Thrustmaster Teases Its New PC-Only Direct Drive Wheel

• Thread starter Famine
  • 38 comments
It beggars belief that its pc only. Cutting off alot of the market already. Here’s hoping that an update makes it xbox compatible. Can’t imagine this will be easy to buy either given the ongoing chip shortage, still waiting since September for a Sf1000 add on to be available in the uk. I literally have wads of cash to throw at TM but so far behind now it will be months…. By which time il be able to afford fanatec.

It looks like a wheel base with cooling fins on the side and top and LED light.

thrustmaster dd.png

Last edited:
If it's compatible with existing accessories, and that includes wheels, I can't imagine it is going to be very powerful if it's using the current plastic TM quick release.

If it's compatible with existing accessories, and that includes wheels, I can't imagine it is going to be very powerful if it's using the current plastic TM quick release.
That's a good point, if the slew of CSL DD owners with damaged plastic quick releases is any indication.

This move is bizarre. TM were already going to have a very tough time competing in the DD market, especially if going up against Fanatec's CSL DD, which is a pretty great value.

In fact, the only real market slot at the moment is on Playstation..being able to buy a standalone DD would be great (currently not possible)

Makes no sense to not make it console compatible, Sonys 20% add-on tax IS rediculous, but the pc dd market is pretty much already saturated i would imagine, at the price point I'm assuming they will be at.

If they made this for console, with a transducer (open for any game), at the T-GT pack price point, sans pedals...

We'd have a home run on our hands.

Last edited:
A big glowing LED pattern (if that's what this is) facing away from the player - I imagine it would end up as an annoying reflection on the modern glossy kind of TV.

Sound choice then to make it PC-only - play on your computer monitor featuring reflective coating. All good!:dopey:

That's a good point, if the slew of CSL DD owners with damaged plastic quick releases is any indication.

The current Thrustmaster rims all have an identifier code when connected to the base, so it wouldn't surprise me if the DD base has a power limit when one of these wheels are detected. The only way to use higher/full power settings will be with the new DD rims they will no doubt release

Last edited:
Thats very interesting. I really hope that the lights are just for show. Who really needs them. I don’t need useless led shining in my face nor led reflecting on screen. Waste of money and recourses in my view(literally). Thrustmaster should use that for console compatibility. I was thinking of buying the Fanatec DDpro, becauae i sometimes race also on my PlayStation with friends who dont have a PC, but since i have lots of Thrustmaster add ons for my T500RS i wait and see.

If they make it only PC compatible it's again a win for the "affordable" fanatec CSL DD/Pro wheels wich are compatible with consoles and PC at a starting price cheaper as a T-GT.

Wake-up thrustmaster, competition is getting harder for you..

This sounds promising, I have lots of thrustmaster add ons, including the paddle shifters option for the base, so I am looking forward to being able to connect that to the dd base for drifting. I also hope that they will be able to make it GranTurismo / PS4 compatible, or hopefully GT will be on PC soon like some PS4 games have now ported over to PC.

Last edited:
I'm expecting just the base to be released first for only PC, and then console compatible bundles with a wheel and pedals coming out later. TM hates to offer just wheelbases to consoles until they are a few years old.

Last edited:
A new, high quality quick release is necessary. Nothing wrong with that announcement. But the length of time until the next reveal is just dumb. Hopefully leaks start happening.

Vaporware... with this length of time it will be on the market mid 2023 at best. Ridiculous.

Also can't understand how is it compatible with all accessories if it has a new quick release.

The sf1000 for me can wait at least until 3.3.2022.

My guess is that it's going to be more than 8nm, they have to, otherwise fanatec already won the race.
Not unless TM are cheaper. Whilst the fanatec csl dd is quite cheap, the rims are not, neither are the pedals. I have such low hopes for tm, waiting until late 2022 probably for this to be actually released, not renowned for build quality. Seems as though everything has gone ms flight sim controllers as they missed the console release for ms flight sim, basically lots of flight sim available and very little racing stuff available currently. DD is ages away.....

Cool. PC only hey. A little bummer for us on console players. More DD choices for multiple platforms would be super great. Regardless I’m excited to see what they’ve created. 21 Fanatec. 22 Thrustmaster. 23? Logitech?!! haha.

Let’s see what its gonna be, they’ve got tough competition on PCs and Consoles. Especially knowing how TM likes to price their products.

Back