Totalled STi

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pelikan
  • 121 comments
  • 5,696 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's hilarious that you asked this question honestly. I got pulled over for doing seventy six miles per hours in a 35 zone. Seventy six. And that wasn't even approaching 2.5 times the limit. Once I topped 130, which wasn't even double the posted speed limit. I'm a crazy driver. Have I ever done 2.5 times the limit? Not a chance.

I should have clarified. The lower the speed limit, the lower is 2.5 times the speed limit...and when this was mentioned in earlier post it was apply to a low limit, such as 25 mph.
Driving 2.5 times the limit in a higher speed limit zone would bring the speed of your vehicle from potentially dangerous...to just suicidal.
I read about a guy who wrecked his porsche...it had like 800 hp...he was going 180 in a 65...thats pretty close to 2.5 times the limit...insane
 
OK...
first let me clarify several things before I begin to tell the details...
I am not a new member. I have been a member for say 3 or 4 years, I just rarely ever post, there’s no need to for sum people. The reason I haven’t posted this in the first place is because my computer has been down off and on and in all of that time I wasn’t worried about sharing pics of the wreck...

Details, here ya go...
The STi was a gift for his 16th B-Day...it was either that or a G35 or S2000...him and his family drove to Dallas to a dealership and drove it home to hot springs, Arkansas, where I live.
That OR? Yeah, I think your friend has proven the theory "new drivers should not drive such powerful cars."
He had had the car for about three months when the wreck happened...By the way...the officer who arrived first on the scene lost control also but gained it quickly. he gave Stevan, my friend a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...what an ass! at least it was a speeding ticket, I guess.
Wow, he gave your friend a speeding ticket for speeding! What an asshole!
[/sarcasm]

Mr rovens,
I think you missed the point...the officer loses control on the same road that we do...and he gives US a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...
But the officer wasn't doing 50Mph on a road where the general limit would be 20Mph.

C'mon, any idiot knows that it's incredibly rare for any car to take such a sharp turn with water on the road at 50Mph from what you've described of the road.

As for taking an STi, yeah, I'd take it. But only if I knew my guardians were also paying the insurance. I don't drive powerful sports cars without knowing there's an insurance agency behind me.
 
Not to post off topic but please use the edit button instead of posting several times in a row, good way to avoid getting flamed
 
I think its debateable

Absolutely not.

Control was lost when your friend could not keep the car in the intended lane, end of debate.

Think about how silly this sounds. Imagine this scenario. Let's say somebody was swerving left and right taking up the entire road in front of you and hits you head on. When the cops arrive, it is determined that 50 feet before plowing into your car, they had just regained 'control' but were in your lane still. The cop doesn't write them a ticket and their insurance won't pay for the damages to your car.

You would be pissed off, full of vehement anger, right????

No motorist should have to deal with avoiding another car due to instability problems. It's the whole 'going too fast for conditions' thing. Ever hear of that? It's one of two things any cop can use his judgment to write you a ticket for. So even if you had been obeying the posted speed limit, most cops would agree you were still speeding (going too fast for conditions). Which is highlighted by the fact that the 5-0 regained control without weaving far into another lane.
 
I should preface this by saying that I drive a 2005 STi, and that while I have empathy for teenage mistakes, I have very little sympathy. I hate kids just as much now as I did when I was a young. ;)


HONESTLY, if your parents offered you an STI for your first car you would not take it?

Oh, I'd have taken it at age 16, but that's because like all teenagers, my decision-making abilities were not quite what they should be. (No, I'm not being sarcastic.) Other people older than 16 who are saying they wouldn't take it are lying...unless they're really are 16. That doesn't make it the right gift for a 16-year-old. I feel that all kids should be taught to earn things, not just receive them. I'm sure many of us could go on an endless rant about today's rotten youth, but it's old hat because the story really isn't new. There's always been spoiled kids, because there's always been parents stupid enough to raise them that way.


GT P.I.M.P
With all of this talk of us avoiding the wreck by means of driving skill, how many of you have avoided a potential wreck in the moment of it occuring in the first place? We did gain control, if you refer back to my DETAILS post...but we used the whole road to do so, and the oncoming car was a root cause to the later sequence of events.

If he regained control, why are we having this discussion?


GT P.I.M.P
The factory Potenzas are by far some of the worst tires I have ever come in contact with.

They're summer tires, and they're awesome -- in the SUMMER. This happened in the winter, and it was wet. Just what you guys were thinking is beyond me...but honestly I understand where the poor decision-making came from. There are teenagers everywhere who do the same moronic things (as I admit to having done back then). The difference is that you guys just went too far, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

GT P.I.M.P
NEWS FLASH...COME TO FIND OUT...
there is no posted speed limit on the road in which the wreck occured. I talked to my friend who was driving and he said the officer had to look up the limit in the days that followed.

If that's so, why did you say your were doing double the posted limit?


GT P.I.M.P
And btw 29 degrees Farhenheit is below freezing, but the roads were wet, as in thin layer of moisture on top of them, it had been drying for several hours before it got cold enough to freeze and by that time there were no sitting puddles, and if so very small ones...

I can attest to that. It's actually common in the Northeast. Sometimes it's because the temperature has only recently dropped so low, but usually because the road is either dirty (salt, oil, etc.) or heated from the underground sewer system. Either way, it's a bad surface to drive on.


GT P.I.M.P
live4speed
Read the highway code, that will tell you what the speed limit of a rural/urban road with no posted limit will be, you should have been taught that before you passed your test.
Where you taught this?

You're about 16, and you don't remember your learner's permit test? :odd:
 
Safer if he encounters another vehicle. If he goes agricultural again the extra mass of the truck won't do him much good. Full sized trucks 'score' well against cars, but don't fare better than a regular car when it comes to hitting trees or rolling into an embankment. Sometimes they are worse off.


M

That was sarcasm. ;)
 
So, let me get this straight -- GT PIMP creates a thread posting up pictures of a "low-speed" accident that happened one year ago, which later turns out to be a case of an inexperienced driver making a poor decision in an expensive car that had capabilities way, way beyond his limits, involving taking a sudden turn at twice the speed limit (maybe not?) on a "wet-looking" road surface when the temperature outside was below freezing and the car was equipped with summer tires.........and then gets defensive when everyone calls him and his friend out for their poor judgment?

Is this thread for real? :odd:
 
I should preface this by saying that I drive a 2005 STi, and that while I have empathy for teenage mistakes, I have very little sympathy. I hate kids just as much now as I did when I was a young. ;)

Oh, I'd have taken it at age 16, but that's because like all teenagers, my decision-making abilities were not quite what they should be. (No, I'm not being sarcastic.) Other people older than 16 who are saying they wouldn't take it are lying...unless they're really are 16. That doesn't make it the right gift for a 16-year-old. I feel that all kids should be taught to earn things, not just receive them. I'm sure many of us could go on an endless rant about today's rotten youth, but it's old hat because the story really isn't new. There's always been spoiled kids, because there's always been parents stupid enough to raise them that way.

Oh come on... well I even think that we discussed the same subject in another thread before... like a year ago or so...
However, please change the way you express yourself. You're too absolute. Use terms like : imo, I think, if you ask me, can, should...
Why? Because when you don't use them you sound like you are the one who knows the ultimate truth. Well your "I feel" was a step into the right direction, but you have to understand that after combining the fact that I got my STi with 18 without earning a penny for it and "today's rotten youth" and "parents who are stupid enough" I kind of had to react you know...

Because saying it the way you said it is BS... and I would be one of the many examples. Because my parents are neither stupid in general (graduated from university etc ) nor to the aspect that "spoiling" me made me "rotten". I never earned anything from my car over my Japan journey over to my 55 inch Full HDTV ( man this thing rocks ;) ) and yet I'm studying medicine at university...
 
I basically do the same thing, on a deserted or nearly empty road.

But the fact remains, we cannot predict the unexpected. It goes without saying. Even 'safe' speeding is never safe. If even driving at the speed limit can still get you in a world of trouble very quickly from unseen circumstances, tripling the limit just magnifies the chance of it happening to us.

Especially when approaching a tight corner on a wet road.
 
And, lest we forget, the speed limit can be much higher than the safe maximum speed.
 
So, let me get this straight -- GT PIMP creates a thread posting up pictures of a "low-speed" accident that happened one year ago, which later turns out to be a case of an inexperienced driver making a poor decision in an expensive car that had capabilities way, way beyond his limits, involving taking a sudden turn at twice the speed limit (maybe not?) on a "wet-looking" road surface when the temperature outside was below freezing and the car was equipped with summer tires.........and then gets defensive when everyone calls him and his friend out for their poor judgment?

Is this thread for real? :odd:

You forgot about the cop being an ass because he gave them a speeding ticket for doing 50 in a 20. :rolleyes:
 
In some shape, form, or fashion, I feel that this first statement about young people and street racing is indirectly directed to me and my friend. We were not street racing, and at no time did we accelerate at near full potential.
Yes it was but I was combining street racing with excessive speeding, street racing and excessive speeding are both just as bad imo and you were speeding, excessively.

The corner was not a blind corner...frankly, I myself apply the brakes and go on alert before any blind corner or hill.
Then you should have seen the other car coming, the fact it wasn't a blind corner and you managed to hit an oncoming car makes this incident even worse in some ways.

So are you preaching? I’m not sure if I understand where your coming from.
Preaching or not you decide. You have to remember I don't know you, or your friend, I have no idea if you really are street races or not beyong what you say and you never said before now. I was simply stating my views on the subject matter as a whole, that covers excessive speeding and racing on public streets.

NOTE...the corner was not a tight corner, it was an abrupt right turn, with an angle of maybe 25-30 degrees to the right.
You yourself said it was "mainly because it was a very sharp ABRUPT right hander" a sharp corner is a tight corner. Regardless, you also said it was a corner that should be taken at very slow speeds, but you tried to take it fast. You crashed.

I completely agree with you to a certain extent. First of all, this is not the first time I have heard about stories such as the one you told. A vehicle can be the most dangerous weapon under the control of certain people. In our case, the wreck could have been a lot worse. It had the potential of a head on, however, the outcome was a dent to the front left wheel well on the oncoming car that we made contact with. We knew the people that we hit, not that that matters because worst case scenario, any one of us involved could have parished.
Then what's the extent that you dissagree?

As far as me realizing, I have completely changed my driving manners, as well as my friend, we encourage people not to do split second acts that could end in serious consequences.
Thats good.

selfish?, maybe, but then again you don’t know me do you?
No, but that doesn't mean I can't recognise if someone has done something selfish or not, stupid or not. I don't know Saddam Hussain but I know he deserved to die. I didn't know Harold Shipman but I know he was a control freak as well as a murderer.

So you have never slammed on your brakes to avoid hitting a slow moving, or still motorist who has just pulled out in front of you, or swerved in any situation to avoid a collision...my point is that not all situations are one’s that you put yourself into, these situations can find you.
My words were, "I've never put myself", if someone pulls out of a side road infront of me suddenly and I have to brake hard to avoid a crash that's not a situation I've created. The car pulling out created it. In your case, you created the situation where you lost control and crashed.

Where you taught this?
Yes, it's one of the very first things I was taught.

And, lest we forget, the speed limit can be much higher than the safe maximum speed.
Exactley, if the weather is bad the maximum speed limits are usually higher than the safe speed limit.
 
Wow. I cannot believe I just read all of that.

When will people learn that preformance cars do not belong in the hands of 16yr olds?
 
So, let me get this straight -- GT PIMP creates a thread posting up pictures of a "low-speed" accident that happened one year ago, which later turns out to be a case of an inexperienced driver making a poor decision in an expensive car that had capabilities way, way beyond his limits, involving taking a sudden turn at twice the speed limit (maybe not?) on a "wet-looking" road surface when the temperature outside was below freezing and the car was equipped with summer tires.........and then gets defensive when everyone calls him and his friend out for their poor judgment?

Is this thread for real? :odd:


+Rep. The world gets stranger every day.


M
 
Wow. I cannot believe I just read all of that.

When will people learn that preformance cars do not belong in the hands of 16yr olds?

I'd love to see different licenses for higher powered cars.

How someone can drive a 1,000 hp car (ok the Veyron is expensive and rare but that's not my point) whilst having maybe 40 hours of driving experience is a little silly don't you think?

You have different licenses for faster planes why not for faster cars?
 
I'd love to see different licenses for higher powered cars.

How someone can drive a 1,000 hp car (ok the Veyron is expensive and rare but that's not my point) whilst having maybe 40 hours of driving experience is a little silly don't you think?

You have different licenses for faster planes why not for faster cars?

It could be a good idea and certainly makes sense but assuming that the car is to be driven legally than it shouldn't be a problem. But doing a course on handling high power cars would be beneficial and should be advised.
 
Definitely.

I'm sure trying to control a STi in a skid would be different than doing the same in a 1.1 Clio. Wouldn't it?
 
Yeah. The Clio would probably handle better.







[/joke]
 
Absolutely not.

Control was lost when your friend could not keep the car in the intended lane, end of debate.

Think about how silly this sounds. Imagine this scenario. Let's say somebody was swerving left and right taking up the entire road in front of you and hits you head on. When the cops arrive, it is determined that 50 feet before plowing into your car, they had just regained 'control' but were in your lane still. The cop doesn't write them a ticket and their insurance won't pay for the damages to your car.

You would be pissed off, full of vehement anger, right????

No motorist should have to deal with avoiding another car due to instability problems. It's the whole 'going too fast for conditions' thing. Ever hear of that? It's one of two things any cop can use his judgment to write you a ticket for. So even if you had been obeying the posted speed limit, most cops would agree you were still speeding (going too fast for conditions). Which is highlighted by the fact that the 5-0 regained control without weaving far into another lane.

I stand corrected :)
 
defensive when everyone calls him and his friend out for their poor judgment?

Is this thread for real? :odd:

...i said that we were wrong a long long long time ago...the reason I am defensive could be becuase thats a common human trait, but maybe it's because I'm hearing things that I don't agree with...just my opinion to certain post...and really do you expect me to not be defensice when I get agressive, "you must be stupid" post, did I insult anyone? why should I not be defensive. And one more reason for me to be defensive is people call us out for our poor judgement as if it isn't already apparent to us that we made poor judgment...by doing so, they are pretty much categorizing us under the cliche, spoiled stupid kids...maybe less radical post would stop my defensiveness, but until we learn our manners...Ill debate to the grave.

You forgot about the cop being an ass because he gave them a speeding ticket for doing 50 in a 20. :rolleyes:

The cop did not give us a ticket for speeding...the reason I said he was an as is because he lost control also and gave one for failure to maintain control...thats the irony

Then what's the extent that you dissagree?
I disagree with this statement...
It is so selfish to use that reasoning, you perhaps just haven't realised.
Because YOU accused me of being selfish in a judging manner...i agree with pretty much the rest of the things you mentioned in that post except for this.

Which is highlighted by the fact that the 5-0 regained control without weaving far into another lane.

IMO this statement can not really be used to prove a point, because neither you nor I know exactly what happened in regards to the cop losing control, or what side of the road he ended up on;)
 
...i said that we were wrong a long long long time ago...the reason I am defensive could be becuase thats a common human trait, but maybe it's because I'm hearing things that I don't agree with...just my opinion to certain post...and really do you expect me to not be defensice when I get agressive, "you must be stupid" post, did I insult anyone? why should I not be defensive. And one more reason for me to be defensive is people call us out for our poor judgement as if it isn't already apparent to us that we made poor judgment...by doing so, they are pretty much categorizing us under the cliche, spoiled stupid kids...maybe less radical post would stop my defensiveness, but until we learn our manners...Ill debate to the grave.
Look, I understand where you're coming from, and although I've been fortunate enough, blessed even, to have never made a catastrophic error in judgment on the road, I've been there when friends or highschool classmates have done so...

...but you don't post this kind of thing on an internet forum expecting sympathy, particularly when no one was hurt (fortunately).

The cop did not give us a ticket for speeding...the reason I said he was an as is because he lost control also and gave one for failure to maintain control...thats the irony
I believe this was already said, but his brief bout of oversteer didn't end with him clipping a car and ending up in a ditch. It is kinda funny that he gave you a ticket for what he kinda did when he showed up, yes, but it's not grounds to call him an ass.

As a couple of teenagers in an STi, he probably could have given you two a lot more hell, so be glad to have ended up with just the "failure to maintain conditions" ticket.
 
...but you don't post this kind of thing on an internet forum expecting sympathy, particularly when no one was hurt (fortunately).

It is kinda funny that he gave you a ticket for what he kinda did when he showed up, yes, but it's not grounds to call him an ass.

As a couple of teenagers in an STi, he probably could have given you two a lot more hell, so be glad to have ended up with just the "failure to maintain conditions" ticket.

First of all, this has already been said but I did not post this looking for sympathy, IMO those looking for sympathy are just taking advantage of other people...I did not have that intention...I posted for discussion, once again, that has already been mentioned...

I do admit that calling the officer an ass was completely wrong, COMPLETELY WRONG...the consequence he gave us was definately very light.
 
First of all, this has already been said but I did not post this looking for sympathy, IMO those looking for sympathy are just taking advantage of other people...I did not have that intention...I posted for discussion, once again, that has already been mentioned...
Sorry, I missed the part where that was mentioned.

Alright, so you're not looking for sympathy. One opposite of sympathy is disdain, which is what you're getting. But you don't want that, either (even though you really should have expected it).

You just want us to discuss an event that only you and your friend (and the cop and other driver) experienced, without giving you sympathy or pointing out your poor judgement. Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is left to discuss under those terms?
 
The cop did not give us a ticket for speeding...the reason I said he was an as is because he lost control also and gave one for failure to maintain control...thats the irony

So, you lied then.
By the way...the officer who arrived first on the scene lost control also but gained it quickly. he gave Stevan, my friend a ticket for FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CONTROL...what an ass! at least it was a speeding ticket, I guess.
 
So, you lied then.
what i meant to say was at least it wasn't a speeding ticket, I guess.
I didnt lie, just a tipo.
 
Still how is he an ass? He regained control. You didn't. (Probably because he wasn't speeding.)


Maybe you should be thanking the fact he didn't give you a speeding ticket which is what you legally should have gotten instead of calling him an ass for him losing control and giving you a ticket for losing control.
 
Still how is he an ass? He regained control. You didn't. (Probably because he wasn't speeding.)


Maybe you should be thanking the fact he didn't give you a speeding ticket which is what you legally should have gotten instead of calling him an ass for him losing control and giving you a ticket for losing control.

Where the hell are you coming from? I admit that I was completely wrong for callin him an ass so therefore your first question, "how is he an ass?" is void lol...im sorry, just I don't understand what your motive. Is it not evident taht anyone in my situation would not be thankful for not getting a speeding ticket? I never said that I wasn't thanking the fact that he didn't...and again...u bring up me callin him an ass...after I admit that I was wrong...motive???

You just want us to discuss an event that only you and your friend (and the cop and other driver) experienced, without giving you sympathy or pointing out your poor judgement. Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is left to discuss under those terms?

Im not sure...but apparently something if we are still talking now right?
Why are we so critical?...
maybe you shouldnt waste your time here?
 
Maybe the best thing you can do is close your own thread, before someone else does.
 
Where the hell are you coming from? I admit that I was completely wrong for callin him an ass so therefore your first question, "how is he an ass?" is void lol...im sorry, just I don't understand what your motive. Is it not evident taht anyone in my situation would not be thankful for not getting a speeding ticket? I never said that I wasn't thanking the fact that he didn't...and again...u bring up me callin him an ass...after I admit that I was wrong...motive???



Im not sure...but apparently something if we are still talking now right?
Why are we so critical?...
maybe you shouldnt waste your time here?
All I'm seeing is a pointless thread about a kid and his buddy crashing an STi and then getting ticked at an officer for giving him a ticket when he should have gotten a ticket anyways for something else, and defending his bud's actions against everyone.

Seriously, are you loony? It's almost as if you are defending what you've done.
 
The cop did not give us a ticket for speeding...the reason I said he was an as is because he lost control also and gave one for failure to maintain control...thats the irony
It is ironic, I'll give you that.

I disagree with this statement... " It is so selfish to use that reasoning, you perhaps just haven't realised."
Because YOU accused me of being selfish in a judging manner...i agree with pretty much the rest of the things you mentioned in that post except for this.
Yes I did, however I did not accuse you of being a selfish person. Meerly that you made a decision that was, at it's core, a selfish one. You deciding to speed down that road for your own gratification was selfish, and it led to a crash involving not just you, but an innoccent third party. I'm not judging you as a person based on one action you took years ago that you've already said has had an effect on the way you've drove since then. Infact I commend you for looking at what happened and taking action to prevent it from happening again. Everyone makes selfish choices in life, excessive speeding is one that's particularly bad imo because it can quite easilly lead to the loss of life. There are many other ways you can accidentally kill someone by being less sensible ofcourse, but they arn't anything to do with this discussion. I'm just saying that particualr choice you made to speed down that road was selfish.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back