Toyota GR GT3 Concept

"Straight-6" and "RX-7 revival" don't mix.
I think they're trying to imply that if this is indeed a mazda toyota collab, the Mazda will get that hybrid 3 rotor that Mazda just patented and the Toyota would get the inline 6 that Mazda has been working on.

and the Toyota would get the inline 6 that Mazda has been working on.
Toyota and Mazda has actually been working on the inline 6 together since 2019

Expected to appear in the next generation Mazda6 in 2022, and Toyota and Lexus models after that, the 3.0-liter straight-6 SkyActiv-X unit will feature similar technology to the Mazda3’s new “X” powerplant including a diesel-like common rail system, a mild hybrid system and a supercharger with the 48V electric package. Power is expected to clear 300 horsepower. One source close to Toyota said that the only way for Mazda to develop such a hi-tech 6-cylinder powerplant was to collaborate with Toyota and share R&D costs although the various percentages are not known.

A member of the website, Lexus Enthusiasts, posted what was claimed to be an image of the GR GT3 Concept at a recent US dealer event clearly wearing a Lexus badge on its nose. The image was quickly removed and there’s no confirmation if it was a genuine photograph, but there was already evidence to suggest the plan all along has been for this dramatic sports coupe to be a member of the luxury car family, not Toyota’s range.
Hmm. That theory doesn’t seem right. I get that the current Super GT Supra GT300 cars are built by Saitama Toyopet and outside of Japan, there may be no need to make a Supra GT3. I’m probably a little skeptical of Lexus using a joint Toyota-Mazda car as a Lexus. Especially, mentioning that new son of LFA. Figured they’d be on their own to do such a car.

Well, if the theory is about the GR GT3 being a Lexus after all, so be it. With it not being in the Supra(NASCAR, Super GT 500/300, GT4) race car family.

Hmm. That theory doesn’t seem right. I get that the current Super GT Supra GT300 cars are built by Saitama Toyopet and outside of Japan, there may be no need to make a Supra GT3. I’m probably a little skeptical of Lexus using a joint Toyota-Mazda car as a Lexus. Especially, mentioning that new son of LFA. Figured they’d be on their own to do such a car.

Well, if the theory is about the GR GT3 being a Lexus after all, so be it. With it not being in the Supra(NASCAR, Super GT 500/300, GT4) race car family.
Lexus does a lot of branding in IMSA and has a pretty well-established following in the US for it now. Makes sense to me from a US market perspective. Also Toyota is keen on platform sharing these days, all the car companies are, as they have to focus so many resources on developing EV tech. Now that Mazda is going RWD I think it makes more sense to share development with a domestic company than with BMW.

Lexus does a lot of branding in IMSA and has a pretty well-established following in the US for it now. Makes sense to me from a US market perspective. Also Toyota is keen on platform sharing these days, all the car companies are, as they have to focus so many resources on developing EV tech. Now that Mazda is going RWD I think it makes more sense to share development with a domestic company than with BMW.
True. Forgot about the Lexus RC F GT3 in USA. I Mainly see it in Super Taikyu.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 2.21.05 PM.png

So... they're going to need a road car for this if it's to get a GT3 homologation, right?

It still blows my mind they didn't just simply replace the RC-F with the GR Supra instead, given how that car is Toyota's darling right now and they spent all that time making a GT3/E racing concept of it.

So could the road car of this unnamed GT3 concept potentially be the next-generation Supra? Or will it be the next Lexus halo car to rival the AMG GT and Porsche 911?

Last edited:
So... they're going to need a road car for this if it's to get a GT3 homologation, right?
Yes. It was never posted in the thread, but there were patent renders of what could be a road car last year

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEYDKFOVU726O3MFMQDDM2RB7HB3PQ6DJKNSK2LSU6XUFW2HQ75UE

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEYDKFOVU726O3MFMQDDM2RB7HBYTF7SDXPDZ5CCEY27AEXN7LR34

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEYDKFOVU726O3MFMQDDM2RB7HBTVEUJJVXUA6YXEJL2KLDZ7XZYK

Here's also the original source of the car testing at Fuji

It seems like the GR GT3 will be branded as a Lexus

The production version of the car revealed at the Tokyo Auto Salon as the Toyota GR GT3 Concept early last year (featured), is set to be raced exclusively under the Lexus brand worldwide, DSC has established.

The new car, which is now in the initial track testing phase of its development in Japan, still hasn’t had its model name confirmed.

It is set to be the replacement for the current (2017 vintage) Lexus RC F GT3 (below), including as the brand’s representative in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (potentially in GTD Pro and GTD) in the future.

Also unconfirmed is the current target date for the competition debut of the new Lexus, though DSC understands that it is unlikely to be before the 2025 season.

Senior sources have also suggested that the forthcoming LMGT3 class in the FIA World Endurance Championship is also a major target for the new car.

If that plan comes to fruition it would mark the Lexus brand’s debut at the Le Mans 24 Hours, potentially alongside the Toyota-branded Hypercar effort.

In Toyota's recent press conference, they had teased a new sports car, which could be the road version of this

toyota-and-lexus-ev-product-roadmap-until-2026.jpg

Which could be the Lexus Electrified Sport concept from 2021

lexus-electrified-sport-concept.jpg

lexus-electrified-sport.jpg

Last edited:
Further confirmation of the existence of the road version of the GT3 car with a likely reveal in 2026

It had been thought that the car was being lined up for a race debut in 2025, the year after the WEC is opened up to GT3 cars.

But due to delays to the planned release of the GR GT3-derived road car that will be launched to coincide with the race version, Toyota is now targeting a WEC debut in 2026.

"Everybody knows we are developing a car, and this car will come to race in Europe in 2026," Toyota WEC team director Rob Leupen told Motorsport.com.

"The date is in alignment with the road car side, which is following the philosophy of Toyota to have a motorsport-bred car on the road. This is moving forward at the moment."

Reports have suggested that the car based on the GR GT3 will be badged as a Lexus, which has repeatedly hinted at introducing a successor for the ageing RC F GT3.

Asked whether the new car will be known as a Lexus, Leupen replied: "At the moment, it seems to be. It depends on how it develops within Toyota, but at the moment, yes."

More testing at Motegi.

Next Supra? That's my bet.

Last edited:
This looks to be significantly more exotic than the RC-F. I'm guessing more like LF-A successor.
It looks more exotic than both the RC and the Supra. I think it’ll be both eventually. I also think platform sharing with Lexus and Toyota could get Mazda back into the sports car game.

I can only assume it's going to be the next Supra. Toyota is still refusing to race a Supra GT3 and instead favoring Lexus which is so strange to me. Although a Supra powered by a V8 would be just as strange. I don't really see how Toyota could market and sell a GT coupe above the Supra, and alongside a Lexus variant, and do what, race both of them?

Last edited:
I can only assume it's going to be the next Supra. Toyota is still refusing to race a Supra GT3 and instead favoring Lexus which is so strange to me. Although a Supra powered by a V8 would be just as strange. I don't really see how Toyota could market and sell a GT coupe above the Supra, and alongside a Lexus variant, and do what, race both of them?
I wonder if that's because the Supra is a BMW and therefore more difficult to support. I don't think whatever this new car is will be a Supra because I think the Supra does well enough at it's current price and making it way more expensive (which I'm certain this will be with those proportions) will mean Toyota is giving up a sizeable market. Before the Supra there was the 2000GT, which was more of a halo product than the Supra ever was(it was a fair amount more expensive than a Jaguar E type or Porsche 911 of the time). Take the displacement modifier of that name and replace it with something more in line with Toyota's current marketing and you get GR GT - a halo car.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's because the Supra is a BMW and therefore more difficult to support. I don't think whatever this new car is will be a Supra because I think the Supra does well enough at it's current price and making it way more expensive (which I'm certain this will be with those proportions) will mean Toyota is giving up a sizeable market. Before the Supra there was the 2000GT, which was more of a halo product than the Supra ever was(it was a fair amount more expensive than a Jaguar E type or Porsche 911 of the time). Take the displacement modifier of that name and replace it with something more in line with Toyota's current marketing and you get GR GT - a halo car.
But it would make a little more sense if the Supra became a higher-end product to compete properly with the GT-R and 911. The 1995 Supra was selling for about $50,000 back then which is over $100,000 today so yes it was very exclusive and very halo. If Toyota ends the partnership with BMW for the next sports car then they'll be on their own to develop the platform and spread costs between Toyota and Lexus (and hope-to-god Mazda), necessitating a more expensive but lower production model. This would also free up space for an affordable MR2 hybrid sports car below it.

But it would make a little more sense if the Supra became a higher-end product to compete properly with the GT-R and 911. The 1995 Supra was selling for about $50,000 back then which is over $100,000 today so yes it was very exclusive and very halo. If Toyota ends the partnership with BMW for the next sports car then they'll be on their own to develop the platform and spread costs between Toyota and Lexus (and hope-to-god Mazda), necessitating a more expensive but lower production model. This would also free up space for an affordable MR2 hybrid sports car below it.
I don't see a business case for Toyota to sell the Supra at a more premium position than it is now - it seems to be working well enough where it is. It didn't work with the MKIV as they only sold a little over 10,000 of them (all models) in the USA. The MKV has already doubled that and its a viable competitor to the Porsche Cayman which really has no other competitors in the US Market.

I don't see a business case for Toyota to sell the Supra at a more premium position than it is now - it seems to be working well enough where it is. It didn't work with the MKIV as they only sold a little over 10,000 of them (all models) in the USA. The MKV has already doubled that and its a viable competitor to the Porsche Cayman which really has no other competitors in the US Market.
Over the course of 15 years Nissan has averaged about 1,000 GT-R sales per year but I think the car is considered a success. I don't see why the Supra couldn't be moved up to a glamorous spot like that while the MR2 they've been teasing becomes that Cayman/400Z/Mustang/BMW competitor, literally in the form of another mid-engined car. In fact, Nissan's future GT-R plans are murky so Toyota could be able to capitalize on a giant-killing Supra supercar. While the MKV is a great car I think the popular consensus is still that it's not a real Supra.

If the Supra can't operate in a high-end 911-like market then I'm not sure how some newfangled nameplate will be able to. I think that's exactly the market the car should've gone for in the first place.

Last edited:
Remember, Toyota work with Mazda as well. The Toyota GR have the same proportions as the Mazda RX-Vision. It’s possible they’re working together to develop this car. Both companies were or still are developing the RWD chassis that was/is to be the next Mazda and/or Toyota sport sedan. Plus the talks on Mazda’s in-line six.

Does this GR GT have to be a V8?

Toyota trademarked "GR GT" so I doubt this'll be a Supra replacement but rather a bespoke sports car

1706148221519.png

Back