Top Gear

• Thread starter MiniMii500
  • 32 comments
It's purely a licensing issue. GT5 was the first game to incorporate the TGTT, but then when the publishers of Forza (I've forgot who it is :S) saw it was a success, they threw lots and lots of money at the BBC to get the exclusive license. To be fair, they did a better job with the whole Top Gear thing than PD did, but it's not really PD's choice that it was removed.

It's purely a licensing issue. GT5 was the first game to incorporate the TGTT, but then when the publishers of Forza (I've forgot who it is :S) saw it was a success, they threw lots and lots of money at the BBC to get the exclusive license. To be fair, they did a better job with the whole Top Gear thing than PD did, but it's not really PD's choice that it was removed.

Why are you speaking in a matter of fact way when you have no proof any of that is true?

There were many things left out from 5 that never made it to six...

AMG academy, shuffle, community features, and many more... So why is this an issue more than the others? Especially as samus mentioned, you show no valid sources to back up your points of thin air..

Yeah I really enjoyed this track, shuffle races were really fun on this track to. Bring both back please.
I agree, I enjoyed a lot in this track. I have been in several online races on GT5 for trading. As Top Gear Track isn't here, GT6 isn't the same :(

Bring the track, please!

Top Gear was a gimmicky addon and PD did a terrible job of implementing it, so I'm happy to see it go. Sorry no like from me, I think PD have far more important issues on their plate for GT7

I wonder if we could recreate Top Gear with a track editor/course creator feature.
It's what I intended to try do should that feature ever become available and support that as an option.
I understand that it's not for everyone the old Top Gear but I rather enjoy goofing off running hot laps like the Stig.
Always found it fun to goof on in GT5 online too.

Top Gear Test Track was fun to a point as it was different and a novelty...I didn't run on it beyond what I needed to for tests, Special Events etc but I can see why people like it. I can't see it coming back any time soon given Microsoft currently hold the rights to it....and given that, as far as I can tell, Forza have done a better job of integrating it with the Documentaries and stuff they have done. I would be fine with it coming back though as I am happy with any extra tracks to make things more interesting

Top gear went Whit the competition (forza) so I don't think we will seeing top gear back any time soon
How ironic, Forza exists as an alternative to GT for people who own XBOXs. I's like Kaz's ideas grew a life of their own and then robbed him.

Why are you speaking in a matter of fact way when you have no proof any of that is true?

There were many things left out from 5 that never made it to six... you show no valid sources to back up your points of thin air..

Here...
http://www.totalxbox.com/34866/features/top-gears-andy-wilman-talks-forza-motorsport-4/

"not just a licensing deal but a 'creative partnership'."

It looks to be exclusive and not very likely we'll see it back on GT. Turn 10 had a better pitch and incorporated the Top Gear brand better. Now the following is purely speculative: But I would guess that Turn 10 went in and asked "what can we(turn10) do to advance and promote the Top Gear franchise?" and then they backed it up with cash and followed through on the vision.

Top Gear was a gimmicky addon and PD did a terrible job of implementing it, so I'm happy to see it go. Sorry no like from me, I think PD have far more important issues on their plate for GT7

Agreed. Why are we getting so overly-specific with questions? Is it because we all have that one main issue we need an answer to?

How do we know this "Creative Partnership" isn't more PR Speak?

Last edited:
It looks to be exclusive
"Looks"

Not

"It is"

There, once again, is no evidence to be an exclusive event. T10 threw money at them [BBC] and T10 threw money out for sponsorship of the track for their game. They pulled in money, and returned their investments.

Nothing else to say...

How do we know this "Creative Partnership" isn't more PR Speak?
ysXeeQ6.png

Well I wouldn`t pay them a penny for it, it`s just an airfield so make virtual one. Paint some virtual lines on it and pretend stig is better than you and all is good in gtp :D

Clarkson and co get too much dosh anyways. .I..

edit: did I miss a `c` or 2

TBH, I don't care. I don't like the track, as other 'flat' tracks derived from airport runways. It's too flat everywhere, barely any inclines or camber changes. Boring aside, it's also hard to judge the coming corner.

It's fun watching Stig 'thrashing' those super cars around the track, though.

"Looks"

Not

"It is"

There, once again, is no evidence to be an exclusive event. T10 threw money at them [BBC] and T10 threw money out for sponsorship of the track for their game. They pulled in money, and returned their investments.

Nothing else to say...

Did you read the article? If you did and you still think it's not an exclusive deal, then you have more optimism than I.

Now I'm not saying it's exclusive for all eternity, I'm saying it's exclusive for a specified period of time. And just because neither party has divulged such information doesn't mean it for surely is not true. I call it reading into what is being said...and what is being said is that PD only cared about the track, and T10 won them over with brand implementation.

You seem to be so focused on evidence, then go find me some facts that say it isn't exclusive!

Did you read the article?

Yes. In fact I have read the article once before you mentioned it.

If you did and you still think it's not an exclusive deal, then you have more optimism than I.

I normally do for a lot of things. Sometimes good and sometimes bad.

I call it reading into what is being said...

What's being said is that Forza chucked money to BBC to purchase licenses and rights to put the TGTT into the game... No exclusives are shown.

PD only cared about the track, and T10 won them over with brand implementation.

Find where it says that, and not with a reply of "you have to read into it". PD did quite a good little section where many people just flew over the events as they were too hard. They also did a good job when the license events were done on the track. (IMO)

You seem to be so focused on evidence

Well you don't see too many thesis papers written out of thin air with no citation of evidence... Do ya?

go find me some facts that say it isn't exclusive!

Let me re-phrase that... "Go find me some facts that say gravity isn't actually true."

My guess on it? It was up for auction. BBC saw T10 and after the work from PD wanted to try something else. It was probably an auction for PD (which T10 most likely said to BBC set a price for us to beat/match) that they couldn't beat/match so it was left out.

Now I don't know about you, but I damn well know the BBC won't publish an article about themselves for price gouging a market/product...

Did you read the article? If you did and you still think it's not an exclusive deal, then you have more optimism than I.

Now I'm not saying it's exclusive for all eternity, I'm saying it's exclusive for a specified period of time. And just because neither party has divulged such information doesn't mean it for surely is not true. I call it reading into what is being said...and what is being said is that PD only cared about the track, and T10 won them over with brand implementation.

You seem to be so focused on evidence, then go find me some facts that say it isn't exclusive!
It doesn't work like that. The burden of proof is on you.

In fact they cared a little more but was a bad time for them to implement anything TG related. There was the real Stig polemic involving a court case, the game delays (years from the announcement) meaning possible license expires, and finally the suspicious time coinciding Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson new Forza partnership starting with FM3 and followed by FM4 and FM5.

ultimatecollection.jpg

With nothing of the above things could be very different on that portion of the game, in GT5 and probably GT6, as had be seen in the trailers and the special events menu images.

gt5_special_events_57klld.jpeg

gran-turismo-5-stig2xsj2.jpg

Anyway I'm sure that the TG focus in GT would have been more serious than it's actually in the Forza games and that is not likely the choice that the show were seeking.

I don't know about Forza fans, but personally I don't think either developer made proper use of the Top Gear license. The only thing Turn 10 really did better was actually get Clarkson to do some voice-overs. Neither did a beat the Stig's powerboard times, and neither had the reasonably priced car time board to see where you rank among the stars. Also need the F1 driver reasonably priced power board. Neither even had 1 lap standing start test laps for cars to have your own powerboard. A complete dimwhit could have implemented Top Gear into a driving game better than T10 or PD did themselves......which is kinda sad.

That said, I just want the track itself back in GT6 and beyond. IMO it's one of the best tracks in the world to run on. Being totally flat with alot of technical corners makes it more about handling than power though both have their role to play getting around the track. Granted, because it's just an airfield you have to actually know the track to get around the place properly, but really every car enthusiast should know that track by heart. You get some people together that all know that track, you can have some AMAZING races on that little airfield. Aside from a couple tracks like Nurb, TGTT is my favorite track to run in GT5. I would gladly give up every track added to GT6 to have Top Gear back.

Luckily, it should be a fairly easy track to recreate with even a decent track creator. Hopefully we can put our tracks up on a public database to share with everyone with good community features like ratings and maybe even comments and recomendations.

It doesn't work like that. The burden of proof is on you.

Oh ok. That's a childish statement. It's actually on you to make your case to me, but keep blindly shooting down others thoughts, stay classy. Also, the only proof I need is that TGTT is in forza and not gt6. Until that changes I'll stay with the exclusivity theory.

My guess on it? It was up for auction. BBC saw T10 and after the work from PD wanted to try something else. It was probably an auction for PD (which T10 most likely said to BBC set a price for us to beat/match) that they couldn't beat/match so it was left out.

Now I don't know about you, but I damn well know the BBC won't publish an article about themselves for price gouging a market/product...

So if it's up for auction wouldn't that mean its exclusive? At least for a small time frame. If it's strictly a reasonably priced cash payment for the license then, yes, it would and could be in both, I just don't see it that way right now. I'm not saying that gt did a bad job, I'm saying its in forza and not in gt6 for the reason of an exclusive licensing agreement. And like you mentioned, no you don't see doctoral dissertations written on a hunch, but this is a video game forum, instead of berating each other's ideas we can constructively find some common points and work from there. Correct?

It's actually on you to make your case to me
No mate, it's your job to prove your exclusive theory.
So if it's up for auction wouldn't that mean its exclusive?
No. The price probably was too far fetched for PD/Sony to pay for. T10/Microsoft would easily dump money on something they saw they thought they could take a hold of to make more money. That's just how business/Americans think.
I'm saying its in forza and not in gt6 for the reason of an exclusive licensing agreement.
That's what we are asking to be found/proved that it is in fact exclusive.
And like you mentioned, no you don't see doctoral dissertations written on a hunch, but this is a video game forum, instead of berating each other's ideas we can constructively find some common points and work from there. Correct?
All I'm saying is, you don't tell people that alchemy really does make lead into gold without proof. You don't just say that it is for a fact an exclusive deal.

I started to do some searching and then I thought about Porsche, the other "exclusive" rights dilemma. I thought, well since VW AG owns Porsche, why doesn't PD/Sony talk to them to soften up Porsche. Then I looked at percentage stakes in both companies. Porsche owns 50.7% +/- in VW AG and VW AG has a 49.9% stake in Porsche. So then I was like "aw crap... Well that was fruitless"

However, since they are both listed as subsidiaries for each other, why is it that a sub-license by VW AG cannot be written for PD/Sony, just as BBC themselves write it for TopGear?

Rather than the whole license purchase like EA and T10 have (Porsche and TG respectively), surely a Sub-license by cheating the books would be cheaper no?

Back