Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
A disgusting abomination, a low class cash grab nothing more. Totally misread the fan base and let the bean counters defile and ruin a legendary name.

Good job toyota, my mkiv will be the last toyota i ever purchase.

Ever hear of used car sales ?

The point he is making is buying a used car doesn't fill toyota's pocket it fills the used car dealers pocket. Unless its bought new or you somehow buy oem parts directly from toyota you aren't really giving them sales

The point he is making is buying a used car doesn't fill toyota's pocket it fills the used car dealers pocket. Unless its bought new or you somehow buy oem parts directly from toyota you aren't really giving them sales

I purchased it used, From a toyota dealership. Thus the last Toyota ill buy.

Isn't that all cars though?

Nope. Ms Amgs Stangs GT350 especially Hellcats, hell any Vett are beautiful cash grabs that give the fanbase what they dream off.

are beautiful cash grabs

I see, I was under the mistake impression that "cash grab" was inherently "low class". Now I see that you're making a distinction between the low class supra and the much classier hellcat.

Wait a minute, there will be a Supra on the market making less power than the GT86?

:lol:
Kilowatts, Billy. :P:lol::gtpflag:
255hp. About the same as a base "poverty pack" BA Falcon 4.0 inline-6
IMG_6389.JPG

So the answer is no, you weren't a Toyota customer. You bought a car fifteen years after Toyota stopped making them, and Toyota has no reason to care about your outrage about a successor car you probably weren't going to buy anyway.

As i already said, "I purchased it used, From a toyota dealership. Thus the last Toyota ill buy. "

This thing is totally being destroyed on supraforums, you know by actual supra owners that have been begging and whining for a new supra for 25 years ready to throw begs of money at Toyota to get one. It is Stunning how badly toyota fumbled this car. The actual enthusiast the Supra owner despise everything about it.

As i already said, "I purchased it used, From a toyota dealership. Thus the last Toyota ill buy. "

This thing is totally being destroyed on supraforums, you know by actual supra owners that have been begging and whining for a new supra for 25 years ready to throw begs of money at Toyota to get one. It is Stunning how badly toyota fumbled this car. The actual enthusiast the Supra owner despise everything about it.

You bought an MKIV Supra from a Toyota Dealership in 2013? That couldn't have been cheap.

You bought an MKIV Supra from a Toyota Dealership in 2013? That couldn't have been cheap.

Yes and no, i was annoyed given prices were rock bottom around 08/09 but i just didn't have the ability to finance a old used car. BUT compared to the insanity of today's prices i got a bargain, one older lawyer was the owner full maintenance history at one dealership. A few bolt on's all HKS. took 4 or 5 trips to the dealer before we shook hands.

I was ready to give the dealer a call saying i'm the guy with the last Supra you ever sold lol here is 10K deposit i want the new one, but this thing is no Supra in my eyes. If i want a bimmer ill go to bmw and get an M.

Ft1 Supra id pay up to 100k (with every option possible), this i wouldn't pay 35k as a daily beater.

This is just such a letdown.

2 assumptions being presented falsely above by Mr. Supra.

1- Speaking for all Supra owners when I’ve read others are still buying it.

2- Making statements about the car without any full tests or performance figures to dictate if it truly is worth the money/name. If this car holds its own against the competition better than the MK. IV did, what does that say about the old car everyone hypes?

Toyota is in an impossible situation trying to make the best of it.

For about 10 years now there has been non-stop criticism of Toyota for building nothing but appliances. They are still a wildly successful car maker by most standards and could probably ignore the critics and just keep making their apocalypse-proof vehicles. Instead they've sought to prove the critics wrong, but they aren't going into it as a suicide mission, they want to make money, as would any responsible business. They don't have a sports car capable platform and building one for such a low volume product is a bad business decision. So they partner with Subaru to make the GT86 and BMW for the Supra.

Regarding the Supra specifically. It's obvious Toyota wants to make a sports car for this segment, and it should have been obvious since the earliest information that it would be effectively a re-skinned BMW. It's a fairly valid criticism. But saying it shouldn't have the Supra name is so non-nonsensical that I can't really understand it as a rational argument. You're basically asking Toyota to step into the ring against the likes of the C7 Corvette, 718 Cayman, and Alpine A110 with a $50,000 Toyota-branded product NOT called the Supra. There is no way Toyota executives could allow that to happen. It's either the Supra or it doesn't exist.

The new Supra is probably, honestly, the very best we could have hoped for IMO. I still don't like the way it looks so much, but calling it sacrilege just seems so strange to me. To say it doesn't deserve the Supra name (or whatever) is effectively saying Toyota shouldn't be building it at all, which I disagree with vehemently. We need MORE sports cars, not less.

Yeah and the dealers are NOT a direct link to toyota, whoever owns that dealership bought the car or got it on trade thus not making it toyota's.

I see you are here just to rant as you have just joined today to spout this off I guess

Yes and no, i was annoyed given prices were rock bottom around 08/09 but i just didn't have the ability to finance a old used car. BUT compared to the insanity of today's prices i got a bargain, one older lawyer was the owner full maintenance history at one dealership. A few bolt on's all HKS. took 4 or 5 trips to the dealer before we shook hands.

I was ready to give the dealer a call saying i'm the guy with the last Supra you ever sold lol here is 10K deposit i want the new one, but this thing is no Supra in my eyes. If i want a bimmer ill go to bmw and get an M.

Ft1 Supra id pay up to 100k (with every option possible), this i wouldn't pay 35k as a daily beater.

This is just such a letdown.

We're gonna need pics of said Supra with a can of baked beans on the hood to ensure you aren't just pulling random images from the internet and passing it off as yours. Supra and bean pics please.

It's understandable in the modern market and Toyota could have done far worse than BMW. Like not making a new Supra at all, for a start.
BMW has an abysmal track record of reliability in the US. What co-development with BMW tells me and anybody who would buy a Toyota instead of a BMW is that it'll be unreliable, and parts will be expensive.

And it was engineered by Toyota.
I feel like we're working with two definitions of "developed" or "engineered". We've already seen photos on the internet of all the parts stamped or labelled "BMW" underneath. It's got lug bolts which is all the proof I need that a Japanese company did not make the decisions when engineering this car. And yes I'm serious about that statement - Japanese companies don't use lug bolts because they don't make poor, overly-complex decisions. In fact, the lug bolt vs lug stud argument encompasses the entire idea of owning a Japanese car instead of a European one.

belly-aching...driving
I don't test drive cars and write about them for a living. I own them and I work on them. I choose not to own and work on a BMW for a reason. Last I checked, you don't own any of the myriad affordable BMWs that people compare to a Miata, either.

Two Japanese companies. Lug studs.

Japanese. Lug studs. EDIT: I stand corrected. The new NSX has lug bolts. But that's the only example I've ever heard of, and it's unobtanium anyway.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Supra...some BMW bits
Not Japanese. Lug bolts.

I don't understand what you're not seeing about my point. The Supra will drive great. I'm not arguing that. My point is that it's going to be a bad car because it's not a Toyota, it's a BMW. And that's why I would refuse to own one, because if I wanted a BMW I'd get one get a second job to pay for out-of-warranty maintenance, and then I'd get one.

Last edited:
BMW has an abysmal track record of reliability in the US. What co-development with BMW tells me and anybody who would buy a Toyota instead of a BMW is that it'll be unreliable, and parts will be expensive.

I feel like we're working with two definitions of "developed" or "engineered". We've already seen photos on the internet of all the parts stamped or labelled "BMW" underneath. It's got lug bolts which is all the proof I need that a Japanese company did not make the decisions when engineering this car. And yes I'm serious about that statement - Japanese companies don't use lug bolts because they don't make poor, overly-complex decisions. In fact, the lug bolt vs lug stud argument encompasses the entire idea of owning a Japanese car instead of a European one.

I don't test drive cars and write about them for a living. I own them and I work on them. I choose not to own and work on a BMW for a reason. Last I checked, you don't own any of the myriad affordable BMWs that people compare to a Miata, either.

Japanese. Lug studs. EDIT: I stand corrected. The new NSX has lug bolts. But that's the only example I've ever heard of, and it's unobtanium anyway.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Not Japanese. Lug bolts.

I don't understand what you're not seeing about my point. The Supra will drive great. I'm not arguing that. My point is that it's going to be a bad car because it's not a Toyota, it's a BMW. And that's why I would refuse to own one, because if I wanted a BMW I'd get one get a second job to pay for out-of-warranty maintenance, and then I'd get one.

Counterpoint: Lug bolts have less rotating mass therefore achieve the ultimate driving experience.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Japanese. Lug studs.

Not Japanese. Lug bolts.

Is there a date limit on that? My FB Rx7 had lug studs....

Latest Posts

Back