Toughest Race?

• Thread starter gtmaster08
  • 103 comments
UPDATE: Now I only need help on the A-5 & A-8 tests! Oh and this time, I want a video helping me out on this matter. Because logs & walkthroughs don't really help me out that much as compared to videos.:)

Save lots of your own replays, and see where each run gains or loses times compared to the others. It's a little difficult in [size=+1]GT1[/size] because the clock doesn't run during the replay, but it can be done. Watch especially for mid-corner and exit speeds.

Watch the demo, memorise every little detail you can like racing line, when to shift, where to brake, by how much, etc. At the end, practice is always the best way to nail those tests.

Yes.. does anybody really know why that is? It's a good moral feature, but not very helpful.

I don't know...i agree with you...its' not helpful at all. I mean..first you have to leave the Home page entirely, which means you have leave the license test areas. And go back to the start up page. And then when you watch the damn demo, it doesn't even give you a top-notch example of what you need to do to accomplish..

I"m sure some hard-core gamers might like this, because it leaves a bit of mystery to be plundered only by the best of the best. :confused: I guess.

They're not gold runs, but they still offer good advice. Driving line is most important in license tests, and the demos offer exactly that. I don't know with others, but in my case the demos contribute 50% to my success in getting gold. The other 49% is practice, and the last 1% is luck.

Guys, this isn't helping.:mad: I did what you said and I STILL can't pass the A-5 and A-8 tests on gold!! I need a video from YOU when you got the gold emblem!:grumpy:

I never saved replays, so I haven't got a replay of when I got the gold emblem. Keep practicing though gtmaster, and don't forget it's a good idea to leave some tests first if you can't gold them now. Race a bit to improve your skills and come back later, those tests will feel much easier then 👍.

Guys, this isn't helping.:mad: I did what you said and I STILL can't pass the A-5 and A-8 tests on gold!! I need a video from YOU when you got the gold emblem!:grumpy:

I went on YouTube last nite trying to look for GT1 gold runs, but couldn't find any. That don't mean they don't exist, however. I would look there very persistently for an answer if you're desperate enough.

It's ok guys, I'll just try to dig into the game and get the gold myself for the A-8 course. But I still need help for the A-5 license though... Anybody got any tips that you used for that course?:)

This is the one with a Prelude in the middle of Grand Valley Speedway, right?

Just the links I gave you before. From memory, it's sacrificing a tiny bit of internal esse speed to maximize speed through the last corner and onto the somewhat long final straight. For more details I'd consult the same notes myself. I don't recall it as super-difficult.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2001-10-13.html

A5 is the last GT1 license test I got gold in, so yes it's super-difficult for me, took almost a thousand tries on that one :ouch:. SportWagon's notes are excellent reference though, having read it just now, it's exactly how I got the gold at the end.

The test which many considered uber-difficult, A4, oddly isn't that hard for me. Maybe it's because I'm used to driving high powered cars, so tests using Skylines, Supras and RX7s were no problem. 'Lowly' tests using del Sol, Silvia and Preludes were more of a problem for me as I never learned how to keep momentum back then.

It occurred to me that the thing A-8 and A-5 have in common is driving esses.

Does gtmaster08 have the original [size=+1]GT1[/size] manual? With its real-life driving instructions? They can be helpful.

The "apex" of the line through a corner is the closest point of that line to the inside edge of the roadway. In general, in [size=+1]GT[/size] at least, you always want to apex (i.e. "make the apex") at least a little "late" (after midpoint), so as to be able to start your acceleration sooner, because the effects of that early acceleration are cumulative. (The wording sounds contradictory, but if you can find or draw a diagram to look at, the principle might be obvious).

However, esses are not "in general". ;) I recall reading that when taking esses, you tend to apex early on the first corners (to maintain incoming speed), and successively later on following corners, as late as possible (but not so late as to "lose width") on the last corner. (In order to widen the last corner as much as possible; a pair of final later apexes will make the exit corner as gradual as possible). At the Nürburgring in [size=+1]GT4[/size], there's some long esses near the start of the course, and I find a definite sensation of "driving in" to a central transition point, and "driving out" from there. I think there's a similar transition point at Grand Valley. In the esses between the two hairpins, the transition is somewhere around the crest of the hill, I believe.

A further complication in A-5 is that the last left-hand bend is not actually part of a continuous esse; there is a short but significant straight after the right-hander preceding it. So you don't want to sacrifice too much speed on that straight. I.e. you can't totally concentrate on setting up for the final left-hander.

However, use the "in general" principle for the final hairpin in A-8. Don't take the corner symmetrically; head to a point deepish in the entry, make a slightly sharper corner of it, and therefore apex late, get on the gas a little early, and get better acceleration onto the finishing straight. (The first hairpin, however, is hairy enough, that I never really applied that principle; getting around it and staying on track is a trick in itself--i.e. avoiding the mysterious pull to the left on entry).

(The first hairpin, however, is hairy enough, that I never really applied that principle; getting around it and staying on track is a trick in itself--i.e. avoiding the mysterious pull to the left on entry).

Yup...i know what you mean.

I am STILL having a hard time passing the A-5 test! The closest time I ever got was 0:30:316. Now if none of you can give me a video then can you at least give me a map of the course and what to do in each of those turns, all in "ASCII" style or an image of the test course detailing the same thing I mentioned before? Because apparently I've been watching my replay which I named "A-5 Silver" (the one I got 0:30:316 on) and followed the same guideline to the letter and I STILL can't get that gold! And just so you know, I've practiced (and done) this test over 200 times! *sigh* (I'm seriously floating in a sea of doubt here...)

According to my records, I got to slightly worse than your best time (30:319), and then lucked out and passed. It's entirely possible I would never ever get gold now.

Rereading my notes, and studying the map, I think perhaps in the old versions of Grand Valley, the final left-hander into the tunnel really was the finish of a continuous esse. I.e. the straight between it and the previous turn is not a significant straight. So almost as soon as you exit the right hander, you should be preparing for the final turn--accelerate early and apex late to maximize acceleration onto the test finishing straight. To do that you must go a little bit deep into the final left-hander, yet you want to start the turn somewhat early to try and increase its effective radius. That is, you have two conflicting goals: increase the turn radius for center cornering speed, but go deep and apex late (which will "kink" the turn slightly, reducing center cornering speed) to allow early exit acceleration. To get the best time, you need to find the appropriate balance of those two.

Too bad my reactions and ability to reproduce my actions don't match my ability to over-analyze the situation.

Yes, if you practice too much, you'll actually be rehearsing the failure.

Here's what I actually did for my time of 0:30:316;

Turn 1- I took the turn at 70 mph and finished at turn 2 with 87 mph.

Turn 2- I started the turn with minor braking at 0:16:32 (I used my stop watch for this when I recorded my run on the VCR) and finished at the 3rd turn with 80 mph.

Turn 3- I started by braking which slowed me down from 80-54 mph while barely touching the curb and during this time, I didn't slam into any walls.

Time recorded: 0:32:316
Transmission used: Automatic

Oh, and if you're wondering how I could remember all of this, I drew the course map myself and wrote some notes down while watching the video.:) I hope that this clarifies how I actually did on the test.

Yes, if you practice too much, you'll actually be rehearsing the failure.
I really should have said if you practice too much without consciously varying what you're doing . . ..

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2001-10-13.html

says I had a minimum speed of 55mph in the final corner. That suggests you need to arrange to carry a bit more speed through the slowest part of the final turn. I very nearly always use manual transmission. I indicate only light braking for the entry of that corner. The braking would not have taken me down to 55, but to a higher speed; cornering itself would have decreased my speed to the 55 minimum.

Last edited:
Tuned Car cup for me... it was a while until I realised to fiddle with the setup! (12yrs old at the time ;) )

The normal car cup so far...
I used a Cerbera, and the first two races were very easy, while the clubman and the R11 were extermely hard.
I was extremely afraid of hitting the Cerbera into any of the walls (it is a gorgeus, exotic car) and was outraged at the cheap Subaru Impreza bodyslamming my car all the time...
Anyway, I came in first all the races except the last (R11). I had really bad experiences with the corners, since the Cerbera is a very long, powerful RWD car I always found myself coming offthe corners with lots of wheelspin (while all the othercars, especially the NSX were nailing the corners). Also I was always afraid of hitting the barrier in the tunnel (first tunnel) and went very slow, while others just passed me. Also, when driving a fast car (like the Cerbera),40 m/h on the corners seems very slow, so one tends to speed up- bad idea.
The worst disappointment for me though was winning an Impreza at the end :(.

I seem to remember the Tuned Car Cup being a nuisance for me. The Normal Car Cup was also pretty hard.

I seem to remember the Tuned Car Cup being a nuisance for me. The Normal Car Cup was also pretty hard.

I agree with my Aussie mate, those two Series were really tough going when I first started playing.
Especially as some of the tracks were not that easy for a novice.

It's all good now though :)

I had the hardest time with the Tuned Car Cup, but I went through the Normal Car Cup pretty easily with a Viper GTS. :lol:

Yea, that makes sense, since the Viper has the most available power while "normal". I used the Viper, too, and then i think i used some other car, but i'm forgetting which one. I tried a Camaro once, but it handles so bad :lol:

The Hard Tuned Championship IS hard. Hardest race for me. I really got pissed. I used the '89 R32. And that car pissed me off. So I was pretty pissed. Aha. Such a heavy ass car. I started to crack up though at the Clubman Stage Route 5 II 'cause there was alot of bumping going on with the cars, and wall riding, really fast. It was pretty funny. I didn't come in first in all of the races. The Normal Championship was fairly easy for me. With the Viper.

Do you guys reckon that it is possible to win the Normal Car Cup with a Toyota Supra? I'll probably use the Viper, but overkill is not always fun either :P

Also, I'm going to try to enter the Hard Tuned Championship with my maxed out Supra. It's going to be hard, but it should be fun as well 👍

Back