Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Yeah... the Ford one is just crap. Nothing to do with it being suitable or not for the mainstream buyer (certainly given the VW Group produces DSGs for just about every product in their portfolio at almost all price points).

In general, for the average consumer, DCTs are no better or worse than conventional autos.

With how good some of the latest planetary 'boxes are, I don't see much benefit to a DCT outside of marginally faster shift times. I really don't like how DCTs behave at low speeds. Honda's setup with the torque converter was better, but that one had other issues. I haven't driven a PDK, but I would like to!

Have you not driven an excellent one?
Haven't driven a $150k Porsche, no.

Yeah... the Ford one is just crap. Nothing to do with it being suitable or not for the mainstream buyer (certainly given the VW Group produces DSGs for just about every product in their portfolio at almost all price points).

In general, for the average consumer, DCTs are no better or worse than conventional autos.
Wet clutch DCTs like the DSG tend to be better. Dry clutch, especially in a sub $25k car, are usually clunky and erratic and come with a list of do's and do not's that most people ignore.

I drove a new diesel Passat around Sydney. Felt hiccupy to me. Also drove a new Golf, but that felt fine. Weird to go up the gears so quickly when the city speed limits are 60 km/h.

With how good some of the latest planetary 'boxes are, I don't see much benefit to a DCT outside of marginally faster shift times. I really don't like how DCTs behave at low speeds. Honda's setup with the torque converter was better, but that one had other issues. I haven't driven a PDK, but I would like to!
I've seen co-workers share this feeling.

They had driven a couple for their first time at work, and they're immediate reaction was as if they were driving stick. Wondering why the car doesn't move off the gas, or feels like it's "stalling" at 5mph, didn't seem like cars they'd enjoy driving on the street. This was an older Panamera & Boxster though, so their use could have been a factor but I saw what they were talking about when I drove them. I did drive a '18 Turbo S back to another store that still felt like that & you could feel engagement coming off the brake and easing into the throttle, but it was way, way smoother.

Certainly in the early days of DSG the UK press would report on them behaving strangely when creeping or merging into traffic from a junction. Witnessed it myself once from behind a Golf GT and saw it juddering for a few feet before drive engaged properly.

I'd be surprised if they're not a whole lot better now, but I'd be quite satisfied with a conventional torque converter from ZF.

I need to change something because all I see (every time) is a little blue (twitter) bird. :ouch:

Naamloos.jpg

Last edited:
Someone took photos from a private dealer meeting of a new Supra special edition. Looks to be BMW's Misano Blue.
svkku84-jpg.16287

9uhxqne-jpg.16288

usi5i56-jpg.16289

There's a video of the reveal as well in the IG post.

I've seen one in the flesh again and this car is so ugly that it is not worthy of my attention. :D

Last edited:
Someone took photos from a private dealer meeting of a new Supra special edition. Looks to be BMW's Misano Blue.
svkku84-jpg.16287

9uhxqne-jpg.16288

usi5i56-jpg.16289

There's a video of the reveal as well in the IG post.

Toyota has its own light blue color that is used on other models such as CH-R, RAV4, GT86 and Aygo called Cyan Splash.

BTW, parked next to my Aygo! 8O

WqVADtpCWOs.jpg

Last edited:
Toyota has its own light blue color that is used on other models such as CH-R, RAV4, GT86 and Aygo called Cyan Splash.

BTW, parked next to my Aygo! 8O

WqVADtpCWOs.jpg
Weird that it's Cyan blue as that's the name & color of the Volvo racing program.

In Australia it's Eclectic Blue
kJRpe1QT9cTTL87VLrLQ

01_o.jpg

TRD (Toyota Customizing & Development) will be holding a complete car "GR Supra 3000GT CONCEPT" customized in the new "Supra" on October 21, "2019 SEMA SHOW" in Las Vegas, USA (local time: November 5) It was announced for the first time in the world.

In addition to the GR Supra 3000GT CONCEPT, TRD exhibited the "GR Supra Performance Line CONCEPT" equipped with aero parts sold in Japan at the "2019 SEMA SHOW" North American Toyota booth held at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
 For the GR Supra 3000GT CONCEPT, which will be released for the first time in the world, a special website for the GR Supra 3000GT CONCEPT is opened and information is disseminated. Details will be revealed at the press conference on November 5 (local time).

It looks pretty neat so far!

And for anyone about to watch the video, just mute it. The music is horrendous. :yuck:

Back