Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
Sorry if this has been answered before but I skimmed a couple pages and couldn't find what I was looking for.

My g27 shifter broke. Somehow the underside plastic where it was mounted to my wheelstand pro just broke completely and now can only be mounted via clamps :(

I was thinking of getting a thrustmaster shifter upgrade. But I play GT6.

does anyone know if GT6 will accept a G27 with a TH8RS shifter or TH8A?

thanks

Sorry if this has been answered before but I skimmed a couple pages and couldn't find what I was looking for.

My g27 shifter broke. Somehow the underside plastic where it was mounted to my wheelstand pro just broke completely and now can only be mounted via clamps :(

I was thinking of getting a thrustmaster shifter upgrade. But I play GT6.

does anyone know if GT6 will accept a G27 with a TH8RS shifter or TH8A?

thanks

As far as I know, the TH8RS and TH8A can only work as a standalone USB device on PC. So I don't think so.

Hi all. I'm having problems with the TH8a shifter I bought recently. I've never actually got it to work before, on any game. It's as if the PS4 doesn't even recognise it. I've reset the console (also unplugged it from the wall) multiple times, plugged it directly into the PS4 USB, and it still isn't recognised on Project cars or Assetto. I can't configure the gears under settings, and I've booted the games when the shifter is in 1st gear... Also with 'H' shifter option selected under the game settings. It's beginning to drive me mental. Has anyone had any problems like this before?

Edit: The cars I've been using in the games have also been manual cars, not paddle shifters.

Hi all. I'm having problems with the TH8a shifter I bought recently. I've never actually got it to work before, on any game. It's as if the PS4 doesn't even recognise it. I've reset the console (also unplugged it from the wall) multiple times, plugged it directly into the PS4 USB, and it still isn't recognised on Project cars or Assetto. I can't configure the gears under settings, and I've booted the games when the shifter is in 1st gear... Also with 'H' shifter option selected under the game settings. It's beginning to drive me mental. Has anyone had any problems like this before?

Edit: The cars I've been using in the games have also been manual cars, not paddle shifters.
The only suggestion I can offer is to try and plug it to a PC and update it to the latest available firmware. If it still doesn't work, you should simply return it.

Mine was pretty much plug-and-play. Also on a PS4 and also with those games.

Which wheel do you own?

Make sure to update the firmware on the wheel too.

Thanks for the help guys. 👍 I'll update the firmware on both the shifter and wheel (T300RS) and hopefully all will be well.

Yeah, I have the T300 with the TH8A, and it just worked for me. Never plugged the shifter into the computer at all.

Thanks for the help guys. 👍 I'll update the firmware on both the shifter and wheel (T300RS) and hopefully all will be well.

Huh, .. with the T300 it should be basic plug and play. When you have it hooked up to the PC test it directly connected through USB then connected through the wheel base. It should work both ways and show the inputs in the testing window.

Hope you get it working. It is great fun.

Huh, .. with the T300 it should be basic plug and play. When you have it hooked up to the PC test it directly connected through USB then connected through the wheel base. It should work both ways and show the inputs in the testing window.

Hope you get it working. It is great fun.
Thanks for the help. I've tried everything about a million times now, and also tried updating the firmware. It was really simple to update the wheel, but the shifter is still not being recognised by anything. I think there's a good chance I've just bought a faulty TH8A straight from the box. I've now contacted Thrustmaster about it, so will report back here in case someone else ever runs into the same issue.

I'm shocked that I'm the only person who uses the shifter mainly as a handbrake. I'm on PS4 & it's mainly for Dirt Rally.

Does anyone know how I'll still be able to do so with PSVR as it uses the only spare USB on the console.

Is there a hub that gives you full functionality or do I need to buy a PS Pro?

I'm shocked that I'm the only person who uses the shifter mainly as a handbrake. I'm on PS4 & it's mainly for Dirt Rally.

Does anyone know how I'll still be able to do so with PSVR as it uses the only spare USB on the console.

Is there a hub that gives you full functionality or do I need to buy a PS Pro?

I use a crappy USB hub I got for free years ago that I run my TH8A, a charge cable, and a headset dongle through at all times. Then my wheel gets connected to the other USB port. Everything works fine.

Now.. when it comes to having the PSVR headset on top of that, I have no idea how that will all work. My recommendation would be to get a quality powered USB hub. If you buy it on amazon you can search the reviews and see if people use it on the ps4 without issues.

Edit- I just did some quick searching out of curiosity and people reporting using the PSVR with flight sticks, headsets. etc.. using one of these types of Hubs (non powered) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...ffcode=pg129315&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

Last edited:
You answered your own question when you say that the main game you play is DiRT Rally.

For all the other non-rally games out there, it's natural that people use the shifter for its H-pattern or sequential gearshifts.

What the poll shows is that the majority plays track/road driving games, not rally. And even that is not shocking.

You answered your own question when you say that the main game you play is DiRT Rally.

For all the other non-rally games out there, it's natural that people use the shifter for its H-pattern or sequential gearshifts.

What the poll shows is that the majority plays track/road driving games, not rally. And even that is not shocking.

I really wish we had the full analog handbrake mode on consoles. I would have bought a second THA8 during the black friday- Christmas sales. On PS4 with dirt rally, you are just using the sequential stick mode as a digital handbrake. But I used it that way and it works pretty well. For sure was not my main issue with times.

I use a crappy USB hub I got for free years ago that I run my TH8A, a charge cable, and a headset dongle through at all times. Then my wheel gets connected to the other USB port. Everything works fine.

Now.. when it comes to having the PSVR headset on top of that, I have no idea how that will all work. My recommendation would be to get a quality powered USB hub. If you buy it on amazon you can search the reviews and see if people use it on the ps4 without issues.

Edit- I just did some quick searching out of curiosity and people reporting using the PSVR with flight sticks, headsets. etc.. using one of these types of Hubs (non powered) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...ffcode=pg129315&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

I went for the one with no LED. Bad enough as it is blanking out all the LEDs everywhere. Hopefully here by Friday since the wheel is in one port and the headset in the other.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IGH4KAO/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

I've had a TH8A on backorder from Amazon Canada for two months now and just got an email saying they can't source it and my order is cancelled. Anyone know where I can get one of these things in Canada? Everywhere I looked recently it's out of stock.

I know but I'm still surprised that more people on PC including PS4 for DR don't use it for handbrake on other games as well!

I knew I'd be in minority but I'm the only vote lol

Link works. Last time I checked with them they were also waiting for stock from Thrustmaster. I guess it's worth a shot to check again. You'd think Amazon would get it first though. Thanks for the heads up:tup:👍

Np. That's where I got mine from, along with my TM 28 leather wheel.

Anyone know what type of spring is on the bottom of the sequential shifter plate that comes with the TH8a?

I built a cheap sequential shifter to use along side my TH8a and would like to use the same kind of spring setup to add more resistance to it.

Edit - I should be more specific, where can I find a spring very similar? I believe the style of spring is called torsion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I've tried everything about a million times now, and also tried updating the firmware. It was really simple to update the wheel, but the shifter is still not being recognised by anything. I think there's a good chance I've just bought a faulty TH8A straight from the box. I've now contacted Thrustmaster about it, so will report back here in case someone else ever runs into the same issue.
Just an update on this issue. The TH8A shifter which was originally sent to me had an faulty main board which was unresponsive. Pretty strange to have an issue like that straight out of the box, but Thrustmaster were kind enough to send a new replacement board so it's all up and running perfectly now. I've only had a few short races in Assetto, Project Cars, and GT6, but it's been great fun to use so far.

So yeah, good customer service. Just saying. 👍

Hi guys, seriously considering buying a shifter, more that GT Sport is coming soon. Only one question: I saw that TH8RS was released in 2011, TH8A in 2014... Do you think is feasible that there will be an update of this shifter any time soon? It wouldn't be cool if I buy it and a couple of months later there is a newer and better version

Hi guys, seriously considering buying a shifter, more that GT Sport is coming soon. Only one question: I saw that TH8RS was released in 2011, TH8A in 2014... Do you think is feasible that there will be an update of this shifter any time soon? It wouldn't be cool if I buy it and a couple of months later there is a newer and better version
I think it's unlikely. The TH8A is a solid piece of kit which does exactly what it needs to do.

I love mine (in H pattern especially). Well worth the purchase.

Is it possible to change the Gear pattern? So, it's a 7spd with reverse Right-Back. I want a 6Spd with Reverse Right Front, Like the T56 in my 04 Mustang Cobra. I've looked around and couldn't find any answers.. I've seen 6spd plates that you can 3d print, But it's always reverse as Back.

Is it possible to change the Gear pattern? So, it's a 7spd with reverse Right-Back. I want a 6Spd with Reverse Right Front, Like the T56 in my 04 Mustang Cobra. I've looked around and couldn't find any answers.. I've seen 6spd plates that you can 3d print, But it's always reverse as Back.
Depends on the race game. Check if you can change the button mapping in the config screen of the steer/shifter. I know this is possible in Assetto Corsa and probably in more sims?

There are a few ways:
1. Map individual gates in game to different gears
2. Download and install the PC software for the TH8A, and go into the calibration software. There's a tab where you can override the standard zones for each gear. You can swap everything around, change the depth of the gates, even remove gears entirely. It saves to the TH8A firmware so it stays like this even if you then plug into a console.

I believe option 2 is what you are after :)

Back