Top Gear Comparo Thread.

• Thread starter fbccars924
  • 1,045 comments
Here is my picture of the mileage in a .zip file. Photobuckets has finally gone off the deep end and I don't think I can use them anymore.

Attachments

• Honda-Beat-Mileage.zip
    469.7 KB · Views: 10
Here is my picture of the mileage in a .zip file. Photobuckets has finally gone off the deep end and I don't think I can use them anymore.
Check out Dropbox. I signed up b/c I can upload music that folks can stream w/o downloading. Of course it does photos too.

A little over 14 hours to go before final submissions are due for this round and you'll be eligible for the :gtplanet: equivalent of the Polar Challenge / Botswana Special / Camino del Muerte experience and final round of Microcar Mayhem. Mwuhuhahahah! :scared:
Hopefully someone has Comparo 16 in the making too. I've run out of ideas for now, but I will sleep on it.
sleepgo.gif

I returned my Mazda to the garage with precisely 37880.0 miles on the odometer.

I also note that one inch man above has his odometer in kilometers. By my understanding GT4 will convert that to 56124.875 miles?

I also note that one inch man above has his odometer in kilometers. By my understanding GT4 will convert that to 56124.875 miles?

Sorry. I should have known that the milage was supposed to be given in miles not km.
Yes, in the garage screen it says 56124.9miles, if I change tha units.

Magic! Everyone submitted by deadline, so here we go with...

Round 5. Putting The Power To Good Use. Scoring!

Your tuned and improved cars were sent back to the dry track at Tsukuba to see what a difference you'd made to them, here's the scoring story. You'll get 10 points for every second quicker you went. (Differences in times will be rounded up or down to the nearest integer second.)

1st
diahatsu.gif
Midget '63 - tricd04 - 953 1'25.537 is a 26.225s improvement over the initial 1'51.762 lap = 260 points
2nd
mazda.gif
Autozam AZ-1 '92 - Car-less - 858 1'15.031 is a 9.592s improvement over the initial 1'24.623 lap = 100 points
3rd
fiat.gif
500R '72 - shotamagee - 814 1'16.811 is a 24.861s improvement over the initial 1'41.672 lap = 250 points
4th
honda.gif
Beat Version Z '93 - BH-21 - 730 1'16.165 is a 10.152s improvement over the initial 1'26.317 lap = 100 points
5th
honda.gif
Beat Version F '92 - one inch man - 682 1'14.288 is a 9.302s improvement over the initial 1'23.590 lap = 90 points

subaru.gif
360 '58 - Smallhorses - 917 1'20.170 is a 25.831s improvement over the initial 1'46.001 lap = 260 points

mazda.gif
Carol 360 Deluxe '62 - AndersonG22 Withdrawn.

And so, with just 1 round left to go, the plucky little 3-wheeler has taken the lead again, the older cars benefiting from the improvements more than the newer ones which were already fairly close to our WPR targets to begin with, and it sees the 2 Beats, which're undoubtably the quickest cars in the lineup drop to last, but with the monster mountain ahead still to climb. Will their swift ascent see them overcome this challenge and conquer the Microcar-Mayhem! Title? Who knows?
Keep watching, it's time for something that's never been attempted in :gtplanet:'s Top Gear Comparos as yet, we're going to measure your car's fuel economy!...

Round 6.
tgc15banner3.jpg

Everyone knows that the pinnacle of MR motoring is the F1 car. 👍
Sure these things are lightning quick, but they're not really too economical. 👎
"Stiggy-san" was allowed to complete 30 laps of Twin Ring Motegi Super-Speedway in a rather lovely looking Black F1 car with default settings except that he has all the driver aids turned off, since it is well known that "Stiggy-san"'s right foot already contains all the driver aids that could forseeably be needed.
It didn't go well.
The F1, while taking only ~14 minutes to complete the 30 laps, used 51 units of fuel in 46.5 miles (or 0.91 miles per unit!) and 2 sets of R3 tyres in doing so!
This is hardly the "economy" we were looking for. So we put him back into his tuned 2CV.
(Actually we had to force him, kicking and screaming back into the 2CV after his F1 experience as he really didn't want to get out!)
There's a 127 lap F1 race going on at the Super-Speedway this week, and a spare grid spot. The F1 guys will be quicker than you.
A lot. :dunce:
They've graciously agreed, however, for you to use some of their trackspace to perform an economy run as long as you stay the 🤬 out of their way and avoid damaging their multi-million Cr cars.

This is how things work:
Take your tuned car (still leaving your Max Speed settings untouched, as hopefully you'll come somewhat close to needing that speed here) and go to Extreme Hall F1 GT World Championship event (Race 2) at Twin Ring Motegi Super-Speedway.
Run the first 30 laps of the event, staying out of the way of the F1s (It's advisable to stick avidly close to the grass inside the white lines through the turns, stay left of the left white line down the backstraight and to hug the lefthand pitwall down the pitstraight, but beware of the cars exiting the pits if you come across them there, in which case stay high up and out of their way.)
At the end of lap 30 (hopefully your S3 tyres at your non-stellar speeds will have easily lasted this long :P) enter the pits, click OK immediately to accept the pitlane defaults and then pause the game (use Start button) as soon as your car is up on it's jacks and the fuel gauge is displayed. You'll need to pause before the refuelling begins.
Record the number of fuel units consumed and your fastest displayed laptime before exiting the race, probably some 40 laps behind the 5 F1 cars! :scared:
Now go back to your garage screen and once again record the exact final mileage showing for your car.
You must also, honestly, report any contacts with the F1s. Hopefully you've been careful and kept an eye on them coming up behind you and observed them closing in on the circuit map so they won't surprise you, but you will lose points for damaging their F1 cars, and it'll be pretty apparent by your suddenly monstrously fast fastest laptime (being shunted up to 160mph has a drastic effect on times!) if you're being honest or not! :sly:
(We know the rough top speed of your cars, and the distance around 1 lap of this track, so it's pretty easy to calculate what speed you'd have to be doing to complete a given laptime!)
(If you have to restart the race because you want to for any reason, that's fine, but you must go back to your garage screen and get your new starting mileage recorded. Having an accurate mileage is a key to the economy test!)

Once we'd strapped (& stapled & duct-taped, to stop him escaping back to the F1!) "Stiggy-san" back into the 2CV, he was sent out to complete this test too.
Once again you'll compare results to his. (Now you know what the 2CV in the first round picture was up to!!! ;))

You need to post in this thread: Your fastest laptime (preferably without AI contact), your starting mileage (if different from the ones you've already declared in the thread above this challenge), your ending mileage and the number of fuel units you used (80 - whatever shows up when you pause the game on the jacks before any fuel goes in) and the number (if any) of AI contacts.

Since this challenge will take around 25 - 35 minutes to complete, this round will have a 96 hour deadline, in case there are any real masochists out there (like me) that want to have more than 1 go at this! (Yeah, I had to test 3 cars at this, and will run the comparison Subie too!!!)

Get to it hypermilers!!! :D

Deadline for submission by in this thread is 5:55PM Pacific Time Tuesday Sept 27th.

Last edited:
First off, staying anywhere near the inside of any of the curves is asking for trouble. If you do you are guarentied to be hit more then once in this challenge. If you go high in the curves and stay inside on the straights you can avoid most if all contact. I know you have to cross the line of traffic as it were on the entrance and exit, but that is easier then trying to drive the curve down low and getting clobbered if you aren't in the grass. All of my contact was using the inside of the curves.

Pitted on lap 26 due to tire wear on the right rear it was undriveable anymore.
Best Lap Time: 0'52.609
Mileage: 43266.8
Fuel When I pitted: 73 (Lap 26)
I drove the full 30 after pitting.

Hit record:
Lap 1
Small Curve

Lap 6
Small Curve

Lap 13
Exit of Big Curve - minor brush

Lap 24
Near Exit of Large Curve, after recording, got hit again by following car.

Lap 25
Large Curve

Lap 27
Exiting the Large Curve

I was also pushed out of the Pitts.

You may have to run this again BH-21, it's essential for the economy calculation that I know your exact mileage for 30 laps in the pitlane, and the fuel used at that point.
Since I now only have a final mileage, but a fuel usage at 26 laps for you, that'll give a false result which is unusable.
It should help you to reduce the number of AI collisions too, which would be costly, now you know what to expect.
I'm also surprised about the tyre wear, I didn't have too much trouble with my test cars, but it's worth noting that if you're pushing really hard and you're hearing tyre-squeal in the bends and getting rear-end slippage, that's a major indicator that you're cooking the tyres too much. Might be worth slowing a little for the 2nd bend to avoid that. The Beats seem a little faster than I'd expected them to be though, so that could be a factor.
Bear in mind that we're not going to be scored on how long it takes to complete 30 laps though, just your fastest laptime, fuel economy & number of AI contacts (the latter will obviously be a negative score, just in case anyone is reading this and thinking about getting punted a lot!!!!)

Second Attempt

I hugged the outer wall except for a few times to dodge traffic. As the tires wore this got to be harder to do. The main difficulty with hugging the outer wall is the exit of the large curve onto the back straight.

Pitted on lap 30. Tire on the right rear was shot and bear to limp around.
Best Lap Time: 0'52.575
Mileage: 43,266.8 (Starting) 43,314.1 (Ending)
Fuel When I pitted: 72 (Lap 30)

Hit record:
Lap 13
Back Straightaway

Lap 17
Exit Large Curve

Lap 29
Main Straight away - because of tire wear car was hard to control

Ok stats required first,

Start mileage: 46.9miles (75.1km)
End Mileage: 93.9miles (150.3km)
Fastest Lap: 57.193
AI Contact: 0
Wall contacts: 1-5 (very minor)
Fuel Used: 7 units

Other Info
Race time at end of 30th lap: 30:33.504

Report:
I figured out that as long as the F1's were single file then the Fiat was skinny enough to stay on the right all the way around. (and I'd pick up about 1mph from a little drafting) And I figured this would provide better tyre wear, and increase the distance I traveled as well.
Anyway for the first 14 laps I just rim rode the track occasional jumping to the inside when the F1 pack approached on the straights.
I then pitted on lap 14 for some new tyres, so that when I tried to improve my best lap time towards the end the tyres wouldn't be stuffed.
Then from about lap 18 onwards (now that my fuel was so much lower, lol) I started doing 1 lap on the far inside to try to lower my best lap, and then spent the next lap building momentum back up to have another shot on the next lap.
So lap 28 was my best lap. (lap times were approx 1:00.200 when running on the outside of the track then approx 57.500 when only low)

PS. Also if you pit mid race for tyres, you have to change the refill option to 'No' as pointed out by Smallhorses, but when you make your stop on lap 30 make sure you choose 'Yes' to refill then prepare to pause, or else you don't get a fuel used read out and have to do the the whole damn thing again like I did.:dunce:

Initial Mileage: 109.6 miles

Collisions:
Lap 15 - midway through the second turn I got nailed by the last F1 car.

Fastest no-contact lap time: 1'09.647
Fastest displayed lap time: 1'08.718
Gas units left when in pits: 75
Gas units used: 5
Ending Garage Screen Mileage: 155.8
Fuel Economy: 46.2 miles/5 units of gas = 9.24 miles/unit

I found it easier to run high in the turns to preserve my outside rear tyre.
Lap 12; running high through the final turn I was sideswiped by a black & yelow FGT at the exit. Laptime 59.3xx
Lap 21; without a gap in the traffic to allow me to go high, I took to the grass to avoid the orange FGT who was far over the white line. Laptime 58.7
Also, occasional light wall scuffs while trying to avoid a repeat of lap 12.

Pitted at the end of lap 30, Total time 29:49.620, Fastest lap 57.987, Fuel remaining 74/80, Fuel used 6/80.
Returned to my garage, final odometer reading 37926.6.

Technically "yes", but I've not prepared final results yet due to a heavy workload, so go ahead.
I won't get the results up tonight as it's approaching midnight and I'm due in a 7:30am meeting tomorrow :yuck:, so the results will be coming tomorrow night.
I'll deduct 10 points for a late entry, but your quick Beat should easily overcome that, especially if you manage to avoid the F1s for a full 30 laps! :mischievous:
If you do end up having to pit for tyres, ensure you follow exactly what shotamagee mentioned above and select "No" for fuel, but don't forget to select "Yes" for fuel when you pit for the mandatory stop at the end of lap 30 so you can get a fuel unit readout or you have to do it all over again! :ouch:

Last edited:
Ok, here we go.
Had no contact with the formula cars, changing lines got me into their draft more than twice, but I never gained more than I lost sliding to avoid them, if anything. Best lap time was 50.782 on lap 26, pitted on lap 20 to change tires, went out and mixed up the handbrake and upchange twice. That should have cost me about 2-3sec.
Pitting in on lap 30 showed that I used 7 units of fuel (73/80 left).
The replay I saved says the economy run took 26'56.732. But when reading the fuel meter it was more like 27'03.000.
Final mileage: 56173.8, but I had to start again, after a formula car crashed into me after 3/4s of the first lap on the first try, sticking to the inside, which equates to 1.4miles.

Racewise I found it not hard to avoid the other cars, as they mainly stayed in 3 groups, with enough space in between to change from the inside of the track to the outside.

Sorry this has taken so long in arriving, yesterday turned out to be a 14hr workday so I wasn't too motivated to do anything when I got in at 9:30PM last night. That said, here's some final scores for you...

Round 6. Economy Drive! Scoring!

So, still sulky "Stiggy-san" was eventually cajoled into providing us with the following data for the Citroen 2CV Type A '54:
Starting miles: 107.7 Ending miles: 153.1 Total miles: 45.4 Fastest Lap: 1'04.953 Fuel Used: 6 units Economy = 7.57 miles per unit. He was also able to avoid being hit by the AI cars.
Let's see how your data stacks up?
Score 10 points for every rounded second you are faster that the 2CVs fastest lap, +10 points for every rounded mile per unit more economical you were than the 2CV or -10 points for every mile per unit less economical. You'll also lose 10 points per AI contact.
1st
mazda.gif
Autozam AZ-1 '92 - Car-less - 920 Fastest lap: 57.987 = 6.966s quicker = 70 points. Economy = 7.77 miles per unit = 0.2 miles per unit better = 2 points. 1 AI contact = -10 points.
2nd
diahatsu.gif
Midget '63 - tricd04 - 913 Fastest lap: 1'09.647 = 4.694s slower = -47 points. Economy = 9.24 miles per unit = 1.67 miles per unit better = 17 points. 1 AI contact = -10 points.
3rd
fiat.gif
500R '72 - shotamagee - 883 Fastest lap: 57.193 = 7.760s quicker = 78 points. Economy = 6.71 miles per unit = 0.86 miles per unit worse = -9 points. 0 AI contacts = 0 points.
4th
honda.gif
Beat Version Z '93 - BH-21 - 807 Fastest lap: 52.575 = 12.378s quicker = 124 points. Economy = 5.91 miles per unit = 1.66 miles per unit worse = -17 points. 3 AI contacts = -30 points.
5th
honda.gif
Beat Version F '92 - one inch man - 806 Fastest lap: 50.782 = 14.171s quicker = 142 points. Economy = 6.79 miles per unit = 0.78 miles per unit worse = -8 points. 0 AI contacts = 0 points. (-10 points for late submission)

subaru.gif
360 '58 - Smallhorses - 979 Fastest lap: 1'02.424 = 2.529s quicker = 25 points. Economy = 11.28 miles per unit = 3.71 miles per unit better = 37 points. 0 AI contacts = 0 points.

mazda.gif
Carol 360 Deluxe '62 - AndersonG22 Withdrawn.

And so, the winner after 6 rounds, and 11 scoring items, by a slender 7 point margin is:
Car-less!

A tight finish at the bottom of the table too where just 1 point separates BH-21 from one inch man after the latter's 10 point late submission penalty! :eek:

As requested by shotamagee, here's the table of scoring broken down by driver and round (in no particular order) as well as my 2 test cars, the Midget & the Autozam.

Code:
Final Scores:												
	        Length	 cc    cyls  Tsuk N1  Tsuk Wet	WPR  Max mph Tsuk S3 Mot. Lap Economy Contacts Totals
[COLOR="SandyBrown"]Test Midget 	810	120	10	-48	-117	-30	-48	280	-23	15	0	969
Test Autozam	485	-232	-10	222	-29	-72	204	100	113	-10	-20	751[/COLOR]
Car-less	485	-232	-10	219	-28	26	298	100	70	2	-10	920
one inch man	485	-231	-10	230	-88	-171	377	90	142	-8	-10	806
Shotamagee	710	-169	0	49	-99	-53	126	250	78	-9	0	883
BH-21	        485	-231	-10	202	-93	-74	351	100	124	-17	-30	807
tricd04	        810	120	10	-52	-111	-25	-59	260	-47	17	-10	913
[COLOR="SandyBrown"]Smallhorses	790	69	0	6	-129	-97	18	260	25	37	0	979[/COLOR]

So there you have it! 👍
Hope you all enjoyed this, and if you don't mind, leave a little feedback too. Did you all like the challenge descriptions and buildup, or did you just want me to shut up & get on to what the next driving task was? :lol:

Whose challenge is next? :D

Firstly congrats to Car-less for taking out the round.

Secondly thanks to Smallhorses for the break down, and for hosting.
The finish was pretty close between two very different cars so the scoring system must have worked pretty well (thankfully the Midget didn't win; no offence tricd04).
The challenges and descriptions were interesting and I can tell a fair bit of planning was put into this; so well done, I can't really fault anything.

hosting; pass I've got no ideas at the moment.

Last edited:
Congrats to Car-less! :)

A well done round Smallhorses, I had my doubts about round 6 but it seemed to work out ok in the end.

Ah, I was betting on the Midget, they always win well except in James Bond 'Man with the Golden Gun'. ;)

Thanks Smallhorses, this was a great challenge to compete in. The point system was great - I was waiting the entire time to fall behind too far to be competitive, and I wasn't. Really, I liked all the extra talk more than just getting to the point.

Congrats for getting the win, Car-less. It was close... Darn FGT's...:ouch:

The finish was pretty close between two very different cars so the scoring system must have worked pretty well (thankfully the Midget didn't win; no offence tricd04).

None taken, Shot. Although, it would have been pretty interesting to see the three-wheeled beast win something, for once!

Is there anybody interested in bringing this back? I would love to do more of these challenges, but I'm not the best person to organize the challenges, because I never know when I got time for these things. Anybody interested?

There still was no used FWD Coupes comparison? I had that idea a long time ago, even made a list of suitable cars :) I think I *could* host it, but I'm not too good at thinking of the challenges.

Give it a go. See some old challenges and try to have some ideas of you own. At the end we will see if you are good for hosting the challenges.

Back