Toyota GR GT3 Concept

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

1641543285924.png

At the 2022 Tokyo Auto Salon, Toyota will be showing off the GR GT3 Concept

a racing-dedicated concept car that incorporates the knowledge and refined technologies TGR has gained in the field of motorsports

Took them long enough. The GT4 customer car is successful. Saitama Toyopet had to build their own GT300 racer, because Toyota couldn’t be bothered to create the GR Supra Racing Concept for.. um.. racing. GT3 doesn’t seem to be slowing down any time soon. Plus, the Z is about to steal some sports car thunder. Looks very RX-Vish.

If this doesn't come to GT7 - either at launch or in a content update - then I'd be extremely surprised. Especially considering that the last two cars to come to GT Sport were GR-branded, being the GR Yaris and the GR 86.

Yeah this car doesn't really make any sense unless it's a Lexus (and it doesn't really match their design language at all) or it's the next Supra, which it's way too early to be showing off and it doesn't even remotely look like a Supra or any other Toyota anyway. Honestly I'm not excited because I don't know why it exists.

Last edited:

1642120946656.png

1642120997344.png

1642121006678.png

TGR is committed to further accelerating customer motorsports activities to make the world of motorsports sustainable. Promoting "driver first" car development and with a desire to provide attractive cars that customers participating in GT3, which is the pinnacle of customer motorsports, would choose, TGR has unveiled the GR GT3 Concept.

As was the case with the GR Yaris, by commercializing motorsports cars rather than simply adapting production vehicles for use in motorsports, TGR intends to use feedback and technologies refined through participation in various motorsports activities to develop both GT3 and mass-production cars and further promote making ever-better motorsports-bred cars.

I love this meme template so thought I'd waste everyone's time by using it to summarize my thoughts:

(For reference the RC-F is the neglected kid because I'm assuming it's on its way out soon seeing as it hasn't even gotten the facelift bodywork with its EVO updates).

crappymeme (2).png

Last edited:
Some more information on the race car and IRL photos of it

1642140435432.png

1642140473269.png

While a timeframe for the release of the car was not specified, Toyota Gazoo Racing president Koji Sato revealed that a working prototype would be ready by the end of the year.

That raises the prospect of the car being made available to customers in time for the FIA World Endurance Championship and Le Mans 24 Hours switching to the GT3 platform in 2024.

Toyota says its GR GT3 Concept is intended to promote its 'driver-first' ethos in the GT3 arena and "provide attractive cars that customers participating in GT3, which is the pinnacle of customer motorsports, would choose".

A replacement Lexus GT3 model had been rumoured to be in the works, but the GR GT3 Concept is likely to supersede this. The existing car is homologated through 2027.

The RCF GT3 is homologated until 2027 but a working prototype is supposed to be available by the end of the year. Most likely both cars will be racing for a short period of time, however, I doubt many teams would want to continue racing on such an old platform

It's an absolute stunner, that's for sure. Considering the RC F GT3 is getting long in the tooth, it's intriguing to see what happens with a potential successor. Especially given earlier rumours of Lexus replacing the RC F GT3 with a new model for 2024. This would supersede it of course.

Slightly surprised Toyota is going down the route of inverting the GT3 concept, with no direct road variant; à la what Renault did with the RS01 somewhat. After all, the A90 Supra is still fresh on the market, and every bit as viable as a GT racer. Still, not complaining if the planned GR GT3 looks like that...

Also, those triangular vents beneath the taillights remind me of the LFA with its rear lights, to a degree.

Last edited:
Also, those triangular vents beneath the taillights remind me of the LFA with its rear lights, to a degree.
Now that we've got photos of the rear I can say that's the only part of the car that actually looks like a Lexus. It's got a similar lightbar design to the NX, with those little Cadillac fins on the ends, and the vents you mention.

Which makes me wonder if this is another Lexus design concept? While the EV super coupe they just released is very curvy, this GT3 concept actually more resembles all the other Lexus EVs they released...

Lexus EVs.JPG

I'm getting the sense that Lexus is exploring their future design direction. I know the current language is super polarizing and these EV designs they released also aren't the most exciting things in the world.

Did you guys see that crazy theory that this is a Mazda platform in disguise? The cases that have been thrown about it being a Mazda in disguise make it seem not as crazy as I thought it'd be. If I can find where I read that I'll have to screenshot and post here. It basically shares a near identical profile and hard points as the RX vision Group 3 car we have in gtsport.

Last edited:
Did you guys see that crazy theory that this is a Mazda platform in disguise? The cases that have been thrown about it being a Mazda in disguise make it seem not as crazy as I thought it'd be. If I can find where I read that I'll have to screenshot and post here. It basically shares a near identical profile and hard points as the RX vision Group 3 car we have in gtsport.
Took them long enough. The GT4 customer car is successful. Saitama Toyopet had to build their own GT300 racer, because Toyota couldn’t be bothered to create the GR Supra Racing Concept for.. um.. racing. GT3 doesn’t seem to be slowing down any time soon. Plus, the Z is about to steal some sports car thunder. Looks very RX-Vish.

It’s an RX-V GT3 fighter, for the GT7 Manufacturer series. ;)
Other than my posts above, it’s pobably from this

Find it please. The proportions and greenhouse are very similar, that's for sure. I have been wondering about the resemblance, wondering why Toyota would debut something that looked so similar, like these companies are trying to fit a new set of regulations or something lol.

Find it please. The proportions and greenhouse are very similar, that's for sure. I have been wondering about the resemblance, wondering why Toyota would debut something that looked so similar, like these companies are trying to fit a new set of regulations or something lol.
Screenshot_20220114-141915_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220114-141939_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220114-141956_Chrome.jpg
aa12ef2.png

It's an absolute stunner, that's for sure. Considering the RC F GT3 is getting long in the tooth, it's intriguing to see what happens with a potential successor. Especially given earlier rumours of Lexus replacing the RC F GT3 with a new model for 2024. This would supersede it of course.

Slightly surprised Toyota is going down the route of inverting the GT3 concept, with no direct road variant; à la what Renault did with the RS01 somewhat. After all, the A90 Supra is still fresh on the market, and every bit as viable as a GT racer. Still, not complaining if the planned GR GT3 looks like that...

If they continue down that route, they're gonna likely end up being barred from racing in series like GTWC since the GT3 formula is meant to be production based cars. If no road car is homologated then its unlikely to going to be seen outside of national-based GT3 series and VLN.

Back