Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
There is still no official news from Toyota Belgium if the 2L 4-cylinder is going to be available.

Mentioning the 4-cylinder, just realising Toyota will be the only Super GT500 manufacturer, to offer the same size engine, in its race car and road car.

Can't wait to see how both 4 and 6-cylinder engines fair, in reviews.

Here's some behind the scene photos of HKS's D1GP Supra with a 2JZ

daigo_hks_supra_dino_dalle_carbonare_07.jpg

daigo_hks_supra_dino_dalle_carbonare_11.jpg

daigo_hks_supra_dino_dalle_carbonare_10.jpg

daigo_hks_supra_dino_dalle_carbonare_18.jpg

daigo_hks_supra_dino_dalle_carbonare_36.jpg

daigo_hks_supra_dino_dalle_carbonare_33.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/03/under-the-skin-of-the-first-2jz-swapped-a90-supra/

And the finished product in action:

Designers did a good job with the headlights and tailights. The same way the stock 86/BRZ don't look like much, the Supra steps up its base(some say ugly, I'm fine with it stock) look when customized.

I had edited my previous post to point out that of course the wheelbase is not the only factor.

I think you can tell where these cars feel at home when driving them. The NSX (just taking a longer wheelbase mid-engined car for a moment) feels, all the way around, like it's designed for higher speed turns than either the 1st or 2nd gen MR2s (I haven't driven the 3rd). The MR2s both feel like they're designed for higher speed stuff than the Miata. If I had to rank them in order of where the car felt most "at home" I'd put them in that order. NSX, MR2, Miata in order of decreasing speed. How much of that is down to the wheelbase I'll set aside, although I note that the higher speed the sports car, the longer the wheelbase tends to be. The wheelbase of those three cars also happens to be in that order.

The Miata feels like a great car. The MR2 just feels more nimble, and more stable, simultaneously, and based on my limited experience I chalk that up to being mid-engined and having a longer wheelbase. I have driven the Mk2 MR2 with both a staggered and square tire setup, and it didn't feel like the tire setup changed the character nearly to the degree that hopping in a miata does.

I think that the turbo is not a great comparison with the miata, unless you stick a turbo on said miata.

To play devil's advocate, the higher speed the sports car, the larger the engine tends to be and the requirement for a longer wheelbase so said engine will actually fit :sly:

Just as an FYI, there is a bit of a wheelbase demonstration in the latest Grand Tour (Episode 12).

Seems balanced and adjustable. Also by no means slow! ABS might be slightly intrusive? Seems to run on a bit in slow speed corners. The boost very quickly overwhelms traction.

Looks fun :)

I need to see this car IRL before I can say if I like this car or not.
I don't. ;)

It's going to be a hit. Within reach of affordability, the tuner scene will love it. I actually feel the Auto is what will draw so many to it.

Been watching a few videos, here's what I've taken from them

Pros:
- Balanced, neutral handling
- Very fun
- Easy to oversteer
- ZF 8 speed auto (Toyota tuned) is extremely good
- Seats are good
- Doesn't feel heavy

Cons:
- Poor visibility
- Obvious similarities with the BMW Z4 (buttons, infotainment, etc)
- Overall looks (to some people), fake vents

General notes:
- Toyota wanted it to be an inline 6, so they decided to partner up with BMW since they have good inline 6's
- Toyota dissembled the engine and tested it thoroughly for meet their reliability standards
- There are mounting points for braces in the engine bay. There were braces there before, however Toyota decided the handling wasn't good so they removed them. The mounting points are still there for the aftermarket producers
- Premium trim has bigger rear brakes, reduces brake fade when tracking for a long time
- Toyota used the Cayman as the benchmark
- The crossbar in the interior is not a structural piece. It is to stop the seats from moving
- Steering rack ratio is 15:1 (the 86 is 13:1)
- Toyota is aware that the manual is badly wanted
- lower center of gravity than the 86
- Chassis is more rigid than the LFA

Back