Tidgneys Videos (GT Academy, TT, Races, Tutorials)

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 151 comments
Hey All!

The latest video is up, this week it's all about outside influences!! So how exercise, and the foods you eat can have an effect on you or your performance at the finals!! I've also posted below this video my final laptime from the OTTS that I was involved in which was also linked to the challenge!

Any questions, comments/critisms extra feel free to post them always happy to hear or answer them!

Cheers,

I'm trying to get at least 1 decent battle up a week :)! I know my days are a little off at the moment but that's due to my wheel being semi-broke! Anyhow here's the latest one I've uploaded, PoVs following soon;

Hey All!!

Sorry for the long delay in these videos as you know my wheel broke and I got my new setup up and running last week, so videos can start being produced again!! This video relates to that quite well in the fact that it's about equipment and how a wheel may be slightly faster, it's not essential as you'll see in the video!!

Enjoy!

Hey All :)!

This week it's on setting up a car, well how I do it at least (Which isn't very good but what I say is right), the main things I look at if I have to setup a car (As explained in the video :) );

- Downforce
- Transmission
- Suspension
- Brake Balance

I hope this helps some of you and special video at the weekend which those on my twitter will already know what that is ;)!

Enjoy!

Hey Everyone,

Another episode is up and another one should be out later this week :)! It's based on my driving experience in the GTR around silverstone which I won from a GT competition at the British GT last summer! Anyway both videos are below, and the analysis on it should help put some perspective on thought processes and each and every situation you face with a car!

The driving experience:

Road 2 GT Academy episode 12!:

Enjoy!

Wow, impressive lap with the GTR in your driving experience video. 👍

You seemed very comfortable with it, your instructor didn't need to do much. :P

Wow, impressive lap with the GTR in your driving experience video. 👍

You seemed very comfortable with it, your instructor didn't need to do much. :P

:D, cheers it was my second stint so he was saying alot more on the first run (He was also really good as well!), especially going from my little everyday car to something like that :P! Still it was fun, and very very enjoyable! I felt very comfortable, had no tunnel vision and a clear mind (Even with a 5am get up to get there on time lol! I say on time I arrived 4 minutes before it started!).

I noticed you said the GTR brake pedal felt soft and you thought it would be stiffer. I also thought the same thing when I got to drive a 370Z race-spec car at national finals. I was surprised how soft the pedals were, like almost a Nissan Micra IIRC. I guess it must vary depending on car manufacturer / how it is tuned so won't be surprised in future if I ever get to drive a Nissan that has stiff pedals.

Your instructor seemed to push you on more and more which is good to see. Not as crazy as what they do in GT Academy though which is tell you to go as fast you can from the off but it is understandable why they do this. You seemed to enjoy the experience which is the main thing 👍.

I noticed you said the GTR brake pedal felt soft and you thought it would be stiffer. I also thought the same thing when I got to drive a 370Z race-spec car at national finals. I was surprised how soft the pedals were, like almost a Nissan Micra IIRC. I guess it must vary depending on car manufacturer / how it is tuned so won't be surprised in future if I ever get to drive a Nissan that has stiff pedals.

Your instructor seemed to push you on more and more which is good to see. Not as crazy as what they do in GT Academy though which is tell you to go as fast you can from the off but it is understandable why they do this. You seemed to enjoy the experience which is the main thing 👍.

Hey Mate :),

Hope things are all good with yourself :)! Ye the pedals seem really soft, quite remarkable to be fair, certainly if I was racing I'd ask for a stiffer brake pedal well actually I assume the brakes would be far stiffer in a racecar than the roadcars.

Ye my instructor was good, as you say we aren't allowed to push to our limits as the cars have to be useable all year that particular car had done 23k-24k miles on it. My final lap was quite a quick lap to be fair to them, but to be fair I also could have gone quicker :P.

Hope things are all good with yourself :)! Ye the pedals seem really soft, quite remarkable to be fair, certainly if I was racing I'd ask for a stiffer brake pedal well actually I assume the brakes would be far stiffer in a racecar than the roadcars.

Ye my instructor was good, as you say we aren't allowed to push to our limits as the cars have to be useable all year that particular car had done 23k-24k miles on it. My final lap was quite a quick lap to be fair to them, but to be fair I also could have gone quicker :P.
Hi Mate

Things are good and yourself? I think only way to know would be to ask one of the Nismo Athletes how stiff pedals are on the proper Nissan race cars they get to drive or become one yourself ;).

Another reason why they probably don't allow people to push is probably because of this: Link (Rob sure has good composure in that video) but I assume they have dual controls on cars used on experience days? It would be awesome if in GT Academy, everyone who made it to race camp got decent tuition / time to mess around with say a 370z for a good half hour before being judged seriously. Might level playing field a bit more than say people who have more experience but I guess it measures determination in a way in current format. Grateful that they are still spending on us gamers regardless 👍.

Will be interesting to see if they do next GT Academy on a new GT game / physics engine or not.

Hey All,

You may have noticed I've uploaded videos and not updated this thread initially. The reason being I've been looking to update the front cover of the video page feed to help you guys/girls find the latest videos much easier, but also to allow you to have access to the previous footage much easier. So I've slimmed it down, categorized the videos and fully updated the front page, and this is now also showing the latest videos :)!

I will finish sorting out the playlists for you so that, that is also much easier to navigate!!

Enjoy the latest videos guys :)!

Hi Mate

Things are good and yourself? I think only way to know would be to ask one of the Nismo Athletes how stiff pedals are on the proper Nissan race cars they get to drive or become one yourself ;).

Another reason why they probably don't allow people to push is probably because of this: Link (Rob sure has good composure in that video) but I assume they have dual controls on cars used on experience days? It would be awesome if in GT Academy, everyone who made it to race camp got decent tuition / time to mess around with say a 370z for a good half hour before being judged seriously. Might level playing field a bit more than say people who have more experience but I guess it measures determination in a way in current format. Grateful that they are still spending on us gamers regardless 👍.

Will be interesting to see if they do next GT Academy on a new GT game / physics engine or not.

Hey Man,

Good thanks. There isn't actually dual control, you'd think so, but there isn't which is one reason why they don't want you to push it ;p. I tried to find out about the accidents, as there were 2 although not depicted that well in the video. I think the GT4 car, the guy completely outbroke himself, but I was also interested into why he was driving that car as no other academy has used it before a winner? So could that be the winner? I may be completely wrong on this ;p. The second was apparently an ABS issue? Not sure what people expect though really, when you get thrown into a competition where you literally have to push your limits in an environment your not totally used to, but that's how you win this sort of thing, I assume Nissan and GT Academy both expect something like this to happen at some point ;p.

I honestly can imagine this format during the next year;

GT6 to PS3
GT Academy to PS4 (Similar to the PS3 demo which Lucas won)

Personally I would love Nissan and GT Academy to try enter the BTCC (Nissan returning to BTCC would be awesome, I miss the primera, and nissan racing in generally in the BTCC ;p), especially with ITV4 now on board, it would make for awesome viewing, and I can imagine the following would be quite big in the UK for something like that, but lets wait and see I guess :)!

Last edited:
Aloha!

Next episode is up, this week I talk about some of the competitions/live events I've done how I'm going to use those experiences to help me improve, but also how you could possibly take away something aswell from this that could help you at GT Academy or other Competitions!

Enjoy!

==============================================

I've also made the first page load alot better by removing all the videos showing on the first page, so that there was no lag issue as there was 30+ videos loading from the GT Academy, which is alot when added up ;p. All still viewable by links on the first page :D!

Hey Guys,

Next video is up :)!

Sorry for the slow production of videos this week! Been rather busy at work!! But this week's episode of the Road to GT Academy is all about thinking time. So we look at how thinking time can initially be very simple, but it can soon add up, and a couple of ways to improve your thinking time!

Enjoy!

Mate, your content is fully legit. This thread is actually pretty epic. If I wasn't a lazy so-and-so I might do something similar ;) Keep up the hard work dude, will probably see you on track soon anyways 👍

Mate, your content is fully legit. This thread is actually pretty epic. If I wasn't a lazy so-and-so I might do something similar ;) Keep up the hard work dude, will probably see you on track soon anyways 👍

Cheers Mate :)! And back at you, actually back at you + 1 with regards to your content, enjoy your videos 👍. Think you'd need a huge page for your videos =D!

O don't you worry I'll be at next wednesdays race for sure :)!

Hey Everyone,

Next episode is up! Some people have messaged me over the weeks, and also a small topic on Ronin also came up about it where some people were applying the given topics but still struggling, so I've broken down 1 corner, in a 10 lap succession. So we can look at how to improve and applying it really simply on each given lap!

Enjoy!

[Youtube]O_WBSI9DdQg[/media]​

As always any questions, comments or criticisms give me a shout :)!

Tid, we should do a video together soon, would be good to do something man!

I'd honestly love to, but time is against me at the moment, I've been struggling to get any videos out of late due to work and just general life/social stuff happening, so wouldnt want to let you down by saying yes and then not being able to commit :(! It's sort of why I've stopped committing a day to the main video series at the moment as well :(!

But if I do get some time I'd be happy to :)! More GT content the better :D imho :D!

Hey Man,

Good thanks. There isn't actually dual control, you'd think so, but there isn't which is one reason why they don't want you to push it ;p. I tried to find out about the accidents, as there were 2 although not depicted that well in the video. I think the GT4 car, the guy completely outbroke himself, but I was also interested into why he was driving that car as no other academy has used it before a winner? So could that be the winner? I may be completely wrong on this ;p. The second was apparently an ABS issue? Not sure what people expect though really, when you get thrown into a competition where you literally have to push your limits in an environment your not totally used to, but that's how you win this sort of thing, I assume Nissan and GT Academy both expect something like this to happen at some point ;p.

I honestly can imagine this format during the next year;

GT6 to PS3
GT Academy to PS4 (Similar to the PS3 demo which Lucas won)

Personally I would love Nissan and GT Academy to try enter the BTCC (Nissan returning to BTCC would be awesome, I miss the primera, and nissan racing in generally in the BTCC ;p), especially with ITV4 now on board, it would make for awesome viewing, and I can imagine the following would be quite big in the UK for something like that, but lets wait and see I guess :)!
I can’t remember but I think potentially the 370z I got to drive had dual controls. It is quite strange seeing say video of experience days and then you get to drive car at the finals, the instructors want to see you push as hard as you can from the off. Now if there were more of them experiences around cheap then that would great but I guess it would be just too expensive with wear and tear on car and risks of accidents.

Regarding them crashes, I don’t know why they did not put less pressure on brakes or go off them completely and try and get the car turning away from the wall. I guess it is due to experience and maybe people are used to mashing the brakes too much from GT5. I don’t remember that many crashes in other race camps though, so I wonder if the less competitive times set in them regions was reason why maybe, as in less technical knowledge about going faster. Like you said though, it is probably expected to happen putting a number of gamers in race cars, maybe it is surprising that there are not a number more crashes. Must be a surreal experience, they probably got GT4 cars as maybe they are upping the budgets for it or could be as you said ;).

I think GT6 on PS3 might come out this year probably even within next two months, if GT Academy is going to be used for it. Otherwise GT Academy will have to be a standalone download again. I can see GT Academy being on PS4 next year though.

BTCC would be good, Nissan to conquer Motorsport world with loads of Gran Turismo drivers ;).

Some comments about your recent episodes, I remember that final race in the 2012 UK and Ireland Finals. I was worried on the 3rd race that you would pick up pace as I was making sure to cruise at a steady speed, credit to wheelyclean though for leading all three, I guess he needed to win to have chance of progressing. I didn’t have any confidence in what steering wheel was telling me in order for me to push so I made sure I didn’t risk it and it paid off in the end. I was racing like I was on soft Pirelli F1 tyres :lol:.

About Thinking time episode, I think it is important also to not drive consciously but subconsciously. I think that is an important step to make. I think I was driving consciously in 2011 GT Academy Time Trial for example but after SLS TGTT Time Trial where I switched views to bumper view I started driving finally subconsciously. Something like Felipe Massa will say, "driving the car in an automatic direction."

Ye the final race was so gutting, as when I was at the back I soon realised that there was no way of catching as people had gotten used to the combo :(, but I'll be fighting, and fighting harder than ever this year, all sorts of training, and all sorts of events before hand to keep me going :)! Manchester 10k Run, National 3 peaks challenge all for GT Academy!

With thinking time I think you got it there, but that's what I sort of try and get across, because if you can develop a tactic for a given corner, give it a lap or two or however many any given individual needs and it will start becoming automatic, then suddenly your not thinking, your just doing. I suppose it's a bit like somebody turning into a bot after say a 3 hour stint on GT on the same track, you don't really concentrate you keep going round and sometimes, you just nail a lap without realizing ;p.

Hopefully see you again this year Saidur 👍 if your going for it of course :)!

Ye the final race was so gutting, as when I was at the back I soon realised that there was no way of catching as people had gotten used to the combo :(, but I'll be fighting, and fighting harder than ever this year, all sorts of training, and all sorts of events before hand to keep me going :)! Manchester 10k Run, National 3 peaks challenge all for GT Academy!

With thinking time I think you got it there, but that's what I sort of try and get across, because if you can develop a tactic for a given corner, give it a lap or two or however many any given individual needs and it will start becoming automatic, then suddenly your not thinking, your just doing. I suppose it's a bit like somebody turning into a bot after say a 3 hour stint on GT on the same track, you don't really concentrate you keep going round and sometimes, you just nail a lap without realizing ;p.

Hopefully see you again this year Saidur 👍 if your going for it of course :)!
I think my pace stayed relatively the same as I was driving the same way, wheelyclean also seemed to have similar pace. I think Jann IIRC watched the race and gave the 👍 when I was exiting the pod. Pressure was a lot for sure in that final race after feeling a sense of relief in the 2nd race for a brief second before realising so few names on driver list and then looking around to see other pods. Unlucky with the start by the way, that was my main worry as you could easily get cards for contact, much more easier to drive with no one in your way. The ring part of track was most scary for me, as I could feel car get lighter in steering feel. If I was you though, I would have tried to make it to the end at good pace, you never know what could happen at the end, don't know how far you behind 3rd though so all relative.

I expect you to win the fitness challenge then, no pressure ;), should be 3rd time lucky for you to make it to that stage. You never know though, I was seriously unprepared for 2012 finals and didn’t know whether to go or not but surprised I managed to make it to the target of getting to drive the 370z. I could get a lot more prepared and fail to make it into day 2 potentially as if they have a lot of wildcard entries again, then you could potentially get knocked off track maybe in a few races and then you are out. Racing got cleaner in day 2, I wonder why ;).

It should help people a lot that video as some people might only concentrate on a corner and do not think ahead much. Describing steps to make it subconscious is good way to help people get there and also idea of improving vision of track. Haven’t done a 3 hour stint on GT before but I get what you are saying. I normally realise if I’m on a good lap though going by splits. Maybe that is why I bottled so many good laps in last corner as you might have done as we start getting conscious again :lol:.

Hope to see you there too 👍, if I do make it that is :lol:. I don’t think I will get to a level I would like but given this years a bit more delayed, I can play a bit of catch up hopefully and get closer to a stage where I can compete a bit more on a closer level.

Morning All !

Sorry for the delay in track guides, I've produced the next one which is based upon the Indy - Road Course. Usual stuff to last time, with identification of brake markers, a general idea of racing line, any advantages you can gain. With also a look at a flying lap and a pit lane guide!

Enjoy!

[Youtube]lllc7681ItQ[/Youtube]​

Yet another video today :D! Last night I had a quick go at the Vette Seasonal TT and made 37th Overall, so decided to have another quick go today (15 laps or so) anyway Lap 4 was my best on that stint and came out with a 1:25.8 which gave me 13th!! Probably won't be having another go with it so uploaded my replay for you to enjoy :)!

Afternoon all :)!

Just to let you know the next episode of the Road to GT Academy is up :)! It's about mental prep/race prep which was a request made :)! But I also talk about how the prep can help with the new aspects you can think about during a race!

Of course as usual, any questions/comments/requests/constructive criticism highly welcomed :)!

Cheers,

Hey Everyone :),

Sorry for the slight delay had a powercut monday night so the video sort of stopped uploaded because of it :P! Non the less, its here and ready to watch!! It's all to do with race analysis and some thoughts as I race. This was done in an open lobby which was livestreamed by oink another youtuber who contributes alot to the GT Community!

Any questions feel free to fire away!

Enjoy;

Hey All!!

Another video, yes that's right 2 in a day! This is in celebration of tomorrows 15th anniversary celebration!!

GT has had a huge effect on my life, ever since I played GT1... (Video Description has my best memories)! So though it only commendable to post a celebration video! The video contains footage from all 5 GT's and music from Nero Me 7 You.

Apologies to German viewers as you will unfortunately not be able to listen to it I believe? Or possibly blocked.

Anyhow the rest of the world!

ENJOY!!!

Hey, Tidgney.

I've just started watching the Road to GT Academy 2013 series. Even after the intro, I can't wait to watch the rest of it. You're very professional during the commentary, which I respect a lot, as the videos are a lot more helpful. You're also a very friendly and genuine character which makes them so much more worth watching.

I'll watch a few more tonight and then continue with the rest during the week. If GTA does come around this year, I hope you make it third time lucky! You deserve it. 👍

Hey, Tidgney.

I've just started watching the Road to GT Academy 2013 series. Even after the intro, I can't wait to watch the rest of it. You're very professional during the commentary, which I respect a lot, as the videos are a lot more helpful. You're also a very friendly and genuine character which makes them so much more worth watching.

I'll watch a few more tonight and then continue with the rest during the week.

Hey Mate :)!

I'm glad you like them, and as you start to watch them if you do have any questions, fire away and I'll be happy to answer them :)! Thankyou for the kind comments, I'd like to think I'm friendly throughout all walks of life :)!

If GTA does come around this year, I hope you make it third time lucky! You deserve it. 👍

Cheers for the kind words of luck! I hope to make it to the European finals, just any part of the competition where judges get the opportunity to assess, as that's all I'm after as are many I suppose for that 1 opportunity :)! Hopefully I can use this luck to get me there :D, so Thankyou!

Back