Time Trial Mountain Board : every road car from the game tested [793 cars]

• Thread starter GT_Alex74
  • 204 comments
Update, not with cars, but with some Excel file tweaks.

First, the ease rating system. Giving such precise rates was not ideal and the exact figure for a specific car could vary according to my mood or various non-objective things. First, I wanted to rate the ease, but couldn't give a bad rate for fast cars, and then I think I shouldn't rate this car 10 because it is clearly not as easy as this one, but I rated this one 9 already and it's not as good... but it's more fun and blablabla... And for the moment, most cars are above 8,5 and I feel I have less margin to differentiate good cars.

So screw rates, there's the comment section anyway ! I swapped for a 1 to 5 stars system. In my mind, the progression through stars is not linear, as 3 stars don't represent a 5/10 rate, but more the average rate from the pack :

* : really difficult to handle. Doesn't mean it won't be fun, far from it, some of the most enjoyable cars in my opinion will fit through there, but you'll probably have to take a shower after trying to keep that facing the right direction.

** : the handling sports more cons than pros, that's generally the kind of car that you can keep on the road but doesn't want to go fast around corners.

*** : that's average, you won't find that particularly good nor particularly bad. Or it can be something potentially very fast, but difficult enough to handle so that beginners are more likely to stay at average cornering speeds.

**** : now we have something actually nice for racing, that allows you to keep a good rythm without worrying too much. It may be more difficult on its limits or have still a bit of over/under steer though.

***** : top class handling, goes very fast around corners and very easily, it will take a lot of abuse without betraying you. If the stars are golden, it's icing on the cake.

Now, second point about the Excel changes : I have developped a PP recalculation / cheated car indicator function. Got some thinking into that, some math, and some trial and errors, but I think I've put the finger onto something pretty nice now. I'm still experimenting though, so for the moment, I threw that in a third sheet : I'll try to integrate that to the full table when I'll be sure to be fully satisfied with it.

Here's how it works : I set up a time interval (I included that as a variable so I can change it easily, but +/- 1 second seems to work nice), and for each car, the function will look for all the entries that fits in that range around the currently studied car's time. Then, the average time and average PP are calculated and compared to the studied car's values : specifically, I calculate what percentage of the studied car's time the average represents, and take that as a multiplying factor to recalculate the new PPs. I added a slot to showcase the difference between new and old PPs, which can also be defined as a cheat indicator.

I only spotted one flaw with this method : the extreme values will be compared nearly exclusively to slower or faster cars. For example, the ZZ-II being at the moment at the very top of the board, there's no entries in the [0 / -1] seconds range. Though, it doesn't seem so bad at the moment, and I'll be able to correct that problem if necessary by tuning a few cars (power and weight only) or doing a few race cars and putting their results outside the board (the functions look for the whole columns regardless of tables). The bottom of the board can appear to be a bit more difficult to deal with, as time gaps are wider, and I can't really find slower things than the VW military vehicles. But I think it's much less problematic if the accuracy is a bit off for those cars, and as their times rely nearly only on top speed, having them not being compared to something else may not be that bad.

Also, keep in mind that the adjusted figures will update themselves each time a new entry will fit the range around a car, so they can be inaccurate until the testing is completed.

So, I'm updating first post accordingly.

I downloaded your excel file. I wish my blu-ray drive was working so I could attempt some of your times!

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with this. It's addicting huh? Once I started stock trials at Suzuka, I couldn't stop until I did nearly every car I could find. I love that you have a column for global gap and gap with previous. I need to learn how to do that.

I know you don't want suggestions in the thread, but I can't help it. Honda Civic Type R (EK Premium) and Integra Type R (DC5 Premium)!!!

I downloaded your excel file. I wish my blu-ray drive was working so I could attempt some of your times!

If you only play GT on your PS3, maybe it would be more interesting for you to download the game from the PS Store ? I don't know the current retail price for the dematerialized version, but I know some people ended up doing this instead of undergoing repairs.

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with this. It's addicting huh? Once I started stock trials at Suzuka, I couldn't stop until I did nearly every car I could find.

I'm addicted to that since GT4 :lol: But I still play online as well, and I intend to use that work to improve our online events ;)

I love that you have a column for global gap and gap with previous. I need to learn how to do that.

Nothing hard, really. I don't know how much you know about Excel, so here's how it works :

You have to begin by typing a =, then you write the calculation formula. You can click on a cell while typing to put it as a parameter. Each cell has two coordinates, rows designated by numbers and columns by letters. You can expand your formula by selecting the cell it's typed in and dragging the low-right corner. Cell coordinates you entered in your formula are going to update themselves while you do this, so if you need one of them not to change, you have to put a $ before coordinates.

For example, for the global gap, I have to write =C2-$C$2 in the D2 cell : when I expand this, the formula in the D3 cell will update itself to =C3-$C$2 :) For the gap with previous car, you don't have to use $ for the row, as you want it to update for both parameters, so it ends up to be just =C2-C1. You can also write $C1 to fix the column, but it's not necessary here.

I know you don't want suggestions in the thread

That's in order to keep the topic clear for discussions and stuff. You're discussing, so I won't kick you in the balls :P But a friend asked me to try his next real life car, so Type-R's coming just after^^

You're the man, man! I added global gap and gap w/ previous columns to my Suzuka spreadsheet.

Turns out the slowest car at Suzuka, the Subaru 360, is 2:29.801 slower than the Ferrari FXX :lol:

Glad I could help :)
-----------------------
Updated with :

- Lotus Elise (all road versions)
- Volkswagen VGT (forgot that one from the VW list)
- Finally decided to include my fancy PP recalculator directly into the main table

Now I'm finished with 900hp HSV's and weird setups, I can bring you a new update !

Cars tested :

Honda Civic Type-R EK9 '97
Honda Civic Type-R EK9 '98
Honda Integra Type-R DC5 '03
Honda Integra Type-R DC5 '04
Honda Civic Type-R FD2
Renault R8 Gordini (note : in game, it is equipped as a race car when it really shouldn't be, at max, it should be treated like RUFs, with non customizable parts. Racing brakes are a joke here, so I ran a lower brake balance on this one to be able not to lock up each time I had to touch the brake pedal)

Honda Integra Type-R DC5 '04 01:42,759
Acura NSX '91 01:42,804 (+.045)

Nice! At Suzuka on SH tires:

2:25.634 - 419 - Acura NSX '91
2:26.955 - 433 - Honda Integra Type-R (DC5) '04 (+1.321)

At Laguna Seca on CH tires:

1:50.849 - 419 - Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
1:51.613 - 433 - Acura NSX '91 (+0.764)

That Integra is one hell of a FF. I want one.

It shows Trial Mountain is quite a balanced track :lol:

I wonder if the Clio RS3 has enough power to get in front in stock form. It definitely has the chassis, though, but we'll see that soon, as I'm going for the whole Renault dealerships if I don't have requests this week.

Updated with all remaining Renault road cars. And...

KILLCOUNT = 2

trial_12.jpg

Magalie, if you read me, I'm sorry but I think I just totaled your car.

I love that ramp right before the finish line :)

When you get the chance, try shaking down the KTM X-Bow R and the new Nismo GT-R. Curious to see how they fare at Trial Mountain.

I'm going to try those cars a bit later. I won't have much time to test cars this week, has I have several little events and some videos to treat from the ERC Rallye du Valais.

Anyway, I gave a go to the FXX and put the time in the board and Excel, as usual.

Hey there, I happened to stumble across this thread and I must say, I'm very impressed. 👍 I drive quite often around the Trial Mountain track, and even used it for some of my GT5 car reviews, so I'm familliar with it. The Excel file with the EVO magazine-style short reviews and star ratings is an interesting idea too, provides good feedback to those who want to drive the cars. I'm going to drive the ASL Garaiya based on your very high rating, for example.

Anyway, if you're open for suggestions, I'd like to suggest the Lotus Espirit 350, and maybe (if you can) the Lotus Carlton. I'm interested in seeing how good the Espirit does around the track and well, I love the Carlton (although it is a bit of a hooligan).

Keep doing a good job! :cheers:

Here we are, Friday update !

Cars tested : all R35 GT-R's. Even the Black Mask version, though I had a huge desire to completely ignore that. But that car has unique specs, so I felt obliged.

Anyway, about the KTM, I'll do that later as I have an event next week with both of them, and it's not too serious so people won't train before, so I don't want to get an unfair advantage (though it will not be on Trial Mountain nor comfort softs).

The black mask has a bit more power than the regular 2007 model, while retaining the same weight. The 2009 Spec V, though it has the same PPs, has 10hp less than the BM , but also less weight, and I suspect different chassis settings (I didn't check, I'll compare that next time I fire up the PS3).

The BM is 0,002 slower than the Spec V, but the Spec V feels a bit different from both '07 versions, which are a tad more lively from the rear under braking.

New update.

Decided to give a go to manufacturers which contains only one car in the game if I don't know what to do. So today, have been tested the following :

Autobianchi A112 Abarth '79
Caterham Seven Fireblade '02
Cizeta V16T '94
Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe '99
Light Car Company Rocket '07

About the Cizeta, it is a bit less brutal in its grip losses than I remember from GT5, probably because of the new suspension model, or maybe I had it tuned back then. Anyway, it's still a pain in the ass... I think I should drive that more often :D

Interesting that the Caterham is 3.3 seconds behind the Rocket. The Rocket has 200 more cc's, 27 more horses, same exact torque, and weighs 21 kg more than the Fireblade. I love both cars, and would have a hard time having to pick one over the other.

The Cat' is killed by its gearbox. Besides that, it's basically a big go kart, very harsh suspension and it really dosen't like to get a wheel onto something not flat, like bumps or curbs. While on the other hand, the Rocket absorbs quite well the road imperfections and just feels smoother overall.

New update.

About the Cizeta, it is a bit less brutal in its grip losses than I remember from GT5, probably because of the new suspension model, or maybe I had it tuned back then. Anyway, it's still a pain in the ass... I think I should drive that more often :D

I'd agree with your Cizeta statement, I also hated that car in GT5, it was downright uncontrollable on some tracks because it had so much oversteer it wasn't even funny. It's still not that good mind you, there are better handling supercars for less money.

Also, have you tested my suggestions (Lotus Espirit 350\Lotus Carlton) yet? Just wondering.

Update today, and it was a big session :

Finished the Lotus dealership an also did the Mini Marcos GT.

Busy day, no? ;) Surprised with the Espirit 350's result, and impressed at the same time. It really is the ultimate road-going Espirit; pity about the limited (because of its gearbox) engine power, it could be an even faster car with minor touches. As long as you can keep that great handling, however...

As for the Carlton, should've seen that one coming. It's not really a handling machine, it's more of a :crazy: machine.

Driving the Sport 350 after all the other Esprits, it is definitely surprising how superior this is.

The Carlton is exactly where I expected it to be : in the abyss of sand traps :D

Driving the Sport 350 after all the other Esprits, it is definitely surprising how superior this is.

The Carlton is exactly where I expected it to be : in the abyss of sand traps :D

Befitting of its status, I see? The 350 was the last breath of the Espirit, but what a breath it was... :scared: It is the proper combination between Lotus's handling, V8's prowless and Lightweight's, well, lightness.

Don't powerslide the Carlton too much, otherwise it will blend with the sand as one being. :lol:

The Esprit 350 is 80 kg's lighter than the regular V8. Power is great in a straight line, but less weight means you're faster everywhere 👍

Guess you're right, Suzuka, almost forgot about what makes Lotuses great :dunce:; fluid handling coupled with light weight. 👍 The 350 is all about that and a bit more; it's like a racier Honda NSX-R.

Today's update brings you :

Triumph Spitfire 1500
Seat Ibiza Cupra
Maserati Granturismo S
Callaway C12
Spyker C8 Laviolette
Oullim Spirra Prototype

A couple of amusing, but dangerous cars in the lot.

Update :

A trip to Sochaux today : all the Peugeot were tested !

Must've been a fun day for you, after all Peugeot comes from your country. :) I love the 106s, my family actually owned one (it was a diesel, though :() for a while. Good car, but we bought it from the wrong guy. Anyways, most Peugeots are fun to drive, their hot hatches have an acute feel to them, and the RCZ is pretty stable although it is underpowered against the car people often mention (the Audi TT).

Ah, and they won Le Mans more than once, so that proves Peugeots can be good... 👍

Latest Posts

Back