Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,126 comments
Gave it a couple of more laps even though the gold was secured, just to see if I can do better than 2:13.5xx

SHARE_20230126_0742271.jpeg

Looking at the replay, I'm again certain that I could go into 2:12s, but I just don't want to drive this car. I don't particularly like the track, but in the Gr3 TT that we had a while ago, it was not so bad, it just suits it somehow. This Cayman is a nightmare, slowmotion slide struggle. If they would just put it on SM or SS tires it would be miles better, but they didn't...

Genuinely surprised the top time hasn't been chipped down yet.

At this rate, gold will stay in the 2:14s...my previous 2:14.0 time would've been enough, apparently.

Sometimes TT's can be so frustrating. No improvement tonight of my current best (2:13.432) from Monday. Had a 13.1 nullified by a penalty in the final chicane, overdrove the final chicane while I was ~.250 ahead of my best on another lap, and had an optimal time of 12.950. I'll say it again, if I could just put down ONE lap without a mistake...:ouch:

Last edited:
Sometimes TT's can be so frustrating. No improvement tonight of my current best (1:13.432) from Monday. Had a 13.1 nullified by a penalty in the final chicane, overdrove the final chicane while I was ~.250 ahead of my best on another lap, and had an optimal time of 12.950. I'll say it again, if I could just put down ONE lap without a mistake...:ouch:
Are you sure you're on the same time trial? :scared:
Down to a 1:13.432, optimal 1:13.0. I butchered the final sector on my fast lap. :grumpy: If I can string together just one strong lap with no mistakes, I might be able to run a sub 13. Maybe.

Somehow i've managed to sneak into the gold zone with a 2:14.228, the sad part is a couple of laps later i was over 1 second ahead and totally messed up the last S turn,optimal is 2:13.3.
I see I.Fraga is somewhere very cold on an ice track,hope he stays there and no where near his computer for the next week because it wouldn't take much to knock me out of the gold zone.

:dopey:

Beauty of these time trials is everyone drives the same car on the same tyres on the same track, so in that sense it doesn't really matter what those things are. I prefer that the time trial feels unique and they aren't all just a standard time trial in a gr.3 or 4 car around a track they've used a lot before. While I don't particularly like the track and think it's dumb they're using NGP again so soon, I have to give credit to PD for almost always providing a unique driving experience. It's certainly a different drive this time around compared to last time.

Overall it was a good challenge. Took me a few sessions to get a gold time, then another session to get into the 13s. Optimal low 13s, but would take me longer than I want to spend on this to push the time down. Was planning to try on controller too to see if I'm still faster that way, but can't be bothered. Takes a lot to maintain control while on the perfect line with speeds right at the limit for a whole lap, and small imperfections seem to compound so quickly. Fluked several sectors and did them several tenths faster than my normal best, without really knowing how. No clue how people get into the 11s and below, even after watching replays and guides.

Been chasing the top ghost for 45 minutes tonight. I'm down a car length and half before the first corner every time haha. Spend the rest of the lap like "damn that guys fast". Really is a monster of a lap. Quite enjoying the combo. Down to a 2:12.5xx now. Just outside top 400.
Since you are on 2:12:5xx I guess I should not be the one giving advices, since I am on 2:13:8xx but since you write that you are behind ghost a car and half by the first turn I can share how I am on pair with the top ghost by the first turn. If I take the green line when starting (that is the top view of corner just before start line) I am on pair with top ghost on first corner down the straight, hairpin. try if you want and tell us if you are on pair with ghost on first hairpin.

Attachments

• TTstart.jpg
    TTstart.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Since you are on 2:12:5xx I guess I should not be the one giving advices, since I am on 2:13:8xx but since you write that you are behind ghost a car and half by the first turn I can share how I am on pair with the top ghost by the first turn. If I take the green line when starting (that is the top view of corner just before start line) I am on pair with top ghost on first corner down the straight, hairpin. try if you want and tell us if you are on pair with ghost on first hairpin.
I'll take any advice, it can all be helpful! So does this mean you sacrifice a lap to get a better speed down the straight?

I'll take any advice, it can all be helpful! So does this mean you sacrifice a lap to get a better speed down the straight?
If I see Delta time is already Plus half a second or more then yes I sacrifice it since i see it won't be good one, but if I have a chance to improve time, then I don't 😊

This is so weird, I had 3 sessions on this one and ended @2:13.919
Then I decided to do a quick try and did about 4 laps, restarted again but the focus was kind if gone.

Decided to continue and finish the lap, I think 50% of all apexes were not there, misbraked even on the first corner.
Stuffed up the last corner before the backstraight, stuffed up the chicane and drifted out of the last corner.....

This was a realy bad lap 1😭😭

Then looked at the time and started laughing...... I went from '13.919 to 13.708 🤣

A mild improvement tonight. 2:13.323. Optimal lap 2:12.909. sigh I set the time on the first lap of my final attempt. The first sector and Schumacher Esses were where I evidently lost out the most, because I would gain a ton of time in both of those areas every lap after. Unfortunately, I could never quite put together the rest of the lap to hit that optimal time.

Fun fact: My first two laps of the night were identical down to the thousandth.

Played around with some aids, kind of funny to see the difference it does on some cars, normally I drive without all exept ABS, altho the interlagos R35 GTR is was quicker with counter steering on.
On the Cayman it def doesn't help me, but ASM did help me in the first sector here, so I'm now on DS4 with sensitivity on 10 and ASM on and pushed out a decent 02:13.340
And there is def still alot of room for improvement 😁

A quick question to all - does TCS have an advantage here or a disadvantage? It feel TCS is useful coming out of the slow corners in Sector 1 but having less TCS is advantageous in sectors 2 & 3 for more acceleration.

A quick question to all - does TCS have an advantage here or a disadvantage? It feel TCS is useful coming out of the slow corners in Sector 1 but having less TCS is advantageous in sectors 2 & 3 for more acceleration.
Disadvantage, controlled sliding is how you make a road car go fast.
Stopping you from sliding altogether is going to bleed a few seconds of potential easily.

I loaded the ghost of a Spanish player who's placed 9th in the ranking. I was shocked to see that player go completely outside of turn 4 (after turns 2 & 3 which are slow) & that helped him gain a good 1 second there itself.
I thought that portion wasn't considered off track limits so when I went over it I got a penalty.
This had my head scratching as well as felt still the top players in ranking cheat??????

Well I'm finding this tough,cant string a lap together,I'm on 2.14.8xx I just cannot better this., I will give it another go before it finishes,but a, not hopeful ha.
Any tips on driving this without sliding all over?
What helpen me alot is to slower release the brakes, so you can can gentle rotating to the apex, keep the car far more from sliding than abrupt.

I am alot slower with TCS on, plus I find it annoying to not have power when I want it, so indeed controlled slides are key here.

So easy on the brakes and easy on the throttle, plus ( it sounds corney i know ) use the whole track to get that exitspeed, you can use alot more track than i thought in the beginning

20970187126906387.jpg

Same with the last corner before the straight that leads to the chicane, you can run fairly wide there.
As long as you are not completely in the dirt you're fine

20970456978523588.jpg

02:13.340 but with one flawless lap "12 are very doable, we will see

Last edited:
Back