Toyota Wants to Get to Know Potential GR Super Sport Customers Before They Buy

I can respect the whole concept of picking your customers the way Ferrari and several other manufacturers do it.

I’d be pretty annoyed too if the super-limited car I spent years developing into the perfect driving experience got turned into glorified stocks the moment it drove off the factory lot. Car companies want to sell their super exclusive products to people who they know really want them and aren’t just there to make a profit and nothing else.

I can respect the whole concept of picking your customers the way Ferrari and several other manufacturers do it.

I’d be pretty annoyed too if the super-limited car I spent years developing into the perfect driving experience got turned into glorified stocks the moment it drove off the factory lot. Car companies want to sell their super exclusive products to people who they know really want them and aren’t just there to make a profit and nothing else.
The profit makers are still there, they're just the more patient owners who work their way up into the early-mid production run of cars who use the 18-month minimum hold to their advantage. After that time, the production run is still going, other owners are still held the 18-rule, & those early owners can sell for an even bigger profit because Ferrari doesn't want the market saturated.

Is his company in a position to make such requests though? I doubt it.

Is Toyota? It's kind of telling that the questionnaire only asks if you've owned two specific cars in the past - the 2000GT (which dates back to 1967) and the Lexus LF-A. Even Toyota doesn't associate the Toyota brand with this kind of car. I'm sure they'll sell all of the GR Super Sports they'll build, though - to collectors, solely because they'll be rare.

Glickenhaus is not putting any strings attached to their car unlike other car manufacturers.

I gotta respect that.

Back