Toughest Race?

• Thread starter gtmaster08
  • 103 comments
Dunno about that, would take somebody with serious skills, whoever that may be (definitely not me). How about trying to beat it with a Demio A-Spec?:lol:

Nah, I wouldn't try a Demio for ANY cup! Now as for a tough race, try using a brand new NSX GT2 LM Edition on the Grand Valley I track or Trial Mountain track! I tell you, that car handles like a wet noodle!:yuck:

In the North American game, the prize Demio A-spec can, with tuning, win the Clubman Cup easily, and the GT Cup with some finesse. If you add a race-mod it's relatively easy to win the GT Cup, but it can be done without, although it's very difficult to win all races. And, with tuning, it's an easy winner in the FF and Lwt series (doesn't even need maximum tuning).

And of course it can win the Sunday Cup.

Don't put down the NSX-R LM GT2. That car is awesome. If it handles like a wet noodle to you then put some practice into it. It handles perfectly OK for me.

And yes the Demio can win Championships with the right tuning, so it's not a completely useless car.

I don't think the NSX-R GT-2 LM is quite a wet noodle; the suspension is too hard... but one of the most beautiful cars in the game is what it is, in my opinion.

The DB7 takes a lot of skill, but indeed an outright win is possible. I only managed 3rd, however...

What I mean is that for an MR, it tends to oversteer a lot! And I am practically the master of the NSX!

All MRs oversteer a lot, that's what characterises them from the other drivetrains. But in the case of NSX, it's still manageable. The key to driving this car to its limits is learning to drive with that limitation. And if you're the master of the NSX you shouldn't have problems with the car right?

It's a bit like driving an underpowered F1 car. Or a Super Aguri.

What that means is that the suspension is rock-hard, so you cannot ride off rumble strips or curbing, nor can you take corners all-out; heavy braking upsets the delicate suspension setup and therefore causes the car to jump alarmingly up on two wheels, namely the set opposite the curve. That also means that the car seems rather slow, so you have to drive it like a Formula 1 car but without the speed. Indeed, the drivetrain layouts are the same, but less downforce is generated on the NSX-R, throwing in drift.

All MRs oversteer a lot, that's what characterises them from the other drivetrains. But in the case of NSX, it's still manageable. The key to driving this car to its limits is learning to drive with that limitation. And if you're the master of the NSX you shouldn't have problems with the car right?

That is true. I guess I could use a little more practice!

To superberkut: That is almost true, but F1 cars are also much much lighter, which means at low speeds when downforce aren't working F1 cars will bounce around kerbs more than the NSX-R. And F1 cars also have super sticky tires to prevent oversteer which the NSX-R doesn't. I once thought that F1 cars are 4WD because they never oversteer :lol:. Ironically though, I used this "property" of the NSX-R to turn corners (almost) flat-out. I bumped off the kerbs on the entry and let off the gas, upsetting the balance, when the car starts to slide I floored the gas and correct any fishtailing. It's the best way to corner with this car, since this car gets very unstable under braking like you said,so it's better (and faster) to not brake at all.

To gtmaster: Good for you 👍 Practice hard :) I always said that practice=experience=speed.

But that is the point. Both cars bounce off kerbs, and the F1 car would be blowing by like an out-of-control hydroplane if it weren't for the wings, while the NSX, yes, has some mass. They still behave similarly, though.

Trying to get the thread back on topic?

Definitely the SSR11 All Night Enduro II, then. (disregard whatever different event I may have said earlier) It was the last event in the game that I had to win, because I could not stand taking the straightline kink or the fact that I was unfamiliar with campaigning something other than an AE86 (not enough) or a NSX-R GT2 LM. Of course, 600hp Skylines can do anything.

As for LeGeNd-1, I didn't mean to pound your argument into submission...

Ok, I give up. The NSX-R LM GT2 is a toned down F1 car with wheel covers. Done. Period.

On topic: The All-Night II is hard because SSR11 reverse is even harder than forward. And you aren't allowed any RM,which means less downforce and less grip, and you're going to be eating tires with all that hard braking + cornering. I had my tires red after around 7 laps with an Impreza and pitstops are really bad because the pit lane goes on forever and ever and ever.....So yeah I agree it's one of the toughest races (if you don't use a GTO or Skyline that is).

Funnily, I once thought the Mega Speed Cup is impossible to beat. Using the FTO LM, Chaser LM, Viper GTS-R, Cerbera LM I still failed to win the Cup (I didn't know much about gear tuning at that time). Then I had enough, you fight fire with fire, I said. So I went and buy the GTO TT and cranked it all the way to 930hp. That does the trick. But now when I look back I almost laughed at myself. Why you ask? Well it's because I'm stupid enough back then to not touch the gear settings at all. Now I can win it with any LM car, long gears, minimum downforce and drafting/slipstreaming.

To superberkut: That is almost true, but F1 cars are also much much lighter, which means at low speeds when downforce aren't working F1 cars will bounce around kerbs more than the NSX-R. And F1 cars also have super sticky tires to prevent oversteer which the NSX-R doesn't. I once thought that F1 cars are 4WD because they never oversteer :lol:. Ironically though, I used this "property" of the NSX-R to turn corners (almost) flat-out. I bumped off the kerbs on the entry and let off the gas, upsetting the balance, when the car starts to slide I floored the gas and correct any fishtailing. It's the best way to corner with this car, since this car gets very unstable under braking like you said,so it's better (and faster) to not brake at all.

To gtmaster: Good for you 👍 Practice hard :) I always said that practice=experience=speed.

Well, I finally managed to master the NSX! Because I can get it to drift at will and make the car look good doing it! And as a result, I got a fast time; 1'11"999 on the Grand Valley track! (full version) So it looks like that practice you mentioned worked!

Do you have screenshots? 1:11 would be extremely fast. But would be mediocre for the east course.

1.11 in GVS is physically impossible with any car in GT1. Unless you use hybrid, or you freeze the clock. Or something similar. Maybe you mistype the time? Or, like SportWagon said, it's on GVE instead of GVS?

Duh!:ouch: I accidentally pressed the post reply button when I want to go advanced. And the edit feature doesn't allow me to upload images by imageshack. So forgive me guys for double posting :nervous:.

Back on topic: I was curious whether you are actually able to do 1.11 with an NSX on GVS, so I tried it. Here's my time. As I predicted, it's way off 1.11. And I'm driving the wheels off that car already. So 1.11 is indeed impossible.

To make comparisons here's my time on GVE with the same car.

And for those of you wondering my claim of the NSX-R LM GT1 as another version of the NSX-R LM GT2 in the JP game, here's a screenshot to prove it. I apologise though, the name is actually NSX-R GT1 Turbo.

Sorry, I can't exactly remember the time I got.:guilty: (Short term memory problem) I just know that the time WAS under 2 minutes, that's all I remember!

And for those of you wondering my claim of the NSX-R LM GT1 as another version of the NSX-R LM GT2 in the JP game, here's a screenshot to prove it. I apologise though, the name is actually NSX-R GT1 Turbo.

Hmm... exposed headlights, slightly more power, same weight, though...

This car is visible in the game's respective manual.

To SportWagon: Thanks! I always thought I'm nowhere good enough compared to you guys. Good to know I'm on level with the best GT players on the planet :) I did 4 laps for each track, so I did 1 round of time trial (2 laps) to get used to the car and track, and find its limits. Then I did another round (2 laps) and set the time. I think it can still be improved, I did a few mistakes on both runs. My settings are terribly simple:

Spring MAX F&R
Ride MIN F&R
Damper 5 5
Camber 0 0
Stabilizer 3 3
Brake 7 7
Gears: All sliders set to the farthest right posible, except final drive at 3.333
Downforce MAX F&R
Use MT, analog steering.

Looking at your record, you can probably beat my time SportWagon 👍 How about giving it a try?

To gtmaster: That's alright, I also never take too much notice of my times.

To superberkut: Yup, the GT1 had exposed headlights and a wider body kit compared to the GT2, so it looks more like the NSX LMs in GT2. I think the power is the same, it's measured in ps, not hp, and I think that's what caused it to increase (276hp roughly equals to 280ps). It also has a turbo, while the other version is NA. It's available in red and black, not red and orange. Why do you think PD made a different version for the US game?

To be honest, I could never get my cars to go that fast on the Grand Valley I track. I mean if I did, that would break all the laws of "GTphysics"!

To superberkut: Yup, the GT1 had exposed headlights and a wider body kit compared to the GT2, so it looks more like the NSX LMs in GT2. I think the power is the same, it's measured in ps, not hp, and I think that's what caused it to increase (276hp roughly equals to 280ps). It also has a turbo, while the other version is NA. It's available in red and black, not red and orange. Why do you think PD made a different version for the US game?

It was too good to handle for the Americans?

Seriously, it must have looked too much like a conventional modified NSX, or it was the fact that NSXs do not run turbos. The NSX-R GT2 LM is actually based off a real-life car (which won its class and finished 8th overall at the 1995 Le Mans), so a GT1 fantasy version may not have made sense for the Americans, but the Japanese, having seen it before, could take the fantasy GT1. Either way, all other special models ran turbos and the NSX was handicapped as it stood with one, for turbo lag.

Here is a picture: (content also featured in 'real' cars thread)
1995-Le-Mans-Honda-NSX.jpg

In a clip of the manual (NTSC version, Greatest Hits), it was interesting that it was shown in copper, though I have to agree that it was also offered in black to the original red paint scheme. I don't remember, however, if the wheel trims changed colour to contrast the car.

Sorry, LeGeNd-1, I am pretty much a mediocre player. I can practise lots and lots, and improve relative to myself, but have trouble getting beyond the bottom quarter of, e.g. an online race. And many racing games I find challenging, others find easy. And ones they find challenging, I find impossible.

In reality, I was surprised that my time was so close to yours. Right now I'm wasting my time with Alfa Romeo: Racing Italiano.

Might this be the 'black NSX'?

nsx3.jpg

They really swarmed Le Mans that year... There were so many of them!

Interestingly, the NSX-R (the real-life car) appears to have a body kit with widened flares, but the game completely omits them.

The real cars look even better than the ones in the game 👍. I always thought both NSX-Rs are fake. Nice to see it's actually real :D.

The wheel rims are also black in the game, look at my screenshot of the times.

When you mean "swarmed" do you mean they defeated the competition or there're just so many of them?

And SportWagon, I myself am not a very good racer, my times are never consistent; blistering fast on 1 lap, then pathetically slow on the next. I'm only fast on 1 lap basis. My driving depends a lot on my mood also, sometimes I just can't get the car to perform, sometimes I found it ridiculously easy to break my previous records. So your time is really good to only differ by 1 second because I'm already on my limit there.

I'm currently wasting my time with............Viper Racing! :D Good ol' game 👍

I need help with the A-1 license test BADLY! Because the closest time I have managed to get was 0:32:464! So I have only managed to get a silver medal for this test. How in the world can I beat that time of 0:32:400 for the gold medal?:grumpy: Someone help me please! I also need help with the A-2, A-3, A-4, A-5, A-6, and A-8 license tests!

Back