Top Gear Test Track

• Thread starter j8mie
  • 144 comments
The article does not say when this occurred. Could have been last year for all we know. I was under the impression that Top Gear does much of their filming before a new season even starts (they initial show has lots of clips of what they will have in future shows). I wouldn't read too much into this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Top Gear test track appear on the E3 trailer with the two LMP cars driving up it...which would kinda suggest that the track has been mapped and implemented into the game already.

The article does not say when this occurred. Could have been last year for all we know. I was under the impression that Top Gear does much of their filming before a new season even starts (they initial show has lots of clips of what they will have in future shows). I wouldn't read too much into this.
He was wearing that Tshirt at the rehearsals for the last episode. The photos appeared on the TG website either last week or the week before.

However, I wouldn't believe anything Jeremy says as he does have a habit of telling us "facts" that aren't.

He was wearing that Tshirt at the rehearsals for the last episode. The photos appeared on the TG website either last week or the week before.

However, I wouldn't believe anything Jeremy says as he does have a habit of telling us "facts" that aren't.

Sadly, for once I am inclined to believe him - there's no reason to believe that it isn't the case...

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Top Gear test track appear on the E3 trailer with the two LMP cars driving up it...which would kinda suggest that the track has been mapped and implemented into the game already.
... it was never "confirmed", not least because there simply isn't enough footage in the E3 trailer to definitively say one way or the other. My feeling is that it isn't the TG test track, not least because there doesn't appear to be any other bits of tarmac visible. Also, since the Top Gear test track is a figure of 8, I reckon it will be a "Rally" track (i.e. only one car on track at a time) or a drag strip (straight track, two cars). Either way, it won't be a regular racing circuit without some changes being necessary.

I think it could be a location for a new drag racing mode in the game (although that is pure speculation). However, given that PD have considered such a mode before, it would suggest that it is likely to be the case.

Last edited:
Also, remember KY has said he can release GT5 at anytime... I would presume the top gear track has been mapped already...

If what Jezza is saying is true, PD have only just started "mapping" out the Top Gear test track. And that was earlier this week. Seems like they have a great deal more work to do before GT5 is ready to be released. I'm not saying this gives us any idea of release date, or that this is not there first visit.

Just thought it might be interesting :)
Interesting? No. Do you really think that gathering the "mapping" data is the beginning? All of the work goes into the backend system that builds the tracks. All they will be doing is feeding that backend system, so hardly a great deal more work needed...

Besides, so what?!

because its a famous track and really tests your driving skill. also, its the next best thing to actually becoming a celebrity just so you can drive round it.

And this airfield is a racetrack?
I think the possibility that it was the TGTT is a bit bigger.

I'm not going to watch the video again now - but I'm reasonably sure there were no track lines or curbs visible.

It may (/probably is) the top gear test track but there is definitely an airfield at Le Mans - which is what I corrected you about.

Well the "rFactor version" is a mod and from what ive seen not a really good one.
I like tracks like that, theyre flat and have good run-off areas, so you can have good time trials, theyre also good to compare cars.

EDIT: Well i know Le Mans (as a city) has a airfield, but theres no airfield on the Circuit de la Sarthe (i meant Le Mans as a track).
The trailer showed a 787B and a Audi R15 racing on a fully lighten up runway and i doubt they would show an unknown airfield in france for a scene like that (i thought its an exaggerated version of Sebring first, but the buildings there really look like from the TGTT).

somehow I doubt this is true, I'm 90% sure it was the Test Track we saw in the E3 trailer... :)

Since when are you driving on a runway with... runway lights in Le Mans?

This really doesnt mean theyve just started working on the track...

lol do you really think this is the first time they map out the top gear test track? Relax.
1 word: perfectionism

Maybe they didn't like the way it looked when they FINISHED creating it, so they came back

Jay
Clearly the test track was already made so don't worry, they could have been there to check for any changes or just generally talk to them about it or anything and JC just game the article the non detailed answer to why they were there. Obviously KY and crew stopped in after attending goodwood festival of speed.

JC said none of them could speak english but I am pretty certain at least the easily distracted translator guy would have been there.

I don't think they're mapping it now.
Just doing some check ups to make sure it's accurate.

I think the test track was already complete. They were probably mapping it out to ensure it was done to perfection.

Also, remember KY has said he can release GT5 at anytime... I would presume the top gear track has been mapped already...

I find it almost laughable how everyone has jumped to the conclusion that the TGTT has already been included in GT5, based on a brief screenshot from the E3 trailer :dunce: Unsupported speculation, nothing more. Why not wait until you hear official word from Sony or PD before jumping to these kinds of conclusions?
Even if what we saw in the trailer was a portion of the TGTT (which is far from a proven fact IMO) , why jump to the conclusion that the whole track has been mapped, laser-scanned and programmed into GT5? They could have just stuck that bit in there, without having the whole track mapped out and completed, in order to get all the Top Gear fans excited--which has obviously been effective based on the responses it has elicited.

Why the fuss ove a little ugly flat poorly marked test track,who cares?

Exactly

Last edited:
Why the fuss ove a little ugly flat poorly marked test track,who cares?

It would be the first real British track (sort of) in the series.....and thats where my caring ends. Kind of makes me hopeful they attempted to go map some of the other tracks around here...

I find it almost laughable how everyone has jumped to the conclusion that the TGTT has already been included in GT5, based on a brief screenshot from the E3 trailer :dunce: Unsupported speculation, nothing more. Why not wait until you hear official word from Sony or PD before jumping to these kinds of conclusions?
Even if what we saw in the trailer was a portion of the TGTT (which is far from a proven fact IMO) , why jump to the conclusion that the whole track has been mapped, laser-scanned and programmed into GT5? They could have just stuck that bit in there to get all the Top Gear fans excited--which has obviously been effective based on the responses it has elicited.

Exactly
Well why shouldnt it be already more or less done?
Your post here is also just speculation, but without any backing.

Speculation of what? He's totally right. At the best, you could ask yourself "why should it be already more or less done?".

Anyways, Touring Mars has a valid point. As an 8 figure layout, it will likely be for practice/time trial only, and drag racing (as shown on the E3 trailer). There's no other possible reason for it to be put in use. After all, they use it for time trials only.

EDIT: Pointed out by Jackington below.

Why the fuss ove a little ugly flat poorly marked test track
Sure, it's not the most exciting track in the world, but it's iconic. We want to do our very own power laps, we want to be able to compare our times to The Stig (even if we'll most likely be multiple seconds faster) and we want to lap the circuit in a reasonably priced car just like in Top Gear.

DaddyVDUB
who cares?
obviously some people care, we're the ones making all this fuss after all. :dunce:

Speculation of what? He's totally right. At the best, you could ask yourself "why should it be already more or less done?".

Well it could be done, or very far into development already because:
We heard it will be in the game loooong time ago.
We have seen footage which is very likely from the track.

This is where the speculation is based on.

I just said that this article here in the first post doesnt have to mean that they just started developing it. Saying the one thing or saying the opposite is both speculation.

Thought so. Le Mans has lighting similar to an airfield at night. Watch the race at night, and that's pretty similar to the track we saw.

No it isnt, not even remotely.
There are no lights in the middle of the street, not even one and the whole surface didnt look like the Circuit de la Sarthe. Dont forget that half of the track is a public road.

No it isnt, not even remotely.
There are no lights in the middle of the street, not even one and the whole surface didnt look like the Circuit de la Sarthe. Dont forget that half of the track is a public road.

I honestly can't say that w/o more footage. What we have isn't conclusive enought.

I'm done w/ this point until gt5 comes out, and I'm either proven wrong or right.

It is conclusive enough to at least say its not the Circuit de la Sarthe, it might not be the Top Gear track, but it is a runway, a wide, open, lighten up, runway.

Why don't we just say, until GT5 is released, it's a fictonial runway used for drag races? Because it doesn't have to be real, knowing GT.

EDIT: Well i know Le Mans (as a city) has a airfield, but theres no airfield on the Circuit de la Sarthe (i meant Le Mans as a track).
The trailer showed a 787B and a Audi R15 racing on a fully lighten up runway and i doubt they would show an unknown airfield in france for a scene like that (i thought its an exaggerated version of Sebring first, but the buildings there really look like from the TGTT).

Unknown airfield? I'm willing to guess that most Sony higher ups use it every time they go to Le Mans.

The Top Gear track has been confirmed as being in - why does it matter if what we saw was it? It's going to be in either way. Pepsi0 has the right idea.

Back