TOCA 3. you know. the ps2 version.

• Thread starter kinigitt
  • 1,059 comments
I was just curious, has anyone noticed any differences between the console versions and the PC versions? For example, I know a lot of games for the PC have much better force feedback than the PS2 . . . it's hard to argue that the feel for games like F1 Challenge up to rh2005 and GTR don't have superior feel to PS2 racers. So does the PC version handle the same as the PS2 version?

I think it's mainly the graphics, the PC version looks great if you have good pc, the playstation 2 version doesn't look nearly as good so I've heared. Still a great game regardless of what format, as for other differences like the actual handling, I can't comment because I've only seen the console versions and not played on them.

I just bought it tonight, I've only done a few V8 Supercar races and I love it. It's good fun but second gear is a killer when you're getting used to it.

Just bought it last night, had a couple of hours on it.

I've only tried 'World Tour' - i really hope this is a 'arcade' style mode, it was really disapointing, just too fast. Clio Cup on Silverstone national circuit - in reality they lap in about 1.05.xxx - in WorldTour they were lapping in 0.44.xxx - twenty seconds a lap faster on a circuit of a little over a mile in length!?

Had a race a little further on in a Formula 1000 on Silverstones GP circuit where the lap times weren't far off F1 times! - Luffield isn't a 90mph corner in any kind of car, let alone a 1ltr one!

I really hope the other modes are more realistic, i'm not expecting GTR levels of simulation, but so far TOCA3 seems closer to Mario Kart.

The tracks also seem very flat with little elevation, and not very accurate in corner profile or track width. The start finish straight at Oulton Park is about 3 times wider than it is in reality, Graham Hill bend at Brands is little more than a flat-out kink and Brooklands at Silverstone which is a 100+degree corner can be taken at 80+mph! I would have thought that by TOCA's 5th(?) outing Codemasters would have got, at least the British circuits, a bit more authentic.

So far i'm very dissapointed by TOCA3.

rant over ;)

Is it just me or is that Scottish bloke just plain scarily realistic (and i'm not talking about daan :sly: )

Wouldnt worry cracker, im assuming you had the pro sim settings on in the options? Not even sure if they work in world tour, try pro career, much better imo.

Ashley.
Wouldnt worry cracker, im assuming you had the pro sim settings on in the options? Not even sure if they work in world tour, try pro career, much better imo.

👍 I was hoping that the mode i chose was the quick start option. I've recently bought Enthusia and i suppose any PS2 racing game is going to seem arcadie after that. I'll try the pro mode next time.

live4speed
I think it's mainly the graphics, the PC version looks great if you have good pc, the playstation 2 version doesn't look nearly as good so I've heared. Still a great game regardless of what format, as for other differences like the actual handling, I can't comment because I've only seen the console versions and not played on them.

That's right. I have the PC version and went to play teh PS2 version round my mates last night. It looked a lot worse, but maybe that's just because i'm used to PC version :D

I didn't realise that, I just accepted that they didn't work at all. Is that before every race, or do you just have to set it once in the wt mode?

Theres a glitch in options saving, everytime you load the game up you will have to set them to on regardless of wether it says its saved or not.

Oh man, had some troubles yesterday on World Tour.

British GT in the Vauxhall VX220 was a nightmare, kept going off, finally won after several attempts.

Palmer Audi, the boost feature is annoying. My tip is qualify 1st and block anyone trying to pass.

I'm dying to get into the V8 Supercars!

DeLoreanBrown
How much effort was that in pro career? pro sim set all the way?:D

Honnestly, I'm not all that impressed with the dif in this game. I'm playing on hard with full pro sim and I'm getting great times on every type of race I'm doing... I thought it was going to be a lot harder. The thing I do is simply break late and hard and you can move up spots like crazy. There are at least two corners on every track that the computer can't judge very well and it's in those places that this "trick" (for lack of a better term) works best. Though it's about 110% better Ai then in GT4, hands down... these guys at least make you pull a couple of moves until you get to the front of the pack...

DeLoreanBrown
Is the rubber sticky?

also; how much effort was that in pro career? pro sim set all the way?:D

The rubber is very sticky, pro sim was on all the way, difficulty on 95% and laps set to 5.:)

The F1 races are intense, very fast indeed, when your overtaking or being overtaken, you need to be so careful as one touch could end you race, you even have to be gentle when hitting rumble strips, especially big ones, they can break your suspension, in practice at hockenheim my front right went a wobbly after continuously hitting a rumble strip hard lap after lap.

Despite how hard it is to win races, the lap times seem very fast. I did a 1'05.xxx at Hockenheim GP and only got me 17th place with the pole time sitting at 1'02.xxx. Its dissappointing that the F1 series only has 9 races but the fun factor and challenge makes up for this:D Heres the list of tracks that you run in the F1s..

Hockenheim GP
Nurburgring Short
Osceschleben
Shanghai
Bahrain
Silverstone GP
Adelaide
Eastern Creek
Spa-Francorchamps.

No Istanbul, that only seems to be in the DTM.

W00t! I'm in the F3 Championship!

The Ultima Can-Ams were a blast.

Not only can you use a manual transmission (it wouldn't be much of a sim without one, would it?), but you can also use a clutch. It is difficult (so they say), but it is there.

Cheers,

MasterGT

I got the latest demo and played it. I guess I hadn't played the last release because it was a little better this time but still no where close to the screenshots of the indy car smashing into the wall and it crumbling. 👎

You need pro damage on, it's soo easy to tear up open wheelers with the pro damage set to on. the full game is nothing short of a blast with everythin set to pro sim.

I tried the PSM demo and it didn't impress me much (physicswise, I failed to see any improvement from TRD2), so I'm still a bit reluctant on buying this one.

I'll wait for someone here to make a full review of the game before I decide wether I should buy it or not.

live4speed
You need pro damage on, it's soo easy to tear up open wheelers with the pro damage set to on. the full game is nothing short of a blast with everythin set to pro sim.

:odd: So I take it you can only experience it if you get the full version because the demo has it locked?

I'm very happy I purchased this game. The graphics aren't on par with GT4, but I can easily overlook that for the gaming experience it gives.

I did have it freeze on me once when I looked behind me, but that's been the only problem. Other than that one time thing it's a fantastic game. I never played the prior versions, so I can't compare them to this newest one. However, I believe as a racing game, it blows by GT4. The sounds, the action, the added realism... it's phenomenal. Again, I can overlook the graphics because of the racing experience.

So has anyone had the AI purposly cause you to crash? I played the bump and drive style that works most of the time in the GT games and after bumping a guy in the GT lites he pulled a pit manouver on me and sent me out into the grass. IRL is quite fun... and challenging when you're in a pack.

This is the explanation of ToCA3's penaty system. Any updates or improvements mentioned will be for the PC version, of course.

=================================================

Dangerous Driving

It's clear that the penalty system is one of the more hotly-debated topics on [our] forum, and while we're working on improvements, both for corner cutting and dangerous driving, I thought it would be good to share with the community the rules the game applies when it decides whether or not to lay down the Law.

In the event of a collision each driver is given an impact rating, this is generated from the following variables:

Open Wheel or not, open wheelers are more sensitive and will penalise rear shunts more, for example.

Impacts size in proportion to the mass of the vehicle is considered, small impacts are ignored.

Going the wrong way, if either car is going the wrong way when the other isn't then it blames them.

Percentage of time braking in the 3 seconds prior to impact, the more you're braking the more you're considered to be trying to avoid the impact and thus you're penalised less.

Deviation from ideal speed, if you're travelling way faster than is expected at that point on the track then you're considered more likely to be driving dangerously, amount of braking is factored into this as a mitigating factor.

Amount of swerve compared to the degree of swerve of the racing line, if the racing line is dead straight and your swerving across the track it considers this more dangerous and likewise if the racing line goes round a corner and you're ignoring the turn then that adds to the rating too.

Is either car considered behind the other? Based on where the cars are on the track it tries to work out which (if any) are behind, the rear car is more heavily penalised.

If the difference between the ratings is big enough and the absolute rating is big enough then penalise the highest rated driver.

These were balanced so that shunting someone from the rear should get you a flag, but if they're swerving around (or across) the track or otherwise driving erratically then it becomes a more difficult decision. At some level of erratic behaviour the blame switches over to the car in front.
www.codemasters.com

Here is why the ToCA 3 engine sound for your car sometimes breaks:

"RD2 uses a looped, memory resident sample system whereas RD3 uses long sweeps that have to be spooled real-time from the DVD.

The engine sounds can only cut out if the DVD fails to read that sector of the disk, which is much more likely with old and worn decks, dirty lenses, scratched disks or DVD-R's (much higher error rates). Read errors happen all the time, even on new DVDs and decks, but the decks are designed to cope with this. We also buffer the sound ahead of when it is needed and so can experience a large number of read fails (around 20 I believe) before any dropouts occur.

If dropouts do happen, you will lose car engine audio for a few seconds before a backup looped system (used for other AI cars) takes over. The spooled system then picks up again when the read errors drop. You can test this by playing the game and taking the disk out. The engines will stop before the looped system takes over." Codemasters

FINALLY one of the stores around here got this in for the xbox!!! I will have it tonight after work but might not get a chance to play until really late tonight or tomorrow. At least I will have it. :)

Back