Totalled STi

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pelikan
  • 121 comments
  • 5,696 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same kind who replace it with a $50,000+ truck: idiots.

At least he'll be perfectly safe in his great big truck. Other cars will just go under him after he puts a 12" lift and some 45" tires. And, with those tires and stock gears, he'll still be doing double the speed limit because of an uncalibrated speedometer.


As for 16 year olds getting brand new cars from their parents, here's a quick list of some at my school.

15 year old girl - 2005 GTO (auto...)
15 year old girl - 2006 Mustang V6 auto
15 year old boys with: - 2005 Ram 4WD Hemi auto
- 2005 Silverado with 5.7L 4WD
- 2005 Silverado with 5.7L 4WD

So, the fastest car in the parking lot will either be that GTO (she turns 16 this month), or a senior's (guy) six speed ~'97 Camaro Z28 with some engine work.


Basically, I wish I could have got the '86 MR2 I was looking at for under $1000. I ended up with a '99 Grand Am GT, which I could be completely happy with if it had a five speed.
 
The people like the driver of that STI make me want to cry. Partly because our insurance rate go up, and the rest because he just wrecked an STI.

KNOW YOUR LIMITS. It isn't that hard.

And don't try to learn them in an STI either.
 
People are crazy about giving their kids expensive cars from new. My roommate has a supercharged Range Rover, which is the most expensive car on campus, but it's not the only Range Rover. I drove the fastest car at my high school, but it was only $6000, and I received a gigantic ticket in it. I can't imagine if it had been even more powerful. I think the most valuable car at my high school was some girl's '06 Jeep Liberty Sport, which she of course crashed.
 
👍 👍 👍
First of all, an aneurysm, by definition is a permanent cardiac or arterial dilatation usually caused by weakening of the vessel wall. Your not healthy, get that checked out, because if you obviously understood, seeing that your reply was sooooo well thought out. Im not being a smart ass, I let Webster do that for me. Why is it that you in your math equation above used the fastest speed we were traveling, but not the speed at the the time of the wreck? I dont have to skew the facts to make them seem more favorable to my opinion.
My point was simple. Have you ever traveled 2.5 times faster than the traffic around you at any time in your life? If so...then don't criticize. Basically its obvious that there were many unsafe things that could have been prevented by human and mechanical corrections. We definately should not have been traveling over the speed limit, not to mention driving in those wet conditions with dry season POTENZAs. I apologize for being unsafe, because that seems to be the basis of your opinion, but that is a choice that I and my friend made.
👍 👍 👍

Way to stick it to the man. BTW, sorry for 2 consecutive posts.
 
At least he'll be perfectly safe in his great big truck.

Safer if he encounters another vehicle. If he goes agricultural again the extra mass of the truck won't do him much good. Full sized trucks 'score' well against cars, but don't fare better than a regular car when it comes to hitting trees or rolling into an embankment. Sometimes they are worse off.


M
 
I've found the concept of buying kids brand new cars laughable ever since I first got into high school in 2002. I remember one of the seniors (I think it was a senior) had a brand new (I remember because it was a 35th Anniversary car) Camaro SS, which he crashed (and totalled) literally weeks into the school year after buying it in August.
 
Potenza tires suck (especially the Subaru factory tires, they have a wear rating of 180 or something like that). They let me get sideways when I didn't want to in the rain all the time (like on a highway offramp with concrete barriers on either side with my mom in the passenger seat....)
 
Sweet, that means I can criticize. :indiff:

I'm sorry if I come off rude and abrupt, but I see thread's like these as a call for sympathy, and frankly I can't feel sympathy for someone who's done something lacking common sense as much as this. Yes, my opinion is based on safety, and had it been based on anything else, I wouldn't have commented. I've seen far too many people perish due to reckless acts of driving, and I may be a little bit different than most, due to seeing a few family members pass away due to someone else's mistakes.

I didn't really skew the facts, since skewing (using Webster's, just like you did ;)) is a distortion especially from a true value or symmetrical form. I did take the most drastic sequence to emphasize a point, that is true. And, maybe it was a little unnecessary and over the top, but it did prove a point. You were traveling way beyond your own capable boundaries, and that's shown evident by the outcome.

Friend, I would say that you and me had a verbal battle but that is the beauty of this forum anyway...I got a good laugh in your Webster comeback to my Webster comback lol, and I do understand your taking of the most drastic sequence...

To the others that are still criticizing, here are a few questions and comments.

HONESTLY, if your parents offered you an STI for your first car you would not take it?

With all of this talk of us avoiding the wreck by means of driving skill, how many of you have avoided a potential wreck in the moment of it occuring in the first place? We did gain control, if you refer back to my DETAILS post...but we used the whole road to do so, and the oncoming car was a root cause to the later sequence of events.

The factory Potenzas are by far some of the worst tires I have ever come in contact with.

NEWS FLASH...COME TO FIND OUT...
there is no posted speed limit on the road in which the wreck occured. I talked to my friend who was driving and he said the officer had to look up the limit in the days that followed.

And to those of you talking of taking the car to the limit, that was not our intention in the first place, far from it, an abrupt slight counter steering movement may have been what caused the car to lose control...

And btw 29 degrees Farhenheit is below freezing, but the roads were wet, as in thin layer of moisture on top of them, it had been drying for several hours before it got cold enough to freeze and by that time there were no sitting puddles, and if so very small ones...my point is that Arkansas weather is tropical for the most part. The high that day was around 70 i believe and it dropped to the 30s after being dark for about 1 to 2 hours, therefore the temperature was not cold enough long enough to freeze the moisture on the roads, because the ground temp was much hotter at the time of the wreck.

I will try to reply to all relevant post as soon as possible...

One more thing, it has been mentioned about naming this thread as a wrecked car thread??? any ideas ?
 
The people like the driver of that STI make me want to cry. Partly because our insurance rate go up, and the rest because he just wrecked an STI.

KNOW YOUR LIMITS. It isn't that hard.

And don't try to learn them in an STI either.

Do you know your limits my friend? Because the engine sound from a 300 hp turbocharged flat four is like the song of a siren...

What do you drive? jw...
 
HONESTLY, if your parents offered you an STI for your first car you would not take it?
While the rest of your post was quite good, I have to reply to this:
No. No way in hell. The power limits of the STi, as forgivable as the car is at the limit, are far too high for anyone without experience to use. And sure as hell that applies to anyone with a fresh licence. I can think of only one car with similar limits to the STi that I would even consider touching, and that is for a completely different reason.
 
I'm sorry if I come off rude and abrupt, but I see thread's like these as a call for sympathy

It will be a year since the wreck, this saturday, this by no means was a call for sympathy, just an educated discussion
 
I can think of only one car with similar limits to the STi that I would even consider touching, and that is for a completely different reason.

What car is that? just curious? if you are driving now, what do you drive?
 
What car is that? just curious? if you are driving now, what do you drive?
Nissan 300ZX Z32, though my reasons would have pretty much nothing to do with the car's performance..
I am driving now, and my current car is a 1994 S-10 Chevy Blazer. Big, slow, cheap and relatively safe. A perfect first car. And it can be fun in ways other than those involving high speeds or high power.
 
HONESTLY, if your parents offered you an STI for your first car you would not take it?
---
No, I wouldn't.
---
With all of this talk of us avoiding the wreck by means of driving skill, how many of you have avoided a potential wreck in the moment of it occuring in the first place? We did gain control, if you refer back to my DETAILS post...but we used the whole road to do so, and the oncoming car was a root cause to the later sequence of events.
---

If you're on the wrong side of the road I don't think you can possibly say you're in control of the car.
--------

NEWS FLASH...COME TO FIND OUT...
there is no posted speed limit on the road in which the wreck occured. I talked to my friend who was driving and he said the officer had to look up the limit in the days that followed.
---

So you need speed limits to tell you what a safe speed is? He had no judgement of his own on tricky conditions?

---

Answered within.
 
While the rest of your post was quite good, I have to reply to this:
No. No way in hell. The power limits of the STi, as forgivable as the car is at the limit, are far too high for anyone without experience to use. And sure as hell that applies to anyone with a fresh licence. I can think of only one car with similar limits to the STi that I would even consider touching, and that is for a completely different reason.

I got my STi as first car, short after receiving my licence. As a present for my successful driving licence my dad rented me a C32 AMG with 340 hp ONE day after I got my licence. I drove 280 that day on the Autobahn and also drove it hard in corners it ( tbh it sucked big time as traction control ruined all the fun and I didn't have the balls to turn it off ;) ).

Well my STi still runs, I had no accident and I drove it hard since it had its first 2000 km on the odometer.

I don't want to start a discussion about that now, but there is no reason why a mature, talented :sly: and responsible beginner with afresh licence should not drive a STI right from the start. The handling, the brakes, everything is first class, which is imo a safety bonus.

I always have a little extra power when I overtake cars or trucks, the average 90 hp car hasn't. If I miscalculated the situation I can still push the pedal to the metal and my suspension, my Brembo brakes and my Bridgestone tires help me to get the car back on the right lane even on higher speeds...

Believe it or not, it wasn't (only) luck that I had no accident so far... the STi is a great car and I'm a good driver, so why not ? I'm not driving a lot better than I did with 18 although I still drive hard and over 20000 miles a year.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend the STi to every young guy with a fresh licence, I only say that some can handle such a car without being a ticking time bomb...
 
HONESTLY, if your parents offered you an STI for your first car you would not take it?

With all of this talk of us avoiding the wreck by means of driving skill, how many of you have avoided a potential wreck in the moment of it occuring in the first place?

I would have in a heartbeat.

I understand 'self-control' and I rarely floor my car. My car isn't even all that powerful (170hp) and I still have respect for the small power it has. So I believe I would be more than able to drive a car with twice the power, I mean seriously no one forces you to slam the gas pedal down. If you can exercise restraint, it doesn't matter how much power the car has.

When conditions are adverse, I drive slower than the people driving 4 cylinder automatics. As soon as any precipitation starts hitting my tires, I slow down to the speed limit (usually I'm over it by 8-10 mph). If it is snowing I go below it because my car handles like crap in the snow, probably due to the tires on it. When I make a turn in the snow, I'm literally coasting. Even in an AWD Subaru, I would drive with the same caution, especially in that situation. No f'ing way I would have gone up to 65 approaching the corner in the dark, with wet pavement.

However even if I don't floor my car too often or zip around wet turns, I do exceed the speed limit by a large margin when I'm in the mood for it. Yesterday I did two dangerous manuevers while driving back to work, and either could have ended up in a wrecked car if other people suddenly changed lanes. So I guess that makes me a hypocrite.
 
Have you ever traveled 2.5 times faster than the traffic around you at any time in your life? If so...then don't criticize.
No, I've never done 50 mph in a 20mph zone, 75mph in a 30mph zone, 100mph in a 40mph zone ect. I'm not saying I've never exceeded the speed limit, general traffic flow is rarely at or below the speed limit, that's generally how I drive, I follow the flow of traffic. 99% of drivers speed, but it's to what extent that get's me. Sure you shouldn't, and anyone that knows me knows that I have zero sympathy for people that kill themselves in car crashes when they were speeding or street racing. Most of the time it's young people who have wasted thier lives, well screw them. Harsh but that's my honest view on people who use excessive speed on any public roads, rural or urban I don't care they can kill themselves all they want, I'd just prefer they did it by putting a gun to their heads in their garages or something where there's on chance they'll take someone else out with them. Most people have the urge to put their foot down, but I sure as hell would not try going round tight corners (and I presume the one you went round was blind as well) in the wet at over 30mph.

I apologize for being unsafe, because that seems to be the basis of your opinion, but that is a choice that I and my friend made.
It's a choice you both made that ended up affecting someone else, someone unnivolved, someone who I'm pretty sure would have rather not have been involved in a crash that night. It is so selfish to use that reasoning, you perhaps just haven't realised. If the decision would only ever affect the two of you, and only the two of you then I wouldn't see any problem, but that's not the case. Theres a story I must have told a thousand times already on here. I used to know a lad called Jon who got his driving license as soon as he legally could, nothing wrong with that. He got his first car which was a sporty hatchback, again nothing wrong with that. But what he did do, was have a tendency to race around rural roads regularly, he was a good driver, I used to race with him on a track in karts and I'd seen him race in cars and he'd even done some junior rallying. His knowledge of cars, engines, how to control a car was better than anyone elses that I've personally known. But he thought that meant he wouldn't get into trouble driving fast on the streets, and I mean fast. 50mph+ on a 30mph rural road ect. But you cannot prepare for the unexpected, and one night, he didn't expect there to be a woman by the road round a corner in a 20mph zone and he hit her. She was pregnant, and I mean was because the impact killed the baby. He was just a kid who thought he could handle driving that fast in a car and had made that choice. That choice killed someone and it was not him.

HONESTLY, if your parents offered you an STI for your first car you would not take it?
Honeslty I don't know, I'd probably have asked for a cheap car and the insurance to be paid instead.

With all of this talk of us avoiding the wreck by means of driving skill, how many of you have avoided a potential wreck in the moment of it occuring in the first place?
I've never put myself in the position where I've had to avoid a potential wreck.

We did gain control, if you refer back to my DETAILS post...but we used the whole road to do so, and the oncoming car was a root cause to the later sequence of events.
The oncoming car was not a root cause for the events, you losing control and ending up on the wrong side of the road was the root cause, if you hadn't lost control the crash wouldn't have happened.

there is no posted speed limit on the road in which the wreck occured. I talked to my friend who was driving and he said the officer had to look up the limit in the days that followed.
Read the highway code, that will tell you what the speed limit of a rural/urban road with no posted limit will be, you should have been taught that before you passed your test.

And to those of you talking of taking the car to the limit, that was not our intention in the first place, far from it, an abrupt slight counter steering movement may have been what caused the car to lose control...
Which mean you took the car beyond it's limits, because control was lost.

Do you know your limits my friend? Because the engine sound from a 300 hp turbocharged flat four is like the song of a siren...
Which is no reason to go 2.5 times the speed limit.

What do you drive? jw...
I know you wern't asking me but anyway, I drive a VW Bora V5 and a Pugeot 306 1.9 TDi.

It will be a year since the wreck, this saturday, this by no means was a call for sympathy, just an educated discussion
Which is good, because sympathy is the last thing I'd expect if I was in your shoes ;).
 
+ rep for that post, L4S.
 
GT P.I.M.P.
Have you ever traveled 2.5 times faster than the traffic around you at any time in your life? If so...then don't criticize.

I think it's hilarious that you asked this question honestly. I got pulled over for doing seventy six miles per hours in a 35 zone. Seventy six. And that wasn't even approaching 2.5 times the limit. Once I topped 130, which wasn't even double the posted speed limit. I'm a crazy driver. Have I ever done 2.5 times the limit? Not a chance.
 
I think it's hilarious that you asked this question honestly. I got pulled over for doing seventy six miles per hours in a 35 zone. Seventy six. And that wasn't even approaching 2.5 times the limit. Once I topped 130, which wasn't even double the posted speed limit. I'm a crazy driver. Have I ever done 2.5 times the limit? Not a chance.

Well 2,5 times more is a lot, although you can think of situations where it isn't as crazy as it sounds.
Example : Tuesday 2 am at a part of the highway which gets repaired at day time. Limit is 25, which is ok for the rushhour with people working there, but 2 am, the streets is only 3 feet more narrow than normal, nobody there, well... let's say it is not totally insane to drive 75 in that situation.

Example : German Autobahn... we have many many parts with 80 km/h max allthough without heavy traffic you could easily drive 300 km/h just like at any other part of the Autobahn without limit.

Example : again 2 am at tuesday ;) industrial area... long straight wide streets made for trucks, nobody there, normal limit 30 mph... why not drive 90 ? I mean again, it'S wrong to a certain degree, but no suicide mission...
 
Example : again 2 am at tuesday ;) industrial area... long straight wide streets made for trucks, nobody there, normal limit 30 mph... why not drive 90 ? I mean again, it'S wrong to a certain degree, but no suicide mission...

I basically do the same thing, on a deserted or nearly empty road.

But the fact remains, we cannot predict the unexpected. It goes without saying. Even 'safe' speeding is never safe. If even driving at the speed limit can still get you in a world of trouble very quickly from unseen circumstances, tripling the limit just magnifies the chance of it happening to us.
 
But the fact remains, we cannot predict the unexpected. It goes without saying. Even 'safe' speeding is never safe. If even driving at the speed limit can still get you in a world of trouble very quickly from unseen circumstances, tripling the limit just magnifies the chance of it happening to us.
No doubt about that !
 
Do you know your limits my friend? Because the engine sound from a 300 hp turbocharged flat four is like the song of a siren...

What do you drive? jw...
After a year of driving,(my first at that) that was all done in a very spirited manner, I think I do. I've drifted a car before, but I didn't overcorrect or spin out in any of the many times I did. Oh, and it wasn't in a wet dark narrow road either.

Maybe I should have said know your car's limits, but the car obviously has greater limits than your friend, so I said to know your own limits first.
 
Well 2,5 times more is a lot, although you can think of situations where it isn't as crazy as it sounds.
Example : Tuesday 2 am at a part of the highway which gets repaired at day time. Limit is 25, which is ok for the rushhour with people working there, but 2 am, the streets is only 3 feet more narrow than normal, nobody there, well... let's say it is not totally insane to drive 75 in that situation.

When the hell does the highway limit drop to 25 and then stay that way at 2am? Even during serious expansion on the Interstate that runs through Denver, the speed limit never dropped below 45 and when workers weren't working it was always put back to at least 55.

Example : German Autobahn... we have many many parts with 80 km/h max allthough without heavy traffic you could easily drive 300 km/h just like at any other part of the Autobahn without limit.

Example : again 2 am at tuesday ;) industrial area... long straight wide streets made for trucks, nobody there, normal limit 30 mph... why not drive 90 ? I mean again, it'S wrong to a certain degree, but no suicide mission...

Let me point out that regardless of their righteousness, none of these situations applied to GT PIMP...
 


Most of the time it's young people who have wasted thier lives, well screw them. Harsh but that's my honest view on people who use excessive speed on any public roads, rural or urban I don't care they can kill themselves all they want, I'd just prefer they did it by putting a gun to their heads in their garages or something where there's on chance they'll take someone else out with them. Most people have the urge to put their foot down, but I sure as hell would not try going round tight corners (and I presume the one you went round was blind as well) in the wet at over 30mph.

In some shape, form, or fashion, I feel that this first statement about young people and street racing is indirectly directed to me and my friend. We were not street racing, and at no time did we accelerate at near full potential. The corner was not a blind corner...frankly, I myself apply the brakes and go on alert before any blind corner or hill. And as far as the street racing comment, we are not street racers, nor do we pretend to be. Not everyone was affected by the street racing introduction to the world as HOLLYWOOD would depict it. So are you preaching? I’m not sure if I understand where your coming from.

NOTE...the corner was not a tight corner, it was an abrupt right turn, with an angle of maybe 25-30 degrees to the right.

It's a choice you both made that ended up affecting someone else, someone unnivolved, someone who I'm pretty sure would have rather not have been involved in a crash that night. It is so selfish to use that reasoning, you perhaps just haven't realised. If the decision would only ever affect the two of you, and only the two of you then I wouldn't see any problem, but that's not the case.

I completely agree with you to a certain extent. First of all, this is not the first time I have heard about stories such as the one you told. A vehicle can be the most dangerous weapon under the control of certain people.
In our case, the wreck could have been a lot worse. It had the potential of a head on, however, the outcome was a dent to the front left wheel well on the oncoming car that we made contact with. We knew the people that we hit, not that that matters because worst case scenario, any one of us involved could have parished.
As far as me realizing, I have completely changed my driving manners, as well as my friend, we encourage people not to do split second acts that could end in serious consequences...selfish?, maybe, but then again you don’t know me do you?


I've never put myself in the position where I've had to avoid a potential wreck.

So you have never slammed on your brakes to avoid hitting a slow moving, or still motorist who has just pulled out in front of you, or swerved in any situation to avoid a collision...my point is that not all situations are one’s that you put yourself into, these situations can find you.


Read the highway code, that will tell you what the speed limit of a rural/urban road with no posted limit will be, you should have been taught that before you passed your test.
Where you taught this?

Which is no reason to go 2.5 times the speed limit.
Never said it was...
 
Maybe I should have said know your car's limits, but the car obviously has greater limits than your friend, so I said to know your own limits first.
I understand :)
 
If you're on the wrong side of the road I don't think you can possibly say you're in control of the car.

I think its debateable
 
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend the STi to every young guy with a fresh licence, I only say that some can handle such a car without being a ticking time bomb...

I agree
 
^The rare quadruple post 👍
Well 2,5 times more is a lot, although you can think of situations where it isn't as crazy as it sounds.
Doing 15 in a 5 is the only one I can think of (school parking lot). Doing 2.5 times any other posted limit is insane.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back