Top ranking players handbraking? (M4 Seasonal)

• Thread starter Paolosev91
  • 77 comments
Looking at the replays of the top players in the rankings of the BMW M4 at Nurburgring Seasonal Event, I found out that they tap the handbrake when entering the corners...
this, with the anti-slip on, gives them a big advantage over other people....
I found this very annoying!
(However, I am at around place 2.000 worldwide, not really near their place! :D )

So long as there is not something preventing the rest of us from being able to use the same settings and methods then there is nothing wrong with it. If in fact they are using the handbrake then maybe that is the fastest way to go around the track.

So long as there is not something preventing the rest of us from being able to use the same settings and methods then there is nothing wrong with it. If in fact they are using the handbrake then maybe that is the fastest way to go around the track.

Right... So as long as others can copy there is no harm? So we should be able to cut the track, bounce off walls etc?

PD should be aiming for realism, SRF should not be in time trials and any bizarre methods people find to gain lap time should be investigated and corrected. It is what a developer in touch with its community would do.

Right... So as long as others can copy there is no harm? So we should be able to cut the track, bounce off walls etc?

PD should be aiming for realism, SRF should not be in time trials and any bizarre methods people find to gain lap time should be investigated and corrected. It is what a developer in touch with its community would do.

No I'm saying that if the handbrake method is faster then so be it. Those time trials are only live for 2 weeks anyway so I generally do not even bother trying to get a fast time in them, just well enough to win the prize and move on so I really do not care what the guys that manage to get to the top are doing to get there

Who says it's not realistic?
This could be an indicator that PD's model of the M4 (or worse yet, the actual M4) has severe understeer and is extraordinarily stable even when turning with handbrake.
(I acknowledge that with SRF on this means that it's not necessarily stable with handbrake, but at least shows that understeer is a real problem.)

As one that has learned to use the hand brake myself, let me explain it to you this way. First, let me say that I am no top 10 alien, I usually place between 100-150 with an honest effort. Now, I do agree with you about SRF, my opinion is that it should be banned from these TT events. But for now and until/if they ban it, if you want to be competitive with the others using it, you are just going to have to use it yourself.

Now about the hand brake. Like you, in a TT way back in GT5, I noticed the top guys were using it and I became very annoyed and even considered it a type of cheating. Then I just took a step back and thought about it for a minute, if they are using it, then I guess I need to learn how to use it as it is available for everyone to try, and it IS a mechanical part of most cars. So, instead of crying about it, I sat out to learn the technique. I have became pretty decent at using the hand brake technique and it has no doubt helped me to stay competitive. Its called adapt and conquer. Sometimes in life, and in games, that is what you must do.

Although some may think using the hand brake is a bit unrealistic, you have to remember that this is only a game and you just have to play it accordingly. Using the hand brake is in no way cheating, as it is an available option for everyone to use, just like SRF. I doubt very much that they will disable the hand brake as it is a mechanical part of almost every car made so you are either going to have to learn how to use it to your advantage, or find other (legit) ways to be competitive. For most corners where using the hand brake is advantageous, you can get the same effect by downshifting into 1st gear for a quick second (then back to 2nd for corner exit) to get the car to rotate just as tapping the hand brake does. I have used both ways and they both work to get the car to rotate, I myself just prefer to keep the car in the gear I want to use for corner exit and tap the hand brake for the rotation I need. Remember, adapt and conquer, no use crying/complaining about something that is available to everyone to use. :)

SRF is optional, but I expect PD to insert a tab for a leaderboard without SRF.
Rally drivers use E-brakes, so I don't see why it's an issue if used in GT6. As long as there is no funny glitches or tricks to gain an advantage.

I suppose doing this optimally is a skill in itself, although when PD are made aware of the rifeness of using this (and if it is unrealistic) they should probably do something about it in a future update. Either make SRF usable only in offline play or lessen the effects of it in competitive online races.

I could not care less how others do their times.

Importand is that they finally gave us the option to turn that damn SRF off !

So i drive with it off and not using the handbrake and i'am happy with my 2:14,1

But it sure is not realistic that you can use the handbrake as the M4 propably has a electronic handbrake and won't allow you to use it while you move.

I experiment between the hand brake and using the throttle. Without driver aids then using the throttle is quicker in the BMW on that track, for me. I do like using the h/brake in general, the Matterhorn for example, but I lose too much speed in that car (M4) on that track.

The fact that using the hand-brake can decrease your lap time at all is frankly ridiculous. It isn't cheating, no, since its freely available to everyone but it does diminish the enjoyment of TTing somewhat when you realise that to be competitive, you have to adopt a technique that, if you tried it in a real car, would destroy your rear tyres and damage your suspension eventually as well. But this is a game, right.. so that makes it ok to have to learn tricks that would be more at home in Super Mario Kart.

Hey this is GT6, the real driving simulator and I can hand-brake a race car at 100+mph.

Fact is, losing traction is never the fastest way through a corner on tarmac. So if it actually is in GT.... well, its not a huge mental leap to the obvious conclusion...

By all means, learn the hand-brake trick. Apparently, you can use it to dive-bomb people in the braking zone in a race as well. For my part, a bit of me dies inside each time I see it used.

I've seen some of the pros on "Best Motoring" use a dab of handbrake for more rotation in the corner, haven't seen it used anywhere else though.
But its obviously not realistic the way it can be used in gt6.

I’ve never seen anyone use the handbrake when track driving IRL.

Only place I have seen it is in tarmac rallying, and only then to turn the car in to hairpins.

If it works in the game then clearly people will use it, but it shouldn’t ever be defended with claims that it’s a realistic technique… the way it’s used in GT5/6 (little taps to induce entry rotation) is totally unrealistic.

The fact that using the hand-brake can decrease your lap time at all is frankly ridiculous. It isn't cheating, no, since its freely available to everyone but it does diminish the enjoyment of TTing somewhat when you realise that to be competitive, you have to adopt a technique that, if you tried it in a real car, would destroy your rear tyres and damage your suspension eventually as well. But this is a game, right.. so that makes it ok to have to learn tricks that would be more at home in Super Mario Kart.

Hey this is GT6, the real driving simulator and I can hand-brake a race car at 100+mph.

Fact is, losing traction is never the fastest way through a corner on tarmac. So if it actually is in GT.... well, its not a huge mental leap to the obvious conclusion...

By all means, learn the hand-brake trick. Apparently, you can use it to dive-bomb people in the braking zone in a race as well. For my part, a bit of me dies inside each time I see it used.
It will be the fastest method if you have SRF on, PD need to get rid of that feature its killing the Simulation that makes this game good, worse thing is you can't ****ing turn it off in licenses (I think you can't turn it of in missions as well) , its like they are trying to teach new players to drive with it on and keep it on, You can't really call this game a sim...

If the "stig" drives it (the M4) around the top gear track I doubt he will use the handbrake around the hammerhead and take advantage of the skid recovery force :banghead:.

What most people want is a realistic racing simulator, I haven't used the handbrake as you can do the same with gears which is what I try to do, but I do dislike this handbrake and SRF thing. SRF shouldn't even be in Gran Turismo as it's not exactly an aid that helps drivers who are new to the game, it just boosts everyones time :S.

Not sure if the times have changed since I last checked but I remember watching the Irish guy's replay at 4th driving in what looks like the prettiest lap with little to no use of handbrake at all. His time isn't that far off AMO's time either so I don't think it's essential to handbrake into every corner at 100mph just to get a reasonably quick time.

You'd be better off worrying about getting to within 1-2 seconds off the top times before you consider touching that handbrake anyway. All the handbrake does is help you correct you're line if say you carry a little too much speed into the corner and the car isn't pointing in the optimal way at that part of the track (which again you'd be better off figuring out the optimal way to enter a corner so you won't have to resort to using the e-brake in the first place).

The moment I realised the fast times were done with SRF on, I lost all interest in improving my time.

I have had the SRF off in all of my races. I noticed in some it was not optional to change the setting in the event and even said that it was on but when I looked at my leaderboard time it said SRF Off.

I also did not try to compete with the top times, I just posted a gold time and moved on. If my friends had already driven it and were faster I may have driven a few more laps to try and beat their times but even then I put in very little effort.

If it only works with SRF on, why blame the handbrake when it's clearly the SRF that is the problem?
That's not true. The hand-brake tap method works just as well without SRF.

If it only works with SRF on, why blame the handbrake when it's clearly the SRF that is the problem?

As Chris says... people were using the handbrake back in GT5 seasonals without SRF.

The issue is with how the handbrake is modelled in GT5/6... it allows you to apply very small amounts of rear wheel lock very quickly, causing instant rotation.

Yes, I've seen it in practise in TTs and races - quite effective. You'll always be faster with SRF on of course.

Okay. I guess we'll know for sure when/if the time trials comes with SRF forced off. If the fastest guys are still handbraking, then I guess it's more or less proven.

Back