Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
You all act like i'm claiming i own a F40 or something :boggled:.
Its ok i love proving people wrong.

Please do prove our suspicions wrong. You'll have a lot more credibility here. If you do not and skate around it, this forum isn't very forgiving and it will follow you as long as you stick around.

@Supaboost you really think "owning" a Mk IV means anything? You own a 20 year old car, congrats.

That is, if it's true. You know, if I personally owned a car like the Supra, and claimed I did on the internet I'd have no issue proving it. I have the car, I have a phone to take pictures of it. It'd take longer for you to write a post saying "oh it's absolutely true I own a Mk IV" than it is to prove it.

As @Blood Eagle has said, we'll remind you of your Mk IV until you prove it.

If it is true, well congratulations, you own the fakest Supra. Come back when you own the real Supra, the Celica Supra. Now that was the real deal. The Mk III had already crapped all over the legendary name of the Supra, so what the Mk IV did I can't even describe with words.

Okay? Then prove us wrong. Stop dilly-dallying about.

yes captain gtr.

35ksum8.jpg

@Supaboost you really think "owning" a Mk IV means anything? You own a 20 year old car, congrats.

That is, if it's true. You know, if I personally owned a car like the Supra, and claimed I did on the internet I'd have no issue proving it. I have the car, I have a phone to take pictures of it. It'd take longer for you to write a post saying "oh it's absolutely true I own a Mk IV" than it is to prove it.

As @Blood Eagle has said, we'll remind you of your Mk IV until you prove it.

If it is true, well congratulations, you own the fakest Supra. Come back when you own the real Supra, the Celica Supra. Now that was the real deal. The Mk III had already crapped all over the legendary name of the Supra, so what the Mk IV did I can't even describe with words.

lol

Toyota is in an impossible situation trying to make the best of it.

For about 10 years now there has been non-stop criticism of Toyota for building nothing but appliances. They are still a wildly successful car maker by most standards and could probably ignore the critics and just keep making their apocalypse-proof vehicles. Instead they've sought to prove the critics wrong, but they aren't going into it as a suicide mission, they want to make money, as would any responsible business. They don't have a sports car capable platform and building one for such a low volume product is a bad business decision. So they partner with Subaru to make the GT86 and BMW for the Supra.

Regarding the Supra specifically. It's obvious Toyota wants to make a sports car for this segment, and it should have been obvious since the earliest information that it would be effectively a re-skinned BMW. It's a fairly valid criticism. But saying it shouldn't have the Supra name is so non-nonsensical that I can't really understand it as a rational argument. You're basically asking Toyota to step into the ring against the likes of the C7 Corvette, 718 Cayman, and Alpine A110 with a $50,000 Toyota-branded product NOT called the Supra. There is no way Toyota executives could allow that to happen. It's either the Supra or it doesn't exist.

The new Supra is probably, honestly, the very best we could have hoped for IMO. I still don't like the way it looks so much, but calling it sacrilege just seems so strange to me. To say it doesn't deserve the Supra name (or whatever) is effectively saying Toyota shouldn't be building it at all, which I disagree with vehemently. We need MORE sports cars, not less.

As much as I wanted an FT-1 like GTR competitor, I do understand Toyota's business practices and them not wanting to waste money while staying on top. I do like the A90 and don't mind the BMW collaboration, or even the lack of a manual. However, in regard to them wanting to make money, I believe Toyota made a mistake because of the branding, which will cost them lots of sales. Toyota should’ve realized that bringing back a car with the Supra nameplate will be difficult to do successfully because of the appeal that it got. They also should have remembered that almost all of the love for the MK4 was simply for its engine and crazy mod capabilities. So, when making a successor, despite not technically having to have that main aspect to be a new Supra, since it was simply a grand touring sports car at first, the reactions of fans can greatly affect the success of a car. So when hearing about a new Supra, they all wanted that main aspect of what they thought of the Supra to be all about, which they didn't get. Therefore, Toyota using the Supra nameplate to get more sales and attention to this car is backfiring.

Also, looking at the specs and the fact that it is now technically a luxury car, it goes more against the Cayman, Alpine, and Z4 than the other cars its being compared to like the mustang and vette. Lots of people who care about the brand name (in this segment especially) will ignore the Supra, saying its an overpriced Z competitor. Meanwhile, people looking to buy a Japanese designed sports car will notice the similar power figures of the Supra and Z (or higher figures if there is a Z successor) and may go for the latter option since its cheaper. Therefore, it would have been smarter for Toyota to not only remove the Supra nameplate, but make this car a Lexus model instead.

Also, saying that it would be better without the Supra name does not mean that Toyota should not be building it. We do need more sports cars of course. However, the only way a company (especially like Toyota) will keep building these types of cars is if they sell well in the first place obviously. So that is why I believe the branding is something that Toyota will regret later on, and that this car won't sell well.

Toyota should’ve realized that bringing back a car with the Supra nameplate will be difficult to do successfully because of the appeal that it got. They also should have remembered that almost all of the love for the MK4 was simply for its engine and crazy mod capabilities..

Sorry but that is plain wrong and i see it said by many who clearly were not part of Supra community.

The car was loved from day one because it held its own against the best sports cars and even super cars. Magazines wrote comparisons against ferraris and the damn toyota held its own. Its stock performance was just above and beyond what a Toyota should have been capable off.

The Supra and the GTR took on the world and held their own, that why they are loved appreciated. Plenty japanese cars of the 90s have massive aftermarkets and 1000hp potential but they are not in the MKivs and Gtrs league when it comes to Japanese 90s sports cars.

It took over a decade for the 1000hp to show up and they were freaking unicorns early on. I remember when 600whp was holy **** and the massive pissing contest for who will dyno 1000whp first and the 1/4 wars were legendary. Woon Tozer Marko SaadSaad ex the pioneers, also the time where Supra tuning in USA surpassed that of Japan.

Nice engine bay, where is it from?

i don't know you tell me, no dilly dalling about the answer though.

2mepwsk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but that is plain wrong and i see it said by many who clearly were not part of Supra community.

The car was loved from day one because it held its own against the best sports cars and even super cars. Magazines wrote comparisons against ferraris and the damn toyota held its own. Its stock performance was just above and beyond what a Toyota should have been capable off.

The Supra and the GTR took on the world and held their own, that why they are loved appreciated. Plenty japanese cars of the 90s have massive aftermarkets and 1000hp potential but they are not in the MKivs and Gtrs league when it comes to Japanese 90s sports cars.

It took over a decade for the 1000hp to show up and they were freaking unicorns early on. I remember when 600whp was holy **** and the massive pissing contest for who will dyno 1000whp first and the 1/4 wars were legendary. Woon Tozer Marko SaadSaad ex the pioneers, also the time where Supra tuning in USA surpassed that of Japan.

I'm sure the car was great when it was stock, and am aware of how it did well when compared to others. I should have clarified that a lot of the appeal for the Supra for its engine was from the people that loved the MK4 after seeing it in Fast and Furious, where it gained even more popularity. Ever since there were more 1000hp Supras, the fanbase just kept growing. Before the new Supra came, that major part of the fanbase were the ones giving out a lot of the hype on that part of the car.

I'm sure the car was great when it was stock, and am aware of how it did well when compared to others. I should have clarified that a lot of the appeal for the Supra for its engine was from the people that loved the MK4 after seeing it in Fast and Furious, where it gained even more popularity. Ever since there were more 1000hp Supras, the fanbase just kept growing. Before the new Supra came, that major part of the fanbase were the ones giving out a lot of the hype on that part of the car.

Lets be honest the FaF fan base are more about looks then hp and actual performance.

Toyota they had the perfect chance to re enter the sports car world with a bang.

FT1 was perfect.

and then the dud.

Pretty sure an stock Mk IV is slower than a stock ZR1. What ZR1 are you talking about that's slower than a Supra?

the one Motor trend tested. 93 august issue.

Says Zr1 405hp 67k as tested, wow that is one expensive vett.

Lets be honest the FaF fan base are more about looks then hp and actual performance.

Toyota they had the perfect chance to re enter the sports car world with a bang.

FT1 was perfect.

and then the dud.

It's like they built the FT1 just to show fans that they knew what the true GTR competing Supra would be like, despite not actually planning to make it. It sucks, but knowing Toyota and them wanting to save as much money as possible to stay far on top, that's just what it is.

Quite a cruel troll lol

Oh I thought you were talking about the new one. I don't know anything about that ZR1 but if its slower than a car with nearly 100 hp less then that's pretty embarrassing.
Although while the Mk V might be slower than a base C7 in a straight line, we don't know what it'll do in the corners. I have a feeling it'll be better than its rivals there.

Oh I thought you were talking about the new one. I don't know anything about that ZR1 but if its slower than a car with nearly 100 hp less then that's pretty embarrassing.
Although while the Mk V might be slower than a base C7 in a straight line, we don't know what it'll do in the corners. I have a feeling it'll be better than its rivals there.

MKV was designed to do very well in the corners, it should have no problem there. Especially when they are rivaling it against the Cayman.

The current ZR-1 will beat it in no time flat.

That's because Toyota isn't going upmarket with the Supra like how Nissan and Honda did with the GT-R and NSX.

Why do you gotta be a smartass about it? Just show the damn car.

Nice engine bay and interior, but where's the rest of the car?

It's like they built the FT1 just to show fans that they knew what the true GTR competing Supra would be like, despite not actually planning to make it. It sucks, but knowing Toyota and them wanting to save as much money as possible to stay far on top, that's just what it is.

Quite a cruel troll lol

Its pathetic is what it is, if Gm of all people can make a sports car work from 55k to north of 100k then toyota has no excuses.

They chickened out, and miss read the fanbase.

.3 of a second slower to 60, yet the base C7 has more than 100hp more than the Supra.

It's not that deep bro

.3/.5 slower to 60, that 100hp will mean plenty difference on the top end.

Same price though and 100hp more.

What 65k Zr1? Cause the car in the 90s wasn't that much

well the mag says 67k as tested.
http://oi66.tinypic.com/6tjrc5.jpg

Same price though and 100hp more.
That's because the Supra is designed to be a more premium vehicle than the corvette. Even though GM has improved their interior quality when compared to the 2000s, The interior of a corvette wouldn't be anywhere as nice as the BMW interior in the Z4/Supra.

The A80 Supra was also quite a premium car for it's time, and was far more expensive than the A90 if you adjust for inflation.

Thought the ZR1 option, was double the price of the car back then.

Anyway, wish I could have those last couple pages of my life back.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/27/18105479/jd-power-car-commercials

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/can-you-trust-those-awards-you-see-in-auto-ads/
There's a lot more sources you can read up on as well. Therefore, it would explain why BMW and Toyota are rated equally, but more importantly why you see those ridiculous Chevy commercials that say they use "real people".
Neither of these sources say this, though.
Lol JD Power is a scam, its basically an advertising firm. They get paid to say whatever they want. The so called "sample" or "people surveyed" could even be just a very small group of people or someone who works for the company.
And of course there is J.D. Power & Associates, who reportedly charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to car makers just for access to their survey results and then charge another big-time fee for the right to mention their awards in ads. Additionally, they provide a separate, equally pricey service where they help car companies make improvements that should result in higher ratings.
This states manufacturers are paying to read the surveys.

It does appear to be highly questioned on what is defined as a "problem". But, your first source dictates it has gone both ways.
In recent years, J.D. Power’s IQS has come under a lot of scrutiny from publications like Car and Driver and Extreme Tech for what it classifies as a problem and how it uses consumer surveys to rank vehicles. The survey records “problems,” but this could mean an actual problem with the function of the car, or a problem a driver has personally with a feature in the car. For example, a faulty door lock and a frustration with voice command would be equally weighted as “problems,” even if the voice command is working exactly as it’s supposed to. In this sense, J.D. Power’s IQS is not reflective of quality, like the name implies, as much as consumer satisfaction.

Still, this can be helpful in its own way. Ezra Dyer of Popular Mechanics says that when he was at the Kia factory in Georgia a few years ago, Kia employees told him that when they first released the Sorrento, J.D. Power’s IQS report informed them that customers didn’t think the back windshield wiper should be a button on the dashboard but a rotary switch on the steering wheel. The next year, Kia changed this design and customers no longer had a problem with it. In this instance, the fact that the survey collected what people didn’t like — not only what didn’t work — was helpful to Kia.
None of you what shared though, provides the evidence of why BMW & Toyota both have equal scores, and neither source claims either manufacturer paid J.D. Power to "say whatever they want".

That's my response to most of you since its clear you all got little to no experience with this car or sports cars in general. Read some old mags or watch those old video tests, mkiv was overwhelmingly praised for its engineering at the time. Maybe i'm old nuff to actually have lived it. One of the few sequential turbo systems that not only worked perfectly but was reliable as a tank. Not to mention the high speed aerodynamics and use of light material for its time and reliability when beat on like no other car.
I can think of 3 members who work in automotive journalism, 1 member who works in the automotive industry with insider knowledge of Nissan, and others who are/were sports car owners. There's plenty of experience in this thread. Your claim to fame seems to rely on you buying a Supra 11 years after it ended production....
Back on Topic.
2019 mkv is slower then a base Corvette.

wtf toyota...
By a tiny margin. Wait til' some actual track times come out before bench racing 0-60 times as the end-all.
The car was loved from day one because it held its own against the best sports cars and even super cars. Magazines wrote comparisons against ferraris and the damn toyota held its own.
The same Ferraris everybody whooped on? :lol: The 348, Mondial, & 456 were not exactly highlights of Ferrari's history. It took the NSX for Ferrari to change its tune & build the F355.

For what it's worth, most of these supercar killer reviews seem focused on the Mk. IV's incredible acceleration at the time. It would be interesting to see some lap time comparisons against the 348, 911 Turbo, & ZR1 of the era.

Back