Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,461 comments
Finally got some time last night to try the SF @ Autopolis Time Trial. Last time when Super Formula was in the Time Trials, at Fuji, I was a tenth away from gold time, and simply couldn't find it. Reluctantly accepted silver.

I was determined to get my revenge on the Super Formula this time, and decided I simply wouldn't get up from the wheel until I had what I believe to be a safe gold time.

400km later, I managed to stitch together a 1:23.965, which I believe should stick for gold until the end, was ca. #2100 in the world last night.

I drive in VR, and I found it very helpful to turn off all the HUD and just focus on my lines, instead of having some split times distracting me over the course of the lap. I could still see the lap time at the end on the steering wheel of the car, and that's all I needed. Lap video below :).

That looks incredible in VR.

Or are some of you doing two at the same time? No dialling in and out? Giving up one or the other?
Personally I would jump on to each one as they appear, quick 2 or 3 laps to see how far off I am without 'dialling in' just to give myself a target. Then I'll dial in on the TT which is expiring first.

This Autopolis one was an oddity because I got addicted to it and totally blew my expectations out of the water 🤣 I'd never driven the '23 Super Formula before but I found it much more stable than the older model.

I think going forward the TTs would benefit most from having the parallel challenges when one of them is a tuning affair. You could race one, and use the first week to find and/or fine-tune your setup for the other.

@amnesiactical you just reminded me how much I miss the cone markers from GT Sport!

Last edited:
Just tried SF23 at Autopolis. Dude. What a deathtrap this combination is... I see this easily being one of my worst ones so far. Tried it now because as far as I’m concerned this one begins now, once TT27 N24h ended. Seven days... [irony]great[/irony]. Thanks, folks who asked for this and PD who listened.

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Or are some of you doing two at the same time? No dialling in and out? Giving up one or the other?
Who could possibly want more content with big payouts? You're killin me, Smalls. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can bounce back and forth; it's not that hard. Just like going from a Daily A to a Daily C and back to A. PD gave the best of both worlds; they gave use twice the amount of TTs (again, with BIG PAYOUTS!) while not reducing the time requirement of either one. Great addition.

That's a pretty big assumption to make - there are many controller users in this thread who seem to do pretty awesome without a wheel - I'm not one of them lol. I think @Grimm6Jack might change your mind on the topic lol
Yes. I've got gold in Road Atlanta - Red Bull x2019 and the Nurb/Nord - NSX TT's with a broken hand and a big fat cast with a controller. Need to be smooth with your inputs, and ultimately get to know the track - know your braking/acceleration points. watch the best of the best and try to emulate them the best you can.

I feel like you forget not everyone takes the TT's as seriously and diehard as you do. I just do them part for fun/money and part for leaderboard competition. Most people are evidently in a similar boat, based on the widespread praise PD got for having 2 run alternatively now. 7 days is more than enough time to at least push for the medal goal you want, which is the only actual in-game incentive.

I feel like it's unfair to moan and talk down on the people that wanted more achievable credits and more variety in online competition within the game (as we got with an extra Time Trial) - simply because it gives you less time to pursue the specific and strict goals that you choose to impose on yourself.
Widespread praise. You use lingo to make it seem like it was 90% for and 10% against, which it wasn’t. For is in somewhat of a majority, sure, but let’s not exaggerate. I also feel like you’re forgetting the original TT spirit so to speak, to challenge yourself and do the very best you can.

That said, don’t misunderstand me, I fully appreciate people are different and some will happily settle for an okay lap, something absolutely decent but still below one’s actual capabilities, whatever they may be. And I appreciate the medal statistics along with the credit awards as much as anyone else, I think they’re excellent. Some of the best stuff Polyphony has done with GT7. But as I said, that’s not all it’s about.
Who could possibly want more content with big payouts? You're killin me, Smalls. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can bounce back and forth; it's not that hard. Just like going from a Daily A to a Daily C and back to A. PD gave the best of both worlds; they gave use twice the amount of TTs (again, with BIG PAYOUTS!) while not reducing the time requirement of either one. Great addition.
How you manage to twist that into me wanting less credits is... creative. But okay. Check the signature I’ve had for an eternity (also have put together Sport mode credit statistics and asked for more in several posts).

Theoretical example since we’re on this debate again then, if it was one TT for 14 days, paying 4,000,000 for gold, would you choose that or two concurrent ones essentially with seven days, paying 2,000,000? Same rewards overall, different time set ups.

Bronzed Willow Sping with the "Fugu" at my firsts attemps. Very similar race than the GT 51 in Grand Valley.
With some practice and tens laps later, I'm at +/- 2 secs from gold.
I'll watch the videos shared here - thanks guys, you rock - and try to gain few more hundreds till the Graal.
+/- means the gold time set “+ 2-secs” and also “- 2-secs” - unless your lap time is like Schrödinger's box, and it’s both 2 seconds faster and 2 seconds slower until you finally check the time 😂

How you manage to twist that into me wanting less credits is... creative. But okay. Check the signature I’ve had for an eternity (also have put together Sport mode credit statistics and asked for more in several posts).

Theoretical example since we’re on this debate again then, if it was one TT for 14 days, paying 4,000,000 for gold, would you choose that or two concurrent ones essentially with seven days, paying 2,000,000? Same rewards overall, different time set ups.
I didn't twist anything. No one wants less credits, but your preferred way of the TT system offers less credits. That is a fact. You seem upset of the new format. That's fine and that's your opinion. What's not an opinion is two months ago, one's max payout on the TT front was 2 mil credits in two weeks. Today, it's 2 mil credits per week... thus the rewards have doubled. I, for one, love it as the TT is my main source of income in this game and it's a lot of credits to boot.

Of your choices in the theoretical example, I'd pick he latter. I've said it before, of the two choices I'd prefer one TT per week at 1 mil credits vs one TT every two weeks for 2 mil credits as ultimately the payout per week is the same but there is more content to be done within the game. Even if they ran concurrent that wouldn't bother me. But it's a moot point as PD has done us one better: gave us two TTs, that last two weeks each, and are still worth 2 mil credits each. It's the best of three worlds.

I know you're out there chasing hundredths, and you still can. The fact they overlap seems like a bummer to you and, again, that's your opinion. Everyone is in the same boat; no one gets more time with these than anyone else. You just now get to (have to?) chose where you spend the time and go from there... with the bonus of having twice the content and twice the money as a result. "Raise the credit award in Sport Mode...!" PD just gave us a way to make a ton of extra credits in Sport Mode and I think they deserve praise for it.

Last edited:
Another fan of the 2 time trials here. Concentrate on the one that is expiring first, but use the second for some variety.
This works well with my approach - try the new time trial on my alt when it comes out - just to take a look and for some variety. See how I do and set my expectations/goal. If I can make it into Bronze on this go, the signs are positive.
The next day I watch the lap guides and load up a ghost and give it a go again. Hopefully I make a safe Silver (or a time that is good enough to replicate with my main - so that I don't look completely rubbish on my friends ranking board). For the rest of the week I will do enough laps to earn the daily reward on the second time trial and hopefully get into gold or edge closer to it. At the very least I aim to learn where I am really losing time or do not understand the track.

I have been struggling to make progress on Autopolis - I should have posted a 1.24.8 yesterday but lost at least 2/10ths on the final 2 corners and posted my best to date 1.25.0xy. But at least it was a .5 second improvement. I have switched to bonnet view (from cockpit) which gives me better judgement of the apexes. However, for some reason I cannot nail the long sweeping left hander in this view but can in cockpit view. As they say "the floggings will continue until morale improves".

I enjoy the challenge of the TT's - and also find they do improve my "not the best" driving skills.

Last edited:
Really curious to see how this one squares up difficulty wise in the statistics. Track is an absolute enigma to drive around, I've done a fair few laps, down into a 16.5 - and I still don't actually know how to take the corners properly.

..unless this is "properly"

Kc75dpP.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon this is much more difficult than the Olympic or N24 time trials for controller players. You cannot drive the car in the same way as players using a wheel. It's like playing a different game. I'm lol'ing at what the ghost cars can do.
That's a pretty big assumption to make - there are many controller users in this thread who seem to do pretty awesome without a wheel - I'm not one of them lol. I think @Grimm6Jack might change your mind on the topic lol
Wheels will always be the benchmark. But Gran Turismo manages to make the controllers pretty damn competitive.

When it comes to the .1% or less of players, basically, the aliens, you are not going to match them with a controller, forget about it. But any less than that, controller users can compete with general top-tier wheel users.

The difference is going to be more noticeable with cars at both ends of the spectrum, the really fast cars and the slow cars that take some getting used to and are very twitchy.

Regardless, the Olympic ESports TT with the GR010 is statistically the hardest to get gold by a considerable margin, it's the only one with less than 1% gold times and it's also the one with the most participants which makes it the most accurate sample:

Hardest TTs to gold by %:

TT.jpg

MY personal hardest was actually the Red Bull X2019 at Road Atlanta... However, this was because back then, the DualSense settings were completely messed up, and the DS4 for some reason was considerably faster than it. This was patched in the update right after though.

The NSX at Nurburgring was hard for lots of reasons... One of which, was Tuning. So you were basically not on equal footing with other players, plus the car was the NSX... Which while a very good drive, it was still a handful and of course... At the Nurburgring with over 170 corners to gain/lose time on.

The Theoretical hardest TT would be something like the Tomahawk X at the Nurburgring. Pray it never comes.
I do one every week as well, usually on a weekend day.

I however stopped trying my hardest for a while now, aside from the really hard ones where I have to actually put some effort to get gold.
If I do like the TT combo, I tend to go the extra mile as well, but still not super into it.

These days I only go for a lap that guarantees me gold by the end of the TT.

I dislike any form of Willow, plus, on a car that doesn't interest me, so I definitely won't sink much time on this one. Unless it turns out to be extremely hard, which I doubt it.

Wheels will always be the benchmark. But Gran Turismo manages to make the controllers pretty damn competitive.

When it comes to the .1% or less of players, basically, the aliens, you are not going to match them with a controller, forget about it. But any less than that, controller users can compete with general top-tier wheel users.

The difference is going to be more noticeable with cars at both ends of the spectrum, the really fast cars and the slow cars that take some getting used to and are very twitchy.

Regardless, the Olympic ESports TT with the GR010 is statistically the hardest to get gold by a considerable margin, it's the only one with less than 1% gold times and it's also the one with the most participants which makes it the most accurate sample:

Hardest TTs to gold by %:

View attachment 1259867

MY personal hardest was actually the Red Bull X2019 at Road Atlanta... However, this was because back then, the DualSense settings were completely messed up, and the DS4 for some reason was considerably faster than it. This was patched in the update right after though.

The NSX at Nurburgring was hard for lots of reasons... One of which, was Tuning. So you were basically not on equal footing with other players, plus the car was the NSX... Which while a very good drive, it was still a handful and of course... At the Nurburgring with over 170 corners to gain/lose time on.

The Theoretical hardest TT would be something like the Tomahawk X at the Nurburgring. Pray it never comes.

I do one every week as well, usually on a weekend day.

I however stopped trying my hardest for a while now, aside from the really hard ones where I have to actually put some effort to get gold.
If I do like the TT combo, I tend to go the extra mile as well, but still not super into it.

These days I only go for a lap that guarantees me gold by the end of the TT.

I dislike any form of Willow, plus, on a car that doesn't interest me, so I definitely won't sink much time on this one. Unless it turns out to be extremely hard, which I doubt it.
Wasn’t the Tomahawk X VGT at Nordschleife one of the TTs in GTS?

I got gold in all but the Olympics (still less than 3%) and the Senna TT (Gallo got crazy on the last day and I finished at 3.01%). The hardest TT was definitely the NSX at Nordschleife (tuning and oversteer) but the SF19 at Fuji (damn last sector) and X2019 at Road Atlanta (grass and short-shifts) were quite tough and had me relearn some driving basics 😅

Unlike you, I’ve loved all things Willow ever since I diamonded the Lewis TT in GTS. I got my only Top 100 (P74) in the Escudo on Big Willow.

Last edited:
I have no understanding of the SF23. One second it feels like like I'm riding on rails. The next, the back end is suddenly snapping around and I'm desperately trying save it. I picked up a miniscule .068 yesterday, to 1:23.761. I couldn't even get under 1:24 today. The most annoying part of today's adventure was being up over .4 seconds on my best and somehow spinning in the final corner while in FOURTH gear! How is that even possible? Anyway, I'm roughly half a second ahead of gold at the moment. If I can't find any more time and see that the time will hold, I reckon I may move on to the Greddy Fugu Z here soon.

Of course, I'm not particularly a fan of any of the Willow Springs layouts. It could use some foliage. The barren land of sand and dirt makes for incredibly uninteresting surroundings for me. Just give me something green! Even just some grass would make it look less bleh and more fun to drive around.

I didn't even know that Streets of Willow had a reverse layout.
I have no understanding of the SF23. One second it feels like like I'm riding on rails. The next, the back end is suddenly snapping around and I'm desperately trying save it. I picked up a miniscule .068 yesterday, to 1:23.761. I couldn't even get under 1:24 today. The most annoying part of today's adventure was being up over .4 seconds on my best and somehow spinning in the final corner while in FOURTH gear! How is that even possible? Anyway, I'm roughly half a second ahead of gold at the moment. If I can't find any more time and see that the time will hold, I reckon I may move on to the Greddy Fugu Z here soon.
The biggest problem with the Super Formula is how quickly it loses grip when you overstep the mark a little. If you aren't paying attention you'll be off in an instant. The trick is finding that perfect balance through each corner to maximise apex speed. Such a temperamental machine requires accurate control on the absolute ragged edge; something that's hard to achieve for most.

Last edited:

Of course, I'm not particularly a fan of any of the Willow Springs layouts. It could use some foliage. The barren land of sand and dirt makes for incredibly uninteresting surroundings for me. Just give me something green! Even just some grass would make it look less bleh and more fun to drive around.
I have exactly the same, it just seems to feel different on different stints, and it should be placebo but it seems to be gripping better after a few laps, what should not be the case .... prob just me,

I tried this morning to get sub 24 but there are 2 problems here, one.....the DS4 .....but the biggest problems are the 2 new kittens I have running around since yesterday....... 🤣🤣, did make it to 24.131 🤣

Guys, how many of you would like 3 TTs at same time, 3 weeks time for each? Every Thursday new one starts and as a suggestion one can be difficult as example like Nordschleife, second medium difficulty, and third one one not so difficult.

Hit the like button if you like the idea or laugh button if you don't like it.

(Not that I will show the results of your reactions to Kaz and make it happen, but just out of curiosity 😊 )

Guys, how many of you would like 3 TTs at same time, 3 weeks time for each? Every Thursday new one starts and as a suggestion one can be difficult as example like Nordschleife, second medium difficulty, and third one one not so difficult.

(Not that I will show the results of your reactions to Kaz and make it happen, but just out of curiosity 😊 )
I would prefer a specific ranking for users with a steering wheel and one for users who play with the controller. It would be more fair.

As for controller vs. Wheel topic....

I am also one of controller guys with gold for every time trial so far... Until March 2023 I played PS4 + DS4 (road atlanta, suzuka, nurburgring nsx) nowadays I play PS5 + DS5 (new nurburgring Gr.3, olympic trial) so both are viable options.

Usually I set decent time first day of time trial that I think will be enough for gold and leave it at that.... This time I tried to push Willow little bit more and I drove probably like 240km, I did 1:15:884 not the most optimal time for sure but I don't enjoy grinding 14 days for marginal gains.

Last edited:

I believe the problem would be that it's the aliens that determine how difficult it is for non-aliens to achieve the higher awards.

I'm happy with the 2 time trials currently. I typically will focus on one at a time until I'm satisfied with my lap or have completed a safe gold time. I still have other activities in the game I'm trying to do, so I don't end up only doing the TT's.

1 was too few, and waiting 2 weeks for a 2 million credit payout felt slow. I'm sure a lot of players would have enjoyed break from catapulting a Radical off sausages.

Back