Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Couldn't care less about impressing you of all people.
Is that why you keep bringing up mystery magazine tests to prove how great the A80 was without bothering to source them? Because you couldn't care less?
It that why you joined this forum and posted two dozen posts in this thread about how much worse the A90 will be than an A80? Because you couldn't care less?

But i clearly proved you wrong given it was you who claimed the c5 shreaded the Mkiv
Because it did. Especially in the acceleration measurements that you keep putting so much importance on; which was also what the person I quoted specifically mentioned. The test you brought up to prove it didn't even showed the Supra being slower.

Well, that's a convenient way to say "I didn't get it."

Its straight up irrelevant, with a sports can named Supra a certain level of performance is expected especially given its past. I expect a miata to be a miata and a new miata will be more or less a miata lol.

Good try.

And people wanted the Supra name back. Sure, some diehard MKIV fans will decry the loss of the 2JZ and its dyno-run queen status, but that's not the only potential clientele out there. Thinking it is is delusional.

Given the BMW connection, I think this is somewhat pertinent:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/1-series-owners-think-its-fwd

A lot of people won't know and/or care about the BMW-ness underneath.

People wanted the Ft1 not a bastardized bmw. The lexus V6tt or V8 would have been fine. Whats so hard to get ? you all get hung up on a I6 but most logially would rather have a over built over engineered reliable engine then a unreliable i6, but hell that's just me i want my car to run not be in for warranty service.

Hilarious given the next one is fwd and the amount of **** that fwd thing get on bmw forums in unbelievable. Plus how much weight am i to put behind clealry BS pr statements ?

Am i to believe those people drive in snow or rain and not know what wheels drive them forward ? sure there sure uhuh ok.

axiiu.jpg

Its straight up irrelevant, with a sports can named Supra a certain level of performance is expected especially given its past. I expect a miata to be a miata and a new miata will be more or less a miata lol.
It's actually extremely relevant to what you've been saying. Either way, it being irrelevant or not, you still seemed to have missed it completely.

Is that why you keep bringing up mystery magazine tests to prove how great the A80 was without bothering to source them? Because you couldn't care less?
It that why you joined this forum and posted two dozen posts in this thread about how much worse the A90 will be than an A80? Because you couldn't care less?

Because it did. Especially in the acceleration measurements that you keep putting so much importance on; which was also what the person I quoted specifically mentioned. The test you brought up to prove it didn't even showed the Supra being slower.

If you want to know what year/month just ask bud, how is me saying Motor Trend make it a mystery ?

Shredding the comp is losing to it on a road course and splitting half the compared metrics, huh i never knew lol.

The only thing a Mustang is going to maul is the crowd it inevitably plows into when some kid tries to race some other kid in a Supra.

Seems funny but iv seem people get injured do to idiots in a car, its not so funny actually.

The Average BMW 1 Series buyer is the exact same as the Average A90 Supra buyer you heard it here first.

Seems the reading miscomprehension is contagious. :ill:

The car matters, a Sports car that's likely not suitable for daily usage is going to attract a certain kind of customer, one that is likely going to know which wheels are driving the car.

This isn't some temperamental exotic. It's a car built on a platform related to the 3-series, pretty much the default compact sedan these days. I live in Canada and I see dozens of those every day, even when there's half a foot of snow and the temperature's dropped to -20C.

Its straight up irrelevant, with a sports can named Supra a certain level of performance is expected especially given its past.

You realize its past consists of more than the A80, right?

People wanted the Ft1 not a bastardized bmw. The lexus V6tt or V8 would have been fine. Whats so hard to get ? you all get hung up on a I6 but most logially would rather have a over built over engineered reliable engine then a unreliable i6, but hell that's just me i want my car to run not be in for warranty service.

No, some people wanted the FT-1. Confirmation bias doesn't change that.

You make a different engine sound as easy as pressing a button. And let's be real here: the obsessive A80 fans would've likely been just as bothered by the idea of a V8 Supra.

The N55 isn't a terribly unreliable engine. Its predecessor was. And again, Toyota is a company, one probably wanting to remain profitable. Building a bunch of bespoke items for a low-volume sports car is the wrong way to do that. This isn't the late '80s, where it can ride an economic bubble with no foresight.

Am i to believe those people drive in snow or rain and not know what wheels drive them forward ? sure there sure uhuh ok.
Er, yeah. Especially over in Europe, where a 1-series can have a little over 100hp. Pair that with standard driver assists and indifference about the mechanical aspect of cars, and I would not be surprised if people knew which wheels the power was going through.

Hell, I've had family members that grew up with rear-drive vehicles think putting kitty litter or sand under the rear tires of their modern front-drive sedans would help find traction in the snow. A lot of people give almost zero thought to the mechanical side of their car: it's simply a method of getting places. While I'm sure that won't be as true for A90 drivers, there will be some folks who just want it because it's a storied name from a company that seems to be rediscovering its enthusiast side, and they saw an older orange one in a multi-billion dollar movie franchise when they were younger.

Toyota actually designed the A80 in 1978. It was the first Supra. They just had it sit in warehouses until it the A70 generation was outdated enough that it could look even more impressive.

Shredding the comp is losing to it on a road course and splitting half the compared metrics, huh i never knew lol.
Reading comprehension problems will do that I guess. Go back and read the post I quoted. Then read my response about how difficult it is to get a hard 0-60 launch with the ZR-1 as someone who has driven several and came very close to buying one. Then look at the page of the C5-A80 test you're referring to that shows acceleration times. Then, perhaps, go back and read all of your posts about how outsized in importance the A90s horsepower and drag strip performance is compared to seemingly everything else.

Because while the A80 was a good enough handling car that it could still put up a good fight with the C5 on a track and static grip tests (especially when the C5 is equipped with the comfort suspension, as in your smoking gun comparison test) just like the C4 could vis a vis the A80, what it could not do is reliably hope to compete in the metric you have been repeatedly placing the most importance in.

Last edited:
Its straight up irrelevant, with a sports can named Supra a certain level of performance is expected especially given its past.
Then once more, why don’t you wait for actual tests to come out? All we have is a 0-60 time and horsepower. The competition has the upper hand in horsepower, but that doesn’t guarantee anything until lap times come out. You seem to be forgetting the Supra isn’t being bred to fight QTR mile times.

Again, it's what I don't get with this concern over its performance. The first Supras weren't trying to beat Corvette. They made a more upscale Celeica with a straight six.
Saying the Supra is an 86 with a body kit and straight si... well, whaddayaknow?

How many complaints would there be, if the Supra came out as a $100,000 competitor to GT-R & NSX? I think there are only a handful of members here(not speaking for the world market), that would be able to actually afford such a car. I think one member even owns the first NISMO R35.

One point is still being missed, that Toyota are hoping many people buy the Supra to then also tune them.
With only 300 coming here, I'll probably mainly see them in Sydney and Melbourne.

Again, it's what I don't get with this concern over its performance. The first Supras weren't trying to beat Corvette. They made a more upscale Celeica with a straight six.
Saying the Supra is an 86 with a body kit and straight si... well, whaddayaknow?
Even more than that, after the tons of crap the NSX and GT-R got for following the 911 Turbo and V8 Ferrari upmarket after their extended hiatus from the market, and the Supra is being pilloried for changing back to the more upscale Fairlady/Camaro/Mustang fighter of the first three generations when targeting higher didn't work out amazing for the A80.

or a goddamn GTS Whining thread?

No, but this is the internet.. so as Danoff alluded to earlier in the thread...

upload_2019-1-24_23-8-40.png

edit:

On the plus side, I took what I've learned from this thread and applied it to real life.. I've got a couple of warning lights on my BMW... so I fitted some lug studs, and **** me if it didn't fix the problem with the tyre pressure warning sensors, the fuel pump, and the cooling system...

Last edited:
Good lord this thread has become embarrassing to read at this point. Seriously is this a car thread or a goddamn GTS Whining thread?

What do you expect considering the hyperbole that has followed this car since the FT-1 concept was unveiled?

Nice. The LFA is one of my favorite cars of all time. One of the best looking rear ends imo and I love the exhaust design. Best sounding car to me as well.

Nice. The LFA is one of my favorite cars of all time. One of the best looking rear ends imo and I love the exhaust design. Best sounding car to me as well.

LFA is certainly interesting. Here's a panel from the article that accompanies the cover... Steve Sutcliffe on the Mk III when considering the pending Mk IV...

IMAG1305.jpg

I want to read that article about taking a TVR to Moscow, though.

Not as interesting as it sounds...
IMAG1306.jpg

IMAG1307.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus, I can't wait for the upset folks to get even more butthurt the LC-F isn't anything like a "proper" Supra successor, either.

It won't be nearly as bad as it is now since it won't actually have the "Supra" nameplate, but I get what you're saying since it's going to be in the GTR/NSX performance range.

Then once more, why don’t you wait for actual tests to come out? All we have is a 0-60 time and horsepower. The competition has the upper hand in horsepower, but that doesn’t guarantee anything until lap times come out. You seem to be forgetting the Supra isn’t being bred to fight QTR mile times.

It Frs 2.0, slow overpriced and under powered. But it wasn't bred for performance so its ok.

How many complaints would there be, if the Supra came out as a $100,000 competitor to GT-R & NSX? I think there are only a handful of members here(not speaking for the world market), that would be able to actually afford such a car. I think one member even owns the first NISMO R35.

Great excuse making, but who said they cant make a 40k Supra for those wanting the badge and more faster models all the way to a 100k GTR fighting beast :confused:

Plenty people can easily afford it that would pay 100k for a real Supra that can duke it out with the GTR NSX or 911. but unlike all the Toyota apologists i would not be against a cheapo version for the masses. It only works for the Stang Vett hell even 911.

It Frs 2.0, slow overpriced and under powered. But it wasn't bred for performance so its ok.
A Stingray has 120 more horsepower, weighs 100lbs. less, and can only muster .4 seconds quicker to 60? Not a bad start.

You really should've bought a Challenger. Fits your obsession with horsepower and no understanding of any performance measures beyond 1320ft.

Great excuse making, but who said they cant make a 40k Supra for those wanting the badge and more faster models all the way to a 100k GTR fighting beast :confused:

Plenty people can easily afford it that would pay 100k for a real Supra that can duke it out with the GTR NSX or 911. but unlike all the Toyota apologists i would not be against a cheapo version for the masses. It only works for the Stang Vett hell even 911.
You do remember why this one is being made, right? You do know who are actually building the car, yes?
Check this out:
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/249504/toyota-supra-grmn-development-rumor/amp/
The standard Supra will arrive first and go on sale in 2019, according to Tada. Regarding the GRMN version, Tada told Motoring Research: "I would like to see something like that eventually. We are preparing for it."

I mean, I'll be 48 in a few months. So, sometimes I forget things at my age. We all need little reminders now and again.

Back