Thrustmaster T300RS - random button presses issue.

• Thread starter prarts
  • 109 comments
Have you updated the firmware? This has worked for some people. I was having the issue several times a day and the update solved the problem. Haven't had issues for 6 months.

Last edited:
Have you updated the firmware. This has worked for some people. I was having the issue several times a day and the update solved the problem. Haven't had issues for 6 months.

Did you make sure the rim is tight? The ffb may cause it to loosen a little

Yeah it’s on there as tight as tight as possible but still has a bit of play.

Have you updated the firmware? This has worked for some people. I was having the issue several times a day and the update solved the problem. Haven't had issues for 6 months.

That’s good to hear. I will definitely update and let you guys know if it fixes it. Thanks for giving me hope!

My T300:
- Presses start by itself
- Presses up by itself
- Presses home by itself
- Presses share by itself

If I bought another wheel I would be attracted to the T-GT.. But it’s so expensive, and knowing my luck it will have some other issue..

Everything I buy these days has some sort of error :(

Has anyone emailed Thrustmaster and told them about this thread, or how there are so many people having the exact same problem?

I still have this problem with the random button press. Happened today when racing online.

Ive had t300rs since they were released. The rim to button box connection points loosen under the loads of use, then random inputs show up , not a issue with the plug or at least in my case. However ,it is important to inspect the din connector and always make sure the collar is tight. Follow the steps and u should be money.
Pull your rim, and 1st tighten the philips button box screws on the back, then the do the 2.5mm hexes on the face of the rim. Repeat as needed till u figure out your own maintenance schedule , 4yr t300=every 1-2hrs or drive time

P.s. i learned all of this the hard way. I followed all of customer service directions and ended up with multiple bases and rims per thrustmaster and eventually thru all that determined a tighter screw could of saved all that $, so i also bought a fanatec. Because any company whom 1st suggests to buy more stuff surely is cracked. So if someone has already covered this, sorry, but hopefully it helps put this to bed.

I fixed the random button presses.

- I updated my wheel from version 25 to the latest 28.
- I tightened the 6 bolts on the face plate. This eliminated a small wobble I had in the wheel which I previously thought was coming from the quick release cap.

I'm a G29 owner but I've had similar issues on my wheel.
I think it's definitely hardware and not software.
Something is lose on the inside (probably a plug) and is moving under heavy FFB moments.
I had to open the wheel and correct the plug.
Try to look up a T300 repair guide or opening wheel guide and see which plug might be the culprit.
Hope this helps.

Yes. Take your wheel off, look at the connector at the back (looks like old ps2 keyboard connector) that was the problem for me. You need to take the wheel apart, the cable will detech from the button pcb and the unscrew the 2 screws off the other end off the plastic wheel frame. You then can replace the end with a new connector.
Sounds harder than it is, as long as you know how to solder.
hey! Could you help me out as to where I could find a replacement connector?

I'm new to GT-Sport and ps4 online racing.
I have always been doing a bit more realistic racing sims on my game-PC. But never ever did the Thrustmaster T300rs gave me any issues on the PC (apart from fading after a certain amount of time when driven at higher FFB levels).

Just recently (two weeks ago) started racing with the ps4, and straight away it gave me all these issues. Random pressing PS-button, pushing D-pad buttons etc.
Tightning the rim and any of the screws, or even applying contact-spray on the connectors didnt help.

Yesterday i have done the manual firmaware update with the use of my PC (v29 is the latest update at this moment), and set the wheel to ps3 mode.
That fact that certain buttons dont work anymore in ps3 mode doesnt bother me, as i use the ds4 for menu things / typing chat anyway.

I have been using the wheel the entire evening (4-hour session or so) and not ones did it push a random button.
If its the firmware update or the ps3-mode that did the trick, is not yet clear at this moment. "I'll try the ps4-mode this evening and see if that works to"

But i'm kinda happy, as for now its looks like the problem has been solved.

I haven't had a single random button press issue since updating the firmware in April last year. Was getting it several times each day before. Still using the wheel in PS4 mode.

There is keyboard delay settings in PS4 menu too. Don't know is it work, but since I updated wheel firmware and adjusted buttons delay to max, I don't have random buttons press anymore.

There is keyboard delay settings in PS4 menu too. Don't know is it work, but since I updated wheel firmware and adjusted buttons delay to max, I don't have random buttons press anymore.

I did the same thing when I updated the firmware.

Hi guys, signed up just to ask this.

How do I get my ps4 to recognize my wheel as ps3 mode? I have the button issue, happens about once an hour. Tried a bunch of things but they dont work.

Will go home to update my firmware and try ps3 mode. Last night I tried ps3, but the wheel wouldnt work in game (Not recognized?)

I know in PS4 mode, I have to press the button on my wheel to activate it as my controller. But how do I do this in ps3 mode?

Hi guys, signed up just to ask this.

How do I get my ps4 to recognize my wheel as ps3 mode? I have the button issue, happens about once an hour. Tried a bunch of things but they dont work.

Will go home to update my firmware and try ps3 mode. Last night I tried ps3, but the wheel wouldnt work in game (Not recognized?)

I know in PS4 mode, I have to press the button on my wheel to activate it as my controller. But how do I do this in ps3 mode?

Hopefully you wont have to use ps3 mode. I havent had any random button press issues in over a year using the ps4 mode.

My T300 wheel had the same prolem. Initially it was a random gear change, then it got worse would randomly press all buttons at once. In effect the wheel became useless. After testing as best as i could, it was the mini din (ps2) connector which failed. Thrustmaster didnt want to help, i sent the problem part but wouldnt even send a replacement.
View attachment 685753
This was the fault, the connector which connects the wheel / paddels buttons to the main unit.

Basically stripped back the wire near the mini din end, noting the colour wire to the corresponding pin. Choped the wire and soldered it onto new connector and worked perfect.
I had the same problem with my Thrustmaster T150, random button pressing, impossible to use. Read your post, changed the cable and voila. Thank you so much.

My T300 wheel had the same prolem. Initially it was a random gear change, then it got worse would randomly press all buttons at once. In effect the wheel became useless. After testing as best as i could, it was the mini din (ps2) connector which failed. Thrustmaster didnt want to help, i sent the problem part but wouldnt even send a replacement.
View attachment 685753
This was the fault, the connector which connects the wheel / paddels buttons to the main unit.

Basically stripped back the wire near the mini din end, noting the colour wire to the corresponding pin. Choped the wire and soldered it onto new connector and worked perfect.
where can i buy these????

View attachment 685753

where can i buy these??

Back