Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 26,848 comments
I know what you mean. It always amazes me how someone like @Tidgney can not only set a time that is good enough for the top 10 in the first couple of hours of a new TT and produce a lap guide video for it, but he also does that while having to figure out the optimal lines, shifting and braking points by himself. I've gotten quite alright at replicating what someone else did, but that's just craft. What these guys do is art.
Appreciate the kind words. I have a very odd talent with racing, and even some of my alien team mates back in the day were always so confused is that I can see time. I'll improve and I'm like there's still time there, they are always like "What!?" then I do it a few laps later and then I say there's more time in x,y,z. Very hard to explain but the second I see there's an improvement I aim to get it.

I've got something planned in the future though that should hopefully help everyone with that but I've got to catch up on all the other stuff on my list first (Not videos)

Sticking to my late-Wednesday traditions in the Evo: red sighter lap with crap middle sector, red sighter lap 0.3s off gold, 1:47.224.

That'll do it :D Hopefully gold #11 - which would mean more golds than others for the first time (seven silver, two bronze, one literally nothing - either because I was running real slow to see how far down the times went and forgot to do a real lap, or because it was one I hated and forgot to void my lap).

I do like Le Mans, but I may well skip it because of the frustrating track limits and sucky car.

Haven't had any time this week and only managed to put half an hour into the Evo around Redbull Ring last night.
Disappointing that the time trial for a car I actually own (well 8MR is close enough to 9MR) is the one I don't get an opportunity to put as much effort into as normal.

Of course I had to use an Evo in Cool Silver the same as mine. Similar to real life, this car is thoroughly enjoyable to drive in game. I found that in game the rear end felt a bit looser than I've experienced, having said that I've never taken it to the track. I also found that you can feel AYC rotating the car a bit more mid corner in person than the game conveys.

In the 30 minute session I managed a 1:45.929 which places me 561st.

There is definitely way more time in that lap if I had more time to put into finding it. I still hadn't quite figured out all the braking points, specially for T2 and T3. There is at least a tenth in perfecting T1 as you lose so much time up the straight by not getting a good exit there. Also could've been using the engine braking a bit more but was still getting warmed up with the combination to focus on finding every last but of time.

Overall happy to get gold so quickly but it would've been nice to climb a bit further up the leaderboard here.

Well, I wasn't gonna do that RBR TT. The driver that won first prize Sunday in the league I run in picked that exact combo for next Sunday. So, I bought the car, slobbered some paint on it and ran a few laps off in the TT, expecting I might be able to squeak out a silver time. Strangely, I managed to eek out almost a half second into gold. Providing Jeddah doesn't push it down farther in the next 5 or so hours, that'll be a cool 2mil.

As far as the hardware discussion goes. It really comes down to what you enjoy.

I personally got my set up because I was pretty bored with the GT franchise after 6 on pad but I didn't have the means to afford a good rig and wheel back then.

Since getting my rig (Logitech PRO wheel and pedals, PSVR2), I look forward to hopping in the seat each day for an hour or two. It's the things that allow you to put in the time that leads you to improve your skills.

If you can do that with a pad, that's fantastic. And you saved a ton of money.
Same setup here. My Playseat sits behind my chair up against the wall in my office. I love the Logitech Pro (used to have G923) and love it! There's no going back from the immersive quality of VR with racing sims. It's life changing.
I want a good Rig so bad but I don't have the space for it which really sucks. We have a spare room under the roof but when it gets warmer I would burn to a crisp up there 🥵
When I first started with GT5 back in the day I tried racing for about 30 minutes with a controller (I was not/am not a gamer), and I had to get a wheel. I got a DF GT wheel, hooked it up to a TV tray, put the pedals on the floor, and sat on the couch racing. This kind of a setup takes no extra space whatsoever and IMHO is still better than a controller (although these days with the gyro tracking controllers, at least steering is somewhat reasonable)

I have put my first laps in le mans tt, managed to get 3 valid laps and pretty decent silver time. I will be satisfied if I manage to get this below 4:20 (and into gold zone). I feel that in a lot of places I can go faster / brake later. Gonna explore some more tonight.
18e3918095169-screenshotUrl.jpg

Why do they call it a Ferrari Dino? It's just a Dino. There isn't a single Ferrari badge on it.
''Dino (Italian: [ˈdiːno]) was a marque best known for mid-engined, rear-drive sports cars produced by Ferrari from 1957 to 1976. The marque came into existence in late 1956 with a front-engined Formula Two racer powered by a brand new Dino V6 engine. The name Dino was used for some models with engines smaller than 12 cylinders, it was an attempt by the company to offer a relatively low-cost sports car. The Ferrari name remained reserved for its premium V12 and flat-12 models until 1976, when "Dino" was retired in favour of full Ferrari branding''

Yeah!, this one i'm liking!.... and this is going to be a VERY close leaderboard in the end, just a few corners sliding that iconic Dino around, should be a easy gold for a lot of people, not the hardest imo.
I never race daily races so this layout is kind of new for me, ( prob did it somewhere along the way but memory.... yeah.... )
But did 5 laps this morning with to much squeeking tires and some lawnmowing... but like it!

Session at LeMans yesterday.
1710403174570.png

I did a lot of restart and in the last one I quit in the middle of a red lap, therefore the PB window did not appear, my brain farted and I didn't record the lap 😒

1710401498268.png

However I saw at some point in lap a 4.21.3x PB so I guess I can try to make my quest for the gold.

Anyway...
1710401643192.png

Esses: I had a good improvement approaching the first "turn", the one to be done quite flat before the real S, but I'm still struggling a bit in the left piece of the S. The ghost I follow is behing me at the braking point, but resume just before me after the S
The left hander before Tertre Rouge: iffy, I think I'm at the point where I may be going a little too slow compared to before where I was definetly going in there too fast
Tertre Rouge: hit or miss
Before the Playstation Chicane brake point I'm again in front of the ghost (which, btw, is set at the gold time)
Micheling and Mulsanne: I think I'm ok with them if I execute properly. If....
Indianapolis: can be better, I don't use all the track on the inside
Arnage: I can do it OK, it's just about rithm here. Sometime I have it, sometime I loose it and brake too much

If I do all good, not perfect, but just good, I'm still in front on the ghost here.

Than my pants start to get floaded....
I don't know the name of each curve, but the first one I can do it ok, the second also, by the third and the forth my pant are really in bad shape
The fifth (and last one) I suck

Ford chicane is ok

it's a little bit annoyng needing to spend 4 minutes to reach the piece of the track where I'd like to redo in loop to improve.

Final colour note:
I swear if I get to gold I'm going to take a ride just to take down these freaking cones one by one. You stupid s@#@##@ of #@@###@

1710403294452.png

''Dino (Italian: [ˈdiːno]) was a marque best known for mid-engined, rear-drive sports cars produced by Ferrari from 1957 to 1976. The marque came into existence in late 1956 with a front-engined Formula Two racer powered by a brand new Dino V6 engine. The name Dino was used for some models with engines smaller than 12 cylinders, it was an attempt by the company to offer a relatively low-cost sports car. The Ferrari name remained reserved for its premium V12 and flat-12 models until 1976, when "Dino" was retired in favour of full Ferrari branding''

and also

Alfredo Ferrari (nicknamed Alfredino or Dino; 19 January 1932[3] – 30 June 1956[4]) was an Italian automotive engineer and the first son of automaker Enzo Ferrari. He was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy,[5] and died aged 24.[6] After his death, Ferrari named the car fitted with the engine that Alfredo was working on at the time of his death "Dino" in his honour.[7]

The Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in Imola, Italy was originally named the "Autodromo Dino Ferrari" in Alfredo's honour,[20] with his father's name added after Enzo's death in 1988. The 1979 Dino Ferrari Grand Prix was held there on 16 September 1979.

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Ferrari)

My RBR lap from the first week did hold up in the end!, very pleased to reel in another top 100, ended up 90 overall
I think i could have gone lower with very nice optimals on the last session but i just can't push it 2 weeks, just to long and just loose my interest after a week of trying...
Still very cool to see that you can get a descent time in with a controller, on that level they did a darn good job.

18e3c0cfdef97-screenshotUrl.jpg

I did some laps this morning before work and managed a 1:05.963, enough for a gold just now, but I reckon it will be bumped to a silver.

Very short lap and good fun learning how to string the corners together, although I don't recall ever seeing this track before 😅

Last edited:
Er........

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Finished with bronze at RBR, despite the excellent help given by some posters (thanks) - just could not get past 5.07%

Done a few laps with the new one, and still a second away from bronze - that car is a spinner!
So our goal for this TT is getting you up there :-)
let's make it happen :) :) :)

btw.... RBR isn't the easiest track, there are some real fancy corners in that!

Back