Thursday Night Practice (Formerly Driving School)

• Thread starter Neutty
  • 465 comments
I'm a go. Just sat down to start work on my trail braking. I think Blue Moon Bay Infield has a number of corners where I was a sitting duck, outbraking-wise, eg. corners 3, 5, & 8. Also, it might be helpful to look at next week's track as I've never done a speedway race and would like to avoid as much carnage as possible. So far my cunning plan is to not pass anybody going into a corner and hope to avoid the spinning cars on exit, provided I haven't been rear ended into said carnage.

I caught the tail end of a conversation last night about when to shift. I believe it was @SAMHAIN85 that suggested looking at the hp and torque graphs on the car settings page. For the 'vette, hp drops well before the max rpm at 7000. I shifted earlier for my last 'fun' race and I'm pretty sure I was faster in a straight line. Now if I was only faster around corners, I'd be golden.

I caught the tail end of a conversation last night about when to shift. I believe it was @SAMHAIN85 that suggested looking at the hp and torque graphs on the car settings page. For the 'vette, hp drops well before the max rpm at 7000. I shifted earlier for my last 'fun' race and I'm pretty sure I was faster in a straight line. Now if I was only faster around corners, I'd be golden.
Yes. The graphs are something you ought to pay attention to. Cars like the Gr3 Supra and the Gr4 Veyron are much quicker while utilising the short shift, while the Gr3 Porsche and Gr4 Huracan are quite the opposite.

Yes. The graphs are something you ought to pay attention to. Cars like the Gr3 Supra and the Gr4 Veyron are much quicker while utilising the short shift, while the Gr3 Porsche and Gr4 Huracan are quite the opposite.
Where are the graphs at ?

Thanks to the BoD for last nights school and to @SAMHAIN85 for the slow tour of Catalunya. I got kinda messed up and got in a bit late, but picked up a couple of pointers, especially that black box going into corner 1. These are the tiny tidbits that really help me. @Jw_wk1010 did the same thing for me at Spa where he pointed out a screen he used as a braking point that I had never noticed before. All blindingly informative. I hope this kind of thing will continue going forward for upcoming tracks. I'm off to do some homework.

@Jw_wk1010 is anyone willing to share some knowledge? Especially for next weeks race at Interlagos; lines, turn-in points, braking. I've really benefited from slow laps by an instructor who describes their approach to parts of the course. For last night's racing I could have benefited from a quick lesson on how to do a rolling start when in pole position, which is where I ended up for my very first, ever on an oval. I didn't do a good job. Next time.

Im currently up in the air for tonight. I'm not the greatest at interlagos and I'm not sure what time I'll be able to get on.

Hey man, if you have a chance to get on, lets try and sort something out. I’ll be online for sure.

I might be available for a quick session. I have something else I need to practice for and I enjoy interlagos.
If you'd be willing to do a 'walking' lap of Interlagos, with commentary, so I/we could spectate, that would be great. Is there also a SNAIL practice tonight?

Worst case scenario, for those of us who want to at least practice, let's open a room and at least run some laps!

I can have a room open if you guys want. Probably would be around 7:30 CST.
I'll check in around then. Meanwhile, I'm going to do some practice laps. I'll probably open a room, but I'm inexperienced as a host. Perhaps it would be better if I moved to someone else's room later.

So here’s what I plan to do. I have to practice for tomorrow night and some for Saturday. IF I feel comfortable enough with those two combos, I’ll jump in for about 15 or so minutes and do a walk through. In the mean time, do everything you can to figure out what works better. Try to find the line on your own and IF I can make it in there, I’ll show you mine and see where you compare. Remember it’s faster to brake earlier to get on the throttle earlier.

So here’s what I plan to do. I have to practice for tomorrow night and some for Saturday. IF I feel comfortable enough with those two combos, I’ll jump in for about 15 or so minutes and do a walk through. In the mean time, do everything you can to figure out what works better. Try to find the line on your own and IF I can make it in there, I’ll show you mine and see where you compare. Remember it’s faster to brake earlier to get on the throttle earlier.
I'll look for Mrs.Neutty's lobby around 5:30. Hope to see you. You're a good teacher. Interlagos, right?

Back