Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel Thread

Are the stock pedals good enough or do you use something else?

• Yes, stock pedals are good enough

Votes: 111 33.9%
  • No, I use Thrustmaster TP3A or third-party pedals

Votes: 216 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Need some quick advice on this one. I have a solid GT3RS v2 set with CS pedals, and I have no issue with the setup. The problem is lacking support on PS4 games. Is it a massive step down to jump on this recent deal posted above and just sell my existing gear? I had no idea I could use my CS pedals with this setup, so I guess that's an option as well. Thanks!

I own the Fanatec GT2 (functionally identical to the GT3RS but with Xbox 360 mode extra) and CS v1 pedals, and the T300 with T3PA.

Pros:
- T300 is more powerful than the Fanatec and has lower drag
- T300 feels like it has lower latency, making it easier to react faster
- PS rim button layout is really useful on console
- T3PA pedal set is comfortable and usable
- I hated the ergonomics of the Porsche rim, found it uncomfortable for 9/3 0' clock hand position, T300 is much better in that respect
- T300 has slightly better paddle shifters

Cons:
- Rubber 28cm rim is much less nice than the 30cm Alcantara rim
- CS pedals are sturdier than the TM ones, with a slightly longer throw and much more adjustability
- Proper load cell on the CS pedals versus the conical rubber stopper on the T3PA pedals
- T300 feels just a hint notchier when you move the rim when it's unpowered (you really don't notice it during driving though)
- This forum notes an unusually high failure rates on T300

In summary, I find the T300 wheelbase a way better FFB experience than the Fanatec, enough to justify the pedal "downgrade". Now that's to some extent because I am able to drive fine with the TM pedals (helped by years of positional brake muscle memory, versus the purely pressure muscle memory of a load cell): if you love the load cell braking experience then you might have a different opinion.

Welp after a year and 4 months my standard pedals have (almost) broke. The brake pedal now cannot input maximum force which makes things very tough to be competitive. Meaning I may need an upgrade, I have three options. A.) Buy the T3PA or Pro pedals (unsure which) B.) Buy a cheap set of T300RS pedals C.) find an alternative

But I'm stuck on deciding...

My setup isn't great so I did want to wait before fully upgrading my hardware but now I'm stuck. The price ranges of new pedals in Aus are very high. T3PA pro pedals are 239$ AUD vs standard at 155$ AUD. Anybody have any ideas?

Welp after a year and 4 months my standard pedals have (almost) broke. The brake pedal now cannot input maximum force which makes things very tough to be competitive. Meaning I may need an upgrade, I have three options. A.) Buy the T3PA or Pro pedals (unsure which) B.) Buy a cheap set of T300RS pedals C.) find an alternative

My setup isn't great so I did want to wait before fully upgrading my hardware but now I'm stuck. The price ranges of new pedals in Aus are very high. T3PA pro pedals are 239$ AUD vs standard at 155$ AUD. Anybody have any ideas?
The standard ones are rubbish. Save up a few dollars more for the pro's.You certainly wont regret it. I love my pro's with the conical mod.

I own both... And I'm sure I've summed up the differences in real use in the T3PA/T3PA-Pro thread:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/thrustmaster-t3pa-pro-t3pa-wide-pedal-set-thread.316480/

Edit: found it here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-pedal-set-thread.316480/page-8#post-10865187

Edit: Don't buy another set of T300RS pedals if you can possibly afford an alternative. They are so much worse than either of the other two.

Last edited:

Aren't the pedals still under warranty?

Mine also broke, but they were still under warranty and Thrustmaster sent me a new set.
By then I had already decided I wanted to upgrade to the T3PA Pro and grabbed the opportunity and sold the new set for €50, which were used towards funding the Pros. ;)

Thanks for your responses @shoemaker @skazz @35mm 👍
I'll be sure to check out your comparison Skazz :cheers:
As for warranty, I don't think so which is a shame.

While here I guess I should also ask, should I be concerned at a slight clicking noise when turning right? Only happens when idling but turned on or off, when theres actual FFB it's normal. The FFB is no different from new but it doesn't make any noise when turning left. Since my pedals broke now I'm very paranoid.

hello all. just bought myself a brand new T300 mainly for ps4 racing, my question is when i setup the wheel on the pc with the thrustmaster software does the settings save to the wheel, IE will the settings reflect across to the ps4.
iam asking this because to ffb in my ps4 dirt 4 game feels weak.. i can feel the ffb but its not very strong.. i have tryed adjusting the settings in the game but i dont have much idea of which one to turn up for more feel from the car wheels.
hope someone can help. thanks..

So I bought a replacement T300 from Box.co.uk a few weeks ago. Went for the Ferrari GTE Edition for £199 as it's still cheaper than buying just the base from TM. Put my 599 rim on, loaded up pCARS on PS4, went through the calibration screens, took a car out on track.... and nothing worked! Not the wheel, nor the buttons, nor the pedals... thought I'd bought a DOA unit, but after turning everything off and on again it all worked perfectly, and has done ever since.
Not quite sure what went wrong but it's so good to have a fully-working wheel again.

As for the service from Box, I've no complaints at all. Ordered the wheel on Sunday night, got it delivered to following Weds. Seems like a decent place to shop. Now I have 2 sets of stock pedals here (possibly will sell one) and soon I'll stick the GTE rim on ebay and see if what I can get for it (will keep the original RS rim as a back up as it probably has no real value, unlike the Ferrari one).

Report over :P

So I bought a replacement T300 from Box.co.uk a few weeks ago. Went for the Ferrari GTE Edition for £199 as it's still cheaper than buying just the base from TM. Put my 599 rim on, loaded up pCARS on PS4, went through the calibration screens, took a car out on track.... and nothing worked! Not the wheel, nor the buttons, nor the pedals... thought I'd bought a DOA unit, but after turning everything off and on again it all worked perfectly, and has done ever since.
Not quite sure what went wrong but it's so good to have a fully-working wheel again.

As for the service from Box, I've no complaints at all. Ordered the wheel on Sunday night, got it delivered to following Weds. Seems like a decent place to shop. Now I have 2 sets of stock pedals here (possibly will sell one) and soon I'll stick the GTE rim on ebay and see if what I can get for it (will keep the original RS rim as a back up as it probably has no real value, unlike the Ferrari one).

Report over :P
i have been using the Fanatec csr Elite and csr pedals for quite some time but its no good for the ps4 games, (wont work) so might put them on ebay in the near future.. i went for the thrustmaster t300rs. its a nice unit and works well but i just need to get the ffb to be more stronger. only had it two days so still messing about with it. got it from the BT shop online at £201.00. can next day as well. can you share you ps4 settings with me for PCARS as i have this game..

i have been using the Fanatec csr Elite and csr pedals for quite some time but its no good for the ps4 games, (wont work) so might put them on ebay in the near future.. i went for the thrustmaster t300rs. its a nice unit and works well but i just need to get the ffb to be more stronger. only had it two days so still messing about with it. got it from the BT shop online at £201.00. can next day as well. can you share you ps4 settings with me for PCARS as i have this game..
FFB in pCARS is an absolute minefield. Far too many sliders to tinker with. I suggest trying some settings out from this place:
http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

I'm currently using the 66% settings and it feels way better than whatever I was using for over a year.

brill
FFB in pCARS is an absolute minefield. Far too many sliders to tinker with. I suggest trying some settings out from this place:
http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

I'm currently using the 66% settings and it feels way better than whatever I was using for over a year.
brilliant... thanks bleeder, just registered and had a quick look around, going to give some of these a run latter. whats your ps4 user name ?.
will add you latter tonight when home from work..

brill

brilliant... thanks bleeder, just registered and had a quick look around, going to give some of these a run latter. whats your ps4 user name ?.
will add you latter tonight when home from work..
Yeah there's lots there. Probably too many but you'll find something you like no doubt.
My PSN is Mauler_77

Also check out this site for tunes (I have a load there too):
http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar

hello all. just bought myself a brand new T300 mainly for ps4 racing, my question is when i setup the wheel on the pc with the thrustmaster software does the settings save to the wheel, IE will the settings reflect across to the ps4.
iam asking this because to ffb in my ps4 dirt 4 game feels weak.. i can feel the ffb but its not very strong.. i have tryed adjusting the settings in the game but i dont have much idea of which one to turn up for more feel from the car wheels.
Go into your thrustmaster software, crank up the ffb and it will save to the wheels on board memory...that should now be same on pc too. Enable forced cooling on the wheel too(fan always on). Then you shouldnt get any ffb fading.

Go into your thrustmaster software, crank up the ffb and it will save to the wheels on board memory...that should now be same on pc too. Enable forced cooling on the wheel too(fan always on). Then you shouldnt get any ffb fading.
thanks, do you mean setup the wheel on pc first then all settings will save to wheel then apply when used on ps4

thanks, do you mean setup the wheel on pc first then all settings will save to wheel then apply when used on ps4
Yes, you can only change wheel settings using the tm software. The wheel has built in memory for firmware updates and settings. Once applied,these settings will work on pc and ps4. Hope that helps.

Yes, you can only change wheel settings using the tm software. The wheel has built in memory for firmware updates and settings. Once applied,these settings will work on pc and ps4. Hope that helps.
Thanks thats what i wanted to hear..

Oh I forgot about the forced cooling setting. Did that on my first wheel and kinda hoped new wheels would have this applied out of the box but now I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't seem as loud as the previous one but I'll look into it anyway.

Are you sure about that mate?

My understanding is that you can update the wheel firmware via the PC, however I assume it will have come with v25 firmware out of the box.
https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/t300rs-en/
All the other PC driver settings are entirely and solely relevant when playing PC sims.

This is how to change cooling fan operation, in the firmware of the device itself and not on the PC drivers:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00156.pdf

I don't really know about Dirt 4, but with the T300 FFB on Dirt Rally feels very weak. So I think it's normal, and it's just the way the game is. I think I just adjusted the in game FFB strength to 125% or 150%.

thanks for all your help with FFB, i now have the FFB working quite well in Dirt 4. i went on my pc and set the ffb to the highest point.
then back into the PS4 dirt 4 game, did a bit of messing with the setting in the game and it seems fine now.
just got a problem with my f1 2016 now.. NO FFB at all.

Are you sure about that mate?

My understanding is that you can update the wheel firmware via the PC, however I assume it will have come with v25 firmware out of the box.
https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/t300rs-en/
All the other PC driver settings are entirely and solely relevant when playing PC sims.

This is how to change cooling fan operation, in the firmware of the device itself and not on the PC drivers:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00156.pdf
I think you have completely misread it. I dont know what you are on about 'pc drivers'. The only way to access the wheel settings is using the tm software which you can only do on a pc because the software is only on pc ! Where you've got this 'pc drivers' from i have no idea. Whatever changes made to the wheel using the gain menu in tm software are saved directly onto the wheel, nowhere else. Therefore those settings are applied to both ps4 and pc. In game wheel settings are saved to the ps4 or pc and are completely irrelevant to the wheels memory. Firmware can only be updated with the tm software. Forced cooling can be done without tm software but that WILL save directly to the wheel as long as you have the latest firmware installed. Hope this clears it up !

Last edited:
I think you have completely misread it. I dont know what you are on about 'pc drivers'. The only way to access the wheel settings is using the tm software which you can only do on a pc because the software is only on pc ! Where you've got this 'pc drivers' from i have no idea. Whatever changes made to the wheel using the gain menu in tm software are saved directly onto the wheel, nowhere else. Therefore those settings are applied to both ps4 and pc. In game wheel settings are saved to the ps4 or pc and are completely irrelevant to the wheels memory. Firmware can only be updated with the tm software. Forced cooling can be done without tm software but that WILL save directly to the wheel as long as you have the latest firmware installed. Hope this clears it up !
The gain menu you are referring to installed when you install the TM PC drivers and it is only relevant for PC games run on the PC on which you installed those drivers. Nowhere else.

Don't believe me, here's a fun test: Install the TM software on 2 PCs. Plug the wheel into one of the two and set gain to 2%. Then unplug the wheel, and plug the wheel into the second PC. hey presto gain will show the default 75%, not 2%. Because the gain setting doesn't place anything into the T300 firmware.

Seriously, try it because it seems to be the only way you will believe me.

yeh.. there is only one team in south yorkshire. yes add me on psn its sheffield_united
if you know anyone who wants a immaculate Fanatec csr elite and cs pedals then let me know as i have my old setup for sale
now i have a thrustmaster t300. i have set up most games now just got driveclub vr and dirt rally vr to setup.

Knowing that the Thrustmaster T-GT is more or less identical to the TS-PC Racer, is the T-GT worth 2-3 times the price of the T300RS? I want a new wheel for GT Sport. I already own a Fanatec Clubsport V2.5 for the PC and looked at some of the TS-PC Racer reviews and figured the T-GT isn't worth the extra coin.

Back