Top Gear Comparo Thread.

• Thread starter fbccars924
  • 1,045 comments
I don't think I should. My pc is dying once again(lots of random restarts and strange errors). It wouldn't be very good if I'd be left without communication while hosting a comparison.

Hey guys, it's good to see this thing is still going. After I get permanent web access I will be starting another one on the gt5 forum. Also, If anyone is interested I'm also going to be starting a race team as well at that time. Feel free to drop in and/or pm me if you want to know what we are doing and future ideas.

I don't have GT5, so I'll host a challenge. You have 72 Hours to find yourself a 2.0 Liter Front Wheel Drive Road Car. You have $25,000 in cash to spend and have been approved for an additional $25,000 loan. Post your car selection, price, garage HP, and weight. Make no modifications to your car, yet.

images

Car: Mazda Mazda 323F '93
Mileage: 67200.3 km
Price: 6,971 Cr
Garage HP: 159hp on garage list (157hp in garage - car rotation mode)
Weight: 1240 kg

*No picture available*

Car: Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '99
Displacement: 1998cc
Drivetrain: FF
Mileage: 24,545.3 miles
Price: 14,039 Cr
Weight: 1,150
Garage HP: 181hp

Last edited:
6904852250_17400ca560_m.jpg

Car: Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '95
Displacement: 1997cc
Mileage: 69273.4Km
Price: 7,496 Cr
HP: 201 BHP

Car: Mazda Protege '02
Displacement: 1991cc
Mileage: 0.0 miles
Price: 18,980 Cr
Weight: 1170
Garage HP: 165hp

I'm going to post points for car selections and Challenge #1 now since it's not likely that we're going to gain any additional competitors.

Car Selection Points

Matej and Fabmaru gain 18 points each for coming 18k under budget.
BH-21 gains 11 points for saving 11k of his 25k.
Thc118 gains 6 points for spending nearly 19 of his 25k.

BH-21 gains 6 points for weighing in at 1150kg.
Thc118 gains 4 points for a weight of 1170kg.
Matej losses 3 points for being 30kg over the average of all eligible cars.
Fabmaru losses 12 points for his hefty 1330kg car.

Fabmaru also gains a bonus 4 points for choosing the cheapest of the four turbo'd 2.0L FF vehicles.

Results after Car Selections
Code:
BH-21     17 points
Matej     15 points
Fabmaru   10 points
Thc118    10 points

In my opinion FF cars were designed with one purpose in mind - to make driving in poor weather less dangerous and downright easy. The first two challenges will put your vehicles in the worst weather the game has to offer.

Round 1 - Hydroplaning

Our Japanese cars will first be tested on Japan's Tsukuba Circuit. To get as close to real life as possible, leave your oil black and fit N2 tires to your car. Record your first lap time and best lap time while practicing at the dry track.
The second half of this round will take place at Tsukuba after a nice spring rain. You can now change your oil and refit your S2 tires. Record your best lap time while practicing at Tsukuba Wet.

Round 2 can start as soon as all competitors post their lap times.

Last edited:
Nice, I love Tsukuba!
Just want to check something:

1.) We need to run those times at Free run (PAL) / Practice (NTSC) mode, correct ?
2.) What should we do about driving aids ?
3.) Should we post times via PM ?

Happy Easter guys!!!
rsEasterEggIcon32.jpg
images

Last edited:
1. Yes

2. It's up to you. Most of the cars probably came equipped with traction control, but with the option of turning it off.

3. Just go ahead and post your times right in the thread.

Since there's only four of us, there's no need for time deadlines. I won't be able to run my races for a couple days so everyone's got at least 'til then.

Last edited:
Hey BH

I wasn't very clear but you were supposed to run the N2's at Tsukuba dry. I'm using these times as a base line for comparing the cars. If you saved your game after changing the oil, it's going to be nearly impossible to run the race. If you aren't able to, I can use your wet times to estimate the dry times.

Also your S2 time confuses me. More power and more grip resulted in a slower time. That's not at all what I would expect. Since you were allowed, but not required to change oil and run S2's, your best time with N2's can be used for the time at Tsukuba wet. ;)

Tsukuba Dry (N2 tyres):
First Lap: 1'17.913
Best Lap: 1'16.555

Tsukuba Wet (S2 tyres, oiling):
Best Lap: 1'21.385

Very good car with decent engine, too bad we don't have 323 4wd versions from GT2... :(

Don't bother trying to convert my N2 times. It just happened to rain while I was doing my run.

I should of paid closer attention.

Tsukuba Dry (N2 tyres):
First Lap: 1'16.611
Best Lap: 1'16.378

Tsukuba Wet (S2 tyres, after oil change):
Best Lap:1'20.728

Round 1 Results

Thc118 gains 4 points with a time of 1'20.174
Fabmaru gains 3 points with a time of 1'20.728
BH-21 gains 2 points with a time of 1'21.295
Matej gains 1 point with a time of 1'21.385

Fabmaru gains 4 points for averaging just 5.18 kph slower in the rain.
Thc118 gains 3 points for averaging 5.35 kph slower in the rain.
Matej gains 2 points for being 5.69 kph faster on the dry track.
BH-21 didn't enjoy a single sunny day during his stay in Japan.

Fabmaru gains 4 bonus points for being the most consistent on N2 tires.

Results after Round 1
Code:
Fabmaru   21 points
BH-21     19 points
Matej    18 points
Thc118    17 points

Round 2 - It'S no(w) Fun!

You'll be chasing down the BMW 2002 Turbo, a 2.0 L classic that looks right at home in the snow. If you manage to post an equal time, you'll be awarded with 10 points. You will gain 5 extra points per second faster, and lose 2 points for each second slower. Run your laps at Ice Arena - Practice/Free Run. Record and post your first and best laps. There will be a .500 second penalty for each wall touch. Feel the relative ease in reaching your 0'55.000 goal.

3rd gear? I was still about 2k under redline in 2nd going into turn 1.
Your sports car hasn't fared very well so far, has it? Fortunately, the next round or two will be better suited for it.

3rd Gear in my transmission is a complete lemon. The transmission is fine untill I have to shift up to next gear. It has a lag before it engages then it is slow to accelerate. If I could modifiy this car, guess what gets changed first. ;)

I looked so good on paper or computer screen.

Ice Arena:
First Lap: 0'58.472 - Clean
Best Lap: 0'56.857 - 1 hit

All corners were cleared using 2nd gear only. 👍

Round 2 Results

Fabmaru gains 9 points with a time of 55.352
Thc118 gains 7 points with a time of 56.475
Matej gains 5 points with a time of 57.357
BH-21 gains 1 point with a time of 59.588

BH-21 gains 4 bonus points for improving his lap time the most.

Results after Round 2
Code:
Fabmaru   30 points
Thc118    24 points
BH-21     24 points
Matej    23 points

Round 3 - The bigger they are, the harder they Fall.

Now that you have a handle on what your cars are capable of, let's see how they do in a real racing situation. To me, our cars all seem somewhat feminine, either as a young girl's car or a mom's grocery-getter. For that reason you'll be able to spend the remaining portion of your initial $25,000 for upgrades of your choice including wings but excluding nitrous. You can also trade points for extra cash at the rate of 1 point for $1,000, but beware!! Only points will determine the victor.

With its many directional changes and mid-speed corners, Autumn Ring will test the limits of your modified FF vehicles. Post your newly acquired upgrades and your best time at the Family Cup +3 difficulty.

To save you the hassle of calculating,
Matej has 18029 to spend.
Fabmaru has 17504.
BH-21 has 10961.
Thc118 has 6020.

Last edited:
Couple of questions:
1.) Does all players drive on same tyres or they also go to budget expense ?
2.) Washing our vehicle goes to budget expense, right ?
3.) Should we post our expenses ?

Back