Toyota Petrol Hybrid LMP1 to Lemans and WEC (Its Official)

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Blaze_409, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

Hmm interesting holes. Looks too big for brake cooling ducts. Haven't got a clue really. The car definitely looks way better than that hideous R18

2. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid Premium

I guess it's up to Internet aerodynamist Mulsanne Mike to figure it out.

3. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

Could it possibly be cooling for the electric motor?

4. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Well, it looks like the front of the TS030 got a major redesign.

Here the original:

[​IMG]

And here the car that visited Spa this morning, with some holes marked by yours truly :dopey: :

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality but I zoomed the original picture to better separate every hole. And now that I took a better look I understand that Bram Turismo was probably referring to holes #2, while I was mentioning holes #3

PS - Just out of curiosity, Alexander Wurz was very interested in ground level photography in that photo shoot. I wonder if he was taking pictures of his car or of the Audi :D

[​IMG]

5. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

:lol: Unofficial PR Pictures for Toyota?

Also, it kind of looks like he's been getting his hands (and suit) dirty lately.

6. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

Highlight nr. 2 in that picture was what I was on about. I do absolutely love those winglets just in front of those holes, though. I think the TS030 looks so much more interesting at the front end than the R18. Too bad Toyota hasn't got a proper livery to back their aero design up. Gotta love the clean livery on the Audi E-tron. I'd wish Toyota used their colours in a more interesting design than just drawing some stripes on the car like they did on all their F1 cars as well

7. Ardius

Ardius

Looks like the earlier design was one chucked together quickly to finish the car and get testing with the new engine/hybrid system. This newer design looks a lot more refined, especially the F1-style wing-planes around where Hun has marked (2).
    You have to wonder how much more testing time is going to be required just get a decent setup for this car, let alone find out if this aero-redesign works as designed. Seems a little like starting all over again except for the engine/hybrid side which I'd assume has been developed since their earlier testing. Can't say the aero has really carried over so much.

I much prefer the older design though as its cleaner without all the tiny little pieces all over it.

8. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

TOYOTA has a vacant seat for Le Mans!

Hiroaki Ishiura, the japanese driver that would share the second car with Davidson and Buemi, won't take part of the 24 Hours due to medical advice (back complaint related).

So, this opens up a top slot. If indeed TOYOTA wants to have a japanese driver in each car, then I have no idea who's next on their list (assuming KK is impossible because of his F1 drive). If you guys know who the SuperGT top drivers are it's maybe there that TOYOTA will look for a replacement.

If however they search a replacement in the "western market" I think almost all top Le Mans drivers are already taken. From the old Peugeot regulars I think only Lamy is still available (Montagny was also but he got a drive somwehere now; Gene became recently Audi reserve). The old Highcroft teamates are taken (Brabs and Pagenaud in HPD cars, Marino in the DeltaWing). Panis I think hung up his gloves and his old ORECA-Peugeot teamates are taken too.

Any more ideas? Jacques Villeneuve? Jarno Trulli? Alguersuari?

9. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

I think they may search within Japan. Although I don't think there many good choices over here at the moment.

10. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

What about Ukyo Katayama?

11. Peter.

Peter.

Or, dare I say it, Takuma Sato? Though I think Sakon Yamamoto has driven at Le Mans before, so maybe even him.

12. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Takuma Sato? I may be wrong, and I'd like a japanese forum member to correct me if indeed I am, but in Japan the high profile drivers are usually faithful to manufacturers and manufacturers are patrons to drivers

Now, search the wikipedia page on Sato. Then do a "Find" using HONDA. You'll get many many results. Then do one using TOYOTA. You'll get 1 result. This is it:

No, I don't think Toyota will call Sato. ;)

13. gtone339

gtone339

I know who they can replace him!! Kazunori Yamauchi!! :lol: :) :tup:

There I said it.... :tup:

14. Ardius

Ardius

I'd like to see Trulli called up (surprise surprise from me I know :p) - I'm sure he'd make a great sportscar driver. The team already know him well, he had a great fanbase in Japan and Toyota obviously liked him before. I'd say for me he'd be the number 1 call-up though he lacks the experience in sportscars.

Villenueve would be good fun though. :tup:

I would have said K.Nakajima if he wasn't already driving the other car.

15. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Not going to happen. Why? Because Honda.

16. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

Yes. I want him to drive so much.

17. gtone339

gtone339

Toyota Hybrid TS030 Track Test - Magny-Cours 4th May 2012:

18. Peter.

Peter.

Is there any information as to how the TS030 compares to the Audi R18 in terms of laptimes?

19. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

We have nothing. All we have is that Audi's hybrid has Spa under its belt whereas the TS030 has a crash and a rebuild under its belt.

Time will tell, but knowing Toyota I'm not expecting them to just "run along" at Le Mans.

20. gtone339

gtone339

No not yet. :(

I have a doubt that Toyota can keep up with their rival Audi next months Le Man's test on the first week of June. To be honest, Toyota's brand new, rebuilt, prototype was currently brand new, with new aerodynamic package and maybe an updated hybrid system + 3.7L engine can surprise all of us during that week and guess what? Audi, you've been warned and yourself being that confident at winning at Le Mans and don't repeat at last years event where you crashed against two GT cars (Ferrari), because of visibility issues within the car. If it happens this year then you've given a chance for the Toyota's to win at Le Mans for the first time ever.

Oh btw, I'm a Toyota Fan!! Go Team Toyota!! Do this for Peugeot, Japan and for France!! :tup:

21. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

I don't really care if they have a chance at winning this year. It's been 13 years since I for the first time saw a Le Mans race including a Toyota, and the GT-One is probably for me personally the icon why I fell in love with motor sports. Been a Toyota fan throughout all their F1 years, and I'm so glad they return to this race once more. Even though their livery is pretty bland, it'll give a special feeling when I see that white-red prototype thundering down the Hunaudieres! :tup:

22. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Toyota met some reliability problems in their endurance test at Aragon. Better in testing than next month during the race I'd say ...

The report of this is in the ACO's official site but only in the french version. I used the Google Translator to get to this English version of that news piece. I corrected some obvious translation blunders, but I may have missed a few others:

HERE the report from Toyota. Their "translation" is better than the Google/Hun one. :lol:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  23. gtone339

gtone339

More info about the test at Magny-Cours -

WEC: tests the Toyota TS030 at Magny-Cours

Use Google translate:
    link: http://www.leblogauto.com/zenphoto/toyota/2012/ts030-en-test-a-magny-cours/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh by the way, rumour has it that Stephanie Sarrazin may fill in for Hiroaki Ishiura. Nothing has been confiremd so far for the former Peugeot driver but at the moment we just have to wait until next month. :)

24. gtone339

gtone339

Sarrazin to drive for Toyota at Le Mans!!

Yes!! I knew it all along!! Finally Toyota needs to hire all of Peugeots former drivers!! Oh yeah!

link: http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/sarrazin-to-drive-8-for-toyota-racing-at-le-mans/

link: http://www.lemans.org/en/races/24h/update/sarrazin-to-drive-for-toyota-at-le-mans_7144.html

[​IMG]

25. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

That's awesome! What happen to his IRC Rally drive with Peugeot? Did hey pull out of he IRC too?

26. gtone339

gtone339

The 24 hour race that he's currently doing is just temporarily, just to replace the back-pained Japanese driver. Hopefully Toyota uses two cars for the full WEC next year and three or 4 cars at next years Le Mans so Stephanie or Frank Montagny can drive either the 3rd or 4th car.

I'm definitely sure that he'll be back at IRC rally for Peugeot after Le Mans.

27. VspecZR1GT2RS89

VspecZR1GT2RS89

I not sure if this video was posted before:scared:. But I like the idea of using a hybrid engine that can turn into a V8 in less than a minute. Toyota can use this to their advantage IMO.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eRECqhIZwIA

28. hawkeye122

hawkeye122

It has been posted before.

Toyota *could* use it to their advantage, other than Audi has a similar system that has now been tested over a full race distance. So its pretty even...

And it doesnt "Turn into a V8". It uses boost from the electric motor to add power, and only the electric powers it in the pits.

29. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

Exactly, very similar to the system that Toyota uses in Super GT with the Corolla.

30. hawkeye122

hawkeye122

Whaaa? Link me, please. I havent heard of that.