Thrustmaster TSS Handbrake Sparco Mod

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 194 comments
The only way for Thrustmaster to satisfy all, is to create 3 separate products.
One for the cheapskate that's all plastic. One for consoles. One for the PC that is properly built with no extra costs going to sony, MS, table clamps, or other wasteful things.

What you got against table clamps?

What you got against table clamps?

clamps_futurama.gif

Bada-climp, bada-clamp!

How hard can it be to create a USB peripheral handbrake for Consoles, specifically a PS4 handbrake that is compatible with any wheel/pedal combination??

Anyone know someone who could make one? I expect there would be a huge market for such a product.

There are people who make them (check ebay) - the issue is licensing. To have it be plug and play it would need to be an official product that also works with the wheel driver.. so if you just want a digital handbrake (on/off) you have the option of the TH8A in sequential mode plugged in to the USB port.. GTS I do not believe supports this because.. well I have no idea why PD does many things the way they do. - Otherwise you can buy one on ebay and wire one up yourself to buttons on the wheel which can void your warranty though.

As for an analog one, thrustmaster for some reason refuses to do this on ps4, their TH8A has an analog mode but they won't work with sony to get the functionality added. Maybe it was a poor design choice as the console has no way to tell the TH8A to be in the analog mode, I really don't know.

The other option is to look into the DriveHub and see if it will allow use of the Fanatec USB handbrake with another wheel... but then again you are spending a good amount of money.

That is why you see a lot of DIY sequential shifters and handbrakes. This is the route I went - I wired up an arcade joystick to the static paddle wires on the T300 base that map to R1/L1 and I use that as a sequential shifter while I have my TH8A in sequential mode wired up USB and map that as a handbrake. This setup works well for rally (Dirt Rally/4 and WRC 7) If I really have the need to use H pattern with a handbrake I can use the arcade joystick as the handbrake, I just would have to drill a couple new holes in my shifter mount so I could have it on the other side.

Available in the Thrustmaster's shop.

@Podger any chance of compatibility with DriveHub in the future?:)
I didn't get a notification on this one. Adding support shouldn't be too hard. I would just need a user willing to do some traces.
On PS4 games don't support TM or Logitech wheels with a handbrake, it can be added to the report but games will ignore it.. we did map the analog handbrake to the cross button on PS4, so at least you can use it, it engages at like 5% mind you.
On XB1 adding analog handbrake to the report works across the brands and then depends on how the games deal with it.

the sequential mode can be added to all and would just map the paddles, neither the PS4 or XB1 have seperate inputs for sequentials.

I didn't get a notification on this one. Adding support shouldn't be too hard. I would just need a user willing to do some traces.
On PS4 games don't support TM or Logitech wheels with a handbrake, it can be added to the report but games will ignore it.. we did map the analog handbrake to the cross button on PS4, so at least you can use it, it engages at like 5% mind you.
On XB1 adding analog handbrake to the report works across the brands and then depends on how the games deal with it.

the sequential mode can be added to all and would just map the paddles, neither the PS4 or XB1 have seperate inputs for sequentials.

Just a suggestion - for the button mapping in sequential mode, don't simulate the paddles. Have it be other buttons. This way the users can just map it how they want.

We have the ability to do this on ps4 with the TH8A shifter in sequential mode connected via USB on games like WRC 7 and Dirt 4. That way we can use the paddles to shift and use the shifter in sequential mode as a handbrake. Or even if they own two TH8As they can hook one up as usb for handbrake and the other via the wheel base and use it as a sequential shifter (when directly connected to the base it mimics the paddles L1/R1)

Edit - I think for example in WRC 7 it is button 48 and button 49 - which are not anything on the wheel.

Last edited:
I was searching to see if the LED display was out in Australia yet but found this,

View attachment 716305

$499 AUD :eek::eek::eek::eek: Damn right we'll be waiting for a sale. :indiff:
Won't bother with Pagnian and even any local retailers for that matter. I bought all my Thrustmaster accessories overseas even our dollar is much lower these days. I last bought Thrustmaster 599XX EVO 30 Wheel Add-On Alcantara Edition for USD$99 + $20 shipping which is still AUD$100+ cheaper than buying it locally.

So I just read that support for the handbrake is added to GTsport in the 1.15 update... Hopefully that does mean other developers will follow suit...

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_4814515.html

Can anyone who owns the handbrake and GT sport confirm if it works?
I can confirm that. Handbrake has to be pluged into the base. Works great with GTsport. Works also with Dirt4. Doesn't work with Project cars 2 (at least not yet i think)

I can confirm that. Handbrake has to be pluged into the base. Works great with GTsport. Works also with Dirt4. Doesn't work with Project cars 2 (at least not yet i think)

Does the sequential mode work on GT Sport??

Yes. This works in most games because it is detected as paddles on the wheel (same as TH8 in sequential mode). It worked in Project cars 2, Dirt 4, Dirt rally to. Didn't tested it yet in Assetto corsa.
Did it work as a progressive break?

I guess it works as a TH8A in sequential mode and Dirt Rally, Dirt 4, AC, PCars 2 and GT sport all support a seperate a th8a device connected to USB.

It works as a progressive brake yes. It is also stated in GTsport update notes that is supported as a side brake input. Works great. I wish it would be a little stiffer for me. But i will add a bushing or change to a stiffer spring.

It works as a progressive brake yes. It is also stated in GTsport update notes that is supported as a side brake input. Works great. I wish it would be a little stiffer for me. But i will add a bushing or change to a stiffer spring.
Strange that TM hasnt mad any official statement yet. Perhaps they still need to negotiate official PS4 licence?

I recently bit the bullet and bought the TSS handbrake Sparco mod, even though there is no "official" PS4 support. (It was this or another TH8a shifter)After a short round of testing with Dirt 4, dirt rally, SLRE, Gt sport, WRC 7 and Pcars2 I am happy to say that it works out of the box!

I have not made any firmware updates and just plugged it into the wheelbase Din connector and the TH8a into the ps4 usb port and it actually works really great with games which support USB devices, however support is varied:

Dirt 4 & GT sport

The TSS handbrake is detected in both SEQ and handbrake mode in both games. In Seq mode it acts like a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as r1 and r2. In handbrake mode it is recognised as a separate (handbrake) device.

update from Polyphony explaining "official" support:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_3641113.html

Dirt Rally, SLRE & Pcars 2
The device is not recognised in handbrake mode, but works in seq mode. It is detected as a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as L1 and R1. Sadly it isn't possible to use both the TH8a and TSS in seq mode. Since both the handbrake and shift paddles are mapped to to L1 and R1 you cannot map the handbrake as a handbrake and still use the paddles for sequential shifting. There are 2 workarounds:

1. You can use a TH8a in H mode for shifting and map R1 as a handbrake. The TH8a is mapped in these games as gear1,2 etc. The downside is you wont have sequential shifting available. You can setup the TSS handbrake as a handbrake and keep the toggle switch on seq. That way a handbrake is mapped as R1.

2. You can use a rubberband mod to use the TH8a in H mode as a handbrake and use the TSS as a seq shifter (R1 and L1). Either map gear 4 or perhaps gear 2 as handbrake in the settings.
example of a rubber band mod:

WRC 7
Sadly this game only supports 1 TH8a connected to the base, also only in sequential mode and there is no support for a separate usb device. The TSS is detected and mapped as L1 and R1. You can either map sequential shifting to another button and R1 as a handbrake, use automatic shifting and map R1 as handbrake or use the TSS as shifter and use a different button as a handbrake (default).

Assetto Corsa
@Lirol confirmed the TSS works in handbrake mod connected to the wheelbase.

With the 2 newest games on the list already supporting the handbrake I suspect official support is coming soon and future games will support the game.

sidenote: I use a powered 7-port USB hub for: Wheel, cpx adaptor, TH8a, Sony BT headphones, PSVR.

Hopefully this answers some questions some people have who are interested to buy the TSS handbrake sparco mod on PS4.

Edit: updated with link to Polyphony support for TSS handbrake

Edit 2: anouncement by tm on Facebook:

Edit 3: Confirmed support to Assetto Corsa

Last edited:
Handbrake mode (analog). Sequential works in all games because it's detected as paddles. But remembe, for handbrake to work you have to connect it to the wheel base. You need Din cable that came with TH8A shifter. You don't get cable with handbrake.

Handbrake mode (analog). Sequential works in all games because it's detected as paddles. But remembe, for handbrake to work you have to connect it to the wheel base. You need Din cable that came with TH8A shifter. You don't get cable with handbrake.
Yes I know. I bought the handbrake after you confirmed it is working on ps4. Thanks by the way!

Back