it's still not in the same ballpark as Assetto, or even PCARS and Automobilista (which is based on the prehistoric ISImotor engine). No matter what wheel you use when you push the car 100% it's very clear that that tyre model in GT is not quite right. Opinions are opinions, but the SRG people are either shilling or they aren't very good at driving :lol: And no, I don't need to watch a 47 minute video to hear their explanation of it.

No way, not by a long shot. While it is improved from previous GT, it's still not in the same ballpark as Assetto, or even PCARS and Automobilista (which is based on the prehistoric ISImotor engine). No matter what wheel you use when you push the car 100% it's very clear that that tyre model in GT is not quite right. Opinions are opinions, but the SRG people are either shilling or they aren't very good at driving :lol: And no, I don't need to watch a 47 minute video to hear their explanation of it.

I was referring to a specific effect. I wam not claiming tiremodel FFB is better overall. SRG is one guy and in my opinion very much independant.

I was referring to a specific effect. I wam not claiming tiremodel FFB is better overall. SRG is one guy and in my opinion very much independant.

What's this specific effect then? The T-DFB? Because that's just basically a canned vibration effect to compensate for GT's glass smooth track surface. Sims with proper laser scan doesn't need T-DFB because the road surface creates its own vibrations that are physics based.

It's really quite simple. Between the game and the player, there are 3 main components: physics, FFB and hardware (wheel). Physics and FFB we know GTS is not as good. Hardware the T-GT is basically TS-PC with the T-DFB, so that equalises things. Unless I'm missing some secret option in the game, there is just no way GT can compete with the proper PC sims in driving feel at the moment.

What's this specific effect then? The T-DFB? Because that's just basically a canned vibration effect to compensate for GT's glass smooth track surface. Sims with proper laser scan doesn't need T-DFB because the road surface creates its own vibrations that are physics based.

It's really quite simple. Between the game and the player, there are 3 main components: physics, FFB and hardware (wheel). Physics and FFB we know GTS is not as good. Hardware the T-GT is basically TS-PC with the T-DFB, so that equalises things. Unless I'm missing some secret option in the game, there is just no way GT can compete with the proper PC sims in driving feel at the moment.

You are making wrong conclusion from my statement. I was referring to sliding specifically. I can only confirm for consoles between games but I agree with Barry's assesment. Nowhere did I ever state overal FFB is better then Pc-sims. Please watch the comment in the video at 40:00, 41:45

Edit: correction

Last edited:
You are making wrong conclusion from my statement. I was referring to sliding specifically. I can only confirm for consoles between games but I agree with Barry's assesment. Nowhere did I ever state overal FFB is better then Pc-sims. Please watch the comment in the video at 40:00, 41:45

Edit: correction

Got it. Should've been more specific in your original post then. It's kinda hard to know what you mean when it only refers to 2 minute section from a 47 minute video.

I feel GT does have one of the better oversteer feeling among sims. I think it's a conscious decision by PD to enhance this effect because IRL most of that oversteer feeling is from seat of the pants instead of the wheel. PC sims usually take the more 1:1 real life approach and only models FFB based on what happens IRL. All the ISImotor derived sims are guilty of this and I totally understand that feeling of hitting ice as soon as the rear end snaps out. In rFactor you can tinker with the FFB notepad by adding more % to rear tyre grip in the FFB calculations. In Assetto they have a slider to increase "Slip Effects". But neither are as natural as GT. The only other game which comes close to GT is LFS, which also has one of the best drifting physics and FFB in my opinion. Assetto Competizione added this dynamic damping effect which helps with catching slides, but again still feels a bit artificial.

In any case, it's all down to the different FFB programming between games and certainly not due to the T-GT itself or its T-DFB special effects.

Do you guys think its worth upgrading from a G29 to the TGT? Its still 500 bucks, but i think it was never cheaper. Would like to hear the thoughts of someone who experienced both wheels. And yeah, my G29 still works fine, so its a tough call.

Back