Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,390 comments
Sounds a logic and smart move, thanks Mr Muffin :)
I'll try and let you know how it goes.
It's frustrating. Don't try at all to be fast at first. Just try and get the shifting and general driving right. Race in some easy races in world circuits just to figure out the feel and don't get discouraged. Take breaks but don't give up! Give it a chance. My first gold was when I still was on controller and switched to manual... I can't imagine my story is the only one.

Last edited:
I personally use my index fingers to accelerate and break. R2 and L2.

Upshifts on X button and down on square. Upshifts I use the phalanx joint of my thumb. Downshifts I use the top of the thumb. The digital part, if that makes sense.

I tried once having the gears on R1 and L1 but I just couldn't break and downshift at the same time. The way I do as I said it feels like the tasks are always divided between left and right hands.

It's frustrating. Don't try at all to be fast at first. Just try and get the shifting and general driving right. Race in some easy races in world circuits just to figure out the feel and don't get discouraged. Take breaks but don't give up! Give it a chance. My first hike was when I still was on controller and switched to manual... I can't imagine my story is the only one.
Well, I agree your point of view but I wouldnt say it's frustrating because I've decided to play like this. It's just uncomfortable as long I didnt found the best way to hold the controller. Once again, scores are absolutly not the priority for now, it will come on the next step and I'm very confident to gain many tenths just because I drive on MT.

I've started by replay the National B licences, like a new GT7 player.
For the 5 first tests, I had gold after 2 or 3 attempts, and sometime, even faster than on AT... :lol:
OK, getting gold here means nothing because it's very basic, and because I've played those tests many times in AT for getting the best score possible. The point here was to drive in MT and to find a way to play as comfortable as possible.: the controller must be stable, it shouldn't hurt my hand, etc.

Once again for now, my only concern is the way I hold the paddle.
Thanks to your many helping answers, I'll try:
  • The Muffin method: gears shifting with index on R1/L1 and middle fingers for L2/R2.
  • The Skydragon method with the thumb on the X and square buttons.

I've also noticed the excellent advice about the Edge controller (added on my wish-list on a famous eCommerce website).

Hey folks - been a while since I’ve been on track or here (new job is kicking my behind), but managed to grab literally five laps last night and then a bit of time this morning to take the Lancer for a run, having missed the DTG event in the Mercedes completely and option to not run in the Ford Roadster.

15 laps in and I’m starting to enjoy this and get the hang of the car. Still 0.4 to close on my optimal splits but it’s early days so hopefully I’ll get another run on this soon - target is to get below 1:46. For now this will have to do
1709483480189.jpeg

Last edited:

Upshifts on X button and down on square. Upshifts I use the phalanx joint of my thumb. Downshifts I use the top of the thumb. The digital part, if that makes sense.

I tried once having the gears on R1 and L1 but I just couldn't break and downshift at the same time. The way I do as I said it feels like the tasks are always divided between left and right hands.
Yeah, i do it the same way. 😁

The index fingers are way more sensitive for smooth imputs than the middle fingers.
And you have way more grip on the pad with the long middle fingers. 👍

Well, I agree your point of view but I wouldnt say it's frustrating because I've decided to play like this. It's just uncomfortable as long I didnt found the best way to hold the controller. Once again, scores are absolutly not the priority for now, it will come on the next step and I'm very confident to gain many tenths just because I drive on MT.

I've started by replay the National B licences, like a new GT7 player.
For the 5 first tests, I had gold after 2 or 3 attempts, and sometime, even faster than on AT... :lol:
OK, getting gold here means nothing because it's very basic, and because I've played those tests many times in AT for getting the best score possible. The point here was to drive in MT and to find a way to play as comfortable as possible.: the controller must be stable, it shouldn't hurt my hand, etc.

Once again for now, my only concern is the way I hold the paddle.
Thanks to your many helping answers, I'll try:
  • The Muffin method: gears shifting with index on R1/L1 and middle fingers for L2/R2.
  • The Skydragon method with the thumb on the X and square buttons.

I've also noticed the excellent advice about the Edge controller (added on my wish-list on a famous eCommerce website).
Cheers to you. You are going to be wicked fast once you figure it out. You already are considering you use auto to this point. Any help you need just ask. I'll def do my best. This place has taught me so very much that I feel privileged to be able to understand enough to help others. Rooting for you.

Cheers to you. You are going to be wicked fast once you figure it out. You already are considering you use auto to this point. Any help you need just ask. I'll def do my best. This place has taught me so very much that I feel privileged to be able to understand enough to help others. Rooting for you.
Do I am so grateful? You have no evidence but possibly yes... :cheers: Sure, I'll not hesitate to ask for advices.

Seriously, all this community is just fabulous, no other word possible (even the aliens, the Brits and the German are friendly...).

To everyone one on this forum:

1709484742484.jpeg

Take this with a grain of salt from someone who never considered driving with a hand controller. Only ever did it once and that was just recently. It seems to me you could operate all 4 inputs, gas, brake, shift up & shift down with your index fingers. R2 for gas, R1 shift down, L2 for brake and L1 for shift up. With that you could use both index and middle finger for times when you wanted to brake and shift up or accel and down shift, although there's not much room on the triggers for both fingers on the standard PS5 controller. Steering with the right or left joystick. If I was to have to use a controller, that would be how I would set it.

Last edited:

Yeah, i do it the same way. 😁

The index fingers are way more sensitive for smooth imputs than the middle fingers.
And you have way more grip on the pad with the long middle fingers. 👍
Same for me.
Here is your problem. Try to get used to using the midde finger first for L2/R2 while in AT. Do it for a day or 2 to get your brain to rewire....then enable MT and use index finger to change gear with L1/R1. One step at a time :)
I'm using a DS4, so I don't know how it compares to a DS5, but I just put the controller in my hand with this positioning to see how it feels. Incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. It also changes how my thumb sits over the stick. That means I would have to relearn turning at that angle, as well. I might as well just hold the thing upside down! :lol:
It seems to me you could operate all 4 inputs, gas, brake, shift up & shift down with your index fingers. R2 for gas, R1 shift down, L2 for brake and L1 for shift up.
My brain would not be able to handle this. I would somehow end up in reverse by the time I got to the first corner. :P
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Always look at the bright side of life... here is my 4 ⭐ticket for today :lol::lol:

View attachment 1333706

Congrats for your insane scores on RBR!!!
Brutal. I hate getting random parts with tickets.

Something odd thing that happened to me last week. I received Ferrari invitations on back-to-back days. To be fair, I haven't bought two of the invitation cars, but why send me so many of these things? And it's a crappy reward when you think about it. PD: "Here ya go! We now give you permission to spend millions of YOUR OWN credits to acquire a couple of cars that should be available all the time anyway and not just whenever the hell we randomly feel like giving you a ticket. Enjoy!" :grumpy:

Brutal. I hate getting random parts with tickets.

Something odd thing that happened to me last week. I received Ferrari invitations on back-to-back days. To be fair, I haven't bought two of the invitation cars, but why send me so many of these things? And it's a crappy reward when you think about it. PD: "Here ya go! We now give you permission to spend millions of YOUR OWN credits to acquire a couple of cars that should be available all the time anyway and not just whenever the hell we randomly feel like giving you a ticket. Enjoy!" :grumpy:
I totally second your point of view about the tickets. Seriously, who use these parts? If I need parts for a car, I buy it.
To complete my car collection, I'm waiting since months (more than 6, for sure) a Citroen invitation. Instead of that, I receive crappy rewards, like many of us. It's not very complex to add a condition for the reward based on the credits of the player.
But I take it as it is: a game and nothing else.

There are many points in this game where the user experience is just a joke. Sorry if I'm a bit critic but PD is a very large studio, they have teams and budgets to think carefully on these essential points. They don't while some inde game creators are much more advanced.
(context: my wife works in the 3D industry and me, I'm in the Web sector. So, we are a bit aware about those topics.)

Get a load of that! I should have moved faster at Sectors 1-2 and I would have gotten inside the gold range. Lol, I like the sound of the motor, it cracks me up. I bought almost every single tuning modification there is, and as you can see it worked. Now I gotta find the magic charm and that's it, the gold is mine!! I'm not too far from you guys. I know it can be done using AT and real good driving and lots of practice.

I'm ranked 28,557th, I don't think I've ever been that low before not that I remember. So, this would be a fantastic accomplishment for me today or tomorrow. My percentage ratio is 3.57%. So I'm going for the bacon! I'm going for it. What have I got to lose?

Maybe this can happen for me in the Lancer Evo. TT, I hope. Like @luv2drive told me a week or two ago, it is definitely possible to get any gold time using a controller and AT depending on how skilled the person is.

So, that's all I have to say.

Last edited:
my 4* daily marathon ticket gave me Titanium con-rods and Pistons for the Toyota Crown Safety Car!! I mean, honestly, what the absolute **** 😂

Always look at the bright side of life... here is my 4 ⭐ticket for today :lol::lol:

View attachment 1333706
I feel your pain guys. Today I got a 6 star ticket that turned into a Ferrari Enzo. What a ****show, right? :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain guys. Today I got a 6 star ticket that turned into a Ferrari Enzo. What a ****show, right? :P
Can someone flag this offensive message to the admins, please? We mustn't accept such behaviour here :irked:

And I cancel what I said earlier the Germans are friendly. It's nothing but an urban legend!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how there is still a lot of difference in using the controller,

I have my index fingers on the L1+R1 for ****fing, and the middelvingers on the L2 an R2 for throttle and brake, feels natural to me.
Circle for toggle ghost on/off and X for DRS etc.

No further laps this day, was out fishing 😁

Get a load of that! I should have moved faster at Sectors 1-2 and I would have gotten inside the gold range. Lol, I like the sound of the motor, it cracks me up. I bought almost every single tuning modification there is, and as you can see it worked. Now I gotta find the magic charm and that's it, the gold is mine!! I'm not too far from you guys. I know it can be done using AT and real good driving and lots of practice.

I'm ranked 28,557th, I don't think I've ever been that low before not that I remember. So, this would be a fantastic accomplishment for me today or tomorrow. My percentage ratio is 3.57%. So I'm going for the bacon! I'm going for it. What have I got to lose?

Maybe this can happen for me in the Lancer Evo. TT, I hope. Like @luv2drive told me a week or two ago, it is definitely possible to get any gold time using a controller and AT depending on how skilled the person is.

So, that's all I have to say.

If you nail turn one, meaning get tighter and brake deeper, you'll be in gold or very very close. The rest of the lap is pretty clean. It's not the optimal line but it's a safe gold if you can get just a bit tighter

Check out my video above everyone, I'm still missing some time somewhere, where are you all gaining time? I'm clueless, :(
My advices, if I may:
  • upload a ghost you can follow (mine for example),
  • just try to follow the same line as the ghost, only that,
  • don't hesitate to brake a bit earlier but to throttle earlier too.

You're very close to gold, don't give up Chris :)
Your perseverance and your patience command respect!

Check out my video above everyone, I'm still missing some time somewhere, where are you all gaining time? I'm clueless, :(
Focus on turn 1, you can easily find all the time you need in this turn alone. Essentially, do exactly as @feral and bad suggested earlier: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/time-trial-discussion.409515/post-14208689

You are coming off the throttle way too early, and then you don't brake hard enough. You probably do this because you went into the left wall too often. But that's because you need to open the steering before you brake, so that you're braking in a straight line.

Last edited:
Started today making a livery for the Evo then went out for a bit.

Once back at home the first session today consisted of 3 laps with no ghosts and the hire car to save my oil.
Lap 1 - used Tidney's guide for turn 1 and the first hairpin as thwy are usually my biggest missed braking points at RBR
Lap 2 & 3 - getting used to the car and comfortably in silver just short of gold.

Switched to my Evo with the Norris Design livery and the on the first lap of the second session I hit gold comfortably but completely overshot T1 on the second lap, so without thinking I immediately went down the old route and clicked restart meaning I couldn't save the reply.

So onto session 3.
Lap 1 - was a blinder 1:46.517 but was invalidated as I got complacent on the last turn and cut it just a tiny bit too much 😭
The rest of the laps wer coming together, getting more used to the car and on lap 11 I hit my best clean lap but completely missed the apex of turn 6 and 7 so I kept going at it as I wasn't happy with that.
Managed a 1:46.6xx afterwords but it was an invalidated lap due to the lap before it 🤬 hate that stupid rule.

So my final gold for the day was 1:46.733 I really enjoyed this one and may well come back to it if I can get time to as I know I have much more to give on this (especially looking at that optimal of 1:46.145).

I have uploaded the replay if anyone wants a ghost that they can beat at T6 & 7 😂

18e05928d942-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437628235792707_1709485296065.jpg
18e0592e23445-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437628237594341_1709485303102.jpg
18e0593543f73-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437628239328523_1709485309877.jpg
18e059388e648-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437628241203938_1709485317202.jpg
18e05939c4898-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437628242575153_1709485322559.jpg
18e0593ac2e16-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437628244016642_1709485328190.jpg
4e6d9facd86741d11e6cc91302fb2d16_thumb_l_x2.jpg
18e0593eb2562-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437621513617116_1709459037566_edit_...jpg
small-evo9-side.jpg

In AT, I use the L2 (brakes) and R2 (throttle) buttons while my thumbs hold the controller in my hand.
If I release my right thumb to press X or square for upshift ot downshift, I do not hold the controller anymore and it's a mega panic :lol:
I've also tried to use R1 and L1 for upshift and downshift, it's worst... I know there are specific controllers adapted for MT but don't remember the name.
Me Too Samesies GIF

Back