Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,370 comments
53565806569_cb0dfeeb91_k.jpg

Back from my weekend in Germany, so i fired up the playstation to get the new TT cracking! It didn't click at first with only doing 1:49:xxx laps.. But as per usual it clicks and gold happens 😁

53565489511_7ebaeddd79_k.jpg

Still a lot more to go, a 1:46:xxx should definitely be possible but @crome you have to stop being so good, your time feels out of reach yet again 😅

Happy lapping everyone!

53565806569_cb0dfeeb91_k.jpg

Back from my weekend in Germany, so i fired up the playstation to get the new TT cracking! It didn't click at first with only doing 1:49:xxx laps.. But as per usual it clicks and gold happens 😁

53565489511_7ebaeddd79_k.jpg

Still a lot more to go, a 1:46:xxx should definitely be possible but @crome you have to stop being so good, your time feels out of reach yet again 😅

Happy lapping everyone!
I love that livery if that is yours!! Well I'm off to hunt for the gold at GV!

No new PB at Grand Valley, but take a look at this ...

18e05c54c6154-screenshotUrl~2.jpg

I'm so close now. And speaking of close, here's where I invalidated the lap.

18e05c5628b29-screenshotUrl.jpg

And speaking to consistency, @Pesselles two laps tying the session best :lol:

Maybe another session or two and I'll achieve the legitimate time. That particular invalidated lap would be rank 112 right now. My optimal from today would be 69 (giggidy).

No new PB at Grand Valley, but take a look at this ...

View attachment 1333804

I'm so close now. And speaking of close, here's where I invalidated the lap.

View attachment 1333805

And speaking to consistency, @Pesselles two laps tying the session best :lol:

Maybe another session or two and I'll achieve the legitimate time. That particular invalidated lap would be rank 112 right now. My optimal from today would be 69 (giggidy).
I'm jealous when I take a look at your time sectors... There are only few tenths of difference but it seems like another world to me.

RESPECT!

Whoa, I did it!! OMG, my third gold finally. I reached the pot of gold. I will still push to maybe get a high 1'19.000 time but hopefully the times will not change anymore. I pressed on the throttle full on in the tunnel, that's where some of my time was lost. I ran a total of 152 laps over the past day and a half. This was a really great TT and I enjoyed every bit of it, so off to RBR! I will come back to GV Tuesday or Wednesday, so all in a day's work!

Whoa, I did it!! OMG, my third gold finally. I reached the pot of gold. I will still push to maybe get a high 1'19.000 time but hopefully the times will not change anymore. I pressed on the throttle full on in the tunnel, that's where some of my time was lost. I ran a total of 152 laps over the past day and a half. This was a really great TT and I enjoyed every bit of it, so off to RBR! I will come back to GV Tuesday or Wednesday, so all in a day's work!

Great Job Reaction GIF

Congrats Chris, it's awesome and we are many to applause your fantastic acheivement!

Whoa, I did it!! OMG, my third gold finally. I reached the pot of gold. I will still push to maybe get a high 1'19.000 time but hopefully the times will not change anymore.
That's absolutely amazing Chris, the hard work and determination has paid off.

You nailed that final hairpin, really smooth entry and perfect timing onto the throttle, keep pushing 👍🏻

Also noticed that you took the same line as me on the straight leading to the hairpin 😁

Last edited:

Way to go! Congratulations mate!!!

Cheers!

Bravo Chris !!!!👏👏👏👏👏👏💪💪💪

Nah, you'll get there too in no-time, I'm sure. ;) As for me, it's true that the last couple of TTs came relatively easy to me. I can feel that I have improved over the last few months, and I'm happy about that of course. However, Mount Panorama taught me some humility and almost kicked my butt (let's not even talk about the Genesis VGT). So getting gold is still my number one priority, everything beyond that is a bonus.

I got time to do another TT session.... And I started a Red Bull livery for the Evo IX (it makes sense, right!? 😅)

Then the optimal laps the data's been showing me since yesterday became reality today.

I clocked a lap time of 1:46.903 (!!!!)

18e067dee387-0e321DC53D8D226824E.5AF533D2220C5786_message_437633446906025_1709505651976.jpg

20970933964571899.jpg

The livery does make you faster. It has been proved. 😅

*Best lap shared as usual.

Last edited:

Well done! :cheers:
I need some of your patience and perseverance!

OK I did another...I don't know...50 laps at RBR and got down to 1:48.222. Guess high silver is where I'll be sitting in these lol. I mean I'm consistently hitting mid-1:48s now after spending yesterday trying to break 1:49 so at least I'm improving but still...

I have no flippin idea how there's 3 or 4 more seconds being found out there!

Last edited:
Rounding out the weekend with a nice improvement at RBR.

1709509381392.png

Optimal is 1:45.976, which sounds enticing. To be honest, I'm surprised I'm doing this good here, I don't really feel that fast. In turns 5, 8 and 9 I am still very much in trial and error mode, sliding around wildly. It's great fun though. Have a nice week fellow time trialers!

OK I did another...I don't know...50 laps at RBR and got down to 1:48.222. Guess high silver is where I'll be sitting in these lol. I mean I'm consistently hitting mid-1:48s now after spending yesterday trying to break 1:49 so at least I'm improving but still...

I have no flippin idea how there's 3 or 4 more seconds being found out there!
Me neither, but luckily a few tenths is all you need ;) Maybe share a video to get some advice.

Same for me.

I'm using a DS4, so I don't know how it compares to a DS5, but I just put the controller in my hand with this positioning to see how it feels. Incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. It also changes how my thumb sits over the stick. That means I would have to relearn turning at that angle, as well. I might as well just hold the thing upside down! :lol:
heh....I've been holding the ps controller like that ever since PS1. I guess it comes natural for me :D

heh....I've been holding the ps controller like that ever since PS1. I guess it comes natural for me :D
Hey, did you hear about my gold lap. I posted the video at 3:22pm today. I'm gonna keep pushing though. I hope the aliens stopped there and moved on to RBR. So, I'll be waiting for my 2M paycheck Thursday. DS stands for DualSense, I believe, I use the DS4 as well.

Last edited:
L1/R1 for shifting is really tough to manage. Just a couple of the regular buttons for shifting works great...left hand handles steering and braking, right hand is throttle (index on trigger) and shifting (thumb on buttons). I always map stuff like "look back" and "change view" to the L1/R1 buttons...

Last edited:

Congrats Chris! I am glad you achieved Gold after all the effort you put in. Well deserved!

@Pesselles

If you want to use manual gears on a controller, I suggest using the L1 for up shift and R1 for down shift to reduce the amount of work each paw hand does. Using your left hand for steering, braking AND down shifting is too difficult.
L1/R1 for shifting is really tough to manage. Just a couple of the regular buttons for shifting works great...left hand handles steering and braking, right hand is throttle (index on trigger) and shifting (thumb on buttons). I always map stuff like "look back" and "change view" to the L1/R1 buttons...
@Pesselles here is what I posted some time ago in this thread, it is about the DS4 but I'm sure you could find similar for the Dual Sense without having to get the expensive Sony controller.

I use motion steering and the back buttons but as per what @ScottPuss20 says, I have the back buttons set opposite to triggers.

R2 - accelerate
Right button - downshift
L2 - brake
Left button - upshift

It makes it easier to trail brake as you use your right hand to down shift at the same time as using you left hand to brake, meaning you can keep the same pressure on the trigger without wiggling another finger.

Here's the posts anyway for some info 👍🏻

Bonus note: with motion steering you can use the force feedback adjustments, I have fiddled with these quite a lot and found this to be the best all round setting:

Force feedback Max Torque - 4
This is for when cornering hard

Force feedback sensitivity - 3
This is for driving in a straight line, keeping the car stable and making minor adjustments, this also affects turn in understeer

18e08332cab21-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437397921514285_1708585630915.jpg
18e0833438266-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437397923240529_1708585637658.jpg

Also my other settings
18e0832ee191-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437397916652295_1708585611923.jpg
18e0833064472-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437397919726985_1708585623933.jpg
18e08338d8690-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437397924949784_1708585644335.jpg

Last edited:
R2 - accelerate
Right button - downshift
L2 - brake
Left button - upshift

It makes it easier to trail brake as you use your right hand to down shift at the same time as using you left hand to brake, meaning you can keep the same pressure on the trigger without wiggling another finger.
View attachment 1333958
This set-up blows my mind. SO different to what I've got mapped out on mine! Granted, I'm not using motion steering, but my button layout is so different it's like night and day! Literally the ONLY button we've got mapped the same is the handbrake! (And the Share/Pause defaults).

I'm a weirdo who has pedal controls on the right stick and steering on the left stick, gear up/down R2/L2...

I keep thinking about changing my button setup to have pedal controls on R2/L2 - do you find trail braking is easy with this set-up? I can do it with my set-up but find throttle balancing can be pretty hit/miss when combined with trail braking due to the fact it's one or the other when using the joystick.

Back