Totalled STi

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pelikan
  • 121 comments
  • 5,695 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was probably referring to the fact that the officer lost control too, since he didn't really know whether or not the sti was speeding before the wreck its kind of silly to write a ticket for losing control when you, a trained professional, lost control your self. For all the officer knew, you could have been driving at a safe speed and still lost control like he did.. unless either you or the driver of the other car involved said that speeding was involved.
 
Unless im reading it wrong, the other car didnt lose control. They lost it and clipped the other car. It wasnt a police car either, just the first officer on the scene wrote the ticket.

edit - i see the bit about the officer losing it now, but as he admitted to speeding........
 
the officer was going 25mph when he arrived so he wasnt speeding, and other car involved in the wreck, the oncoming vehicle did not lose control, what i said was that there was a random car that came down that road minutes later and also lost control but did not crash, just came to a screeching halt. Land Sea Air...gets my vote for the nicest member...
 
What I meant was that unless either the car they clipped, or the driver of the sti, mentioned anything about speeding. The officer would not know/think that speeding was involved. Especially since the officer (yeah i know thats not the one they hit he came afterwards) lost control on his way to the scene.
 
Mr rovens,
I think you missed the point...the officer loses control on the same road that we do...and he gives US a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...
 

OK...
first let me clarify several things before I begin to tell the details...
I am not a new member. I have been a member for say 3 or 4 years, I just rarely ever post, there’s no need to for sum people. The reason I haven’t posted this in the first place is because my computer has been down off and on and in all of that time I wasn’t worried about sharing pics of the wreck...

Details, here ya go...
The STi was a gift for his 16th B-Day...it was either that or a G35 or S2000...him and his family drove to Dallas to a dealership and drove it home to hot springs, Arkansas, where I live. He had had the car for about three months when the wreck happened...

It was Feb 10, 2005, me and him were at Taco Bell at around 8:40 and decided to catch a 9 o clock movie. Since I had my car I followed him back to his house and then we both got into his car...

Now, the temperature was about 29 degrees or so, and the roads were wet but it was not raining...

We took a back road to the movies, which you have to understand, a back road in Arkansas is 2 lanes single yellow line no shoulder, trees to the right, mailboxes to the left, speed limit 25...This particular was very curvy. We made a left onto the road, and took the first sharp bend within a second after that at about 35 mph, which was a right turn, we then traveled up a small hill hitting 55 in like, well you know STi acceleration. When the road leveled out we hit about 65 on a small stretch and then slowed to around 50-55.

This is where things went wrong, the next corner was meant to be taken at a very slow speed, mainly because it was a very sharp ABRUPT right hander...remember that the roads are wet, and on top of that there is a slight to medium fog...we continued at a constant speed and entered the quick turn at like I said about 50...at the exact same time another car was coming entering the turn from the opposite direction. The light fog and the headlights of the other car made it nearly impossible to see...We entered the turn and lost rear traction. Now, most of you are probably going to criticize me for saying that, because the STi is all wheel drive, and we would have to going faster to lose rear traction. Well for some reason that particular part of the turn is very slippery, slippery enough that the car that came down the road next lost control too. It may have been black ice, being that it was wet and below freezing, but we still are not sure why we lost traction. Anyway, the rear broke loose, and we went into a slide. This was not good with a car coming in the opposite lane, and since it was pretty clear that If my friend didn’t take control soon we would hit the other car head on. Well my friend tried to correct the vehicle but he overcorrected it and we gained control for a split second, but we were in the other lane, so in one continuous motion he swerved to miss the oncoming car. Our back left fender clipped the car however and sent us off the road. Well the first real damage was from hitting about a 4 foot in diameter tree head on, on the passenger side, my side, this sent the car into a spin. We spun four times and took out about 30 feet of small trees and came to a complete stop halfway into a ditch, backwards, and bottomed out like a see saw pretty much. And that’s how it happened.

Don’t believe me still, I was just trying to share an experience...here proof, I took a picture of a piece of the car that I still have, take it or leave it...
Its the back bottom part of the rear door...

By the way...the officer who arrived first on the scene lost control also but gained it quickly. he gave Stevan, my friend a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...what an ass! at least it was a speeding ticket, I guess.

And we did walk away with a few scratches, no broken bones, no bruises. Just a heartache from wrecking an awesome piece of Japanese machinery.

P.S the airbags did not do any damage, TYP-27R, remember, they are made for safety “STOOPID”

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/deathcabdaniel/DSC01325.jpg

I'm sorry, but you have to be the dumbest person alive. How is OVER DOUBLE the Speed Limit considered "not going fast"? Last time I checked, that's a FELONY. The driver deserves everything he got, and more. 👎
 
I'm sorry, but you have to be the dumbest person alive. How is OVER DOUBLE the Speed Limit considered "not going fast"? Last time I checked, that's a FELONY. The driver deserves everything he got, and more. 👎
Since when is the term fast, compared to the speed limit. I can see 70 in a 45 "fast" because thats dangerous speed in any condition...50 is not very fast at all...
Our speed limit zones have not been updated in the past 15 years btw...
 
Mr rovens,
I think you missed the point...the officer loses control on the same road that we do...and he gives US a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...

Aside from the post above this.

You/Your friend didn't try to appeal it? If the officer lost control as you did, then, he really can't issue any written citation unless he could prove you were speeding, or driving recklessly.
 
Aside from the post above this.

You/Your friend didn't try to appeal it? If the officer lost control as you did, then, he really can't issue any written citation unless he could prove you were speeding, or driving recklessly.

No we did not appeal...we are talking about people here, very difficult to understand if you get my drift? My friend was more concerned with the fact that he didn't have a car, and financially you can imagine it was not a problem for him to pay a ticket (I think it was 165 dollars), shortly afterward he bought a Ford Regency F-150 or 250 I think? believe it or not its sticker was 58 thou...and it could possibly have taken forver to appeal it where i live, but I am not so sure...
 
Since when is the term fast, compared to the speed limit. I can see 70 in a 45 "fast" because thats dangerous speed in any condition...50 is not very fast at all...
Our speed limit zones have not been updated in the past 15 years btw...

I almost had an aneurysm trying to understand what you just typed. You mean to tell me that, because you think the speed limit is off and your buddy was doubling it, that it wasn't fast? I'm lost at that. Not to mention the math behind all of it.

70 / 45 = 1.555...
65 / 25 = 2.6

So, on average, you're traveling over 2.5 times the traffic around you (granted there wasn't much at that time of day). Yeah, I can see how that's safe. :dunce:
 
I'm sorry, but you have to be the dumbest person alive. 👎

I don't think that just because someone made a very human mistake and overestimated a high performance AWD car does not make him the dumbest person alive. Weather or not he was going "fast" is relative to opinion espeacially in a powerful car like that.
 
I almost had an aneurysm trying to understand what you just typed. You mean to tell me that, because you think the speed limit is off and your buddy was doubling it, that it wasn't fast? I'm lost at that. Not to mention the math behind all of it.

70 / 45 = 1.555...
65 / 25 = 2.6

So, on average, you're traveling over 2.5 times the traffic around you (granted there wasn't much at that time of day). Yeah, I can see how that's safe. :dunce:

First of all, an aneurysm, by definition is a permanent cardiac or arterial dilatation usually caused by weakening of the vessel wall. Your not healthy, get that checked out, because if you obviously understood, seeing that your reply was sooooo well thought out. Im not being a smart ass, I let Webster do that for me. Why is it that you in your math equation above used the fastest speed we were traveling, but not the speed at the the time of the wreck? I dont have to skew the facts to make them seem more favorable to my opinion.
My point was simple. Have you ever traveled 2.5 times faster than the traffic around you at any time in your life? If so...then don't criticize. Basically its obvious that there were many unsafe things that could have been prevented by human and mechanical corrections. We definately should not have been traveling over the speed limit, not to mention driving in those wet conditions with dry season POTENZAs. I apologize for being unsafe, because that seems to be the basis of your opinion, but that is a choice that I and my friend made.
 
Off topic
Heres a question: Most people have the bare minimum 1 million liability, but if you hit a Veyron at a stop light and do enough damage that they write off the car, does that mean your screwed? :lol:

Yeah, I guess - it's a million in property damage liability, right? Well the Veyron's property.

I really want to know the answers to these questions!
 
First of all, an aneurysm, by definition is a permanent cardiac or arterial dilatation usually caused by weakening of the vessel wall. Your not healthy, get that checked out, because if you obviously understood, seeing that your reply was sooooo well thought out. Im not being a smart ass, I let Webster do that for me. Why is it that you in your math equation above used the fastest speed we were traveling, but not the speed at the the time of the wreck? I dont have to skew the facts to make them seem more favorable to my opinion.
My point was simple. Have you ever traveled 2.5 times faster than the traffic around you at any time in your life? If so...then don't criticize. Basically its obvious that there were many unsafe things that could have been prevented by human and mechanical corrections. We definately should not have been traveling over the speed limit, not to mention driving in those wet conditions with dry season POTENZAs. I apologize for being unsafe, because that seems to be the basis of your opinion, but that is a choice that I and my friend made.
That was nicely done, and a lot more subtle than I would have probably been.
 
yeah i guess we have to give you some props Mr. PIMP. we should turn this into a share your totaled car experience thread, pics only
 
Yeah, I guess - it's a million in property damage liability, right? Well the Veyron's property.

I really want to know the answers to these questions!

I would guess the Veyron owner's insurance would cover it under uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Yes, it is property damage liability.
 
In Texas--not sure about the rest of the US--if you own 25 or more cars you don't have to have any car insurance as you are registered as a dealer with the financial status to be able to afford any damages incurred in a crash. At least that what an insurance agent told me once. I don't know if I'd believe that or not...
 
My point was simple. Have you ever traveled 2.5 times faster than the traffic around you at any time in your life?
No, because that would be moronic.

Le Mans prototypes/Group C cars were slowed down because they were approaching traffic at less than this 2.5 factor (the fastest cars were roughly twice as fast as the slowest). These were professional racing drivers on a closed course, all travelling in the same direction...and it was still deemed unsafe. Food for thought.

Oh wait, I'm being a hypocrite. This one time, I was driving through a parking lot, and this car was creeping out of a space at 1 mph. So, I was going about 15 times faster than the surrounding traffic. I'm still checking my rear-view to make sure death isn't chasing me after that incident...

land sea air
yeah i guess we have to give you some props Mr. PIMP. we should turn this into a share your totaled car experience thread, pics only
ZOMG!!!! look what i did to my sPyKeR!!!1 lol!!!
1spyker_20060111_003.jpg
 
This is where things went wrong, the next corner was meant to be taken at a very slow speed, mainly because it was a very sharp ABRUPT right hander...remember that the roads are wet, and on top of that there is a slight to medium fog...we continued at a constant speed and entered the quick turn at like I said about 50...at the exact same time another car was coming entering the turn from the opposite direction. The light fog and the headlights of the other car made it nearly impossible to see...We entered the turn and lost rear traction. Now, most of you are probably going to criticize me for saying that, because the STi is all wheel drive, and we would have to going faster to lose rear traction. Well for some reason that particular part of the turn is very slippery, slippery enough that the car that came down the road next lost control too. It may have been black ice, being that it was wet and below freezing, but we still are not sure why we lost traction.

I can see it easily losing traction: 29F, wet, and an Impreza on summer tires. You took the turn at double the suggested speed. On a dry summer day, you can generally get away with that (and sometimes I do the same), but under the conditions you listed, you're either going to understeer straight through or oversteer yourself right back around (although it seemed like your friend did both, one after the other). The exact spin depends on the camber & curve of the road.

It's good that you admit that you made an error in judgement, but since you (and your friend?) had trouble figuring out what happened under such obvious circumstances, I would suggest some type of advanced driving course. Ironically, the Impreza would have been a good car to attend the classes in....


Since when is the term fast, compared to the speed limit. I can see 70 in a 45 "fast" because thats dangerous speed in any condition...50 is not very fast at all...
Our speed limit zones have not been updated in the past 15 years btw...

Speed is relative. 35-40 MPH in a parking lot is kind of fast, but on a highway at that speed you're likely to get rear-ended. But I agree that speed limits are -- in general -- a bit overly cautious for some drivers. The problem is that not everyone falls under "some drivers", and an unfortunately large percentage shouldn't be driving at all (in my not-nearly-humble-at-all-opinion). Then there's the portion of drivers who simply don't feel comfortable driving at anything over 20 MPH ("You're driving like a bat out of hades!"). And then there's all the older cars that can't really be driven like the modern WRC homologation special. This is the group of people you're forced onto the road with, and this is basically what the government feels is the best compromise given those circumstances.

I hate it, but I deal with it...unless I can get away with it.
 
Granted I haven't driven an sti in anger, but I do pilot a 280 horse 4wd Subaru, and oversteering FIRST seems to be really random. How far into the turn was your friend? With my experience with Subaru's, I would have guessed you would understeer far before swinging the tail out. Then again, would depend on how far into the corner you were and such...
Wrote off my last car understeering into a pole trying to avoid a red light jumper. Looked eerily similar to the pics you posted, except with more old Legacy.
 
What kind of parents buy an STi for a 16th birthday present?
 
Mr rovens,
I think you missed the point...the officer loses control on the same road that we do...and he gives US a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...

Yes but he regained control of his car didnt he. Probably because he wasnt doing TWICE THE SPEED LIMIT on a slow bend.
 
Details, here ya go...
The STi was a gift for his 16th B-Day...it was either that or a G35 or S2000...

Words fail me. So instead I will let punctuation express my thoughts:

?

!


Now, the temperature was about 29 degrees or so, and the roads were wet but it was not raining...

Farenheit? That's -2 celsius - the roads would have been icy, not wet.

Now, most of you are probably going to criticize me for saying that, because the STi is all wheel drive, and we would have to going faster to lose rear traction. Well for some reason that particular part of the turn is very slippery, slippery enough that the car that came down the road next lost control too. It may have been black ice, being that it was wet and below freezing, but we still are not sure why we lost traction.

I am.

Inexperienced driver entering a turn too fast, bricking it and leaping off the accelerator. Lift-off oversteer, compounded by ice.


Well my friend tried to correct the vehicle but he overcorrected it and we gained control for a split second, but we were in the other lane, so in one continuous motion he swerved to miss the oncoming car.

Inexperienced driver overcorrecting 4WD slide. With 4WD, it's always the second skid that gets you.


Of course, now he has that experience - and hopefully the experience of crashing primarily because he was travelling too fast for the road conditions.


By the way...the officer who arrived first on the scene lost control also but gained it quickly. he gave Stevan, my friend a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...what an ass! at least it was a speeding ticket, I guess.

Did the police officer crash? Nope. Did your friend crash? Yep.

So who's the ass?


P.S the airbags did not do any damage, TYP-27R, remember, they are made for safety “STOOPID”

Well... Airbags can injure people, as can seatbelts.


Still, we'll have less of this - and I don't mean just you. A bit of civility wouldn't go amiss in here.
 
The bottom line I guess is that the crash was his friends fault for being stupid behind the wheel of the car. not much else matters. It wasn't GT PIMP driving so he wasn't the stupid one, people crash, especially new drivers. If I were you I'd suggest taking your own car rather than being a passenger in his again.
 
Still pretty amazing you can have that choice of FIRST cars when your 16 in America....
 
No we did not appeal...we are talking about people here, very difficult to understand if you get my drift? .

actually the oncoming car got your drift. not us.
 
What kind of parents buy an STi for a 16th birthday present?
The same kind who replace it with a $50,000+ truck: idiots.
 
Just to make the point im not personally attacking GT P.I.M.P as he wasnt driving. Just pointing out the stupidity of the act.
 
The same kind who replace it with a $50,000+ truck: idiots.

It's shocking isn't it?

If I was offered by my parents an STi or a massive pick-up, I would turn it down. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving such a thing.
 
First of all, an aneurysm, by definition is a permanent cardiac or arterial dilatation usually caused by weakening of the vessel wall. Your not healthy, get that checked out, because if you obviously understood, seeing that your reply was sooooo well thought out. Im not being a smart ass, I let Webster do that for me. Why is it that you in your math equation above used the fastest speed we were traveling, but not the speed at the the time of the wreck? I dont have to skew the facts to make them seem more favorable to my opinion.
My point was simple. Have you ever traveled 2.5 times faster than the traffic around you at any time in your life? If so...then don't criticize. Basically its obvious that there were many unsafe things that could have been prevented by human and mechanical corrections. We definately should not have been traveling over the speed limit, not to mention driving in those wet conditions with dry season POTENZAs. I apologize for being unsafe, because that seems to be the basis of your opinion, but that is a choice that I and my friend made.

Sweet, that means I can criticize. :indiff:

I'm sorry if I come off rude and abrupt, but I see thread's like these as a call for sympathy, and frankly I can't feel sympathy for someone who's done something lacking common sense as much as this. Yes, my opinion is based on safety, and had it been based on anything else, I wouldn't have commented. I've seen far too many people perish due to reckless acts of driving, and I may be a little bit different than most, due to seeing a few family members pass away due to someone else's mistakes.

I didn't really skew the facts, since skewing (using Webster's, just like you did ;)) is a distortion especially from a true value or symmetrical form. I did take the most drastic sequence to emphasize a point, that is true. And, maybe it was a little unnecessary and over the top, but it did prove a point. You were traveling way beyond your own capable boundaries, and that's shown evident by the outcome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back