Tire Flex Example (Visual)

• Thread starter KinLM
  • 87 comments
United States
Azle, Texas, USA
GTP_KinLM
KinLM

Hi all.

I’ve seen lots of talk on here about tire flex and tire modeling.

While I believe most people are referring to the actual physical modeling of this tire flex, I’ve seen some who claim that it is not simulated at all.

However, while driving around the F150 Raptor, I noticed that it is (visually) quite well represented.

Unfortunately I cannot use my G27 so it’s very difficult for me to tell if the sidewall physics are being modeled real time by the physics engine.

Considering we still do not have tire pressure adjustment, it would seem unlikely that the tire model is much better than anything we saw in GT6.

However, it would also be odd to model the sidewall flex so thoroughly from a visual perspective and completely ignore it from a physical aspect. GT5 modeled the speed of sound for goodness sake, and all GTs from as far back as I can remember model ride height differentiation due to aero (and as a result, changing suspension geometry due to the differing ride height) in both a visual and physical aspect

If anybody has any insight into this, please feel free to add. I was gone from GTP for a very long time so I’ve missed out on any updates as to what the current physics model of the game is. No longer being able to use my wheel makes it even more difficult to figure out this new physics model compared to GT6.

These photos were just quickly snapped, didnt edit them or play with any of the settings. Just wanted to present an unaltered example of what I noticed and hopefully point out a detail of the game that some people may not have noticed yet.

9DC49298-2369-457C-AFD0-7FCA5B7C7AF8.png
333502AF-BF83-4D52-A4B0-9E69A492CBD2.png

To me the GTS tire model feels totally wrong. I am not going to write all the things that are wrong as I did that already many times.

We know PD is working on a new tire model so we should wait for that.
I would hope so. I feel as though that is the current limiting factor in the physics. Aero and geometry have come a ways but at the end of the day, the only point of contact between the road and the car is the tire (unless you’re shooting sparks like an 80’s F1 car :P )

I actually have heard nothing of this new tire model though. Was this actually announced by PD?

I would hope so. I feel as though that is the current limiting factor in the physics. Aero and geometry have come a ways but at the end of the day, the only point of contact between the road and the car is the tire (unless you’re shooting sparks like an 80’s F1 car :P )

I actually have heard nothing of this new tire model though. Was this actually announced by PD?
Yep

The best tire model of any Playstation Game I have ever played was a Nascar Game I think it was on the PS3.

Tire pressure was adjustable in each individual tire in .5 lb increments.

Different compounds heated up at different levels such as a soft tire may be a 1/2 lap while a hard compound may be a full lap to full temp.

The hud showed similar tires as the GTS hud but cold tires were blue, optimum temps were green and overheating was red and changed in real time according to how hard you was pushing the car.

Grip life also was realistic as to how you drove the car and how hard you pushed the shorter the tire life much more pronounced than in GTS.

Even suspension affected the tires go with extreme camber it would eat up the tires.

Suspension spring rates could be adjusted independently for each corner as well.

From a physics and adjustment standpoint for a racing game that game was way ahead of its time.

Keep bouncing the engine off the rev limiter then the engine may blow ending your race,

Paid dividends in that game to drive a car in a manner that took care of the equipment where in GTS not as much difference.

I wish GTS was as good in those respects.

Wasn’t that NASCAR Racing 2003 on PC ?

It was definitely a Playstation Title I was referring to although there may have been a version for PC as well.

I am pretty sure anyway! getting old!

Went digging through my older games and it was a PC title Nascar Legends copyright on the game manual was 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went digging through my older games and it was a PC title Nascar Legends copyright on the game manual was 1999.
Nascar 08 on the PS3 also simulated the tire model in the same way. I enjoyed how if you pushed the tire too hard temperature-wise it would simply burst.

Unfortunately, the game suffered from other physics issues that rendered this tire model basically useless (one could often flip a car over simply by exiting a corner with too much steering angle on a short track) but it was a fair bit better than what we currently are given in GTSport.

The best tire model of any Playstation Game I have ever played was a Nascar Game I think it was on the PS3.

Tire pressure was adjustable in each individual tire in .5 lb increments.

Different compounds heated up at different levels such as a soft tire may be a 1/2 lap while a hard compound may be a full lap to full temp.

The hud showed similar tires as the GTS hud but cold tires were blue, optimum temps were green and overheating was red and changed in real time according to how hard you was pushing the car.

Grip life also was realistic as to how you drove the car and how hard you pushed the shorter the tire life much more pronounced than in GTS.

Even suspension affected the tires go with extreme camber it would eat up the tires.

Suspension spring rates could be adjusted independently for each corner as well.

From a physics and adjustment standpoint for a racing game that game was way ahead of its time.

Keep bouncing the engine off the rev limiter then the engine may blow ending your race,

Paid dividends in that game to drive a car in a manner that took care of the equipment where in GTS not as much difference.

I wish GTS was as good in those respects.
Project Cars 2 simulates ALL OF THIS.

This came up in a thread quite a while ago, I’m pretty sure it was added as early as the beta (I’m remembering a particular few images showcasing the flex on a Lotus Evora). Also later post-launch someone found PD actually modeled visual changes in tire texture as they wore down, blistering was there but flat spots weren’t. I’ll try to find the old thread.

PD’s done wonders with the attention to detail in GTS, it’s just a shame that not everything cosmetically/aesthetically modeled is currently* physically simulated.

Last edited:
Wow, forgot there was even an article on it:

https://www.gtplanet.net/tire-deformation-spotted-within-gt-sport/

But yeah, we've actually had it available to us for over a year now, I specifically remember a blue Lotus in one of the first "discoveries", but here's the earliest thread I could find if you want to read:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tire-deformation-spotted-within-gt-sport.355989/

I hope the ever elusive "updated tire model" takes the flex into account and doesn't make it simply a cosmetic animation.

Wow, forgot there was even an article on it:

https://www.gtplanet.net/tire-deformation-spotted-within-gt-sport/

But yeah, we've actually had it available to us for over a year now, I specifically remember a blue Lotus in one of the first "discoveries", but here's the earliest thread I could find if you want to read:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tire-deformation-spotted-within-gt-sport.355989/

I hope the ever elusive "updated tire model" takes the flex into account and doesn't make it simply a cosmetic animation.

Tire flex is definitely not just a cosmetic animation in GTS. It's very much taken into account. The only issue is the way PD's Force Feedback "politics" were set.

Take any game with tire flex. PC2, AC, etc, and turn the FFB down all the way, you won't feel anything. That's pretty much what I felt on GTS when I had a G29 wheel. AC and PC2 had tons of detials and clear feel of tire flex ondulation and hard rubbery vibration into the wheel when cornering very hard. In GTS, with that wheel i got 20-30% of the ffb feel and effects compared to the aforementioned game.

Then, a few months ago I decided to upgrade to the T-GT (or alternatively renturn it once I realise it's only marginally better than the G29 in term of what it has to offer in GTS, which I was almost sure of).

All I can say is that throughout all the gadgets that I've ever bought, the T-GT (in combination with GTS) was the one that completele blew me away, as in I was definitely not expecting much or any improvement, and I completely underestimated it.

Long story short: T-GT honestly offers more details with GTS than it, or the G29, offered me in AC/PC2. There's a huge difference. Tire flex? yes, from subtle to very pronounced. Road vibration and texture, something thanks to it's passive radiator at the back (which unfortunately works ONLY with GTS) that is in another league than the other games. It makes a huge difference and definitely improved the way I viewed GTS overall. FFB at least (and the fact that I can now feel things I didn't before, like road vibrations, engine vibration, tire flex) is much improved and is actually above PC2 and AC (T-GT is recognized in PC2 and AC as Thrustmaster T300).

Now of course this is by no means a wholly good thing. Yes, GTS has coded in it a wide array of ffb detail and effects, in many cases better than what PC2 and AC does. But the elephant in the room is that the FFB in GTS is build to ONLY be fully experienced with this "official" wheel. And that's inexcusable. And I say it as a T-GT user. Yes, it was worth it for me as I spend more and more time in GTS due to the Online FIA Championships, and it's definitely much better in any other game than G29 as it's basically an improved T300, but TBH the price is kinda steep (even though it offers that passive transducer and a few other new features not seen before that aid FFB) and it's a complete shame on PD's (and Thrustmaster's for that matter) side that: a) The passive transducer, which adds a lot of very welcomed fine road detials, ONLY works with GTS (at least at the moment) and b) GTS doesn't show almost any of it's FFB (including tire flex feel) unless you use this specific wheel. Yeah, not even the FANATEC CSL ELITE works well. It's either T-GT, or one of the least detailed, flad and "dead" FFB feel in racing games.

Tyre flex as a visual has been in GTS for a long time now, the main issue is that GTS doesn't model it well from a tyre model physics point of view at all (and hardware dependent in terms of feel - which is an absurd situation, particularly given that Thrustmaster say it will remain locked to the GT series).

I'm still not convinced that the gains found with the T-GT are not, at least in part, canned effects. As the issues with the tyre model that still exist (around heat cycles, lack of pressure modelling, etc) as well as the issues with dampers that still exist don't gel with FFB that is said to be as good a the current best on PS4.

Even with the changes PD has made from the last gen of titles to GTS, the tyre model is a long way behind the best around (the heat cycling within the tyre, across the carcass and the effect outside factors have on the tyres in PC2 is simply amazing - and can be seen to be working, with heat dissipating from the brakes affecting the tyres as an example), and quite frankly I don't see them bridging that gap any time soon.

Tyre flex as a visual has been in GTS for a long time now, the main issue is that GTS doesn't model it well from a tyre model physics point of view at all (and hardware dependent in terms of feel - which is an absurd situation, particularly given that Thrustmaster say it will remain locked to the GT series).

I'm still not convinced that the gains found with the T-GT are not, at least in part, canned effects. As the issues with the tyre model that still exist (around heat cycles, lack of pressure modelling, etc) as well as the issues with dampers that still exist don't gel with FFB that is said to be as good a the current best on PS4.

Even with the changes PD has made from the last gen of titles to GTS, the tyre model is a long way behind the best around (the heat cycling within the tyre, across the carcass and the effect outside factors have on the tyres in PC2 is simply amazing - and can be seen to be working, with heat dissipating from the brakes affecting the tyres as an example), and quite frankly I don't see them bridging that gap any time soon.

Have you tried T-GT on GTS? If you get the chance, try it, and then you'll have an idea. What you're saying basically sounds like you're calling my personal experience, with my T-GT on GTS (and AC, PC2, F1 2017, Dirt 4, WRC 7 and Drive club for that matter) as BS or that I'm lying. I tried it, I own it and use it daily, have been for a few months now, and i'm giving people an as-objective opinion as possible. Any other wheel on GTS makes GTS feel very bland and flat. T-GT on GTS offers more revined details than (from my experience) either G29 or T-GT (reconzied as and esentially an improved T300) on AC, PC2, F1 2017 and WRC7. I'm excluding Dirt 4 and DriveClub because they have horribly bad ffb regardless of the wheel.

Also, indeed, PC2 put some time into tire temperature simulation, but it's to no avail since as long as it reaches close to optimal temp, the cars feel on rails, very very sticky and very very hard to spin, whereas in GTS and AC they feel more on edge. Granted GTS doesn't have as in-depth model as AC or PC2, but at least putting aside GTS, AC does it very well and it feels believable. PC2 feels like it started from rather forgiving and easy racing sim-cade, and added more and more setup options and realistic features regarding tire model, aerodinamics, etc etc, but in the end, at least taking GT3 cars as an example (on hard tires), once the heat is up to optimum, PC2 feels WAY to grippy and stuck to the road.

Well... Driveclub has also a very nice visual Tyre flex just like GTS.

But that Tyre flex isn't simulated in physics and you can't feel it in the wheel.

GTS Tyre model is still quite basic and for the moment quite broken in slow speed grip, medium speed grip an lateral grip.

Assetto corsa's doesn't have visual Tyre flex, but got it simulated in physics together with graining and blistering,flat spot..

Pcars 2 have both, visual Tyre flex and simulated in physics engine..

The last 2 have also good simulation of temperatures (inner, central, outer) and Tyre pressure .

By the way, you have "drive Hub" that make every wheel compatible with PS4, also the good old G27

Have you tried T-GT on GTS? If you get the chance, try it, and then you'll have an idea. What you're saying basically sounds like you're calling my personal experience, with my T-GT on GTS (and AC, PC2, F1 2017, Dirt 4, WRC 7 and Drive club for that matter) as BS or that I'm lying. I tried it, I own it and use it daily, have been for a few months now, and i'm giving people an as-objective opinion as possible. Any other wheel on GTS makes GTS feel very bland and flat. T-GT on GTS offers more revined details than (from my experience) either G29 or T-GT (reconzied as and esentially an improved T300) on AC, PC2, F1 2017 and WRC7. I'm excluding Dirt 4 and DriveClub because they have horribly bad ffb regardless of the wheel.
I have very briefly tried one and I'm not saying you are lying, not even close.

I am questioning (given the tyre model and suspension issues with GTS) if what can be felt is a direct result of the physics engine (as Raw is for PC2 and AC is when you turn all the FFB options off) or if it the result of a canned affect (as PC2 and AC have when you switch the options on).

Also, indeed, PC2 put some time into tire temperature simulation, but it's to no avail since as long as it reaches close to optimal temp, the cars feel on rails, very very sticky and very very hard to spin, whereas in GTS and AC they feel more on edge. Granted GTS doesn't have as in-depth model as AC or PC2, but at least putting aside GTS, AC does it very well and it feels believable. PC2 feels like it started from rather forgiving and easy racing sim-cade, and added more and more setup options and realistic features regarding tire model, aerodinamics, etc etc, but in the end, at least taking GT3 cars as an example (on hard tires), once the heat is up to optimum, PC2 feels WAY to grippy and stuck to the road.
Have you ever driven a car on optimal temperature slicks?

I have, they feel like they are on rails, particularly when combined with aero. Its also simply not true to say that you can't spin a car with optimal temp tyres in PC2.

Last edited:
How exactly is it supposed to feel via FFB, how do i know it's tire flex and not something else?
Driving on low pressure tires feels sluggish, slow & understeery, but never noticed anything subtle background FFB with optimal pressures... I'm curious because i can definitely feel the flat spots in Assetto after brake lock ups!

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the drivers at the GT World Tour event compared the new tire model to Asseto Corsa right?They said it felt closer to Asseto Corsa.

Have you tried T-GT on GTS?

I personally cannot agree or not whether the feedback that a person can receive within GTS by using the "official" wheel which in my opinion for the product is way overpriced as I have never played the game using the product is in fact of a much superior level compared to other available options.

I will say if the game is programmed to a degree where using that "official" wheel and that "official" wheel only offers a competitive advantage through advanced detection of the actual grip level that can ONLY be detected using that one official wheel that PD has skewered any hopes of the game being seen as a legitimate racing sim will be a joke.

If this remarkable sounding difference in detection of a cars level of remaining grip is indeed a fact and not a placebo effect for the user making these claims using this very expensive for what it is "official" wheel is a result of intentional advanced programming within the game itself to restrict other wheels regardless of the quality of build or hardware used which has the potential to easily duplicate or even exceed the "official" wheels results using the same in game programming I am of the opinion PD has crossed a line that will be difficult if not impossible to be uncrossed.

I see no problem offering an 'official" product that gives easier access via button layout to some functions and so forth but using the programming to to affect and improve the actual results of the game play which would give the users a competitive advantage would in no way in my opinion be considered acceptable.

There is no doubt in my mind that Fanatec does probably offer a superior product from a build quality standpoint and even at a price point lower than the "official" wheel and we have seen where PD has even had better ffb options available for on even the much less expensive G29.

The very fact that a wheel such as Fanatec that is a well known player and very popular option withing the sim racing community has been restricted in its options within gts by PD does indicate that PD is not above favoring the performance of one controller and restricting performance of another.

As a final statement if I were going to spend that much money on a wheel that would not be the product I would spend my money on. But I guess I would be changing games I played to games that actually supported the operation of the product I felt was a much better value and bought.

I would be willing to bet that the TGT would not be considered the wheel of choice for most serious racers for any sim racing game other than possibly GTS whether on console or PC.

I personally cannot agree or not whether the feedback that a person can receive within GTS by using the "official" wheel which in my opinion for the product is way overpriced as I have never played the game using the product is in fact of a much superior level compared to other available options.

I will say if the game is programmed to a degree where using that "official" wheel and that "official" wheel only offers a competitive advantage through advanced detection of the actual grip level that can ONLY be detected using that one official wheel that PD has skewered any hopes of the game being seen as a legitimate racing sim will be a joke.

If this remarkable sounding difference in detection of a cars level of remaining grip is indeed a fact and not a placebo effect for the user making these claims using this very expensive for what it is "official" wheel is a result of intentional advanced programming within the game itself to restrict other wheels regardless of the quality of build or hardware used which has the potential to easily duplicate or even exceed the "official" wheels results using the same in game programming I am of the opinion PD has crossed a line that will be difficult if not impossible to be uncrossed.

I see no problem offering an 'official" product that gives easier access via button layout to some functions and so forth but using the programming to to affect and improve the actual results of the game play which would give the users a competitive advantage would in no way in my opinion be considered acceptable.

There is no doubt in my mind that Fanatec does probably offer a superior product from a build quality standpoint and even at a price point lower than the "official" wheel and we have seen where PD has even had better ffb options available for on even the much less expensive G29.

The very fact that a wheel such as Fanatec that is a well known player and very popular option withing the sim racing community has been restricted in its options within gts by PD does indicate that PD is not above favoring the performance of one controller and restricting performance of another.

As a final statement if I were going to spend that much money on a wheel that would not be the product I would spend my money on. But I guess I would be changing games I played to games that actually supported the operation of the product I felt was a much better value and bought.

I would be willing to bet that the TGT would not be considered the wheel of choice for most serious racers for any sim racing game other than possibly GTS whether on console or PC.

Question still remains (although was not addressed to you) - did you try it?

You are suggesting it's some type of "placebo" effect even though I clearly stated I myself was surprised by how much more detail you get in it, as I was expecting nothing special. So why would you claim I'm bsting? That's odd.

In any case, as I have clearly stated in my initial post: T-GT offers much more detail in GTS. Yes, it makes GTS feel VERY good. It's also a very good wheel for other games as it's basically an improved T 300 - think of it as T 300 mk2. No, it's not worth the money if you don't play GTS a lot, obviously, and I believe we each ave the right ot spend our money on whatever and however we please and prioritise.

You are also echoing what I already said - i specifically mentioned it's lame on PD and Thrustmaster's side to take this FFB "politics" decision and dumb down any other wheel, it's quite clear in my comment. I am NOT applauding any of the parties for that.

The scope of the post seemed to have escaped you for some reason: It's not "placebo", you can try it and then we can discuss. It does offer a very good sensation of tyre flex (which is the subject of this thread), and yes, it's too expesnive if you don't play GTS a lot, and the decision regarding the way FFB plays on GTS from different wheels is very lame on PD's side.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the drivers at the GT World Tour event compared the new tire model to Asseto Corsa right?They said it felt closer to Asseto Corsa.

I believe Tigdney (good GTS player, was at the Nurb event) said that, indeed.

I have very briefly tried one and I'm not saying you are lying, not even close.

I am questioning (given the tyre model and suspension issues with GTS) if what can be felt is a direct result of the physics engine (as Raw is for PC2 and AC is when you turn all the FFB options off) or if it the result of a canned affect (as PC2 and AC have when you switch the options on).

Have you ever driven a car on optimal temperature slicks?

I have, they feel like they are on rails, particularly when combined with aero. Its also simply not true to say that you can't spin a car with optimal temp tyres in PC2.

On the first point, please read my initial post - I said pretty much the exact same thing - it's lame on PD's side to dumb down (a lot) the FFB detail coming through other wheels, but not on GTS. It is a very unfair move towards customers that already had another wheel. That being said, i cannot take away the level of detail and improvement I've felt on T-GT in GTS, and how I feel it more "organic" than what I'm feeling in PC and AC2. That being said, on PC2 and AC, the T-GT feels miles ahead of the G29. So it's a very solid wheel, just too expensive if you're not playing a lot of GTS.

On your second point, no, I have not driven a car on slicks at optimum pressure. What I have driven and tested are other games. Besides GTS, AC feels very different and is not nearly as stuck to the road like PC2. I even tried the soft slicks on the 650s GT3 and it still feels more "alive" and not-so stuck to the road as PC2. I also tested quite af ew time at a local endurance racer for Ginetta (Romanian Endurance Team) his awesome simulator and tried out RaceRoom and iRacing (he's using an Accuforce pro, awesome wheel), and it still felt much more in line with AC rather than PC2.

Moreover, in case you speak german, there's an actual race driver called Jan Seyffarth - he's a Mercedes works racer, racing in ADAC and VLN with a GT3 AMG, and he made this little series on his youtube channel, and tested iracing, rfactor, raceroom, AC and PC2 to name a few (no GTS, only races on PC). He had a very good impression of AC, but quite a bad one with PC2, racing his own GT3 AMG on the Nurburgring, and being very disappointed on how it's unrealistic, both as a car and as at rack (bumps, etc). He did prefer iRacing out of all of them as being closest to the real thing. Check his video below:

Taking ALL of this into account - my personal testing observing that AC RaceRoom, Iracing and to some degree GTS behave in one way, and PC2 behaves in ad ifferent way (GT3 cars feel much ehavier and less responsive BUT have an abnormal ammount of grip even on hard tires), AND the fact that an actual factory Mercedes GT3 race driver tested all of them and was least impressed by PC2's realism and feel, and very impressed by both AC and iRacing (and raceroom and rfactor, but to a lesser extent), I think it would be quite a logical assumption that PC2 is not a "real" racing simulator.

I understand that you're a fan and really love the game, and it's definitely very good, I played through all the campaign, invitational events. But it's just not as realistic as you may think.

But of course, you can be free to believe whatever you please and like whatever you want. I'm just describing my logic based on what a real racer said

Last edited by a moderator:
Question still remains (although was not addressed to you) - did you try it?

You are suggesting it's some type of "placebo" effect even though I clearly stated I myself was surprised by how much more detail you get in it,

I have never played the game using the product

If this remarkable sounding difference in detection of a cars level of remaining grip is indeed a fact and not a placebo effect

I think my previous post was very plain in its context and the above quotes answer to the content of what I said in regards to personal experience or the possibility of a placebo effect.

Just because you firmly believe you are feeling an actual difference does not mean you are, that is what is known as a placebo effect and as such is also why in medical trials to separate actual benefits of a drug or procedure versus the false perception of a positive result.

pla·ce·bo ef·fect
pləˈsēbō əˈfekt,ēˈfekt/
noun
noun: placebo effect; plural noun: placebo effects
  1. a beneficial effect, produced by a placebo drug or treatment, that cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment
I do not for a minute think you are making up what you share as what you say you are experiencing or feeling on a personal level.

What I do question is if in fact this wheel has such a noticeable effect on game play in GTS that would allow a racer to achieve such superior results over any other wheel and pedal variation is how has this remained such a secret within the GTS community for what would be about 8 months now since launch?
The scope of the post seemed to have escaped you for some reason: It's not "placebo"

The scope of the post has in no way escaped, me only questioning if the results you think are there why would it not be a main topic of discussion on a site and forum dedicated to racing within the GTS game?

And no I will not be spending my money on a product taking the opinion of a single player in its seemingly almost magical and mystical effects within the game "to try it".

I think my previous post was very plain in its context and the above quotes answer to the content of what I said in regards to personal experience or the possibility of a placebo effect.

Just because you firmly believe you are feeling an actual difference does not mean you are, that is what is known as a placebo effect and as such is also why in medical trials to separate actual benefits of a drug or procedure versus the false perception of a positive result.

pla·ce·bo ef·fect
pləˈsēbō əˈfekt,ēˈfekt/
noun
noun: placebo effect; plural noun: placebo effects
  1. a beneficial effect, produced by a placebo drug or treatment, that cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment
I do not for a minute think you are making up what you share as what you say you are experiencing or feeling on a personal level.

What I do question is if in fact this wheel has such a noticeable effect on game play in GTS that would allow a racer to achieve such superior results over any other wheel and pedal variation is how has this remained such a secret within the GTS community for what would be about 8 months now since launch?

The scope of the post has in no way escaped, me only questioning if the results you think are there why would it not be a main topic of discussion on a site and forum dedicated to racing within the GTS game?

And no I will not be spending my money on a product taking the opinion of a single player in its seemingly almost magical and mystical effects within the game "to try it".

Its simple them, since I use product X and relayed my experience with it to the GTPlaneg audience,and you have never tried it and thus to not have a reference for how that product is whatsoever, even if you quote the entire thesaurus, your opinion about said product or my experience to it is null and void in any logical equation.

You can believe it feels like a Nintedo Wii air wheel as far as im concerned. I own it and shared its advantages and features. You have never even tried it. Your opinion on this specific matter is pointless and boarderline trolling.

On the first point, please read my initial post - I said pretty much the exact same thing - it's lame on PD's side to dumb down (a lot) the FFB detail coming through other wheels, but not on GTS. It is a very unfair move towards customers that already had another wheel. That being said, i cannot take away the level of detail and improvement I've felt on T-GT in GTS, and how I feel it more "organic" than what I'm feeling in PC and AC2. That being said, on PC2 and AC, the T-GT feels miles ahead of the G29. So it's a very solid wheel, just too expensive if you're not playing a lot of GTS.
I've read your post, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm saying that what your feeling may not be from GTS physics engine, but could be canned effects.

On your second point, no, I have not driven a car on slicks at optimum pressure. What I have driven and tested are other games. Besides GTS, AC feels very different and is not nearly as stuck to the road like PC2. I even tried the soft slicks on the 650s GT3 and it still feels more "alive" and not-so stuck to the road as PC2. I also tested quite af ew time at a local endurance racer for Ginetta (Romanian Endurance Team) his awesome simulator and tried out RaceRoom and iRacing (he's using an Accuforce pro, awesome wheel), and it still felt much more in line with AC rather than PC2.
I don't agree that AC and RRE feel that different to PC2 at all, quite the opposite I find them very similar. Iracing has a bloody awful tyre model and it's not in the same place as the other three.

Moreover, in case you speak german, there's an actual race driver called Jan Seyffarth - he's a Mercedes works racer, racing in ADAC and VLN with a GT3 AMG, and he made this little series on his youtube channel, and tested iracing, rfactor, raceroom, AC and PC2 to name a few (no GTS, only races on PC). He had a very good impression of AC, but quite a bad one with PC2, racing his own GT3 AMG on the Nurburgring, and being very disappointed on how it's unrealistic, both as a car and as at rack (bumps, etc). He did prefer iRacing out of all of them as being closest to the real thing. Check his video below:

I know the video, it's been discussed in other threads here and has some major problems with his reasoning. One of the ones being his claim that the ring differs between AC and PC2, now visually it does, but the rest doesn't. How do we know this? That's quite simple, both titles use the same scan data supplied by the ring themselves.

He's also something of a lone voice in this regard.

Taking ALL of this into account - my personal testing observing that AC RaceRoom, Iracing and to some degree GTS behave in one way, and PC2 behaves in ad ifferent way (GT3 cars feel much ehavier and less responsive BUT have an abnormal ammount of grip even on hard tires), AND the fact that an actual factory Mercedes GT3 race driver tested all of them and was least impressed by PC2's realism and feel, and very impressed by both AC and iRacing (and raceroom and rfactor, but to a lesser extent), I think it would be quite a logical assumption that PC2 is not a "real" racing simulator.
It's comments such as 'less grip on hard tyres' that raise questions about your logic. Different compound tyres can exhibit exactly the same levels of peak grip, but be suitable for different oppeeatop temps or ranges, it's not (as GTS still works under the assumption) simply a grip multiplier.

I understand that you're a fan and really love the game, and it's definitely very good, I played through all the campaign, invitational events. But it's just not as realistic as you may think.
It's close to and at times on a par with AC.

It's certainly not as you claimed built upon a simcade foundation.

But of course, you can be free to believe whatever you please and like whatever you want.
Nope, I base it on what I can demonstrate, all of the factors I mentioned about the PC2 tyre model earlier I have in the past shown to exist.

I'm just describing my logic based on what a real racer said
No, your basing your logic on one driver, plenty exist who disagree with that view (driver 61, who has no sim racing bias or background praised both). That's not logic, it's confirmation bias.

AC has its physics issues, PC2 has its physics issues, as does every sim (but they are all roughly in the same ball park). GTS has more of them that any of those mentioned above, and the extra your getting through the T-GT doesn't change those at all, particularly as a good chance exists that they may well be canned.

The difference between AC and PC2 (and RRE, etc) is significantly smaller that the difference between all of them and GTS.

What you are feeling in GTS with the wheel doesn't mean that GTS has suddenly gained tyre heat cycles, has fixed the magic dampers or resolved any of the other physics issues it has.

None of which actually make GTS 'bad', in fact for its target audience it makes GTS the ideal product. An approachable physics engine that has evolved in that regard, I also know first hand, from the Copper Box event, that they can do more realistic. It's just never hit the main release.

Last edited:
Your opinion on this specific matter is pointless and boarderline trolling.
I own it and shared its advantages and features.

Actually you do own it and you share what is only your opinion as to its advantages but you fail to understand your opinion does not make it true or fact, just your opinion.

My opinion is that I will not drink the koolaid of your single opinion in relation to your professed magical and mystic driving abilities that this over priced wheel provides in GTS over other well regarded less expensive products.

I very clearly just questioned that with the claims you have made if the advantages were as drastic and easily noticeable as you are putting forth then why were the advantages such a well kept secret rather than having many serious racers raving about this is the only wheel to use if you are a serious GTS racer?

Funny that this forum is not overrun with threads worshipping this wheels abilities.

So no, it is not borderline trolling at all just that you find it very difficult to accept that someone questions the validity of your claims being fact and chooses to state so.

I think a Chevrolet is a better driving car and responds better than a Ford.
That also is a statement that is nothing but opinion and just because I think the Chevrolet is a better car does not make it true.

No difference than the opinion you offer with 0 facts to back up the claim!

Actually you do own it and you share what is only your opinion as to its advantages but you fail to understand your opinion does not make it true or fact, just your opinion.

My opinion is that I will not drink the koolaid of your single opinion in relation to your professed magical and mystic driving abilities that this over priced wheel provides in GTS over other well regarded less expensive products.

I very clearly just questioned that with the claims you have made if the advantages were as drastic and easily noticeable as you are putting forth then why were the advantages such a well kept secret rather than having many serious racers raving about this is the only wheel to use if you are a serious GTS racer?

Funny that this forum is not overrun with threads worshipping this wheels abilities.

So no, it is not borderline trolling at all just that you find it very difficult to accept that someone questions the validity of your claims being fact and chooses to state so.

I think a Chevrolet is a better driving car and responds better than a Ford.
That also is a statement that is nothing but opinion and just because I think the Chevrolet is a better car does not make it true.

No difference than the opinion you offer with 0 facts to back up the claim!

Sure, your logic makes so much sense. I offer my opinion on a wheel, you never even tried it mut decide out of the blue to "contest" my claim based on your 0 experience with said proruct.

Good logic, bro. Must be doing great in all arguments you have in life.

Back