Top Gear Test Track in Gran Turismo 5!

• Thread starter amar212
  • 541 comments
And TopGear official site says 900 cars for GT5.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2368/

BTW Nice pic of track there:

large.jpg

This is amazing news! Especially for a lot of people who don't get the current show's broadcasts.... but more so to have the test track in the game.

What's interesting is if they are saying "2008" maybe they have confidence that GT5 really will be ready before 2009.

Also, seeing as GT-TV is not only a feature in GT5:P, but even the demo as well. I'll bet Top Gear will be available for download on GT5:P as well. 👍

Great news, and +REP again!

And TopGear official site says 900 cars for GT5.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2368/
:eek:

Well this is the GT series so we really shouldn't hold our breath for a 2008 release, granted it would be awesome if it happened, but after four installments we should all know better by now. And 900 cars is amazing, I mean ya there will be several of the same type of car with different models thrown in there, like 30 different Skylines, but that is still quite a large number.

YES! That's so awesome... Although I hope they keep it grassy around the track - I'd rather like to spin off into that rather than hit a barrier.

Grassy and bumpy. I also hope that they let the cars go on to two wheels in GT5, like Michael Gambon managed in the Suzuki.

+Rep to Amar. And :drool:

Have I ever mentioned I love Gran Turismo? Every rendition, every game, I just love it more and more.

My only fear is; that with 700 cars to just play with I have only completed 50% in GT4. What will I do with 900 cars in GT5? I'll probably never manage to go online because I will be checking out all the different cars.

As someone who only catches the show by luck, How is this track going to be a big deal other then because its on a TV show.

The maps of it wouldn't impress me to the point that I must drive a car on it. Please fill us in on why this track will be fun to drive?

As someone who only catches the show by luck, How is this track going to be a big deal other then because its on a TV show.

The maps of it wouldn't impress me to the point that I must drive a car on it. Please fill us in on why this track will be fun to drive?
Well, as the article on Top Gear's site says, they receive daily email from people saying that they could beat the Stig's times on their test track. So, it is now time to try it out.

That and the fact that no other game will have the track used by the show many consider to be the best car show on the planet.

Sounds great, let's hope it happens. That will be just one more place for us to test the accuracy of GT5's lap times.
Now we just need Spa and Ebisu. Spa I mention because it's such a well known track and Ebisu I mention for the same reason plus it often acts as a Best Motoring shootout track. 👍

Well, this news woke me up! Quite astonished actually. I'm looking forward to the Top Gear eisodes. Can we keep them on the HDD?

Yes Spa would be very nice to have.

The reason I'm pleased to get the Top Gear track is because it's from the show and it sounds like fun. I don't think it's a particularly great track, unlike Spa, it's just fun to compare times with the stars and the Stig.

Sounds great, let's hope it happens. That will be just one more place for us to test the accuracy of GT5's lap times.:
True, but there will always be a big difference between how driving in real life and virtually effect lap times. When you are driving a very expensive car in real life you are less likely to drive right up to the edge of what the car is capable of doing. In a game, all you have to do is start over.

Virtual drivers also have other advantages like lack of the physical abuse you take when pushing a high performance car to its limits and how that impacts lap times.

Virtual drivers also have the opportunity to run thousands of laps on a track... and no cost to them but time. Real race car drivers generally have very limited track time due to cost, access, time, etc.

So even if the virtual cars perform identically to their real life counterparts, the tracks are modeled to infinite precision, all combined with the most realistic physics engines ever made... experienced virtual drivers will beat the best times from real drivers.

Still, its all about having fun, and having the opportunity to pretend your The Stig is likely going to appeal to millions of TG fans! 👍

In fact, how cool would it be if PD adds an optional racing suit when driving on that track?

In fact, how cool would it be if PD adds an optional racing suit when driving on that track?

Sounds great 👍 would be cool if you could play the stigs audio collections also haha :lol: hammering round the test track listening to old classical music :sly:

This is a great bit of news! .. are the Veyron and Koenig in GT5 btw?

This is fab news! Totally bonkers and quite bizarre, but a very welcome oddity into what was in danger of becoming a bit sterile...

Agreed regarding accuracy of lap times. In GT4 people swore up and down the N2 tires were the most realistic but I managed to demolish the real world Z06 Ring record on N2s. :indiff:
Of course that's a direct result of the problems listed above regarding virtual driving.

In any case, I'm glad to see the TG track making its way onto GT5.
Spa, as others have mentioned would be great as well but that's something for the track wish list thread. 👍 (the same can be said for Ebisu as well... which, frankly, I would rather have than Spa). (dodges tomatos) :sly:

Btw, it is possible to replicate real world driving in GT games, a good start is to keep all four tires on the track at all times, limit rumble strip use, and always practice realistic braking techniques (instead of slamming down on them at the perfect last second and hoping you don't understeer past the turn).
Using that philosophy I've seen many Tsukuba laps that were very, VERY, similar to real world Best Motoring Time Trials. 👍

Well, as the article on Top Gear's site says, they receive daily email from people saying that they could beat the Stig's times on their test track. So, it is now time to try it out.

That and the fact that no other game will have the track used by the show many consider to be the best car show on the planet.

AH...I'll try to get myself in the loop then. It looks like should try to set my DVR up to start recording the shows on BBC. I saw a episode in which they did a top speed test on the Veyron just a few nights ago. Just one more thing that this silly GT game will do to expand my car knowledge.

Just one more thing that this silly GT game will do to expand my car knowledge.

That's the goal I think. 👍
It seems I remember talk of GT4 being like an encyclopedia of car knowledge and I'm sure PD wants to expand on that concept.
Bringing Best Motoring and Top Gear to PD's GT world is a great move and an especially innovative one for those who haven't been exposed to the programs mentioned.

Of course, this also presents the problem of having exposure without proper coverage... That is to say...
Top Gear and Best Motoring are not going to shy away from Lamborgini and Porsche, nor will they ignore amazingly well tuned Touge cars and track day specials simply because PD can't afford or will not take the time to include them in GT5.

I remember thinking the Tuner hall had some great offerings when I saw GT4 originally. Then I got really big into Best Motoring and found out simple facts like Amuse tunes a Supra RZ called the Amuse Supra and Mine's has and will tune an Evo from every generation. With great cars like the Mine's Evo 8, the Amuse Supra, and the HKS R34 all being ignored I couldn't help but feel like PD really skimped out on the tuned cars.
Hopefully this time around, with the increased exposure to TG and BM, PD will be sure to include all the great cars tested and raced by TG and BM. 👍

I'm not expecting miracles like Lambo in GT5 but I'd love to see atleast all of the great tuners from brands already included in the GT series. :cheers:

That's the goal I think. 👍
It seems I remember talk of GT4 being like an encyclopedia of car knowledge and I'm sure PD wants to expand on that concept.
That was what Kaz, in an interview around the time of GT2, said his ultimate vision of the GT series is.

I believe we are obviously just one step closer with including shows that include testing and reviews. Reading a magazine with testing stats is one thing, but actually seeing a car perform during the testing gives you an appreciation of what those statistics mean.

Thanks for the news amar212 👍

Top gear test track
40 episodes of top gear on GT-TV
900 cars in GT5

I'm surprised announcments like this are coming so early. That means there is plenty more to come

I think Ferrari's test track, Fiorano, is pretty much a lock now as well.

Personally I'm just waiting on them to announce Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Brand Hatch. The locations have been seen in the GT World Map, and so far every location has sprung forth a track

What other surprises do they have in hand?

So far this is looking like easily the greatest Gran Turismo ever 👍

How the hell can they model 900 cars in 2 years? That's impossible. They even said on their website that each car in GT5 Prologue took 6 months to complete. They must have a graphics art staff numbering in the thousands!

Great to hear Top gear and the TG Test Track are confirmed though.

How the hell can they model 900 cars in 2 years? That's impossible. They even said on their website that each car in GT5 Prologue took 6 months to complete. They must have a graphics art staff numbering in the thousands!

Well I think the 6 months figure means 6 months worth of man power. If 30 designers are making 30 seperate cars then they can create 30 cars in 6 months. Or if 30 designers are each work on different parts of creating the car then they can still create 30 in 6 months.

900 does sound steep, but here's hoping for that many :D

Since GT5 is so much more advanced than the previous games, they've probably found faster ways of modelling the cars.

Since GT5 is so much more advanced than the previous games, they've probably found faster ways of modelling the cars.
The six months figure is what PD has said GT5 cars are taking. Kaz even mentioned it in a Car & Driver interview.

Well I think the 6 months figure means 6 months worth of man power. If 30 designers are making 30 seperate cars then they can create 30 cars in 6 months. Or if 30 designers are each work on different parts of creating the car then they can still create 30 in 6 months.

900 does sound steep, but here's hoping for that many :D

That's what I mean. So can anyone estimate how many graphics designers must be on staff to model 900 cars in about 2 and a half years? That's like 30 cars a month. Almost a car a day. Busy bees aren't they?

Out of the 900 cars, all the cars from GT4 are already modelled. The polygon numbers in the models used in Photomode should be more than adequate. Though a little editing here and there might be done I'm sure. They'll have to do some interior work though !...

The rest should be up to GT5s internal physics engine.

Well, this news woke me up! Quite astonished actually. I'm looking forward to the Top Gear eisodes. Can we keep them on the HDD?
Yes:

Nothing is impossible, especially if you consider we do not know exactly what is involved, how much data and art work has already been completed... remember, PD was likely working on GT5 even before GT4 hit the store shelves, and of course much of the modeling work from GT4 can surely be adapted and enhanced for GT5 with not nearly as much effort.

So first of all, I'd suspect that 6 month quote referred to just new cars to the series, which granted, are likely to be many.

Second of all, all he mentions is 6 months. That could just as well, and very likely does mean a team of artists are working on many cars at once, and that it is a six month process, no matter how many are being worked on at the same time. I seriously doubt they are working on one car at a time.

Thirdly, it is a very common procedure to outsource work when working on such a large project. There is a huge industry of graphic designers and programmers that specialize in contracting work projects.

So no, it is definitely not impossible.

Personally though, there are a lot of complications that could arise with having to rush to get that many cars out in time for a release, and besides... how would they ever make up for that kind of massive production costs?

I suspect we will see GT5 release with possibly even fewer cars than GT4, and then as new cars are developed and released, players can decide for themselves which ones they want, and for their to be some cost associated with that.

Obviously it is all far too soon to be trying to accurately guess what will happen at this point... but if their goal is 900 cars, I can't wait to see what new models make it into GT5. 👍

I wouldn't bet too much on that 900 cars figure. Those news on the Top Gear website are not more or less accurate that other news, therefore I see no need for them to be absolutely precise about a year before release. On top of that, noone said that the game will have 900 cars when it's released. Remember the download options they talked about?

Back