Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
I find the idea of an electric 2JZ highly amusing.

I'd wait and see how the engine will fare in the long run. I don't think BMW would stack plastic onto it without being confident in its reliability.

I'm not confident in BMW's belief in reliability.
I'm more confident in decisions of people who have engineering degrees and design engines for a living. But then, once again, I'd rather wait. If it breaks soon, then you were right and BMW didn't do their homework; if it doesn't, then all is gucci. Too early to tell anything.

I'm more confident in decisions of people who have engineering degrees and design engines for a living.

I don't design engines. But I do have engineering degrees, and I own a BMW, and I have access to the maintenance history of 7 more.

Guess it's a good thing Toyota re-worked this motor to their requirements then, so reliability shouldn't be a concern. They also reportedly, left the ECU open for the aftermarket to play with.

Guess it's a good thing Toyota re-worked this motor to their requirements then, so reliability shouldn't be a concern. They also reportedly, left the ECU open for the aftermarket to play with.
That's the extra bit I like about what Toyota have done.

Now we have to see if finance companies will understand Toyota giving "owners" the green light to modify "their" cars. :)

That and the whole thing has gone through Toyota quality control. It's not like they slapped a body over the top of it and sent it out the door.

So:

1. German engineering
  2. Vorsprung durch Technik (Audi)

is BS?
Engineering only goes as far as the bean counters allow it, except when it goes too far and is engineering for the sake of engineering, which is to say a complicated solution to a simple problem that often wasn't actually a problem at all.

Engineering only goes as far as the bean counters allow it, except when it goes too far and is engineering for the sake of engineering, which is to say a complicated solution to a simple problem that often wasn't actually a problem at all.
This. It's less German engineering and more German consumerism at play.

So:

1. German engineering
  2. Vorsprung durch Technik (Audi)

is BS?

BMW does stuff like having oil in their control arm bushings, which (partly) causes them to fail at like 60k mi. They don't care because you can just replace it (it's just a rubber part). But they could have put a part in there that would have felt 90% as good and lasted 200k mi. They do that kind of crap all over the car, whether to save money, or deliver the last % of performance. That's why you end up replacing and replacing and replacing.

On the bright side, you actually can service their cars back to feeling like new. Unlike lots of other cars.

So is German Engineering BS? Not exactly, but their focus is not reliability.

BMW also made cars where the subframe was attached to a thin piece of metal. They designed a CCV system that clogs if you don't drive the car long enough. They used piston rings that allowed for excessive oil consumption and kept on moving the normal consumption targets. I also keep reading about how each X5M is basically a ticking time-bomb in regards to what will go wrong next. Yeah...reliability isn't exactly a big concern, not so sure about the engineering either. Are these cost cutting measures?

I am interested in to see how the Supra fares reliability wise.

BMW also made cars where the subframe was attached to a thin piece of metal. They designed a CCV system that clogs if you don't drive the car long enough. They used piston rings that allowed for excessive oil consumption and kept on moving the normal consumption targets. I also keep reading about how each X5M is basically a ticking time-bomb in regards to what will go wrong next. Yeah...reliability isn't exactly a big concern, not so sure about the engineering either. Are these cost cutting measures?

Mine has a transmission that supposedly had lifetime transmission fluid and so it never needed to be changed (and was not designed to be changed). After producing the cars, BMW realized that it needed to be changed. Thus a transmission fluid change is a royal pain and costs extra $$.

Also plastic water pumps, exploding engine fans (3, 5 and 7 series), and leaky gaskets (everywhere - transmission and engine).

Mine has a transmission that supposedly had lifetime transmission fluid and so it never needed to be changed (and was not designed to be changed). After producing the cars, BMW realized that it needed to be changed. Thus a transmission fluid change is a royal pain and costs extra $$.

Also plastic water pumps, exploding engine fans (3, 5 and 7 series), and leaky gaskets (everywhere - transmission and engine).

You also get a lifetime fuel filter. Yay. Then there's the exploding expansion tank. The RACP/subframe issue also applies to non-M models. That's what did it for me (the 100 pound weight that broke the camel's back).

All the complaints of the Supra being made with BMW were mostly because of reliability. But if Toyota went through and made it so it met their reliability standards, then there should be no problem. As a matter of fact, that would make this the MKIV successor everyone really wanted, a car that is highly modifiable and can handle lots of power, except that its more affordable. FT1 supercar would've been cool, but it would be out reach for many, and won't satisfy the visual modification scene and the whole 'building your own fast car' aspect of it like the older car did. So you could say Toyota actually did try to cater to enthusiasts, despite what some say.

The Japanese are good when it comes to reliability because it's the primary concern, they also make it as easy as possible to work on if need be.

It's the exact Opposite of European brands.

I'm just spitballing here, but I think I'd like to see the next Z utilize the Supra/Z4 architecture and the B58. After all, they did have straight sixes for a while there before the VG.

Of course I can't imagine it would happen.

I thought for a split second that you bought one.

I wish, if you could give me $57K I would really appreciate it though.

I'm just spitballing here, but I think I'd like to see the next Z utilize the Supra/Z4 architecture and the B58. After all, they did have straight sixes for a while there before the VG.

Of course I can't imagine it would happen.

Well doesn't Nissan still have that partnership with Mercedes, who now recently put out a new inline 6? Maybe they can do the same thing by working with them to produce sister cars, a new Z and a new SLC (despite being discontinued, but then again the Z4 initially wasn't supposed to go on either.)

Last edited:
Back