Thrustmaster T300RS - random button presses issue.

• Thread starter prarts
  • 109 comments
Since my first days with this wheel in 2015 (bought with PCars 1 and full PS4 compatibility in mind) I`m having this issue with totally random, "ghost" button presses. Since that days I`m seeing reports from other T300 users with exactly the same problem at various message boards. Recently after GTSport launch there is another spike in number of them, so I think that issue is definitely serious one and at large scale.
In 2015 I have contacted Thrustmasters directly about this issue. After few emails, they decided to send me a new replacement rim. With it the problem was still unresolved. Then I sent whole set to Thrustmaster to be inspected throughtly for two weeks, with different use case scenarios. They couldn`t find any flaw in it. I guess it`s too random and too rare to observe it in service center. They couldn`t spend tens of man hours on it I guess so they sent it back to me (original set), I gave up and learned to live with those "ghost" button presses and we are here today.

What are the symptoms?
You are racing and your lights start to flicker, HUD display mode changes, game is pausing, PS4 dashboard comes up or you are seeing share screenshots that you don`t remember etc. All random, all by itself, as you would have third arm that is messing with you lol. Three weeks no problem than suddenly three i.e. pauses during one race.

Some of the reports:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...dom-buttons-being-pushed-(just-not-by-me)-BUG
http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/20200-t300-random-button-activation/
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...-racing---Thrustmaster-Ferrari-458-wheel.aspx
https://apexonlineracing.com/community/threads/current-bug-list.8912/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/one-for-the-wheel-experts.36912/page-2

many posts by many users here on GTplanet, scattered across different threads
and others...

What I did, my observations:
- it`s always the same buttons, regardless of the game, PS4 console used, console/wheelbase firmware: mine ALWAYS presses "Up" and/or "Start" (hardware issue not software?);
- it`s always buttons on the rim, not the ones located on the wheelbase itself (R3 and L3);
- changing standard GT rim for a new one didn`t fix it, still it was pressing the same mentioned buttons (issue located in the wheelbase?);
- changing USB (to PS4) and power cable (to wall socket) didn`t fix it;
- changing console (standard PS4 to PS4Pro in my case; also borrowed two different PS4s from friends they were launch unit and newer slim revision; so it makes four different PS4 tested) didn`t fix it;
- looking at reports date, production date/revision of the T300 doesn`t matter: it affects first launch batch as well the newest one with fan redesing;
- sofa and carpet changed, no effect (yeah really, changed apartment ;-) ).

What is common in my case, what I haven`t changed and tried:
- wheelbase is still the same (T300 obviously);
- pedal set is still the same (taken from my previous T500, so basically T3PA Pro with different markings color - red instead of grey);
- Wheelstand Pro Deluxe v2 still used with T300;
- TV+surround receiver+speakers set is the same, as well its cabling;
- I`m not using gloves, bare hands;
- same shoes with flat rubber;
- PS4 and T300 are plugged to two different power sockets (no signal interference).

By creating this OT my intention is to gather all the people with this issue in one place to investigate and narrow down what is the cause. Is this some weird user error or rather a flaw in T300 design?
We need to figure it out so please share your reports.

Last edited:
I have this problem with my T300RS as well. It always seems to occur while I am turning the wheel to the right when playing GT Sport. I purchased this wheel to play GT6 in Feb 2015 with the future compatibility for GT Sport in mind. I never, ever, experienced random mysterious button pushes with the wheel while playing GT6.

Now that I think about it, it seemed to occur fairly regularly prior to the 1.03 update and not so much after the update. If that is the case, the biggest thing I notice from the update is the FFB was lowered quite a bit. I was running at 1/3 prior to update and was a rather heavy and dull feed back experience. After the update I run 4/7, the FFB is lighter with more feel. My train of thought here is; what if the power rail is sagging during heavy FFB moments and the logic gets confused and spits out a pause signal.

Need to pay more attention now to determine if it is occurring as often and I am not realizing it, and what is happening on track at the moment.

It`s so random and rare that it`s hard to pinpoint the cause, even Thrustmaster failed.
You said that never had an issue with PS3 and GT6 so it suggest that this is a software problem (PS4 drivers?) OR maybe PS3 simply isn`t registering all of the buttons on the wheel and you can`t see them being randomly pushed. How is it on PS3, does all of them works there (even PS4 specific like "Share")?
I never had an issue on PC but I played very little on it so I can`t comment (is it really issue free on PC or rather I didn`t had a chance to notice it).

There is one comment on YouTube that points at the hardware fault and comes with a "little" extreme solution:
After trying my brothers TX wheel rim on my T300RS and the same problem happened, I traced the issue down to the connection from the base of the wheel that connects to the wheel rim. it's the PS/2 looking plug. After isolating the problem, I just removed the plugs from both the wheel and the base, and directly wired them together, never had a problem since. (I have no intention of running another rim)
It's basically the plug you see when you detach your wheel from the base, you just need to remove that, (cut both plugs off) and then solder both cables together to remove the problem. It does mean that you wont be able to easily change wheel rims, but mine has been working 100% now ever since I've done it :)

My T300 wheel had the same prolem. Initially it was a random gear change, then it got worse would randomly press all buttons at once. In effect the wheel became useless. After testing as best as i could, it was the mini din (ps2) connector which failed. Thrustmaster didnt want to help, i sent the problem part but wouldnt even send a replacement.
20170531_204700.jpg
This was the fault, the connector which connects the wheel / paddels buttons to the main unit.

Basically stripped back the wire near the mini din end, noting the colour wire to the corresponding pin. Choped the wire and soldered it onto new connector and worked perfect.

Yes. Take your wheel off, look at the connector at the back (looks like old ps2 keyboard connector) that was the problem for me. You need to take the wheel apart, the cable will detech from the button pcb and the unscrew the 2 screws off the other end off the plastic wheel frame. You then can replace the end with a new connector.
Sounds harder than it is, as long as you know how to solder.

I used to have this issue.. I was able to fix it with just tightening things down a little.

The two screws that hold that connector in place on the wheel base and the screws front/back of the rim. Just be careful and don't go all hulk and use the proper tools.

Not saying it will fix the issue for everyone.. but it was all I had to do.

My T300 wheel had the same prolem. Initially it was a random gear change, then it got worse would randomly press all buttons at once. In effect the wheel became useless. After testing as best as i could, it was the mini din (ps2) connector which failed. Thrustmaster didnt want to help, i sent the problem part but wouldnt even send a replacement.
View attachment 685753
This was the fault, the connector which connects the wheel / paddels buttons to the main unit.

Basically stripped back the wire near the mini din end, noting the colour wire to the corresponding pin. Choped the wire and soldered it onto new connector and worked perfect.

GREAT TIP!
Wonder that Thrustmaster couldn't come up with this near-lying conclusion?

T300 / PS4 - Wheel randomly freezes and stops responding
Hi all,

This is what I am experiencing:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my T300 (Ferrari Alcantara edition) and/or project cars 2 regarding this issue

Freezing and stops responding: The T300 will randomly cease stop responding to all inputs including the wheel buttons, pedals, steering, options button (everything). It happens on track, in the pits during menus, before entering a race in the main game options areas. The PS4 does not advise 'controller disconnected' message for the wheel. While on track if this occurs all inputs will freeze and remain static, such as the gas at 60% application and the wheel turned 20 degrees, this will remain the case until I power off the wheel via the power plug. Once I turn the wheel back on and reselect the user profile to be used by the wheel I can continue on from the point in which the car had stopped.

What I think I know:
- unrelated to patch 2.0, this started happening within the last 2 weeks.
- I don't think this is related to other peripherals plugged into the secondary USB port as it happens with and without a keyboard controller plugged in
- I was wondering if the freezing was triggered by a specific key press on the keyboard controller but I cannot seem to recreate the issue this way
- A standard ps4 controller is in use for voice chat however it is not connected to any usb port
- There is no USB hub being used
- I don't think it is track specific. Happened recently at indy and road america
- I don't think it is car specific. Happened with dallara and 911 gt3
- I rebuilt the PS4 database which did not solve the problem
- I deleted the project cars user profile in the data management area of PS4 because I was having a different crazy issue regarding wheel and pedal inputs which has now been resolved by deleting the user profile and relaunching the game which created a new user profile. I did however lose all of my driving stats except the license rating
- I updated the t300 firmware to the lastest yesterday. I believe it was v27.

Anyone else have any ideas or experiencing anything similar?

Last edited:
Only thing I've been experiencing is the ghost button issue. Project Cars 2, T300 with Ferrari alcantara rim. Occasionally selects the up D-pad button. At first I assumed I was bumping the button, but have confirmed it's happening without touching it. Fortunately, I have that button mapped for the ICM menu, so it just opens that, and then closes after a few seconds. Doesn't effect driving, other than being a bit of a distraction. If the problem worsens, I'll inspect interior cable like @j0no5mith mentioned, as that was a suspicion of mine already.

Last edited:
There is a thing called "Contact spray" commerciali available so maybe try that, it's not too expensive... Just spray the contact between wheel and base and post results.

I received T300RS lately and today I found that I have the ghost button issue happened when I was playing GT Sport. It occasionally pops up menu while I am in a race, seems like option button was pressed.

Only thing I've been experiencing is the ghost button issue. Project Cars 2, T300 with Ferrari alcantara rim. Occasionally selects the up D-pad button. At first I assumed I was bumping the button, but have confirmed it's happening without touching it. Fortunately, I have that button mapped for the ICM menu, so it just opens that, and then closes after a few seconds. Doesn't effect driving, other than being a bit of a distraction. If the problem worsens, I'll inspect interior cable like @j0no5mith mentioned, as that was a suspicion of mine already.
Yep same issue here. Doesnt happen in other titles (AC or Dirt Rally)

While racing sometimes the pause menu is activated when I dont press it.

This happens during arcade and campaign mode, and at the worst time in Sport mode online. When it happens in Sport mode the options : CONTINUE, OPTIONS, EXIT are highlighted depending on where the wheel is being steered. The car is in autodrive but at a slower pace, so if the car is cornering right you are stuck on the EXIT highlighted and you dont want to press X button on this choice. Circle doesn't exit the pause menu, you have to highlight the continue on the left then press the X button, but the car is cornering to the right and you dont want to steer left to highlight CONTINUE and be steering away from the right turn, using thr directional buttons on the steering wheel is negated by the steering wheel being steered to the right to follow the corner that is being autodriven while in this pause mode.

Had anyone else experienced this pause menu activated by itself while racing. I'm using a T300rs wheel.

Something similar happened to me once about a week ago. Never happened during the academy portion and I finished it all. Just once in sport mode and I too am using the T300.

Something similar happened to me once about a week ago. Never happened during the academy portion and I finished it all. Just once in sport mode and I too am using the T300.

Good to know. A guess is the pause button could be sensitive in gts and the force feedback vibrations may be activating the pause? , but i use the wheel for other racers like gt6, driveclub, project cars 2, it does not happen in those games. It happens often in gts

I have a T300RS and had this happen quite a bit in off-line mode but not in sport mode...yet. Another member suggested to remove the wheel from the base and check everything looking for loose connections then re-seat the wheel. I have FFB set to 1/1 and have updated the firmware...

Also a T300 driver, but to be honest it hasn't happened in nearly a week *knock on wood*

Jerome

Design issue with the T300 wheels, they flex a fair bit which can cause the random button activation, Both of my wheels do this (original T300RS and the Ferrai 599 Evo), I assume the main cause is because it's on a wheel stand rather than full rig so on occasion I am holding onto it a little too tightly!

I also have problems with breaking the hinges for the paddles, which also may be flex related.

If its hardware related i think the games should implement a software fix to have more tolerance for the button and require a deliberate press of the button. The options button is very sensitive. a better way of confirming the button ghost presses, like adding a press counter to make sure the press was not accident.

If its hardware related i think the games should implement a software fix to have more tolerance for the button and require a deliberate press of the button. The options button is very sensitive. a better way of confirming the button ghost presses, like adding a press counter to make sure the press was not accident.
that won't work as you will get delays when changing gear.

I had this problem and the way the shift registers operate contribute to the problem but are not the cause. Basically a high voltage 1 is off and a zero voltage 0 is on, i.e. when you press a button it grounds the input to the shift register and this is communicated to the PS4 or PC via serial link.
I can confirm the problem exists on PC, I get a random gear shift every 2 or 3 laps and normally when the wheel is rotated to turn a corner. There always seems to be a slight kick in the FFB which suggests a power or earth problem. When I had the rim connected via the PS2 connector if I removed the rim and then put it back on without cleaning the connector it solved the problem for a few weeks but eventually it would start random activation again. It also activated the L3 R3 buttons on the base. Here is a list of what I tried to identify the problem but none of these helped.

1. Hardwired the wheel rim from the base removing the ps2 connector
2. Replaced the power supply with the supply from my G27.
3. Used Arduino to simulate the shift registers with a custom wheel rim.
4. Re-soldered the base connections (as many as I could) to try to eliminate any dry joint.
5. Put a separate power supply on the USB connector (2 wires are for serial comms and 2 for voltage supply)

Also I should point out my base was replaced as it suffered from the calibration failure problem. I had random button activation with both old and new wheel base. So it is a design problem and everybody I know with this wheel has had random button activation. The people out there who think they may have solved it will probably again suffer from this problem. I don't understand why removing the rim and then replacing gives a couple of weeks of trouble free use. Maybe static electricity build up, I just don't know and unfortunately neither do Thrustmaster. Shame as it is a great wheel but gathering dust on the shelf while I use my fault free G27.

I havent had ghost shifts, just the ghost options button.

It could be fixed if the software as in the game GTS adds a counter for the options button press and requires a slightly longer press to activate the pause menu, we're talking 1 second at most maybe...right now its too sensitive and causes the ghost presses, even a half second hold would probably fix it. This is something from GTS programming, as they are partnered with Thrustmaster this would be a workable solution to ensure the wheel is compatible rather than a hardware fix. I can brush my fingers across the options button and it activates the pause menu in GTS. This button is too sensitive on the wheel, but the game's programming can add a counter to combat this problem.

Sounds like you do not have random button activation then, well not yet so keep your fingers crossed it doesn't happen. My random button activation first started as only brake bias changes which were configured to the Dpad. Then after a while I started to get view changing from cockpit to overhead driven by L3 or R3 (cannot remember which) Then random gear shifts then pause menu started to appear. I very much doubt that all game companies will change their software to put in a time delay or counter because a hardware company has got a design problem with their wheel, it's just not good business sense is it? Thrustmaster need to solve their design problem as it is affecting too many of their wheels to be ignored.
Assetto Corsa does have a gear shift bounce delimiter that you can set as high as 250ms but it does not inhibit the first action of the gear shift, it puts on an inhibit for 250ms after the gear shift so unfortunately it does not help me :irked:

Last edited:
The button that activates on its own is on the wheel, the pause / options button. Still happens. The hardware problem could be due to the placement of the button, its sitting too close to the activation point, or the spring return of the button is not strong enough and allows vibrations to trigger it. This is where you either do a wheel recall or you work with the software that interprets the signals and have it deciphering the difference between a press of the button verses a vibration triggered while the wheel is being tossed around. One way is to only allow the options button to be acknowledged if the wheel ffb is in a low rest state, this would prevent the ffb vibrations during high ffb state and wheel operations to trigger the button as these have been the times the button activates. I have not yet had ot activate when the wheel is at rest, it tends to happen when entering a corner, this is when the wheel ffb tightens the wheel may shake.

Last edited:
The button that activates on its own is on the wheel, the pause / options button. Still happens. The hardware problem could be due to the placement of the button, its sitting too close to the activation point, or the spring return of the button is not strong enough and allows vibrations to trigger it. This is where you either do a wheel recall or you work with the software that interprets the signals and have it deciphering the difference between a press of the button verses a vibration triggered while the wheel is being tossed around. One way is to only allow the options button to be acknowledged if the wheel ffb is in a low rest state, this would prevent the ffb vibrations during high ffb state and wheel operations to trigger the button as these have been the times the button activates. I have not yet had ot activate when the wheel is at rest, it tends to happen when entering a corner, this is when the wheel ffb tightens the wheel may shake.
Will it be possible to solve this by just sliding the mode to PS3?

Your symptoms are indicating a faulty switch and not random button activation so send it back if it is under warranty. If you think the game companies are going to change their code to solve problems with the T300 design you are in cloud cuckoo land. I can just see the letter being sent :lol:

Dear SMS, Kunos, Codemasters, et al

We have a serious design issue with our T300 series racing wheels where random button activation causes our customers a lot of frustration and in some cases renders our product totally useless. If you would be so kind to assign resources at your expense to solve our problem by rewriting your controller code we would be very grateful. Thanks a bunch.

your sincerely
Thrustmaster CEO

Latest Posts

Back