Time Trial #69 | 650pp 2WD Racing Cars @ Spa Francorchamps

• Thread starter Doodle
  • 238 comments
Bloody hell, 1.6 sec's up at that point. I think you would be right, just like Hoot and Teitzy say.

Yeah I don't often use my wheel but have the ability to switch between my dfgt and the ds3 and be just as quick with either one instantly it just depends on the car and driving style but this car on this track the wheel is the way to go.
At work now but I'm gonna have a few hours tonight see if I can crack the 2.02s

Trying to crack the top 1000 for the first time on this TT. Only two Americans in the top 100 and only three in the top 130, not a popular car/track combo in the states?

I have the same issue with the Mazda in the slower corners and it understeers a lot too. If I can only get the exit out of La Source bang on, half the job is done. Need to find and test a good tune.

Yeah, La Source and even coming out of the chicane even before the S/F line. I'm feathering the throttle (and/or the traction control is on) so much that the Chaparral 2J ghost that I'm chasing just runs away from me like he's in a different league.:yuck: I gain back some time thru Eau Rouge, but then lose a little more time thru each successive turn.:grumpy:

Update: I've just cracked 2:07 with my Mazda 787B!!

I have now run a 2:06.496:):) which has slotted me into 952 place on the Leaderboard (for the moment).

Good luck with your Mazda 787B runs!

Edit update:
------------
The following is my current tune for the Mazda 787B:

Downforce: 50/73
Ballast: 70kg, +40 to the rear
P. Limiter: 75.5%
Ride: -13/-13
Springs 14.0/13.5
Exten: 4/5
Compr: 3/4
ARB.: 3/4
Camber: 2.0/1.5
Toe.: -.03/-.03
LSD.: 10/15/10
Brakes: 5/5
Transmission:
Auto on 217
Top speed: 222mph
Gears:
---1) 3.861
---2) 2.416
---3) 1.685
---4) 1.244
---5) 0.976
Final: 3.800

The above tune gives me the basic spec's of:
----------------------------
Horsepower 582
Weight....: 900
PPvalue....: 650

See you on the tracks!
GTsail2UCD

Last edited:
***** I'm using 5/7 BB.

It helps me but may not suit others. Just makes the back end slide a bit more under braking which I find helps on the tighter corners and also at the end of the straight where I am braking late, turning in early & trail braking.

I've taken your suggestion, and changed the brake balance on my Chaparral 2J to 5/6 (I was previously running my Spa laps with a 5/4 BB).

After a few warm-up laps (reacquainting myself with the Chaparral's quirks), I've just run a 2:03.821 lap!:):)

I've moved up the Leaderboard into 141st place with my 2J.:)

Thanks for the BB suggestion!
Sorry about the double post:guilty:
See you on the track!
GTsail4

I've taken your suggestion, and changed the brake balance on my Chaparral 2J to 5/6 (I was previously running my Spa laps with a 5/4 BB).

After a few warm-up laps (reacquainting myself with the Chaparral's quirks), I've just run a 2:03.821 lap!:):)

I've moved up the Leaderboard into 141st place with my 2J.:)

Thanks for the BB suggestion!
Sorry about the double post:guilty:
See you on the track!
GTsail4

Nice job mate 👍

Well boys im out of here, the wheel has a mind of it's own, keeps decelerating down fast straight.
The potentiometer in the accelerator is cream crackered. Won't be able to fix this one.Already swapped them over ages ago when i first had trouble with it.
Saving up for a new wheel so will be back when it happens, but will still be watching.
Tried the controller but 4+ seconds slower.
My best time on wheel was 2.05.551.
Any body needs a car send fr to stewyripper on psn and will put it on share for you.
All the best people
stewyripper
:grumpy:

After much practice with controller now within 2 seconds of my best time with wheel, 2.05.551 with wheel 2.07.502 with controller.
Getting there, got till Thursday to improve, more practice needed.
Well done to all who are improving their times.:)

After much practice with controller now within 2 seconds of my best time with wheel, 2.05.551 with wheel 2.07.502 with controller.

I m sure that you can to do the same time as your wheel with your DS3 ...its harder if you use the steering buttons than joystic...but needed more practice as you say,so after that all will be easier with your wheel.My opinion is that ds3 is slower about 1 sec/1 min in a good lap....anyway good luck in your new try

Yeah, La Source and even coming out of the chicane even before the S/F line. I'm feathering the throttle (and/or the traction control is on) so much that the Chaparral 2J ghost that I'm chasing just runs away from me like he's in a different league.:yuck: I gain back some time thru Eau Rouge, but then lose a little more time thru each successive turn.:grumpy:

Update: I've just cracked 2:07 with my Mazda 787B!!

I have now run a 2:06.693:):) which has slotted me into 964 place on the Leaderboard (for the moment).

Good luck with your Mazda 787B runs!
GTsail2UCD

Did a few laps today but was distracted. Will really have to practice to get this right. I'm having some trouble with Eau Rouge but not as much as with the bloody chicanes.

skyline1683
Just fine tuned my setup for my driving style and posted a 2.04.290 and manage to recover 0.487 with very scrappy first sector and hot me in top 100 so thought I'd share see if it helps anyone

Ride height. -8 -5
Spring rate 13.5 18.3
Dampers (ex) 4 5
Dampers(cp) 3 5
Arb. 2 3
Camber 2.9 1.9
Toe. 0.15 -0.25

LSD

Brakes F8 R9
Ballast 29 kg at 50 for 45/55
No turbo 90.1% power

Gears
1st. 1.655
2nd. 1.176
3rd. 0.925
Final. 3.131

Skyline have you changed your setup much or did you improve on driving?

Skyline have you changed your setup much or did you improve on driving?

It's was a bit of both really changed setup to how I wanted to drive the car
Stretched 2nd gear out so I could maximise the power band and got more weight over the back of the car to get it to slide abit more on entrance to corners. I've been using my ds3 up until now but switched to wheel and I'm 1.6 up on my best but keep red lapping on final sweeping left and chicane

skyline1683
It's was a bit of both really changed setup to how I wanted to drive the car
Stretched 2nd gear out so I could maximise the power band and got more weight over the back of the car to get it to slide abit more on entrance to corners. I've been using my ds3 up until now but switched to wheel and I'm 1.6 up on my best but keep red lapping on final sweeping left and chicane
Thanks, 1.6 is huge. I see your break balance is set high. Have you tried lowering the front to help turn in while breaking? I've tried several settings but didn't find much time.

Thanks, 1.6 is huge. I see your break balance is set high. Have you tried lowering the front to help turn in while breaking? I've tried several settings but didn't find much time.

Yeah it's set high but I adjust it through the course of the lap up and down to get best possible balance on turn in on middle sector just my personal style but found last few tt it really helped take a huge leap forward in speed and now consistently in top 500

skyline1683
Yeah it's set high but I adjust it through the course of the lap up and down to get best possible balance on turn in on middle sector just my personal style but found last few tt it really helped take a huge leap forward in speed and now consistently in top 500

I have also been playing with changing the bb during the lap but loose concentration when I do, resulting in a bad corner. I'm going to give it an other shot!

Toyota GT-ONE
Ballast 75 kgs at position 50.
No turbo installed.
Diff:
5/25/5
Suspension:

Height:-10/-15
Stiffness:18.0/15.0
amortiguación: 8/9
Extención:8/9
Antiroll bars:6/7

Ángulo de caída: 2.0/1.0
Ángulo de eje: -0.25/0.00

With a very good driving a high 2:03 can be done.
But no way to keep up with the Chaparrals

Nice tune!👍

I've tried your tune, and one of mine, and the best I've been able to do with the Toyota GT-ONE was a 2:06.752 lap (which is outside the top 1000, currently 1050th place), and it was a lot of work.:ill:

I'm finding that I get too much wheel-spin coming out of the slow corners if I run my laps without the traction control, but if I have the TC turned on, the GT-ONE is slow to turn, and exhibits way too much understeer, so I just can't get the most from the car.

Were you using the traction control or have you been able to contain the wheel-spin thru better throttle application?

Respectfully,
GTsail3

I have also been playing with changing the bb during the lap but loose concentration when I do, resulting in a bad corner. I'm going to give it an other shot!

I had same problem so only adjust bb at certain points on track gives me enough time to set what I need and get ready for brake zone.
I do it on start finish straight just after eu rouge and before sweeping left hander it's just my preference but I know alot of top guys adjust on most corners

Now we are less than a second down, do not like using ds3, cant wait to get new wheel.
Dont know how you boys go so quickly on ds3, im struggling with it, used to be good years ago gt3/gt4 days.

Thanks to skyline1683 and letting me use one of his 2J's, got down to a 2:05.256 after just a few runs. Much better than my 2:07.xxx in the 905. Still need to get used to 2J's quirks. Having trouble with corner entry and running a bit wide. Thinking a mid to low 2:04 will be my skill level limit.

Thanks again skyline

Thanks to skyline1683 and letting me use one of his 2J's, got down to a 2:05.256 after just a few runs. Much better than my 2:07.xxx in the 905. Still need to get used to 2J's quirks. Having trouble with corner entry and running a bit wide. Thinking a mid to low 2:04 will be my skill level limit.

Thanks again skyline

Not a problem mate glad I could help

Thanks again skyline

Got it down to a 2:04.349 used 5/7 brake balance. Thinking I can get another .750-.500 with more practice. Really have to nail that last sector and try to get on the throttle a bit sooner in the top part of the track. The short wheel base of the 2J makes it a little tricky to drive hard.

Got it down to a 2:04.349 used 5/7 brake balance. Thinking I can get another .750-.500 with more practice. Really have to nail that last sector and try to get on the throttle a bit sooner in the top part of the track. The short wheel base of the 2J makes it a little tricky to drive hard.

Nice mate great lap

Nice tune!👍

I've tried your tune, and one of mine, and the best I've been able to do with the Toyota GT-ONE was a 2:06.752 lap (which is outside the top 1000, currently 1050th place), and it was a lot of work.:ill:

I'm finding that I get too much wheel-spin coming out of the slow corners if I run my laps without the traction control, but if I have the TC turned on, the GT-ONE is slow to turn, and exhibits way too much understeer, so I just can't get the most from the car.

Were you using the traction control or have you been able to contain the wheel-spin thru better throttle application?

Respectfully,
GTsail3

Hey mate :)
I wasn't using the traction control. Just carefully throttle application. Just not pull full throttle whenever you go out of a corner, make sure that the car has all the grip to then put the hammer down :).
As andvice for corner entries, beware to brake with the car completely straight, and braking smoothly.
Yes, the cars understeers a bit cause of it's length, the only way to put it where you want is braking smoothly as i wrote and leaving the pedal or button, the car will do a little spin(don't accelerate at that point!!), thats what you have to take advantage :)
However, i'm using now a shared 2j and i improved my lap a lot, but i think it's a little bit more hard drive at high speed corners.
i'll later share the tune :)
Good luck mate!!

I've cracked into the top 1000 with my Toyota GT-ONE!:)

I've just run a 2:06.559 which slots me into 998th place!:nervous:

My lap was very clean, so I don't think I will be able to find any more time.:(

I have been running the laps with no TC, which means that I'm being very careful with throttle application. I've been using third gear to come out of the final chicane which means that my GT-ONE is just lugging up the S/F straight.:yuck: I've had to resort to 3rd gear launches because otherwise, I almost always spin my wheels in 2nd gear.

See you on the track!
GTsail

Great!! Well, this is the moment that you have to go beyond your limits and keep pulling :)!! Is the only way!!
Good luck!!

I've cracked into the top 1000 with my Toyota GT-ONE!:)

I've just run a 2:06.559 which slots me into 998th place!:nervous:

My lap was very clean, so I don't think I will be able to find any more time.:(

I have been running the laps with no TC, which means that I'm being very careful with throttle application. I've been using third gear to come out of the final chicane which means that my GT-ONE is just lugging up the S/F straight.:yuck: I've had to resort to 3rd gear launches because otherwise, I almost always spin my wheels in 2nd gear.

See you on the track!
GTsail

What is the point in having 7 accounts in the top 1000? Kinda sucks for some of us trying to have our highest finish ever.

What is the point in having 7 accounts in the top 1000? Kinda sucks for some of us trying to have our highest finish ever.

Sorry about that!:guilty:

I kind of got carried away with running different cars and different tunes in the Spa Time Trial.:dopey:

Prior to this Seasonal, I didn't have much experience running laps on the Spa track, so I figured that this Time Trial would be an excellent chance to learn the track.💡

I figured that if I only have one game profile in the top 250 it would be ok (because only the top 250 places get shown on the online Leaderboard). There have been previous discussions about putting more than one game profile in the top ten places, and it was pretty much a concensus that putting more than one game in the top ten was unfair, but I thought that having them outside the top 250 was ok.

So currently I only have one game profile in the top 250 places (currently in 172nd place).

What would your recommendation be for how many cars someone could put in the top 1000? Would two or three be ok?

I actually have ten games in various stages of completion, and I will sometimes switch between the games and run the Seasonals and the Time Trials to gain cars/tickets and credits. Yes ten!:crazy:

Edit:
---------
I can see a problem if the limitation was only one car in the top 1000.

Lets say that there are five drivers in a Time Trial League. These 5 drivers are all going to run the Spa TT using the same car, the Bentley Speed 8, and the Time Trial League uses the Leaderboard as evidence of their official placings.

After a week, the five drivers are placed on the Leaderboard as follows:

Driver one --- 970th place
Driver two --- 990th place
Driver three - 1020th place
Driver four -- 1050th place
Driver five --- 1070th place

During the week, some of the league drivers also have the time to run the Spa TT with the Chaparral 2J to see how they rank overall. The top two drivers can't run Spa with their 2J's because they will likely go below 1000th place, but the slowest 3 drivers can run their 2J's.:drool:

How would it be fair to limit the faster drivers from running Spa with their Chaparral 2Js?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
I guess anyone can do as they please. For me I only have 1 account for time trial and if I choose to use other cars I race them against eachother. I can see though where it might be interesting for others to see what times can be set with secondary cars. On the other hand if everyone did that it would mess up the boards, and on the advanced leader boards everyone is listed, not just the first 250.

Speaking of the leader boards, how often does the extended one get updated?
I have been improving my times with the Minolta'89 but I don't see my handle in the extended board.

I am at 2:08.3xx (or is it 2:08.4xxx - can't remember got the ps3 off atm).
Handle is mr_slow_n_boring.

Sorry about that!:guilty:

I kind of got carried away with running different cars and different tunes in the Spa Time Trial.:dopey:

Prior to this Seasonal, I didn't have much experience running laps on the Spa track, so I figured that this Time Trial would be an excellent chance to learn the track.💡

I figured that if I only have one game profile in the top 250 it would be ok (because only the top 250 places get shown on the online Leaderboard). There have been previous discussions about putting more than one game profile in the top ten places, and it was pretty much a concensus that putting more than one game in the top ten was unfair, but I thought that having them outside the top 250 was ok.

So currently I only have one game profile in the top 250 places (currently in 172nd place).

What would your recommendation be for how many cars someone could put in the top 1000? Would two or three be ok?

I actually have ten games in various stages of completion, and I will sometimes switch between the games and run the Seasonals and the Time Trials to gain cars/tickets and credits. Yes ten!:crazy:

Respectfully,
GTsail

I personally don't have an issue with what you are doing, however when folks run 3-4 accounts using identical cars as has happened in the past I get a bit cranky (especially if they are in front of me on the leaderboard :D )

Speaking of the leader boards, how often does the extended one get updated?
I have been improving my times with the Minolta'89 but I don't see my handle in the extended board.

I am at 2:08.3xx (or is it 2:08.4xxx - can't remember got the ps3 off atm).
Handle is mr_slow_n_boring.

208.346 @ #2534

I think it updates every 10-15 minutes.

Back