Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,371 comments
Ditch the auto.
It might be a steep learning curve at first, but trust me its well worth it.
You will have so much more control of the car.
You wont need to rely only on the brakes to slow you down, you will have full control of slowing down using brakes + gear down.
True. Real talk. I can only echo this sentiment once again.

No offense but doing laps after laps and spending a lot of time on the time trials but at the same time being unwilling to switch to manual doesn’t make that much sense (unless you has some kind of physical issue hindering you from doing it).

Going up a gear and down is as natural as some accelerator and brake input. Not if you’ve never done it before but give it a little time and it will feel just as natural to you. If you can put these hours into driving around, doing laps in search of whatever time you’re looking for, surely you can assist yourself in that quest by ditching automatic. By not doing it, you’re doing yourself a disservice.

Taking myself as an example, I was an okay driver before but when GT Sport came out in 2017 and I realised there’d be a lot of online racing where my skills needed to improve I simply took the decision to switch to manual and forced myself to learn how to use it. In order to stand a decent chance it was necessary. Now 71 golds, 27 top 100’s and a best TT position of 12th in the world. Had I not made that switch in 2017 this improvement would never have taken place.

Looking back now, I can’t possibly imagine throwing away all the control of the car (and in return, possibility of balance, speed, etc) that manual is giving me. Automatic is a hindrance.

Last edited:
Finally

Image (15).jpeg

Image-1 (10).jpeg

To the aliens - the Lancer is great fun. Just play with that for the next few days and leave the Ford in the garage. Thanks.

I am absolutely living out my Fast and Furious fantasies with the Evo. I love this TT so so so so much!

It makes a lot of sense for the actual game that GT is. Take a hot road car with decent handling and almost the right type of tires/grip level and let us go wild.

Its not quirky, its not a race car and its on a track we can all pretty much get around.

Just a really nice track day (timed track day 😉 which is obviously not allowed). I don't think I can remember a better TT that fits the spirit of the game.

Finally, a significant Evolution :sly: with the Mitsub' on RBR.

By significant, I mean not few hundredths but almost 0.250... But it was painful, unpleasant, and now I feel like a relief from being done with this TT.

I'll probably be over the 10.000th place at the end and I'm ok with that. If I take a look positivelly, it's still my first gold reward on this circuit (silver with the Valkirie and the GT-R) and I'm less than 3 secs from the WR. Not so bad for an AT driver, no?

After many laps in red, many laps with horrible scores, many painful laps, I've finally scored at 1:47.683

1709392747560.png

This lap has nothing valuable, so I didn't saved the replay (sorry).

My only regret is to be +0.250 sec from good friends drivers like @skydragon49 and #Niki King Rat but as said the great philosopher Harry Callahan "Wise is the man who knows his limits".

1709393402253.png

Have fun in Austria, guys :)

@Pesselles Bravo for your time my friend. You finally got there !!! Congratulations :bowdown::bowdown:
As for me, I approached my best lap of 1'46'252, with a time of 1'46'3xx but impossible to beat it. Yet I tried again and again, took breaks with strong coffee,
Ku2.gif

but when it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
And yet my optimal time of 1'45'769 I never saw again !!! I'm still very happy with my 608th place and I still have 11 days left to improve it. As for Grand Valley, I'm not touching it anymore knowing that for the moment I'm beating my record for places at 481st. Hoping of course that no one gets too excited !!! 🤣🤣🙏🙏
I wish you all a good weekend :cheers:

Last edited:
@Pesselles Bravo for your time my friend. You finally got there !!! Congratulations :bowdown::bowdown:
As for me, I approached my best lap of 1'46'252, with a time of 1'46'3xx but impossible to beat it. Yet I tried again and again, took breaks with strong coffee,
View attachment 1333329
And yet my optimal time of 1'45'769 I never saw again !!! I'm still very happy with my 608th place and I still have 11 days left to improve it. As for Grand Valley, I'm not touching it anymore knowing that for the moment I'm beating my record for places at 481st. Hoping of course that no one gets too excited !!! 🤣🤣🙏🙏
Thanks a lot my friend, and congrats for your insane scores and rankings!!! Vraiment BRAVO!!
Seems you've raise up again your skills, right?
Next step is the abduction...👽

I totally subscribe your point of view. I'm not masochist but edonist. GT7 is just a game (as a reminder) and playing mustn't be a pain but only a moment of relax and fun. If you reach your limits, if the game isn't fun anymore, it's stupid to insist again and again.

View attachment 1333329
That's enough out of you anyway. 😂🔥

Finally, a significant Evolution :sly: with the Mitsub' on RBR.

By significant, I mean not few hundredths but almost 0.250... But it was painful, unpleasant, and now I feel like a relief from being done with this TT.

I'll probably be over the 10.000th place at the end and I'm ok with that. If I take a look positivelly, it's still my first gold reward on this circuit (silver with the Valkirie and the GT-R) and I'm less than 3 secs from the WR. Not so bad for an AT driver, no?

After many laps in red, many laps with horrible scores, many painful laps, I've finally scored at 1:47.683

View attachment 1333301

This lap has nothing valuable, so I didn't saved the replay (sorry).

My only regret is to be +0.250 sec from good friends drivers like @skydragon49 and #Niki King Rat but as said the great philosopher Harry Callahan "Wise is the man who knows his limits".

View attachment 1333312

Have fun in Austria, guys :)
Congratz on your improvement, I knew it was coming!

If I may say, 0.4 within gold it is a safe gold. So, the pressure is off. Relax and stay cool while on track and more time will come.

Don't stop hot lapping!

Bonjour,
the Ford at Grand Valley wasn't that easy for me as everyone else said. It looked like another silver untill I accepted the help of a friend. Merci beaucoup @Pesselles ! You're a true friend as you drove with me for 26 laps untill I finally managed to get a sub-1:20. This is a great step forward and almost 2 seconds faster than before!

It was fun as long as we had similar speed and it is still great as you improve impressively! AT or not, you are seriously fast and still getting faster. Congrats and thank you!

P.S.: Don't expect mercy at the next "Clash of Titans" anyway... 😉

Hi,

Frustrated and annoyed of Lancashire here!

I have spent a small fortune on my set up here. Load cell pedals. DD+. Clubsport RS wheel. QR2 pro. Profile rig. Having spent all the moolah, I am actually slower!

To qualify that...

I did some bench mark laps before I changed over to the new kit. On several of these tracks I do seem to be quicker. On others, I am a little slower. This, I think, is part of the adjustment process. The amount of "extra" feel being transmitted to my hands is amazing.

Please tell me this is normal and it will all settle in nicely.... Soon! 😳

Currently just 8/1000ths of a gold at the Red Bull Ring.

Best regards to all here.

Off to pour myself a large Gin and Tonic!!!

Ian.

So having just done this with auto, I feel auto users get short changed.

Gold is relatively simple but my god the auto box is horrendous on this. The drive train push is massive.

When I say this is simple I mean with a manual box, the auto requires some "nursing" to get it to behave. I'd imagine this is actually tricky on a controller with all the sliding as well just bleeding off the speed.

Hi,

I have spent a small fortune on my set up here. Load cell pedals. DD+. Clubsport RS wheel. QR2 pro. Profile rig. Having spent all the moolah, I am actually slower!

To qualify that...

I did some bench mark laps before I changed over to the new kit. On several of these tracks I do seem to be quicker. On others, I am a little slower. This, I think, is part of the adjustment process. The amount of "extra" feel being transmitted to my hands is amazing.

Ian.
Cross posted mods - sorry.

This is normal, just dial in to your set up and watch some replays. You won't go as fast as they do but gear selection and coasting is your friend on these (ignore the brake markers and just brake before the ghost does ;) )

Hi,

To qualify that...

Ian.
Hej Ian,
sounds like a good setup. If this is your first wheel take your time. For me it was more fun with the wheel even when I was slower than with the pad. Keep driving and you will improve massively. You will do it!

Bonjour,
the Ford at Grand Valley wasn't that easy for me as everyone else said. It looked like another silver untill I accepted the help of a friend. Merci beaucoup @Pesselles ! You're a true friend as you drove with me for 26 laps untill I finally managed to get a sub-1:20. This is a great step forward and almost 2 seconds faster than before!

It was fun as long as we had similar speed and it is still great as you improve impressively! AT or not, you are seriously fast and still getting faster. Congrats and thank you!

P.S.: Don't expect mercy at the next "Clash of Titans" anyway... 😉
Wow, that's really FANTASTIC!!! So happy for you!!!! And I can easily imagine your happiness for this great acheivement. And don't fool us, YOU did the all job.

I'm much more happy for you being in yellow territory (no matter who helped you) than flattered by your adorable message.

In fact, I had so much fun with Road Runner on Grand Valley that I've improved my PB so many times. And very honestly, I couldn't imagined that one day, someone could gain almost 2 secs (and 1 million more) thanks to my ghost. Incredible :eek:

Freut mich!

P.S: Naaaa I don't expect anything but the first place.... And if you're lucky, you'll possibly take the second place :D

Before few minutes I improved my time by almost 0,2s in Evo IX.
There were some mistakes, but I was going with some risk, otherwise no improvement...
1:47.608

View attachment 1333364

I made it strike back and pass over you on leaderboard @Pesselles :)

View attachment 1333365

Damned, how you dare :eek: ? This is unacceptable (but really fantastic ;) ).
Seem we had the same experience on that TT, right?

Anyway, you deserve some Champagne :sly: !!!

Margot Robbie Champagne GIF

Congratz on your improvement, I knew it was coming!

If I may say, 0.4 within gold it is a safe gold. So, the pressure is off. Relax and stay cool while on track and more time will come.

Don't stop hot lapping!
YEAH obrigado my friend :cheers:

I've secured my 14th gold reward. My initial objective is reached, now I can relax yes :)

But very honestly it was a painful experience (I mean not comfortable, not fun) and like with the Mercedes 190, I'm not especially proud or happy being in yellow. I did it, period.

I read your posts on the subject and decided not to try to improve my score with the Mitsub' but to spend more time learning how to drive in MT. I know it will be complex first but this will be much more beneficial to me in the future ;)

Still working on Grand Valley. I'm searching for tenths, but only finding hundredths for now. At least there are a few days left to find them.

Optimals suggest a 0.5 or 0.6 is possible and 0.4 if I managed a miracle lap.

18e009913e260-screenshotUrl.jpg
18e00993cfb48-screenshotUrl.jpg

I really want that Top 100 time.

Here is my best lap so far, I'm still having trouble but I am learning and growing every minute. I still am trying to figure out how to nail Turn 1, half the time I will run straight into the rail or either go in the sand. Anyone got any tips of where I'm losing time, I'm thinking most of my time is being eaten up at Sector 2 where the cliffs are.

However the Roadster is a comfortable car to drive, it just takes a while to grasp the concept on this track. It's a fun combo for this track. What gears should I have my car at for each turn, because I'm losing speed and agility in some areas.

Last edited:
Back