Thrustmaster TSS Handbrake Sparco Mod

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 194 comments
I would like to add support for this device to DriveHub. If any owner can spare some time to make some usb traces...
I understand you need a PC connection... Wish I could help! Don't know if it helps, but in all games in sequential mode it is recognized like the TH8a in seq mode (out of the box). So at least in seq mode it should work with drivehub as TH8a in seq mode.

I understand you need a PC connection... Wish I could help! Don't know if it helps, but in all games in sequential mode it is recognized like the TH8a in seq mode (out of the box). So at least in seq mode it should work with drivehub as TH8a in seq mode.
So what do you do if you have this and a th8a... do you connect both to ps4 via usb, do you plug one into wheel base with din cable ? If so which is better ??

So what do you do if you have this and a th8a... do you connect both to ps4 via usb, do you plug one into wheel base with din cable ? If so which is better ??
The handbrake plugged in wheelbase. I use the din Cable of the TH8a and plug the TH8a in the USB port of ps4.

I recently bit the bullet and bought the TSS handbrake Sparco mod, even though there is no "official" PS4 support. (It was this or another TH8a shifter)After a short round of testing with Dirt 4, dirt rally, SLRE, Gt sport, WRC 7 and Pcars2 I am happy to say that it works out of the box!

I have not made any firmware updates and just plugged it into the wheelbase Din connector and the TH8a into the ps4 usb port and it actually works really great with games which support USB devices, however support is varied:

Dirt 4 & GT sport

The TSS handbrake is detected in both SEQ and handbrake mode in both games. In Seq mode it acts like a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as r1 and r2. In handbrake mode it is recognised as a separate (handbrake) device.

update from Polyphony explaining "official" support:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_3641113.html

Dirt Rally, SLRE & Pcars 2
The device is not recognised in handbrake mode, but works in seq mode. It is detected as a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as L1 and R1. Sadly it isn't possible to use both the TH8a and TSS in seq mode. Since both the handbrake and shift paddles are mapped to to L1 and R1 you cannot map the handbrake as a handbrake and still use the paddles for sequential shifting. There are 2 workarounds:

1. You can use a TH8a in H mode for shifting and map R1 as a handbrake. The TH8a is mapped in these games as gear1,2 etc. The downside is you wont have sequential shifting available. You can setup the TSS handbrake as a handbrake and keep the toggle switch on seq. That way a handbrake is mapped as R1.

2. You can use a rubberband mod to use the TH8a in H mode as a handbrake and use the TSS as a seq shifter (R1 and L1). Either map gear 4 or perhaps gear 2 as handbrake in the settings.
example of a rubber band mod:

WRC 7
Sadly this game only supports 1 TH8a connected to the base, also only in sequential mode and there is no support for a separate usb device. The TSS is detected and mapped as L1 and R1. You can either map sequential shifting to another button and R1 as a handbrake, use automatic shifting and map R1 as handbrake or use the TSS as shifter and use a different button as a handbrake (default).

Assetto Corsa
@Lirol confirmed the TSS works in handbrake mod connected to the wheelbase.

With the 2 newest games on the list already supporting the handbrake I suspect official support is coming soon and future games will support the game.

sidenote: I use a powered 7-port USB hub for: Wheel, cpx adaptor, TH8a, Sony BT headphones, PSVR.

Hopefully this answers some questions some people have who are interested to buy the TSS handbrake sparco mod on PS4.

Edit: updated with link to Polyphony support for TSS handbrake

Edit 2: anouncement by tm on Facebook:

Edit 3: Confirmed support to Assetto Corsa

Can you please take a picture of the screen when you set the handbrake in Dirt 4 in handbrake mode?
when i try to assign the handbrake (in handbrake mode) in the game, nothing happend
no problem to use the tss in shifter mode :) but i buy this product to use in handbrake...
Thanks a lot
PS : EDIT

Last edited:
Can you please take a picture of the screen when you set the handbrake in Dirt 4 in handbrake mode?
when i try to assign the handbrake (in handbrake mode) in the game, nothing happend
Thanks a lot
Did you have the Handbrake connected to the wheelbase with Din connector?

Did you have the Handbrake connected to the wheelbase with Din connector?

Yes! with the th8a cable

Did you connect the TSS (DIN/DIN on wheel) and the TH8A (DIN/USB on PS4) in the same time to play at Dirt 4?
if yes in witch configuration is your TH8A in sequential or with the H grid?

Last edited:
Yes! with the th8a cable

Did you connect the TSS (DIN/DIN on wheel) and the TH8A (DIN/USB on PS4) in the same time to play at Dirt 4?
if yes in witch configuration is your TH8A in sequential or with the H grid?
Yes. The TH8A is in H shifter. I am not near my rig these few days, But I just go into settings and map handbrake and use the handbrake and it will map as "handbrake".

ok thanks
so when you play in manual gear transmission
you play in sequential with the paddles on your wheel or in H with your th8a?
Depends on the car. But I prefer the H pattern in Dirt4. In Dirt Rally I use the TSS as shifter and the TH8a as handbrake.

ok thanks a lot
and if you don't connect the th8a in usb can you set the handbrake on the tss? (with the switch on handbrake position)

Last edited:
ok thanks a lot
and if you don't connect the th8a in usb can you set the handbrake on the tss? (with the switch on handbrake position)
Plugged in the wheelbase it works (switched on handbrake) in GTsport and Dirt 4. I have not tried AC though.

ok thanks ;)
in fact i use the ts-xw + drive hub on ps4 and it never work in handbrake mod (switch position).
same result connect directly on the wheel or on the drive hub (accessory port).
In shifter mod, no problem it's perfect (connect on the wheel).
the problem is that i bought the tss to use in handbrake mod...

Last edited:
I have the TSS mod working now on the DriveHub. I ended up buying one on Amazon at a good price.
I had issues initially on t-gt, it would only work in seq mode. Finally I realized my f/w wasn’t up to date. Once updated it worked and gave me the extra info I needed.
On DriveHub I can use th8a and tss at the same time via USB or with with one the DIN port...
I tested it on GTSport and PCars 1 on Xbox and PS4....

Last edited:
Anyone got a solution for mounting the tss when using the t300rs gt and th8a (with RGS module) on the wheel stand pro? I would like to have it mounted between the shifter and steering wheel.

Anyone got a solution for mounting the tss when using the t300rs gt and th8a (with RGS module) on the wheel stand pro? I would like to have it mounted between the shifter and steering wheel.
I would mount an extended steel or wooden plate with drilled holes for the TH8a/ TSS on the module and use the hardmount holes for the TSS and use the clamp for the TH8a similar to my own setup with a playseat challenge. Check it out:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/playseat-challenge-shifter-mount.377201/#post-12318933

Anyone who can confirm the tss sparco mod can be mounted on the RGS module from wheel stand pro? I thought I saw the guy from 'theslaptrain' having it on there.

yesterday i test the new firmware DriveHub-2.0.3-beta.29 and now each mod (shifter and handbrake) works perfectly under wrc7 (tss connect in usb on accessory port of drive hub).
at the moment i did not test with other racing games. i will do with dirt rally and dirt 4, and will let you know.
just to remember, i play on ps4 with ts-xw + tss + th8a + drivehub

I have a xbox one but ı don't wait the handbrake console version two months more. Can ı use the pc version with WRC 7 , Dirt 4, PC2 as handbrake and shifter? I don't have a TH8a, ı will use only this handbrake with my console. And ı want to know this pc version tss will be full compatible in the future?

Back