Top Gear Test Track

• Thread starter j8mie
  • 144 comments
Who knows what PD has up there sleeve, but why would they show us two cars on the track and then just use it for one car time trials?
Perhaps there are 2 variations, one being for straight line racing? I don't see how this track can handle anything more than 3 cars.

I know...it's just a comment to PD's odd way of promoting something. How did that meeting go?

“hey guys….lets get two cars that are made for turning left and right and put them on a track made for testing those lefts and rights….but to be funny lets make them only go in a strait line…HaHa…everyone will get such a laugh out of it.”

Tbh i never thought of drag racing because of this scene, for me it was a Mazda 787B and a Audi R15 racing on a runway, i never understood how anyone could say this hints to drag racing? Dont you think they wouldve promoted it like WRC and NASCAR? With at least a standing start on the straight?

Which leads us right back to where we started. How can you have a proper race on this course?

Which leads us right back to where we started. How can you have a proper race on this course?
If you are both going in the same direction, have similar cars, and similar skill you shouldn't find yourselves going through the cross-section at differing points in the lap.

And while one could argue that it will inevitably happen, so will people going backward on any other course, or going so painfully slow that they are blocking race leaders on the next lap.

You know this stuff is only a problem because of some of the other goofy limitations they have had in the past.

Shame!

As a BBC licence payer who rarely gets his monies worth, would it be bad if I torrented them for you and then allowed you to upload them from me via an FTP client? Take it as an extension of my living room ;-)
Please be careful about discussing this here...! :)

If this has been covered before, please lock. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I had a question/concern about the Top Gear test track that is said to be included in Gran Turismo 5. The way it is modeled in the "Driving the Top Gear test track" article on the Top Gear website, The track is more rectangular, and the turn after the Hammerhead is further away than it really appears in a overhead view and satellite view of the track. However, from a satellite or overhead view, the track is much longer, and more, for lack of a better description, pin-shaped around the hammerhead, providing for a longer straight before the follow-through. Here are the pictures:

From the Top Gear website (archived):
01large.jpg

From an overhead view (Wikipedia):
TG_Test_Track.PNG

The more rectangular view is also what appears on the official Top Gear test track sticker, available in the store:
sticker.jpg

I imagine the PD team would want to make the track as faithful to real life as possible, as I've heard they do GPS measurements and a lot of research into the tracks. Why then, would Top Gear represent the track incorrectly in their merchandise? Do you think if it is included, they will model it the way the BBC has it modeled, so as to keep the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" segment more truthful/scientific (if that is even possible) as practicing on a PS3 wouldn't be a faithful representation?

This is really bugging me as I want to drive the REAL test track when I get GT5. The inclusion of the test track was actually one of the biggest pushes for me to finally get a PS3 over Christmas (as well as a much cheaper, better quality, 900 degree rotation wheel).
What are your thoughts on this?

Since it does crossover at one point expect it to be just a test track for licenses and free runs. Hopefully we will get some sort of time trial with it though.

PD will have modelled the airfield faithfully, dont you worry about that. Im hoping and praying you'll be able to do 2 player battles and 2 player online on it, so you can do "comparison tests" lol

PD did an awesome work with premium and longer tracks, eg. Suzuka and Nordschleife, Dunsfold will be a piece of cake to model. I hope we get a wet variation, the LFA wet lap revealed how fast and balanced that car is, I would like to compare times from the power laps board with my own laps. Also, it would be fun to wear the stig helmet when you're in time attack mode, would be nice to watch the replays with the stig driving. :D

They use the real location as reference, so you will definitely drive the correct version, dont worry.

This.

Also, if you really want to play on the track before GT5 comes out, to see how it feels first person, it can be had for rFactor and GTR2 along with the blue Lacetti.

This.

Also, if you really want to play on the track before GT5 comes out, to see how it feels first person, it can be had for rFactor and GTR2 along with the blue Lacetti.

Unfortunately, I'm a Mac guy, and as far as I can tell, there are no racing sims for Mac.

Since it does crossover at one point expect it to be just a test track for licenses and free runs. Hopefully we will get some sort of time trial with it though.

New gymkhana area perhaps? The one in forza3 looks awesome. This top gear track would be perfect as a GT5 equivelant.

I think PD will do a splendid job with the track just like every other track. I'm not sure though if they will include anything else from the show. I would definately be surprised if they did an extensive top gear section eg. Star in a reasonably priced car. I would sure want more of Top Gear in the game.

Back