Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
I've actually sourced a 180mm sequential knob to get it up level with my wheel for easy access and quick shifting. Works great and feels like I imagine those long-lever sequentials do in certain GT cars.

HyN8rdP.jpg

I could really do with another shaft/knob assembly for gated shifting though.

I found a black one 13cm Long Black Universal Car Manual Gear Stick but if you or some else that could point me the right direction to make the default TH8A shifter rod to fit snugly that would be most appreciated. I already made a terrible mistake of wreaking the smallest 8mm inset that came with this gear stick. I only have 10mm or 12mm inset left.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I found a black one 13cm Long Black Universal Car Manual Gear Stick but if you or some else that could point me the right direction to make the default TH8A shifter rod to fit snugly that would be most appreciated. I already made a terrible mistake of wreaking the smallest 8mm inset that came with this gear stick. I only have 10mm or 12mm inset left.

You could try filling the hole in one of the other inserts with resin and re-drilling it to a suitable size, or check eBay for replacement inserts or thread reducers. Failing that, buy another cheap-ass gear knob that comes with inserts and use those?

Twice I had the money ready to order a TH8A and both times the major e-tailers were out of stock, except for one place, Ebay. But the scalpers there must be banking heavily on desperation, because the prices they are charging are preposterous. There's no way I am about to pay Fanatec CSS prices for a TH8A. Not when Thrustmaster's MSRP is still $150.

If anyone recently ordered a TH8A from Amazon while it's listed as out of stock, how long did you wait to get your shifter? And does anyone know why the shifter has been out of stock for what seems to be 2 years now? I want to get one but, I don't want to put my money into transaction limbo. Thanks.

Today, I sent Thrustmaster's support an email asking them if they still made the darn shifter. Amazon and Newegg doesn't know when or if the shifter will be in stock.

Last edited:
People in the USA - Walmart has TH8As in stock for $113

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustma...x-One-pc-Th8a-Add-on-Gearbox-Shifter/40625678

@Soulfresh_ACV

I made a rod using a bolt - it was a little janky but still works to this day. What makes the knob stable on the bolt is adding more nuts down the threads. Then you can also use electrical tape to make it very snug.

http://socalcolin.blogspot.com/2015/08/diy-custom-short-shift-kit-for-th8a-or.html

Last edited:
The H-pattern plate looks great with its shiny metal but the sequential looks cheap and nasty in comparison - anyone tried a mod to improve the looks? Could it be painted for example?

The H-pattern plate looks great with its shiny metal but the sequential looks cheap and nasty in comparison - anyone tried a mod to improve the looks? Could it be painted for example?
You can buy custom plates on the internet. 3d printed, machined metal, 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed, sequential etc.

Not used my h-pattern for a while so I remounted it next to the wheel with some 2mm stainless steel plate. Seems pretty solid and the positioning is great for fast hand transfer from wheel to shifter in VR. I still need to stiffen the action and shorten the throw - what are the best options for this?

Lz59hn4.jpg

Got a six-speed short -shift plate winging its way to me from Canada as we speak. Damn, these things are hard to find from machined metal these days. Everyone is just 3D printing them now, it seems. I couldn't live with the looks of a 3D printed one, even though they are 1/3 of the price and I race in VR, lol.
(It's not gold - that's a trick of the light)

s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg

Not used my h-pattern for a while so I remounted it next to the wheel with some 2mm stainless steel plate. Seems pretty solid and the positioning is great for fast hand transfer from wheel to shifter in VR. I still need to stiffen the action and shorten the throw - what are the best options for this?

Lz59hn4.jpg
Isn't it hard to shift with your right hand with the shifter mounted on the left. oooh wait ;)
Smart, simple and cheap solution to use the 2mm plate.

Isn't it hard to shift with your right hand with the shifter mounted on the left. oooh wait ;)
Smart, simple and cheap solution to use the 2mm plate.
I really do like having the shifter right next to the steering wheel. I don't know whether this is a hangover from my old Fanatec chopstick/Porsche shifter days or what, but it certainly makes shifting in VR a lot quicker, easier, and more accurate than when I had the TH8 mounted down next to my thigh.

On a separate note, would anyone here be interested in buying a short shaft mod for the TH8 if I was to make a bunch of them?

I was using previously on my PS4, the TH8a Shifter (connected to 2nd USB Port) with T500RS for playing Grand Turismo Sport, with no problems at all!

I changed my wheel to a Fanatec CSL ELITE PS4 compatiblle, and ... TH8a Shifter is no more working on Grand Turismo Sport!!!! No feed at all!!! :( Is there some added procedure that I´m missing??? If I use the Wheel and the Shifter on PC they work fine with those racing simulators that may use it... but on PS4 and with GTS... is like TH8a does´nt exist... :(

Is there any way, software procedure/routine or a gadget to connect the shifter to the Fanatec ELITE Base, for example??

I was using previously on my PS4, the TH8a Shifter (connected to 2nd USB Port) with T500RS for playing Grand Turismo Sport, with no problems at all!

I changed my wheel to a Fanatec CSL ELITE PS4 compatiblle, and ... TH8a Shifter is no more working on Grand Turismo Sport!!!! No feed at all!!! :( Is there some added procedure that I´m missing??? If I use the Wheel and the Shifter on PC they work fine with those racing simulators that may use it... but on PS4 and with GTS... is like TH8a does´nt exist... :(

Is there any way, software procedure/routine or a gadget to connect the shifter to the Fanatec ELITE Base, for example??
From What I understand it only Works with Thrustmaster bases when plugged in USB port. You could get a drive hub or an adapter from basherboards.com or get a fanatec shifter. First 2 choices are cheaper.

From What I understand it only Works with Thrustmaster bases when plugged in USB port. You could get a drive hub or an adapter from basherboards.com or get a fanatec shifter. First 2 choices are cheaper.
yah... Fanatec Shifter wil cost over 260 euros... plus delivery expenses... :( Basherboards as some kind of gadget to do that???

Last edited:
Are you sure you connected the TH8A to the same USB port as before? I remember I had that issue some time ago.
Does the shifter still work with other PS4 race games besides GTSport? Or not at all?

TH8A indeed cannot be connected the CSL Elite directly. Good suggestions PocketZeven

Thanks.... but if I use Drive Hub, the capabilities of the CSL Elite will not suffer a lot when using it?? Like... less or none FFB, and stufff???
You can send an email with your question to:
wheelman@collectiveminds.ca
I don’t own one (not needed for my rig) but they still answered all my question in detail. Great and quick customer service.

Are you sure you connected the TH8A to the same USB port as before? I remember I had that issue some time ago.
Does the shifter still work with other PS4 race games besides GTSport? Or not at all?

TH8A indeed cannot be connected the CSL Elite directly. Good suggestions PocketZeven

What I meant was to make the th8a work in the USB port on PS4 it also needs a TM wheel plugged in. I’m not 100% sure but the TH8a does not function as a stand-alone device on console.

Yep .. I´m sure.. and even so I´ve tried both USB Ports... for the wheel and the Shifter...

Haven´t tried it yet with any other game (I also have PC, PC2, AC and Dirt Rally+Dirt 4) I´ll try it next monday... (No PS4 during weekend)

You can send an email with your question to:
wheelman@collectiveminds.ca
I don’t own one (not needed for my rig) but they still answered all my question in detail. Great and quick customer service.

What I meant was to make the th8a work in the USB port on PS4 it also needs a TM wheel plugged in. I’m not 100% sure but the TH8a does not function as a stand-alone device on console.

Thanks Pocket dude! :) I´ll do it! (send an email to... those are the guys behind Drive Hub??)

It´s a pity if it only works when a Thrustm. Wheel is also connected... :( as this is a truly outstanding shifter...

Auto clutch and auto gearbox are both off for sure. Not that I'm doubting your brains but a button mistake is easily made ;)

I will fire up the PS4 again and connect the TH8-A shifter and Fanatec wheel. Never tried that combo before on PS4. So I'm curious if it will work immediately 'out of the box'. Keep you posted

Auto clutch and auto gearbox are both off for sure. Not that I'm doubting your brains but a button mistake is easily made ;)

I will fire up the PS4 again and connect the TH8-A shifter and Fanatec wheel. Never tried that combo before on PS4. So I'm curious if it will work immediately 'out of the box'. Keep you posted

I dont think that AC for Ps4 has those options on the main options from the controler setup!
What happens is that once the shifter is connected the game reacts as if the motion key to the right has got stuck... and you get your directions all going to the right in any menu...

I dont think that AC for Ps4 has those options on the main options from the controler setup!
What happens is that once the shifter is connected the game reacts as if the motion key to the right has got stuck... and you get your directions all going to the right in any menu...
Meanwhile I connected the wheel and TH8A shifter to the PS4 and indeed in AC the "cursor" goes constantly to the far right and in GTS the TH8A is not recognized in anyway. A couple of months ago I could use the shifter without any problem. Now I do not know if that has to do to a change in PS4 firmware or because I changed for T300 to a Fanatec wheel. I disconnect the PS4 and swicth back to PC...

Edit: So it looks like both AC and GTS does not work anymore with the TH8A on PS4. Right? Have you or anybody else tested e.g. Dirt and/or PCars2 on PS4? Who can confirm the TH8A still works fine on PS4 console?

Last edited:
Back