Timing out in LFS

• Thread starter Robin2
  • 21 comments
its really pissing me off, i can join a server but i keep timing out. it wont even let me join a race.
if i host a server its fine but i cant join a server.

can anyone suggest anything? :confused: :confused:

Bummer - not off the top of my head.

I have this now!! We finally got ADSL at home and got the grunter PC hooked up. Not a bad game, I must say.

So ADSL is better than Cable?

They're both through Telstra aren't they? I'm on ISDN at the moment. Gotta save up the $$$ for ADSL.

We just moved, and we had cable but had to change over the ADSL as the new area doesn't have the cable.

Telstra are still at an experimental stage with ADSL, and the speed and reliability are still on the improve.

Originally posted by eddy_2790
So ADSL is better than Cable?

They're both through Telstra aren't they? I'm on ISDN at the moment. Gotta save up the $$$ for ADSL.

Cable is better then DSL, but it all depends on the ISP really.

Originally posted by MistaX

Yeah, GilesGuthrie was telling me about all that ISP crap. Well, cable isn't available in my area so dsl is the go. And, broadband is new to Australia and there is only one telecommunications company that has broadband, Teltra - or as I like to call them, Telscum. Thieving scum.

Originally posted by MistaX

I'm referring to the Australian experience, with the particularly crappy hybrid cable our national carrier elected to run with that both limited the number of stations the local Pay TV could run, and particularly horrid cable internet (that got worse the more people signed up in your street).

Yeah, GilesGuthrie was telling me about all that ISP crap. Well, cable isn't available in my area so dsl is the go. And, broadband is new to Australia and there is only one telecommunications company that has broadband, Teltra - or as I like to call them, Telscum. Thieving scum.

optus has cable mate.

im on optus dialup and i have never had a problem with them. i get a good 5.6 - 6.2k steady download on 56k

Originally posted by   

optus has cable mate.

im on optus dialup and i have never had a problem with them. i get a good 5.6 - 6.2k steady download on 56k
Optus eh. Optus is usually cheaper than Telscum. I'll look into it, but whether or not you can get cable in Gladstone is a different story. I know through Telscum you can't get cable here.

Originally posted by   

optus has cable mate.

Well, it'll be as good as owned by Telstra in November, and it's the same crappy hybrid cable Foxtel run.

Telstra has decided the future of broadband (and long term, Pay TV) delivery in Australi is ADSL.

Originally posted by vat_man

Well, it'll be as good as owned by Telstra in November, and it's the same crappy hybrid cable Foxtel run.

Telstra has decided the future of broadband (and long term, Pay TV) delivery in Australi is ADSL.
Please explain in simplier form.

How is that exactly going to make Optus owned by Telstra?

Please explain in simplier form.

How is that exactly going to make Optus owned by Telstra?

I was referring to the Optus cable, not Optus itself.

Telstra, combined with PBL and Fox have managed to take a stranglehold on the Australian Pay TV market, effectively squeezing Optus out. Come November (once Telstra deal with the ACCC) you'll be able to get all of the Optus and Foxtel channels on both cables (probably).

This is why a lot of the Optus channels have been appearing on Foxtel - ESPN and Disney being two prime examples.

I'm not quite sure about what your saying about Foxtel and Optus as I have Austar.

But on Austar there is ESPN and Disney.

Originally posted by vat_man

I'm referring to the Australian experience, with the particularly crappy hybrid cable our national carrier elected to run with that both limited the number of stations the local Pay TV could run, and particularly horrid cable internet (that got worse the more people signed up in your street).

Sounds like old & crapulent cabling. Here in Maine Big Bro- er, Time Warner spent years replacing cables with fiber optics to make way for the fat pipe future.

The cable modem service is good, but I suspect they're using pretty heavy bandwidth throttling. Example: if I'm downloading two or three items and I try to go to a different page, I won't be able to until one of the downloads finishes. Kinda annoying, but it does keep the distribution of bandwidth more or less even.

Otherwise, there would be some very pissed off people with slow connections on my node. :fdevil:

As far as cable - they have 250 - 300 channels (I think). Some are quite good (there are four HD channels too) and some are terrible. Worse than halfway decent over-the-air reception.

I don't have cable TV, just the modem. I dunno - there's very rarely anything on that interests me, much less anything I'd for which I'd pay. :shrug:

Well, we were originally talking about cable modems and dsl. Then he went onto pay tv and you said you don't have cable tv (pay tv) and thats when i realized that we have satellite tv.

I just realized something. I have satellite TV, not cable.

Yup - we've got Foxtel satellite, and that KILLS the cable. It's in stereo, MUCH better reception and so on.

The Pay TV and broadband issues are very much linked in Australia.

Risingson 77 - you nailed it - you should read through the history of the introduction of Pay TV in Australia. It'd be funny if it wasn't true.

Back