Toughest Race?

• Thread starter gtmaster08
  • 103 comments
United States
Southern Pines
Saber_Leonhart
Cloud Of Advent
My toughest race was the Grand Valley 300KM race because even though I had a well tuned [R] Mitsubishi GTO Twinturbo, 7 times during the race a NSX-R GT2 managed to pass me! That's what I can't figure out; how can a car with less HP than my GTO's 695 pass me?!

If his car was worse than yours, and yet he still passed you, he must have been driving better than you.

I see. Well, got any tips on how to properly handle a 695 HP GTO? After all, I'm always open to suggestions!:)

race on soft tyres
u have 2 pit more freqantly but tha rate that u drive at makes up tha tym that u spend in tha pit in like 3 laps and then bye that tym ur tyres r green and all ur doing is exstending ur lead well thats how i beat that race but i had a LM GTO 2 contend with and he laps about 3 seconds faster than tha NSX-R but thats just me

I see. Well, got any tips on how to properly handle a 695 HP GTO? After all, I'm always open to suggestions!:)

I believe suspension tuning will do. sucahyo is our man here on GTP (not to put pressure on him); he can help you, providing he is not too busy.

I also think that 695hp is a bit too much for such a race; with less power comes greater handling. Even still, the GTO is not recognized for its cornering prowess. If nothing else can solve it, try a different car. 4WD can seem like a safety guard for anything, but the tires and suspension are important, let alone the brakes.

Back when I first tried this race I used the overkill 930hp GTO TT, that car was invincible for all other races, except this one. I learned the hard way not to rely on power alone. Sure this car is fast when the tires are green, but once it turns yellow its handling suffers drastically and from yellow to go to red it just takes a few laps (because you continually understeers and plows into the gravel, which speeds up the tire wear). But I managed to hang on until the 57th lap, my tires are totally red at that point, and the AI GTO TT with ~600hp passed me on the main straight. I pitted the next lap because the car was undriveable, but it was too late. I placed 2nd. 2 hours work gone just like that.

Then I reentered the race with the GTO LM, and I won.

Like I said, balance is what you want. The GTO is fast, but it's (wayyyy) too heavy and all that weight is hard on the tires.

Conclusion: pick light cars for endurances so your tires last longer, also, avoid 4WD/FF cars as they understeer like mad when the tires are worn. FRs are the best because they turn easier when the tires are worn (watch out for fishtailing though).

Smooth driving style helps too.

race on soft tyres
u have 2 pit more freqantly but tha rate that u drive at makes up tha tym that u spend in tha pit in like 3 laps and then bye that tym ur tyres r green and all ur doing is exstending ur lead well thats how i beat that race but i had a LM GTO 2 contend with and he laps about 3 seconds faster than tha NSX-R but thats just me

Wow, I had no idea it was because of my tires!💡 I guess probably because I used the hard tires for the front and the rear of the car. I didn't want to frequently pit and lose the race, that's all!:)

I actually assumed for a while that I would never win the Hard Tuned Series. I thought it was the part of the game put in there to be "too hard for many people". But eventually I won it, and then I assumed I'd never win the Autumn Ring (reverse) race of that series. But, eventually I did. And, later Autumn Ring (reverse) actually seemed one of the easier races in the series; underpowered cars had a better chance there than at the other tracks.

The Hard-Tuned Series caught most people as hard because all (if I remeber correctly) of the tracks are reversed, and people don't race as much in reverse so they are not as used to it.

Back when I first tried this race I used the overkill 930hp GTO TT, that car was invincible for all other races, except this one. I learned the hard way not to rely on power alone. Sure this car is fast when the tires are green, but once it turns yellow its handling suffers drastically and from yellow to go to red it just takes a few laps (because you continually understeers and plows into the gravel, which speeds up the tire wear). But I managed to hang on until the 57th lap, my tires are totally red at that point, and the AI GTO TT with ~600hp passed me on the main straight. I pitted the next lap because the car was undriveable, but it was too late. I placed 2nd. 2 hours work gone just like that.

Then I reentered the race with the GTO LM, and I won.

Like I said, balance is what you want. The GTO is fast, but it's (wayyyy) too heavy and all that weight is hard on the tires.

Conclusion: pick light cars for endurances so your tires last longer, also, avoid 4WD/FF cars as they understeer like mad when the tires are worn. FRs are the best because they turn easier when the tires are worn (watch out for fishtailing though).

Smooth driving style helps too.
I won this race on my first go. I was using an [R]Dodge Concept car. However, the race was so long that at the half way point my concentration was slipping badly. I spun about 10 times!

I won this race on my first go. I was using an [R]Dodge Concept car. However, the race was so long that at the half way point my concentration was slipping badly. I spun about 10 times!

Oddly, when I lose concentration (maybe subconscious is a better word) at the middle of the race that's when I clocked my fastest laps. Always. Maybe it's because I have played GT a lot and my body had grown accustomed to the actions (it's called muscle memory, someone has posted it here before but I can't remember when or where).

Weird, huh?

It was a long time ago and being inexperienced at the game, I seem to remember the Hard Tuned races as being quite difficult initially.
I certainly remember the incredible sense of satisfaction in eventually winning.
I think I used the '89 Skyline (Godzilla) which worked well, once I tuned out the understeer.
The FTO LM works a treat for the Grand Valley 300 :)

Well, personally.. I consider the Normal Car Cup to be the hardest of all because you need a car that hasn't been modified in any such way. Most races involving street cars can be a mixed bag. That's why I wanted to race a Jaguar XJ220 in GT3's Polyphony Digital Cup back when I was playing GT3. The Normal Car Cup means that you have to be able to win races without using aftermaket parts. If you have a weaker car, you need to be confident you can win the championship as an underdog. It's all about how much trust you put in your car and your ability to win races.

Perhaps my second-toughest was the USA vs. Japan races. I still think that is a fun concept- match up the best of American cars (though there were few) against some of Japan's finest. You can take either side you want, but most important was winning that championship.

Oddly, when I lose concentration (maybe subconscious is a better word) at the middle of the race that's when I clocked my fastest laps. Always. Maybe it's because I have played GT a lot and my body had grown accustomed to the actions (it's called muscle memory, someone has posted it here before but I can't remember when or where).

Weird, huh?

And that it would be.

JohnBM01 is completely correct when he said that the Normal Car Cup was difficult; no car exists in the game which, stock, is guaranteed for a win, thus some bond between the car and driver must exist.

The championships are also fun.

The Nismo 400R and Viper is (almost) a guaranteed win in the Normal Car Cup. The NSX comes a close 2nd, but only if you can control it.

The Nation vs Nation Championships are fun because all cars have RMs and quite a number of manufacturers are involved. I used to play those Championships to death :lol: before I got my IA-License because they're the only races where your opponents are RMed.

Don't play them much these days though. The GT Cup is a more worthy challenge.

Hard-Tuned is difficult because you can't add aero to your car, and the AI drives reasonably well. If you try to use lots of power, your car is a beast to control. Reverse tracks are a problem too, and AI qualifying times are quite good, except for the third race, which is anomalous. First time I qualified for the third race (Clubman Reverse), I expected an easy win because I was first by a mile, but in reality, it was a real shock as the AI charged off (although later I realized they make several mistakes and lose time on the track).

Normal would be really difficult if there weren't Vipers for you to use to outclass the competition. I remember how proud I was the first time I won, using the Viper, but when I check back in my notes, I got a lineup with no NSX.

Even without downforce, the likes of GTO TT & Skyline are still fairly easy to control. But I agree with the AI driving really well, you hardly found them on the grass. Qualifying is hard for all races in GT1 and I don't fancy them that much so I can't comment too much. The Clubman race is intense for the first few laps since the AI always tries to push you against the wall and such, but their performace drops in the later stages of the race.

The Normal NSX drove really well, that's why I got problems beating it in Deep Forest when I myself use NSX. But against the Viper it doesn't stand a chance. Wonder what happens when a Viper shows up in the Normal race, probably many of us won't ever beat it!

I would love the opportunity to try though.

I reckon with all those years experience playing all versions, I would do pretty well.
In fact I am thinking of starting a new GT1 game. With more experience at tuning and driving I reckon I can do much better than before ( which was not that shabby either mind you :)).

The Normal NSX drove really well, that's why I got problems beating it in Deep Forest when I myself use NSX. But against the Viper it doesn't stand a chance. Wonder what happens when a Viper shows up in the Normal race, probably many of us won't ever beat it!

The Viper never shows up as an AI car.

There are only six possible lineups for the Normal Series.

NSX Type S zero
Toyota TRD 3000GT
Subaru Impreza WRX '96 STi III
Lancer Evolution IV GSR
Mazda efini RX-7 Aspec
Nissan R33 Skyline GT-R

A field can be characterized by which car is missing.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-11-25.html

I know the Viper never shows up. I'm just wondering what may happen when it does show up. But unfortunately, it doesn't, so that's the end of the story.

Weird why they decide to include the Evo though, that thing always placed sixth.

Based on the list from Post #22, you may be able to win with a fairly-balanced car that has about 260 horsepower or more. Or if you want, go light up those tires in a Viper and win the Normal Cup. Still, the Normal Car Cup is all about trust in your car as well as mastering racing with your car to win. Just remember to keep the car bone stock to win.

Yup. I'd sort of say 276bhp to be safe.

But I've won the Normal Series with a car from each of the Japanese manufacturers, and also Dodge and TVR. I never could manage with a Chevy or an Aston-Martin, however.

I've heard of people winning it with a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

I play a lot, but am naturally a mediocre driver for some reason; I can't control or react precisely enough to go really fast really reliably.

But I have won with several RX-7's, Skylines, GTO turbos, a couple of Imprezas, Supras, and NSXes. (NSX Type S zero is best NSX).

Oh yes, one trick is to reload the game until you get a lineup with no NSX. But I managed to beat the NSX in most cases with cars which were capable of winning. I.e. there's only a few cars where I satisfied myself with beating the TRD3000GT and not the NSX.

The top models from each manufacturers can win the championship, but they won't win all races, that's the hard part.

Aston Martin's are too heavy to hang with the competition, and maybe we'll have better chance with the Corvette's if the Sting Ray is playable in Sim mode.

In the JP game there's a NSX Type-R which is lighter and slightly more powerful than the S-Zero, so those people using the JP game have a better NSX to use in the Normal Championship than us.

Funny though, the price for the Type S is higher than the S-Zero's price although it is heavier.

All [size=+1]GT[/size] games are filled with little things to discover. Like the most expensive model isn't always the best.

I'm pretty sure some people have won the series with an Aston Martin. And even a Camaro, and the available Corvettes.

And I believe I did win it with a 1967 Corvette gamesharked into Simulation Mode.

I would think nearly all players should be able to beat the NSX at all races driving an NSX Type S Zero, if they practise enough. I did, and I am a mediocre player.

It's nice to see we're in agreement that the Normal Car Cup can be the toughest. Do you all think there are prize cars (remember, no competition cars) that work very well in racing this series?

There's quite a few that can, I think.

-TRD300GT
-400R
-Z28 30th Anniv.
-Lancer Evo IV (maybe)
-DB7 (maybe too)
-Soarer
-Impreza WRX-STi Ver. III
-Supra RZ
-R32
-Nismo GT-R LM

I think that's all.

The Soarer would be a challenge, I think. Though I never gave it a real try. I have won with the Evo IV, though. I couldn't win with the Z28 either.

What about the Sileighty in the hands of a good player? (Them what could win with a DB7 or Eclipse?)

Back