Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Before this past Saturday, I never got to see the latest Toyota Supra in person. In fact, at the 2020 Houston Auto Show, I saw three of these! I still think this car is styled too aggressively to be beautiful or stylish. I do, though, love its stock car variant. The latest Supra is growing on me, but very slowly.

I still have yet to see one on the road, only in the showrooms. It would be interesting if these get real cheap in the next few years, that BMW unreliability though...

I got to see a red one yesterday when my girlfriend picked up her new car. Absolutely stunning in that colour.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/02/2...55-hp-turbo-four-382-hp-3-0l-and-a91-edition/

No doubt, the big news for the 2021 Toyota GR Supra is the introduction of a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine, the nameplate’s first-ever four-pot. As expected, it’s also sourced from BMW and it delivers 255 HP at 5,000-6,500 rpm and 295 lb-ft of torque from 1,550 to 4,400 rpm.

Bridging the gap between the Toyota 86 and the Supra 3.0, the 2021 GR Supra 2.0 base model is far from a slouch. Hooked to the same eight-speed auto as the six-cylinder model, the Supra 2.0 is projected to do 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) in 5.0 seconds and reach an electronically limited top track speed of 155 mph (250 km/h). This will make it Toyota’s second quickest vehicle in the lineup behind the Supra 3.0.

There’s more great news for Supra enthusiasts as the 3.0-liter model gets a power boost and revised chassis tuning for 2021. Just like in the BMW Z4 M40i sister car, the turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six now makes 382 HP at 5,800-6,500 rpm and 368 lb-ft (499 Nm) of torque at 1,800-5,000 rpm. The gains of 47 HP and 3 lb-ft (4 Nm) over the 2020 model enable the 2021 Supra 3.0 to do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, an improvement of 0.2 seconds over the 2020 model.

2021-Toyota-GR-Supra-family-9.jpg

The 2.0 Turbo is good news in my opinion. Should be easy to chip it towards 300hp, less weight, less Dollars. Handling could be a bit more sharp too, as it, as Toyota promised, should weight about 100kg less. And it can maybe give the Supra a longer live, as this will reduce the average fuel consumption of the model line up. Also I expect, that the used car value of the 4 cylinder will not be as good as it´s bigger brother, so maybe we can have in a few years quite some wellpriced Supras at the dealerships.

Last edited:
Since the Supra was released, I start to appreciate the GT86 a lot more. If it was legally possible over here in this retarded country State to put a turbo intercooler or supercharger (correct?) on a GT86, I'd definitely without a doubt go for the GT86 and definitely not choose this ugly overstyled Supra (sorry Supra lovers but I really don't like the Supra :P).

Since the Supra was released, I start to appreciate the GT86 a lot more. If it was legally possible over here in this retarded country State to put a turbo intercooler or supercharger (correct?) on a GT86, I'd definitely without a doubt go for the GT86 and definitely not choose this ugly overstyled Supra (sorry Supra lovers but I really don't like the Supra :P).

Rumor is that the next 86 will be turbocharged.

The tuner who did my GT86 gave me a drive in his supercharged GT86 with around 320hp. That car was in all aspects perfect!

The tuner who did my GT86 gave me a drive in his supercharged GT86 with around 320hp. That car was in all aspects perfect!
Dan mag je jouw GT86 aan mij eens voorstellen! :P

Translation, kind of: Then you can introduce your GT86 to me.

Last edited:
Dan mag je jouw GT86 aan mij eens voorstellen! :P

Translation, kind of: Then you can introduce your GT86 to me.

Well, it's not that much more powerful than stock, but I just marginally beat the new Fiesta ST in a straight line now (although probably nothing to gloat about...). Stock the GT86 has 180hp at the wheels at most, my tuner reckons it should be around 210hp at the wheels now.

What I like most about it is the boxer engine rumble, and the fact that at 3,000 rpm it starts to pick up. It adds so much to the overall enjoyment of the car. When the weather clears up, feel free to send me a message man, we'll go for a drive! You'll find me at the Zolder racetrack every now and then! :D

Well, it's not that much more powerful than stock, but I just marginally beat the new Fiesta ST in a straight line now (although probably nothing to gloat about...). Stock the GT86 has 180hp at the wheels at most, my tuner reckons it should be around 210hp at the wheels now.

What I like most about it is the boxer engine rumble, and the fact that at 3,000 rpm it starts to pick up. It adds so much to the overall enjoyment of the car. When the weather clears up, feel free to send me a message man, we'll go for a drive! You'll find me at the Zolder racetrack every now and then! :D
That's a date. Oh wait, uuhh. Hehe :sly:

I haven't been to the Zolder track in a very long time.

Let me know when you'll be there and so will I.

Last edited:
An interesting write up on the Supra from Automobile's 2020 All-Stars selection:

The Toyota Supra became quite a polarizing talking point from the day it arrived to All-Stars, mostly due to having BMW-labeled parts. So this is my take on the shared-parts, "it's not really a Supra" grumblings that have been heard since before the car hit the market: I actually have no idea why all the fuss; there was nothing like this hysteria when the Scion FRS/Toyota 86 variant of the BRZ arrived as the result of that partnership with Subaru. Okay, so the Supra has decades of "legend" behind it that those cars did not, but in the end, we got served two quite capable rear-drive hot rods, instead of zero—wow, such a problem. Likewise, with the Supra and BMW Z4 we got two more fun sports cars to play with. The alternative? The possibility of BMW killing the Z4 and Toyota not bothering. Three cheers for deal making, imagination, and realistic foresight, I say.

One other point: We were lucky to have the Supra and BMW Z4 M40i at All-Stars this year. They don't look the same inside or out, they sound and drive differently, plus the BMW costs almost $14,000 more. Who cares if the welcome chime on a BMW sounds like the Supra? Maybe only a certain population of journalists, social media instigators, and the odd BMW owner?

The 2020 Toyota Supra is a blast to drive, whether on a trip to the store, all day, or on your favorite racetrack. It can provide buckets of accessible driving fun without landing you in jail. It's a modern sports car for the masses, complete with attention-grabbing looks, an attitude, and the chops to back it all up. With a base price of just $49,990, the Supra's existence means a car buyer's life is very good right now.

Wasef made the definitive observation: "The Supra holds an important flame for sports car lovers everywhere." I could not agree more. The 2020 Toyota Supra is a most worthy All-Star, generating more conversation, opinion, and expletives than any other vehicle at this year's Automobile shootout. For that, it really deserves a second, standalone award.

I mean, this probably won't change the minds of some of the JDM weebs that have been bashing this car from the time that we got a good crystallization of what the A90 would be, but at least it's still holding onto the glowing reviews that it did on first tests, in more 'real world' scenarios.

After the dust has settled, I’m really glad and very proud of toyota for finally making interesting cars again. The new supra seems awesome, and the styling has really grown on me. Ive seen a couple in the wild now and i must say they look great! Good job toyota, please continue being interesting.

Regardless of how much hysteria the Supra is still getting not being Glorious A80 Master Race:
So this is my take on the shared-parts, "it's not really a Supra" grumblings that have been heard since before the car hit the market: I actually have no idea why all the fuss; there was nothing like this hysteria when the Scion FRS/Toyota 86 variant of the BRZ arrived as the result of that partnership with Subaru.
This is an absurd statement, and I hope the author is just ignorant rather than actively being misleading to make a point.

The BreezeFrees was a partnership that Toyota took point on, to the extent that part of its infamous production delays was Toyota spending half a year trying to convince Subaru to get involved even after they had been working in it by themselves anyway. Toyota working with Subaru to build it was Toyota working with what was functionally a new part of Toyota to try to pool engineering work into something a little new for both companies. Regardless of the BreezeFrees' compromises, no one called into question how much of a Toyota it was because Toyota was trying to bring it to market well before Subaru was involved at all.

The Supra, in comparison, is the halo car of Toyota's range that Toyota had so little interest in involving themselves with that even the behind the scenes info for the development makes it sound like Toyota was just rubber stamping work BMW did by themselves and cutting it down so it bisected the Z4 and BreezeFrees in price. Whether or not it's the greatest car in the segment and holds up just as well in real use after the launch hype died down, there absolutely is barely any Toyota in it; and people who aren't provided the cars for free for magazines (and are presumably fans of the Toyota brand) are the ones who Toyota actually have to convince for whether it's a problem or not that their idea to build a Toyota enthusiast flagship was to rebody a BMW.

Last edited:
Regardless of how much hysteria the Supra is still getting not being Glorious A80 Master Race:

This is an absurd statement, and I hope the author is just ignorant rather than actively being misleading to make a point.

The BreezeFrees was a partnership that Toyota took point on, to the extent that part of its infamous production delays was Toyota spending half a year trying to convince Subaru to get involved even after they had been working in it by themselves anyway. Toyota working with Subaru to build it was Toyota working with what was functionally a new part of Toyota to try to pool engineering work into something a little new for both companies. Regardless of the BreezeFrees' compromises, no one called into question how much of a Toyota it was because Toyota was trying to bring it to market well before Subaru was involved at all.

The Supra, in comparison, is the halo car of Toyota's range that Toyota had so little interest in involving themselves with that even the behind the scenes info for the development makes it sound like Toyota was just rubber stamping work BMW did by themselves and cutting it down so it bisected the Z4 and BreezeFrees in price. Whether or not it's the greatest car in the segment and holds up just as well in real use after the launch hype died down, there absolutely is barely any Toyota in it; and people who aren't provided the cars for free for magazines (and are presumably fans of the Toyota brand) are the ones who Toyota actually have to convince for whether it's a problem or not that their idea to build a Toyota enthusiast flagship was to rebody a BMW.
Mazda helped Toyota with the 86.
Toyota also wanted the collaboration with BMW.
It wasn't so much about Toyota buying into Mazda/Mazda buying into Toyota. Just running through some Australian articles. These are a couple years ago

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1508/ten-things-you-didn’t-know-about-the-mazda-mx-5
Mr Yamamoto revealed he co-operated with Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada to help make the latter pair better sports cars, because Mazda believes the resulting competition would grow the market and help foster the next generation of enthusiasts, benefiting the entire Japanese car industry.

mazda-mx-5-under-the-microscope

From 2013, talks about the Subaru/Toyota collab(and BMW)

1. lt wasn't so much about Toyota buying into Mazda/Mazda buying into Toyota. Just running through some Australian articles. These are a couple years ago
  2. https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1508/ten-things-you-didn’t-know-about-the-mazda-mx-5

mazda-mx-5-under-the-microscope

From 2013, talks about the Subaru/Toyota collab(and BMW)
    “Actually we tried to do this secretly but the executives found us out. They said: “what are you doing? Will you please focus on the coupé.” So that was our focal point and it was only with the success of the coupé that we were able to bring out the prototype of the convertible. It would never have existed without the support from you and the customers.

“It’s just my personal dream that the GT86 could become a family like what BMW has done with the Mini family. I hope that happens. I also have five dogs myself and I would like to have them in the car, so a sports shooting break would be just right.

“Actually I am flying to Munich after the [Geneva] motor show for discussion about the future cooperation with BMW. We are already discussing what we can do and the potential results of this collaboration. One of the things we learned from our cooperation with Subaru is how to bring these two different cultures together. Something like the GT86 sports car was particularly difficult in terms of collaboration, but what we can take from it is the experience of figuring out how we can get the obstacles to us working together for us. I am hoping that we can leverage this experience when we work with BMW. So just like we bought the GT86 out of our work with Subaru, I am hoping for a synergy effect with BMW that will result in a product that none of us could have imagined; something more than anyone expects. I would like that to be something like a sports car… I would even go so far as to say that for the collaboration to work we have to bring a product which exceeds all these expectations.

“It is absolutely essential to have great connections with each other that go beyond just pure business logic. I was able to have remarkable encounters with people at Subaru and we had supporters behind us on the Toyota and the Subaru side. I’d even say these connections have to happen if the BMW collaboration is to work. If we carried along the lines of same-old, same-old, then nothing good will come out of this.

“At the moment we are struggling, because we are having this really business-like dealing with BMW and we haven’t really been able to get through that barrier so far. Perhaps I need to meet them socially and drink beer and eat sausage together. In fact the one time I felt we went beyond the business-like barrier was when we all went to Oktoberfest and drank beer. That was the one time, when we were drinking together that I thought, these are unexpectedly good people…

“I have a friend in Mazda, he is chief engineer on the MX-5 and of course they have just announced a cooperation with Alfa Romeo. Because we talk a lot, I know he is going through very tough times because he is trying to get this project rolling. In collaborative projects like we have experienced, there is always going to be a long, long time where you are in doubt about it all, asking yourself, ‘why are we doing this? Why are we in this collaboration? Wouldn’t it be quicker just to do it ourselves?’ – there’s always this period. Luckily for the collaboration on the GT86, we got to a turning point in the collaboration, where we became one team (Team 86) and that goes beyond being Japanese and German, but having a common goal and all working towards the same thing. I’m hoping that the collaboration between Toyota and BMW will at some stage reach the same thing.

“We are investigating several aspects [to this deal] and I assume that it will be much tougher than what we’ve had with the Subaru deal. One thing that makes it difficult is that we don’t have a cross shareholding relationship.”
https://ichitaka05.wordpress.com/tag/mazda/

Last edited:
Oh man, I forgot to do this. I wanted to share my own pictures of seeing a Mk.5 Supra in-person for the first time. I saw these at the Washington DC Auto Show (twice).

The design of it is growing on me more, but I'm still not a fan of the nose.
DSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0273.JPG
DSC_0275.JPG
DSC_0276.JPG

Back