Top Gear Test Track in Gran Turismo 5!

• Thread starter amar212
  • 541 comments
Wow, I can't believe what I'm hearing. And who was it that said PD wasn't listening?:sly: Also, I'm shocked at the annoucement of 900 cars and at the same time thought I read "over 9000!" It makes you wonder if Lamborghini and Porsche are a no-brainer now.

Very cool news indeed... this could lead to some amazingly deep online functions too... perhaps they contracted Stig to also do virtual time trials with the same cars in GT5, then post them online in a competition forum. Would be cool to have Real vs GT5 time trials all on the same tracks, same cars, with the same driver creating the benchmark!

Wow, I can't believe what I'm hearing. And who was it that said PD wasn't listening?:sly: Also, I'm shocked at the annoucement of 900 cars and at the same time thought I read "over 9000!" It makes you wonder if Lamborghini and Porsche are a no-brainer now.
I don't think the number of cars was ever keeping Lamborghini and Porsche from being in GT, but rather exclusive license agreements. As there has been no hint that that has changed; I would be very surprised, although pleasantly surprised, to see any cars from Lamborghini and Porsche in GT5.

Very cool news indeed... this could lead to some amazingly deep online functions too... perhaps they contracted Stig to also do virtual time trials with the same cars in GT5, then post them online in a competition forum. Would be cool to have Real vs GT5 time trials all on the same tracks, same cars, with the same driver creating the benchmark!
That's a brilliant idea! :cheers:

I don't think the number of cars was ever keeping Lamborghini and Porsche from being in GT, but rather exclusive license agreements.

Well I mean as in with that amount of the cars, likely hood of Lamborghini and Porsche(ironically,connected to VAG whose cars have been featured on GT includes Audi, Bentley and seat) being there. I have no doubt with EA and Microsoft on an aquistion spree, that licensing has been a issue.

Digital-Nitrate
As there has been no hint that that has changed; I would be very surprised, although pleasantly surprised, to see any cars from Lamborghini and Porsche in GT5.
I don't have much expectation for them to make it, but would dearly love to see them.

Personally I'm just waiting on them to announce Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Brand Hatch. The locations have been seen in the GT World Map, and so far every location has sprung forth a track

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've already debunked IMS for the time-being in favor of another speedway, not that anyone noticed.

Another observation concerning the Gamepro video...

Once again looking at the map in the top right corner of the map, I saw the name "Speedway." We'd all been speculating that it referred to Speedway, Indiana, where IMS is located. However, the red dot representing Speedway is still in the southeast US. I opened up Google Earth and did a search for Speedway, Alabama, since Talladega is there, and the dot seemed to be in the Mississippi/Alabama region. Sure enough, there is a marker for Speedway, Alabama, and just southeast of the marker is Talladega Superspeedway.

Speculate further as you wish. :)

http://gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/137948.shtml

Thats brilliant! However at the same time it's not...

speedster502
If GT5 has TG Test Track, which I highly doubt, I will marry a PS3. Please feel free to take me up on that as well.

Some of you might remember that post...sadly...

If I remember correctly from their first episode, the Top Gear Test Track was actually designed by Lotus in an attempt to offer up necessary challenges to push cars to their handling limits.

I would like to take just a second to have everyone slow down and take a deep breath.

Now, please make sure you are seated before I say this.

Kaz himself has talked about time to render cars and that we should expect less cars in GT5. Granted, that was before things were delayed...again. But it is entirely possible that we could have less cars (say 400-500) and then the rest be DLC. The planned number could be what PD has licensing and data on, but that does not mean they will be completely rendered by the time GT5 is finally released. It could be that we can expect a final total of over 900 cars.

Just a thought to slow all the hype down and hopefully avoid large disappointments. I would absolutely hate to have to sort through the multiple threads and posts of the usual disappointees complaining because they were promised 900 out of the box, when that has not been done.

There that is out of the way and I can quote myself next year when the tears start flowing.

Continue with the cargasms and speculations.

Some of you might remember that post...sadly...

I know I do:sly:

speedster502
If GT5 has TG Test Track, which I highly doubt, I will marry a PS3.

Hahaha, well, I've got my suit ready. May as well get the other arrangements going. Would anyone like to be his best man?:sly:

Nothing is impossible, especially if you consider we do not know exactly what is involved, how much data and art work has already been completed... remember, PD was likely working on GT5 even before GT4 hit the store shelves, and of course much of the modeling work from GT4 can surely be adapted and enhanced for GT5 with not nearly as much effort.

So first of all, I'd suspect that 6 month quote referred to just new cars to the series, which granted, are likely to be many.

Second of all, all he mentions is 6 months. That could just as well, and very likely does mean a team of artists are working on many cars at once, and that it is a six month process, no matter how many are being worked on at the same time. I seriously doubt they are working on one car at a time.

Thirdly, it is a very common procedure to outsource work when working on such a large project. There is a huge industry of graphic designers and programmers that specialize in contracting work projects.

So no, it is definitely not impossible.

Personally though, there are a lot of complications that could arise with having to rush to get that many cars out in time for a release, and besides... how would they ever make up for that kind of massive production costs?

I suspect we will see GT5 release with possibly even fewer cars than GT4, and then as new cars are developed and released, players can decide for themselves which ones they want, and for their to be some cost associated with that.

Obviously it is all far too soon to be trying to accurately guess what will happen at this point... but if their goal is 900 cars, I can't wait to see what new models make it into GT5. 👍

It was only a hyperbole dude. Still, I find it astonishing that they can model a car like the new Nissan GTR before it's even unveiled. They must have insider information from the manufacturers when they do this.

Hopefully that figure will include at least 50 classic Ferraris.

Now GT fans are promised at least ONE venue from the United Kingdom. My Top Gear knowledge is still relatively low. Only Top Gear experience I have is playing the classic Top Gear racing series. But the show is something I don't know too much about. It's been only recently that I've been watching this show on BBC America. I'm usually alternating between Monday Night RAW and Top Gear on Monday nights.

But back on topic. After seeing some YouTube laps of this course (including the older Renault F1 car around this track), I must say this course seems pretty fun. Kind of like a high-speed autocross course. It's real competitive and really puts a car through its paces. I'd imagine something like would be a great dream for British GT fans. Maybe their "new standard" monacre is probably for real with the inclusion of this track. You dreamed to see this in GT? Your wish has come true. Now rub the magic lamp again, as you have two wishes left.

I would like to take just a second to have everyone slow down and take a deep breath.

Now, please make sure you are seated before I say this.

Kaz himself has talked about time to render cars and that we should expect less cars in GT5. Granted, that was before things were delayed...again. But it is entirely possible that we could have less cars (say 400-500) and then the rest be DLC. The planned number could be what PD has licensing and data on, but that does not mean they will be completely rendered by the time GT5 is finally released. It could be that we can expect a final total of over 900 cars.

Just a thought to slow all the hype down and hopefully avoid large disappointments. I would absolutely hate to have to sort through the multiple threads and posts of the usual disappointees complaining because they were promised 900 out of the box, when that has not been done.

There that is out of the way and I can quote myself next year when the tears start flowing.

Continue with the cargasms and speculations.
Well said! Someone bookmark this post for future reference. 👍

It is shame that they do not show original cut of TG in US.(does not give you full picture of program)
We do. BBC America shows each episode in their original format, only they are about seven episodes behind the UK broadcast schedule.

Well, that certainly is exciting news! Unfortunately that means that I must now buy a PS3, which is something that the pocket book cannot handle for quite some time. Oh well, according to the Top Gear page on the addition of the track and the TG:TV channel, we're looking at Christmas 2008 for a debut... I think I can handle that eventually...

This is kind of good news and kind of bad.

Wel will all be able to try the test track - thats good!
We can test out cars just like the stig - thats good!
The stig will no longer be the best driver on the track. even though its not real its still sad to see him get beaten (if he does get beaten!!)

When we run on this track they should have the power lap board displayed in the menu! There's a few other quirks they could add too, like The Stig introduction quotes placed somewhere. They're gonna have so much fun with this!

RIGHT!!!!

This is the final straw!
I am going to learn to play a violin so I can sit on the street corners and have 10ps thrown at me.

I should have raised enough for a PS3 and GT5 by the time it comes out.

This is really great news. We get Top Gear the show and their track!

I've always wanted to drive the Top Gear Test Track, and of course try to beat the Stig.

The news about 900 cars is just over the top! How will they ever get that done!

We will have to see how that works out! 👍

I can't believe I already have to do this.

The news about 900 cars is just over the top! How will they ever get that done!

We will have to see how that works out! 👍
me from post 69 <snicker>
Don't get too excited and then disappointed when the disc doesn't have 900 cars.

I can't believe I already have to do this.

Don't get too excited and then disappointed when the disc doesn't have 900 cars.

I'm not getting too excited. I read a press release and reacted to it. I've seen what can be done in all of the previous games. I'm still working on GT4 - I'm at 77.7 % - I currently have 151 cars of which I've won 125. I've probably only driven about a 2/5 of them. I'm perfectly happy with those cars - in fact I would have a lot less if I didn't have to buy cars to race!

But I'm one of those guys who doesn't care that there are 30+ models of a particular car - I just don't buy them (unless I have to), and I race what I want (if I can).

I just want to see how they do it. GT5 would be a fine game for me if it only have a couple of hundred cars - I don't need 900. I don't own a PS3 yet - when GT5 comes out is when I'll buy one. :dopey:

I really expect more then 900 by the end of GT5 game cycle would hope for at least 1200. GT4 has approx 750 so 900 is not really that many more only approx. 20 percent more. If they added more variations of american or european cars it could be achieved very easy. With downloaded content I would speculate that 25 to 50 cars perhaps more could be added per year, granted some could just be special editions or paint jobs.

Knowing how PD likes to have invisible barriers in their tracks, it'll suck if the test track isn't the full test track - including the 1 mile straight. I hope they make two versions: the track where people put in lap times, and then the track when Clarkson, Hamster and Cpt Slow test cars by throwing them around.

I want no barriers whatsoever and the ability to drive on the grass, if i choose.

Back