Toyota Petrol Hybrid LMP1 to Lemans and WEC (Its Official)

• Thread starter Blaze_409
  • 431 comments
They allow TC for LMP cars?????:dunce:
They dont allow it for any other type of professional racing...

Well they allow it for GT3 but that is not professional racing... more like semi-pro amateur...
Yes. Saddest part is that standard ECU is the only proper way to forbid TC (see: F1 in the 2000s) and it's probably out of the question in LMPs with so many different engines...

TC was allowed in FIA GT until they started using stardard ECU in 2010.

http://www.86400.fr/articles/203-decouverte-toyota-ts030-hybrid-tome-2-et-details

Compar_Toyota_Audi_Peugeot_3.jpg

Compar_Toyota_Audi_Peugeot_2.jpg

Compar_Toyota_Audi_Peugeot.jpg

It's like they rummaged around in a WEC parts bin. A little Peugeot on the front, and some Audi on the Top, back, and sides.

tribolik
GT1 cars dont have TC or ABS at least last year they didnt... I followed every race.

It has been banned in 2010 and 2011 but is unlikely to be banned this year as FIA GT is running GT3 cars so no common ECU.

After the departure of Peugeot it looks like Toyota are taking their place but can they live up to Peugeot and their own history? Im not to sure.

I hope so, but I don't think they will do well in the first year. Best of the rest is really all they can achieve. Hope I'm wrong though.

For all we know, Toyota might have been taking notes of everything (including the regs) for the past few years and may be the next big rival to Audi. Certainly woudn't be the first time they've come to Le Mans fast right off the bat and it also wouldn't be the first time that they cleverly bent the rules in their favor.

That pic really makes me sad, the 908 is such a beautiful car. The first race car which looks good with a shark fin and not bulky like the R18/TS030.

They lost the race last season in the pits (and because of the safety car coming out after the horrible crash at night), the car was good enough to win.

I wonder how much Toyotas F1 expierence will help them at LeMans.

Edit: You guys now the Skyrim theme song? I changed it a bit, hope you Toyota fans like it:

TS030, TS030
by its batteries is sworn
To keep evil Audis forever behind!
And the diesel cars rout when they hear the mighty engine roar, TS030, for your victory we pray!

Hearken now, sons of petrol, to an age, long ago, and the tale, boldly told, of the one!
Who was kin to both internal combustion, and electro magnetisim, with a power to rival the Audis! And the engine sound, it produced, on that glorious track, when the 24 hours started!
Mighty engine roar, like a wave, dominated the opponents ones, as the TS030 fired up its engine!
And the bookmakers have foretold, of silver wings in the early morning, that when rivals wage war come unfurled!
Audi Motorsport Gmbh, Bane of Motorsport and good racing, ancient manufacturer unbound, with a hunger to swallow all the money in the world!
But a day, shall arise, when the dark manufacturers evil marketing voices, will be silenced forever and then!
Fair LeMans will be free from foul Audi's maw, TS030 be the savior of men!

Last edited:
TOYOTA Racing can confirm it has expanded its plans for the 2012 season and has entered the FIA World Endurance Championship. It was originally planned to enter only selected races, which would have fallen short of the number required to be considered a full-time entrant but due to the unexpected changes faced by the FIA World Endurance Championship, that plan has been revised. The TOYOTA TS030 HYBRID car will make its debut in the Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, the second round of the championship.

TOYOTA Racing is also pleased to receive a two-car entry for the Le Mans 24 Hours on 16-17 June. Regular race drivers Alex Wurz, Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima are already confirmed and the line-up for the additional car will be announced shortly.

Yoshiaki Kino****a, Team President: “The circumstances for the championship changed suddenly in the last weeks and TOYOTA Racing considers it important to work together with the FIA and ACO to establish a successful future for endurance racing. We have done everything we can to show our support and we look forward to an exciting season, including the opportunity to race two cars at Le Mans.”
http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/toyota-racing-enters-fia-world-endurance-championship/

I wonder how much Toyotas F1 expierence will help them at LeMans.

I'd imagine very little. Since they cancelled their F1 program at the end of 2009, a majority of the staff at Cologne will have no doubt looked for jobs elsewhere. Any experience gained will have dissipated away along with it's staff.

However, since Peugeot have cancelled their project, i wouldn't be surprised if some of their key staff members have joined Toyota. So any knowledge they have of running at Le Mans will be added to the mix.

Yeah, it's a bit surprising that they don't even have a second car by now. Understandable if we're talking DeltaWing (I think they only have one car, if they wreck it they're done), but not a full manufacturer entry like Toyota.

Dang, i've waited to see the race in Spa but now i've to wait until Le Mans!
No race data but more to testing, i doubt the Toyota can be on the podium. (ノ °益°)ノ 彡 ┻━┻

Somehow, the Audi looks like ogre and the Toyota looks like elf or tengu.
Guess i'd play enough rpg game. :dopey:

Yeah, it's a bit surprising that they don't even have a second car by now. Understandable if we're talking DeltaWing (I think they only have one car, if they wreck it they're done), but not a full manufacturer entry like Toyota.

Remember that Toyota never planned to do much at all this year and were originally treating it as a test/development season. Its only because of Peugeot's withdrawal that they agreed with the ACO/FIA to step up and run a second car.
So actually I don't really think its surprising, Toyota haven't exactly had a lot of lead time to construct a second chassis and they clearly didn't want to in the first place. Suggests to me they are trying to run this year on a restricted budget purely to develop the car.

I mean, it says it all really that Oreca were contracted to run the cars - if Toyota were putting their full backing behind this car, why not just run it themselves - TMG is surely still big enough to run it or if not hire the people needed?

Toyota are spending the cash on the engine and electrics as well as the aero but then leaving the rest (construction and physical running of the cars) to Oreca. Thats how it appears to me. Nothing wrong with that of course, seeing as Audi are really just a Dallara + Joest partnership. But its not like Toyota are putting their full weight behind this and running the entire thing themselves like they did in the 90s.

Last edited:
The one thing that I'm going to follow with this program is if Toyota will actually succeed with this car, or fail on a global stage as Toyota has done a number of times. I think back to them just being not good enough to win. I want Toyota to succeed. However, you look at the Toyota GT-One and the Toyota F1 team as two examples of them just not being good enough to win despite all their money.

Again- I want Toyota to succeed. My only concern is if they can actually emerge apart from their past failures on the world stage of racing.

I don't think it will. The problem with the AMR-One was that it was basically a submarine on wheels. The TS030 doesn't appear to have that problem. And even if it did, debuting at Spa instead of Le Mans would not make any difference - there is no way Toyota would be about to sort out the critical flaws in the design in six weeks.

Debut at Le Mans? Sounds awfully AMR-One to me... And we know how well they did.

Except Toyota have essentially been forced into this situation. The car doesn't have any apparent flaws unlike the AMR-One.

The one thing that I'm going to follow with this program is if Toyota will actually succeed with this car, or fail on a global stage as Toyota has done a number of times. I think back to them just being not good enough to win. I want Toyota to succeed. However, you look at the Toyota GT-One and the Toyota F1 team as two examples of them just not being good enough to win despite all their money.

Again- I want Toyota to succeed. My only concern is if they can actually emerge apart from their past failures on the world stage of racing.

To be fair, the GT-One was very capable of winning the Le Mans in 1999, but their luck ran out, Peugeot style.

Back