Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Well doesn't Nissan still have that partnership with Mercedes, who now recently put out a new inline 6? Maybe they can do the same thing by working with them to produce sister cars, a new Z and a new SLC (despite being discontinued, but then again the Z4 initially wasn't supposed to go on either.)
I wasn't aware of any kind of partnership between those two, but the idea of an M256 Z-car is very intriguing, and a 430hp NISMO model could include the M256 variant offered in the AMG GT four door.

Not sure how I'd feel about the prospect of a shared platform, though, as Mercs have a tendency to be on the chunky side.

Getting back on topic, with previous Toyota (and indeed Supra) chassis codes also including part of the engine designation (e.g. MA70, JZA80), is the A90 technically the BA90 or have they done away with that convention?

Getting back on topic, with previous Toyota (and indeed Supra) chassis codes also including part of the engine designation (e.g. MA70, JZA80), is the A90 technically the BA90 or have they done away with that convention?

It's a BMW code now: J29/DB. (Z4 is G29).

I wasn't aware of any kind of partnership between those two, but the idea of an M256 Z-car is very intriguing, and a 430hp NISMO model could include the M256 variant offered in the AMG GT four door.

Not sure how I'd feel about the prospect of a shared platform, though, as Mercs have a tendency to be on the chunky side.

Just a quick bit: Mercedes used the Navarra for its new X-Class ute(that's now being cancelled after low sales).

Just a quick bit: Mercedes used the Navarra for its new X-Class ute(that's now being cancelled after low sales).
Wasn't the X-class just a rebadge? And limited to Europe? I remember reading that the interior was unchanged...

Probably could have been a success if they put minimal effort into it.

I'm just spitballing here, but I think I'd like to see the next Z utilize the Supra/Z4 architecture and the B58. After all, they did have straight sixes for a while there before the VG.

Of course I can't imagine it would happen.
New Z, if it happens, will be on the Q60 platform utilizing the same VR30 engine.

It's had different front clip and interior. It sold here in Australia.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ercedes-x-class-renault-alaskan.310665/page-4
merc-vs-nissan-main.jpg

Hmm... Bit more of a difference than I remembered lol... Honestly can't tell which interior looks worse...

merc-vs-nissan-main.jpg

Hmm... Bit more of a difference than I remembered lol... Honestly can't tell which interior looks worse...
The interior of the X-Class obviously looks more upscale and luxurious compared to the Navara's utilitarian one. Just by simply looking at the design, especially the cockpit tells that already. If only the latter could inherit some cues inside of the former someday, since MB is going to discontinue theirs already and not to mention it has a unique 3L V6 turbodiesel engine on it.

With the tuning of the B58, I wonder if Toyota have done their own tuning, to see how much power they could extract. In think, in this thread, there is talk of Gazoo offering a package in the future, but how hot will they make it? Just a light tune like the N24 race car or stages of tune?

I saw my first Supra on a public road and I must say, I was even less impressed compared to two months ago when I saw the Supra for the first time IRL.

Black is definitely the color to get for an A90. Hides all the fussy details. The basic massing is pretty decent....kind of TVR-esque.

While I agree in principle, I just can't say no to the yellow. It's such a good tone. Someone will release a cleaner replacement door skin at some point, right?!

Someone will release a cleaner replacement door skin at some point, right?!
Eliminating the "intake" slit, presumably. You know, I...I don't mind it. I don't love it, but of all the scoops and scoops and vents and scoops, I think I find it the least offensive.

Eliminating the "intake" slit, presumably. You know, I...I don't mind it. I don't love it, but of all the scoops and scoops and vents and scoops, I think I find it the least offensive.

It's not even so much the slit, but the shutlines, which make that whole portion of the door look pasted on. Re-sculpt that section and I think the car would look a lot cleaner.

To my eyes it still looks exotic in the wild. The red and yellow ones were both at the Canada HQ when I popped in earlier this week to trade cars. It's so refreshingly compact too.

It's not even so much the slit, but the shutlines, which make that whole portion of the door look pasted on. Re-sculpt that section and I think the car would look a lot cleaner.
I suspect I'm not seeing what it is you're referring to. Is it most prominent in the leading edge, trailing edge or rocker? At what viewing angle is it most apparent.

The only objectionable thing about the door, if not the slit itself, is how the slit manifests in the door and the way that part of the panel appears to have been an afterthought.

https://www.goauto.com.au/future-mo...iants-coming-every-year/2019-09-03/79834.html
Mr Tada said that all aspects of the sportscar are eligible to be tweaked as part of annual upgrades that will take place across its lifecycle, the first of which will be unveiled around mid-2020.
“Not just the power. Suspension, body, (too),” he said. “Every year we will update. Otherwise, sportscar people just get bored.
“We’ve started already on development for the upgrade next year.”
Mr Tada was quick to add that he did not believe the new Supra had any shortcomings in its current form, which need to be addressed. Instead, the yearly updates will focus on creating different versions of the sportscar for particular purposes.
“The current Supra is a base model, but sportscars should have a different direction, like a track side people maybe want,” he said.
“There’s so many different directions. To respond to every single direction, I would actually like to introduce (something). But, of course, (it costs) more money (to develop).”

https://www.goauto.com.au/new-model...-reborn-supra-sportscar/2019-09-03/79826.html

2019 Toyota Supra pricing*

GT (a) $84,900
GTS (a) $94,900
*Excludes on-road costs

BMW’s B48 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four-cylinder engine is available in the Supra in other markets, outputting either 145kW/320Nm or 190kW/400Nm, but Mr Hanley said Toyota Australia opted to focus on the straight six from launch.

“We’ll continue to review the market going forward, of course,” he said. “We also recognise that with any sports performance car, you have a peak and then it kind of falls off over a period of time, but our stock on this car is extremely limited, so I don’t expect Supra to experience that kind of trend.”

The GTS adds larger rear disc brakes, red brake callipers, 19-inch alloy wheels, a windshield-projected head-up display, a 425W JBL sound system with 12 speakers, and sports pedals plus the exclusive options of Nurburg Matte Grey paintwork and Alcantara upholstery, both of which are priced at $2500. It also gets the no-cost option of red leather-accented upholstery.

Alternatively, seven other no-cost exterior colours are available, including Fuji White, Suzuka Silver, Goodwood Grey, Monza Red, Silverstone Yellow, Le Mans Blue and Bathurst Black.

Mr Hanley said: “When you look at the mix of orders that we’ve received, GTS is by far the more popular grade, (with a share of more than 80 per cent), and the most in-demand colours are Nurburg Matte Grey and Monza Red – as you may expect.”

Interesting...https://www.goauto.com.au/news/toyo...ota-supra-possible-tada/2019-09-04/79871.html

“A very simple, thoughtful response led me to a winding difficult road,” he said.

The negotiations over what type of model should be produced together then started, but after many meetings, a conclusion could not be reached.

Mr Tada later suggested that TMC and BMW Group take a look at the key sportscars produced by each other, ultimately agreeing to meet at one of the latter’s proving grounds, where an i8 prototype and the 86 and Lexus LFA production models were available to drive.

From Mr Tada’s perspective, the way in which BMW Group staff were driving the 86 and LFA suggested that they had never sampled any of TMC’s products before. Conversely, the Japanese company buys every single one of its Bavarian partner’s models to test when they are released.

This was BMW Group’s first experience with core development, with Mr Tada concerned at the time that it did not understand the significance of such a project.

I actually got to use that speed sign feature in our brand new HiLux work utes. Even told me the speeds during road works. Pretty cool feature.

Someone very close to where I live, about 1 km away, bought a dark matt grey A90. It was the same that I saw last week.

Toyota does not have a dual clutch automatic gearbox?

Not that I'm aware of. I've heard rumors it's due to Toyota wanting a transmission they deem reliable enough, but it could also be due to BMW only building their DCT in M vehicles (afaik).

Back