Thrustmaster T300RS - random button presses issue.

• Thread starter prarts
  • 109 comments
Inzyman found the solution to every problem with the T300.

Spending 500 in something that works it's cheaper than spending 300 in something that doesn't.

Anyone know if the ps4 reads button presses as if pressing a key on a keyboard? I increased the keyboard delay in the ps4 menu and haven't had an issue in a week. Just lucky?

This issue came back. It was good for a long time.
I played many hours without issues in the recent patches.

This current patch out now as of 3/21, what is it 1.14? the pausing it back on the wheel. It happened about three times in one sitting yesterday. Once during a Daily Sport race online. Three times in another session too.

Prior patches it has appeared to have been fixed.

This issue came back. It was good for a long time.
I played many hours without issues in the recent patches.

This current patch out now as of 3/21, what is it 1.14? the pausing it back on the wheel. It happened about three times in one sitting yesterday. Once during a Daily Sport race online. Three times in another session too.

Prior patches it has appeared to have been fixed.
Seems to be a hardware issue, rather then a software issue. Havent heard any other reports yet. Does the issue occur in other games?

It's definitely hardware related. I'm holding out to see if Fanatec has any black Friday deals. Regardless I'm dumping my thrustmaster gear I'm just not sure whether it will be the clubsport v2.5 or the csl elite. With the t300 i am always worried that it will go into thermal shutdown. I don't want to deal with that any more, all I want is a trouble free gaming experience hence why I am hesitant to leave the ps4 and get a gaming pc.

It's definitely hardware related. I'm holding out to see if Fanatec has any black Friday deals. Regardless I'm dumping my thrustmaster gear I'm just not sure whether it will be the clubsport v2.5 or the csl elite. With the t300 i am always worried that it will go into thermal shutdown. I don't want to deal with that any more, all I want is a trouble free gaming experience hence why I am hesitant to leave the ps4 and get a gaming pc.
From my own research the V2.5 has less issues then the CSL. With the drivehub you have full (fanatec or fanalogic) compatibility with any console, so that should not hold you back. The only thing you should contemplate is if you are planning to upgrade to DD someday or not. Then I would recommend waiting for the Fanatec DD and other more affordable option. If not... CSW v2.5 is the best you can get that isn't DD.

The older Fanatec wheels also used to have lots of issues and one of the reasons a lot of people went to Thrustmaster, since Logitech wasn't producing anything new anymore. Now it seems it is the other way around. I guess you are only as good as your latest product...

thanks for the info. I'm not sure about going the direct drive route because that would necessitate a rig upgrade that I'm not too keen to do that. I might be doing the v2.5 but with the csl pedals.

My issues seem to be getting worse. Random PS button or Game pause presses. After 1.15 I'm also seeing D-pad Up presses which screws up fuel map or brake balance if you have that screen selected.
But I think the game version is just coincidence, it has to be hardware.
So far I tried spacers under the connector and really tightening things down but it didn't help much.

Anyone know if the ps4 reads button presses as if pressing a key on a keyboard? I increased the keyboard delay in the ps4 menu and haven't had an issue in a week. Just lucky?

Was having issues couple times a day. No issues in the 4 weeks since increasing the keyboard delay under PS4 menu.

Anyone else try this?

Was having issues couple times a day. No issues in the 4 weeks since increasing the keyboard delay under PS4 menu.

Anyone else try this?

No, I didn't know that was an option. Too late as I now have a CSL Elite wheel and pedals ;)

Jerome

GREAT NEWS I SOLVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when and bought a Fanatec V2.5 and have not had an issue since!!

I’m thinking about buying a Fanatec too. First I had a G29 which started making a high pitched noise after a while which drove me crazy. Fortunately, I could get a refund for it. Then I bought a T300 GT which was fantastic at first but then started with the random button presses. Fortunately(again), I might still be able to return it for a refund...

Anyone else try this?

Tried it. Didn’t work. I also removed the wheel and cleaned the connection. Didn’t work. I then tightened the Allen screws at the top of the wheel. Didn’t help either.

Now I’m really conflicted. In general, I’m quite happy with the wheel but this needs to be fixed. Are there other things I could try without losing warranty?

Thanks in advance.

In the meantime that CSL elite package for 519€ looks more and more tasty...

I’m thinking about buying a Fanatec too. First I had a G29 which started making a high pitched noise after a while which drove me crazy. Fortunately, I could get a refund for it. Then I bought a T300 GT which was fantastic at first but then started with the random button presses. Fortunately(again), I might still be able to return it for a refund...

Tried it. Didn’t work. I also removed the wheel and cleaned the connection. Didn’t work. I then tightened the Allen screws at the top of the wheel. Didn’t help either.

Now I’m really conflicted. In general, I’m quite happy with the wheel but this needs to be fixed. Are there other things I could try without losing warranty?

Thanks in advance.

In the meantime that CSL elite package for 519€ looks more and more tasty...

Is your wheel still under warranty? Take advantage of it. I've also heard of the Fanatec PS4 CSL Elite failing after a few hours, so you never know. Did you update the firmware on your T300? I updated the firmware and increased the keyboard delay on the same day and haven't had an issue since then, has to be 5 weeks now.
But hey, Ill gladly jump to the CSL wheel if I have to. Thats a really good set.

Is your wheel still under warranty? Take advantage of it. I've also heard of the Fanatec PS4 CSL Elite failing after a few hours, so you never know. Did you update the firmware on your T300? I updated the firmware and increased the keyboard delay on the same day and haven't had an issue since then, has to be 5 weeks now.
But hey, Ill gladly jump to the CSL wheel if I have to. Thats a really good set.

The wheel is only 1 month old so it is still under warranty. I have 2 more days to send it back to Amazon without the need to even give a reason. If I do that I would get my money back without problems.

If I go the route of asking TM to look into it, there is the risk that they won’t be able to solve the problem. By then it would be too late to get a refund. That’s why I’m tending towards buying the Fanatec.

But first, I will try the firmware update. I didn’t even know that one could do that. If that fixes it I will keep it.

Thanks for the help

The wheel is only 1 month old so it is still under warranty. I have 2 more days to send it back to Amazon without the need to even give a reason. If I do that I would get my money back without problems.

If I go the route of asking TM to look into it, there is the risk that they won’t be able to solve the problem. By then it would be too late to get a refund. That’s why I’m tending towards buying the Fanatec.

But first, I will try the firmware update. I didn’t even know that one could do that. If that fixes it I will keep it.

Thanks for the help
Get the update done and return it if you have to. Actually, start the return /exchange process right now! That gives you some extra days to test the wheel after you update the firmware. They give you a few days to ship it back. Not all T300's have issues, so you may want to give it another chance with a new unit.

Get the update done and return it if you have to. Actually, start the return /exchange process right now! That gives you some extra days to test the wheel after you update the firmware. They give you a few days to ship it back. Not all T300's have issues, so you may want to give it another chance with a new unit.

I will do that. Thanks

Anyone else try this?

Where in the PS4 menu are you finding the keyboard delay? Appreciate your response.

Where in the PS4 menu are you finding the keyboard delay? Appreciate your response.

I'm not near my PS4 but found this.

Keyboard type (language), key repeat delay, and key repeat rate can be changed by going to [Settings] > [Devices] > [External Keyboard].

I increased both settings .

thanks for the info. I'm not sure about going the direct drive route because that would necessitate a rig upgrade that I'm not too keen to do that. I might be doing the v2.5 but with the csl pedals.
I could not recommend that setup more, The CSL with Load Cell, BMW wheel and V2.5, the immersion and feel is amazing and no issues!

I have had this issue since the earliest days of my purchase in September 2017. It was the "option" button at first, which is enough to ruin your concentration during a race. Nowadays the "up arrow" button and "square" button joined in. So apart from in game menu pop ups, my fuel/power settings and race view are getting messed up randomly too and I guess you can imagine how I feel.

I have requested a return/refund through Amazon. Hopefully they will fulfill my request. What to do next is a bit of another issue because now I'm left with the TH8A shifter which I bought seperately. Either I can go for a T-GT and a T3PA Pro for a €460 (ex. postage) difference (because the original 3-pedal set included in T-GT seems to be failing for a lot of people) or I can try to get a refund for the TH8A as well and get a Fanatec wheel, 3-pedal set (unfortunately as of today, these need to bought seperately for PS4) and the shifter for €1,050 (ex. postage) difference. I am yet to make up my mind on this.

Edit: Such a shame for the T300. Everything else is ok, could have been a proper value item.

02/06/18 edit. My wallet has spoken for myself so I got the T-GT. I got a full refund for the T300RS and in total paid a difference of about €340 inc. postage. I did not get the T3PA-Pro pedals. I will consider them if the stock ones fail. After countless hours of continuous playing, no ghost button press issues. So far so good. Dial gauges are cool as well.

Last edited:
Ive been having the ghost button issues with the T GT stock rim after the May 31st update. No problems when I use the Sparco R383 add on though.

I don't understand how my T300 healed itself but I haven't had any issues since March. Was getting the random button press issues 3 or 4 times a day. Did the update and changed the keyboard delay under the PS4 menu, then no issues since. I did change to the Evo 599 rim a month ago but had no issues with the stock rim for 5 weeks either.
Very strange.

So I used a tool to tighten the stock T GT rim and I havent had an issue so far. I noticed a little play when just using my hand. Its an oil filter wrench! Holds the wheel hub perfectly and makes it easy to snug it nicely.
15287588214553970442276995713542.jpg

Last edited:
Ive had t300rs since they were released. The rim to button box connection points loosen under the loads of use, then random inputs show up , not a issue with the plug or at least in my case. However ,it is important to inspect the din connector and always make sure the collar is tight. Follow the steps and u should be money.
Pull your rim, and 1st tighten the philips button box screws on the back, then the do the 2.5mm hexes on the face of the rim. Repeat as needed till u figure out your own maintenance schedule , 4yr t300=every 1-2hrs or drive time

P.s. i learned all of this the hard way. I followed all of customer service directions and ended up with multiple bases and rims per thrustmaster and eventually thru all that determined a tighter screw could of saved all that $, so i also bought a fanatec. Because any company whom 1st suggests to buy more stuff surely is cracked. So if someone has already covered this, sorry, but hopefully it helps put this to bed.

Last edited:
My T300:
- Presses start by itself
- Presses up by itself
- Presses home by itself
- Presses share by itself

If I bought another wheel I would be attracted to the T-GT.. But it’s so expensive, and knowing my luck it will have some other issue..

Everything I buy these days has some sort of error :(

Has anyone emailed Thrustmaster and told them about this thread, or how there are so many people having the exact same problem?

Back